Ed Woodward 2019 - Until all Arctic ice melts edition

ArjenIsM3

"our way of recruitment is the right one"

Something that's been criticized by every manager since Woodward took over, which has led to countless squad issues both on the pitch and financially.

Huh.

I bet he thinks the way he hires managers is the right way too.

But also, he's definitely a Scouse agent.
To be honest our signings have been good since Ole is here.

Rafaeldagold

Ed saying our target of winning trophies is utter shite

He’s hired a mid table manager & allowed us to go through a season with not enough strikers & a weaker midfield to last year.

How the fcuk is that going to win us trophies Ed when other teams are improving from a better base than us?

AllezLesDiables

Not surprised at this at all. As I mentioned, in North America getting a new General Manager (GM, the DoF equivalent) takes weeks at most to get done and the new GM is usually in place very shortly after the old one is sacked.

The problem here is that the revenue and profits continue to rise, which allows the current management to continue to toss out garbage about a commitment to winning because they just point to the financial success as evidence that they know how to make money ergo they know how to create a winning team.

United is, in a sense, too big to fail at the moment. This will continue until United’s performance begins to erode its ability to increase profits. Given the payout of being in the PL, the TV/streaming/partnerships etc. I don’t think decreasing revenues kick in for several years unless United gets relegated and/or misses EL and CL play for 5-7 years consecutively.

The bigger issue here is losing out on future generations who aren’t born into die hard United families, who don’t see players they dream about becoming when they get older.

Aside from Pogba and De Gea is there anyone else that a kid would want to become when he grows up? Or do you think they’d rather be the next De Bruyne, Aguero, Sterling, Salah, or Van Dijk.

Maybe some kids in Wales want to be the next Daniel James, but when you have 670 million person global fan base, United needs marque players for kids to emulate and they need winning teams to embrace, otherwise the next generation of fans become City fans or Liverpool fans.

AshRK

Don't hold your breath Idxomer, we may think he's doing a crap job but his employers will be thrilled with him when they look at the revenue rolling in.
Then maybe they don't realise it is not sustainable. We are just making money of our nostalgic value. If this crap continues for another 10 years then we will no longer be the biggest club in England let alone europe. I won't be surprised if we eventually see change of ownership. I feel Glazers are not stupid , the moment they realise the club has reached it's peak point and it requires more investment than profit they will sell the sinking ship.

Rafaeldagold

Not surprised at this at all. As I mentioned, in North America getting a new General Manager (GM, the DoF equivalent) takes weeks at most to get done and the new GM is usually in place very shortly after the old one is sacked.

The problem here is that the revenue and profits continue to rise, which allows the current management to continue to toss out garbage about a commitment to winning because they just point to the financial success as evidence that they know how to make money ergo they know how to create a winning team.

United is, in a sense, too big to fail at the moment. This will continue until United’s performance begins to erode its ability to increase profits. Given the payout of being in the PL, the TV/streaming/partnerships etc. I don’t think decreasing revenues kick in for several years unless United gets relegated and/or misses EL and CL play for 5-7 years consecutively.

The bigger issue here is losing out on future generations who aren’t born into die hard United families, who don’t see players they dream about becoming when they get older.

Aside from Pogba and De Gea is there anyone else that a kid would want to become when he grows up? Or do you think they’d rather be the next De Bruyne, Aguero, Sterling, Salah, or Van Dijk.

Maybe some kids in Wales want to be the next Daniel James, but when you have 670 million person global fan base, United needs marque players for kids to emulate and they need winning teams to embrace, otherwise the next generation of fans become City fans or Liverpool fans.
Exactly. The damage is being done every season we still have a mediocre manager & squad not competing for anything. The next generation will grow up Liverpool/City fans because we’re resting on our laurels.

r0663664

Worships Man City
For all you know, profit is still up next year. Ole probably paid much less than Jose. Start selling top earners in the club and replace with academy players/mid table players. Signing Pogba and De Gea is to locked them to a longer in order to sell at higher price. US run companies are always focus on revenue and cost. As long as our revenues goes up who cares about results.

AneRu

Then maybe they don't realise it is not sustainable. We are just making money of our nostalgic value. If this crap continues for another 10 years then we will no longer be the biggest club in England let alone europe. I won't be surprised if we eventually see change of ownership. I feel Glazers are not stupid , the moment they realise the club has reached it's peak point and it requires more investment than profit they will sell the sinking ship.
I think ten years is too long, next year revenues are projected to be lower than next year due to lack of CL football and on current form we arent making it next season either. We have one of the biggest wage bills in the world and we can't sustain that without CL football whilst the team is in need of major surgery even after spending big on defenders this summer. I think the club as a business has peaked and without significant investment revenues are going to fall to match our new reality e.g I don't see Adidas/Chevrolet/AON renewing their respective deals at current values. The time to sell is now or the value they expect will be significantly affected the longer this malaise continues.

