Ed Woodward 2019 - Until all Arctic ice melts edition

Abhinav

Ed Woodward is lucky that in football, commercial results and on pitch performance have a lag due to the inherent loyalty of the ‘customers’/ fans to the brand. In any other business, a CEO who oversees a complete deterioration in the product that the firm is selling and successive product failures would have led to immediate financial impact and the CEO would be shown the door.
But this will end sooner rather than later if our on pitch performance continue and it will start impacting the financial performance of the club. Woodward better find a new job for himself.

fergiesarmy1

So there was no excuse not to invest in the summer then. Protests need to start.
Ed Woodward is lucky that in football, commercial results and on pitch performance have a lag due to the inherent loyalty of the ‘customers’/ fans to the brand. In any other business, a CEO who oversees a complete deterioration in the product that the firm is selling and successive product failures would have led to immediate financial impact and the CEO would be shown the door.
But this will end sooner rather than later if our on pitch performance continue and it will start impacting the financial performance of the club. Woodward better find a new job for himself.
He will be semi retiring after this gig with many millions in the bank and a huge payoff and no concern about the mess he leaves behind.

Fluctuation0161

Good point. In most other industries he would've been sacked in 2014.

Rolaholic

We really are finished aren't we? Can't see things improving as long as dolorous ed is calling any shots

Alabaster Codify7

Hopefully no more inane discussion about DOF then. Ed thinks we're fine. We now can identify all leaks as briefings when results are down the shitter,too.

Banter FC

redshaw

We have a DOF, it's just at United PLC we have a double F.

Director of Football Finances

AshRK

We really are finished aren't we? Can't see things improving as long as dolorous ed is calling any shots
This shows how arrogant he is. He loves having his power and this is the main reason we will never hire a DoF or any other personality who is more outspoken than him. The main reason he sacked Jose was not because he was not doing well but because Jose went on war with Woodward and he knew more Jose stayed the more he will throw punches at this board and Woodward being woodward can ill afford that. Our match going fans need to be more vocal against him or else he will keep fooling everyone.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Until him and the Glazers are gone we will continue to be shit. It's that simple.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
The guys a flipping idiot. Seriously. What's he basing that on exactly? 3 signings that have played a handful of games? Is he forgetting the hundreds of millions squandered before, with absolutely no direction shown as we move from manager to manager?

I'm not even the biggest advocate for a DOF but I can't get over the naive, misplaced confidence of the guy.

Judas

Open to offers
Imagine seeing how shite we are year after year and thinking our way of doing things is right. He's the biggest of clowns.

As a money man, it's quite bizarre how happy he seems to be with us spunking money on absolute shite year after year and thinking "hmmm maybe something could change so we're not wasting money every summer?".

fergiesarmy1

The guys a flipping idiot. Seriously. What's he basing that on exactly? 3 signings that have played a handful of games? Is he forgetting the hundreds of millions squandered before, with absolutely no direction shown as we move from manager to manager?

I'm not even the biggest advocate for a DOF but I can't get over the naive, misplaced confidence of the guy.
losing away to West Ham with no strikers on the pitch for best part of the 2nd half, yeah fantastic Ed.

I Am Zlatan

There has to be something else.. I can’t believe a multi billion dollar corporation, one of the biggest clubs in the world is being run like this... how did the board members, and ed get to where they are being what seemingly so clueless?! I’m seriously baffled.

They must be thinking about selling and trying their best to save as much as possible, the only logical reason to me.

Either way, we deserve better, I’m not entitled, but a club like ours should be doing better, simple as that.

AneRu

I don't know what to do?
Its clear that Woodward is the one blocking the restructuring of the club, he has the temerity to point to last summer's signings well what of the countless flops that have come in for huge money and stunk up the place? It can be argued that the manager himself is a living, walking example of United's poor recruitment.

RedDevilUnited369

This guy is a joke.

Just imagine that 2 summers ago, we had bought Maguire. Then everything played out the same with Jose getting sacked, Ole getting the job.

This summer gone we would be investing in midfielders and forwards.

What erks me is the summer he denied Jose a centre back he came out after the window and said he didn’t feel anyone available was any better than the back four we had.

That is directly interfering in footballing matters. And this is the reason you cannot blame Ole or any other manager going forward until this guy stops meddling.

Either that or get in the dugout yourself and manage the team!!! @EdWoodward

DavidDeSchmikes

The Red Devils are already 10 points adrift of Liverpool after only six top-flight matches this term, but Woodward set out