UnitedFan93

Blame him all you want, but at the end of the day it's the Glazers that are keeping him in his job.

The real problem at the club isn't Woodward, it's the Glazers. They're the virus slowing killing our club.

Greck

"wage bill of £332.3m is up by over £36m on the previous year"
How the feck has our wage bill gone up? We've sold a pile of experienced pros and replaced them with teenagers.
These guys must have yearly percentage increments kicking in or something. One could say our wage budget is even worsely managed than our debt which is quite the feat

Enigma_87

You know who
To be honest our signings have been good since Ole is here.
It has been couple of matches. Let's see how they unravel after a full season or so. Also love it how he takes the credit for someone like Maguire - who he overpaid and vetoed last year...

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
What would be more worrying and probably quite believable is they do know it’s not sustainable but are milking it anyway and then sell when it runs out of steam. We all know they have no love or affiliation with our club. I really don’t understand any fan that hasn’t got a real hatred of the glazers. The worst kind of rich owner.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
The squad right now is paper thin due to injuries, I've never known a team get so many injuries than United and this has been happening for years now.

No one can say the managers have not been backed in the transfer market. We have spent millions and millions on players, its not Woodward/Glazers fault the managers have bought absolute tripe. No one has bought worse than Mourinho. Ole has the impossible job of clearing out the deadwood and he's doing that in part, although I can't agree with selling Lukaku and Herrera allowed to leave. The 3 players Ole has bought are our 3 best performing players, and hes got De Gea to sign up.

This mess is going to take some years to sort out, we are all used to seeing success after success in recent years but if you really support the club you are going to need to be patient, sure moan when we play garbage like against West Ham, I will, and there are likely to be a few more spankings along the way but at least now there is some direction in recruitment, we can't attract the biggest names, we are going to have to build a squad like Klopp has done at Liverpool and the scouts are going to have to earn their wages and find some hidden talents like we did with Ronaldo.

This is going to take time and going to be painful at times but you can't have success constantly forever, no one can. We are going to be bad this season but next season with a few more signings things might start to come together. Its a long road ahead unfortunately.
The team won't improve till Woodward is replaced by somebody who actually knows what's he's doing with regards to the footballing side of the business.

We've seen the squad get worse every year while paying more money in wages annually.

meamth

Ed saying our target of winning trophies is utter shite

He’s hired a mid table manager & allowed us to go through a season with not enough strikers & a weaker midfield to last year.

How the fcuk is that going to win us trophies Ed when other teams are improving from a better base than us?
I think that statement is very vague. What Ed really meant is "Winning trophies doesn't mean this season or the next, but the time will surely come when all things went to plan..."

Okay Ed, sign all the wonderkids in the world. We're waiting.

Alabaster Codify7

I think it's funny, any club that has to publicly state that they do indeed want to win trophies is very telling. Surely that's something that goes without saying, for any big club in the world. The fact they need to state this shows that they do know we are visibly looking like shite to outsiders.

sparx99

"wage bill of £332.3m is up by over £36m on the previous year"
How the feck has our wage bill gone up? We've sold a pile of experienced pros and replaced them with teenagers.
It’s prior year financial results up until 30 June. Sanchez would still be fully in there, Lukaku would be in there. Fellaini up until January, Herrera contract wouldn’t have expired until 30june either. Basically it includes all our signings from last year and none of this years.

Speedicut75

It’s prior year financial results up until 30 June. Sanchez would still be fully in there, Lukaku would be in there. Fellaini up until January, Herrera contract wouldn’t have expired until 30june either. Basically it includes all our signings from last year and none of this years.
Ah yes, that makes sense. Was wondering the same.

caid

That makes sense. Thanks.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Now the dust has settled since Ole's first few games and he looks to be absolutely clueless, I wonder what thought went into hiring him in the first place as interim. If they had any sort of a plan or if they were just in short-term reaction mode.

It's gotten to the point where it's kind of pointless to carry on like this, but at the same time, without a proper remit and backing, no top manager is going to want to ruin their reputation by joining this poisoned chalice. And I wouldn't want a new manager to come in and lower their ambitions to not clash with the owners.

We desperately need to have ambitious footballing people running the footballing side of the club before anything worth pursuing can happen.

Thisistheone

Now the dust has settled since Ole's first few games and he looks to be absolutely clueless, I wonder what thought went into hiring him in the first place as interim. If they had any sort of a plan or if they were just in short-term reaction mode.

We desperately need to have ambitious footballing people running the footballing side of the club before anything worth pursuing can happen.
It's all short term reaction mode. Everything about his time here since 2013 screams reactive. Just like us fans. We're all short term/reactive at times. Because we're not professionals. We don't get paid millions a year to get these huge decisions right.

He's been and continues to be behind the curve at every turn. Ole is yet another disaster.
How many managers will he go through before getting it right?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

We really are finished aren't we? Can't see things improving as long as dolorous ed is calling any shots
Deary me. Yes, we’ve signed 3 good players. One of which we should have signed 2 or 3 seasons ago. In fact your previous manager made him a number one priority and you didn’t back him. Also, you’ve let go Sanchez, Lukaku, Ander Herrera and Fellaini without replacing any of them. That’s a fecking woeful way of doing things.

“Our way of recruitment is the right one” He genuinely believes he’s doing a good job, doesn’t he — the deluded chubby faced twat!

As long as he’s here, and the Glazers, we may as well pack it in — we’re fecked.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
As fire is flying around Ole head atm, am still absolutely amazed that after a well-thought process this git decided that the best way to go forward is to put a managerial novice in charge of rebuilding one of the biggest teams in the world. Without the help of expirienced DoF. Which he planned to put before that very appointment. And after all the shit he's done before.

That team out there is a pretty good reflection of his work so far. Bewildered he is not under serious pressure tbh. And it is just so easy for him, he can always hide behind the next that comes in.

Well done, Ed.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Posted this in the Wenger thread, but tbh, it's more fitting to be in here...

I think that at this point Woodward will be actively stopping us from being able to appoint the best managers.

I think younger guys like Rodgers, Howe, maybe Pochettino, would consider us - but Woodward is clearly way out of control. He's a toxic element that at this point many managers will want to avoid working with.

Lest we forget that Klopp out and out rejected Utd because of a single meeting with Woodward - and that was back before Woodward had really begun his reign of madness.

The club has slowly come to resemble his image - a comical, bloated, pompous brand that is all bells and whistles but utterly no substance.

Woodward has hollowed out Utd like a parasite and made it a shell for his own ego to reside inside.

That's what Man Utd is at this point.

The footage of him telling Jones, or whoever, to 'stop' is so ironic, because it's him who needs to be told to 'stop', and also because he shouldn't be telling any footballer what to do - he's a fecking muppet, and a complete clown.

Ed Woodward has literally ruined Manchester United.

red thru&thru

Posted this in the Wenger thread, but tbh, it's more fitting to be in here...

I think that at this point Woodward will be actively stopping us from being able to appoint the best managers.

I think younger guys like Rodgers, Howe, maybe Pochettino, would consider us - but Woodward is clearly way out of control. He's a toxic element that at this point many managers will want to avoid working with.

Lest we forget that Klopp out and out rejected Utd because of a single meeting with Woodward - and that was back before Woodward had really begun his reign of madness.

The club has slowly come to resemble his image - a comical, bloated, pompous brand that is all bells and whistles but utterly no substance.

Woodward has hollowed out Utd like a parasite and made it a shell for his own ego to reside inside.

That's what Man Utd is at this point.

The footage of him telling Jones, or whoever, to 'stop' is so ironic, because it's him who needs to be told to 'stop', and also because he shouldn't be telling any footballer what to do - he's a fecking muppet, and a complete clown.

Ed Woodward has literally ruined Manchester United.
I couldn't agree more. Glazer's really need to get rid of this man or at least far away from footballing decisions as possible.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
"our recruitment department’s robust process and early alignment on targets with the manager meant we were able to approach the window in a focused and disciplined way."
Woodward in the recent quarterly earnings call.

Fluctuation0161

As fire is flying around Ole head atm, am still absolutely amazed that after a well-thought process this git decided that the best way to go forward is to put a managerial novice in charge of rebuilding one of the biggest teams in the world. Without the help of expirienced DoF. Which he planned to put before that very appointment. And after all the shit he's done before.

That team out there is a pretty good reflection of his work so far. Bewildered he is not under serious pressure tbh. And it is just so easy for him, he can always hide behind the next that comes in.

Well done, Ed.
Well said.

red thru&thru

The real problem at United is that so many of our fans, and I use the term loosely will hang on that idiot's every word. Nice to see Karl Pilkington back on form though.
Great to hear an opposite opinion. It's always great to listen to a counter argument. Elaborate on why you don't agree on his points?

Zoo

Ridiculous if true. No manager stands a chance at United.

red thru&thru

Don't get your hopes up, that poster has some bizarre takes. Thinks Roy Keane was just 'decent' etc
Ah, thanks for the heads up. Really annoying when someone says that someone is talking bull and then don't back it up. So really, their comments hold no weight.

And Roy Keane was decent? He obviously never seen him play.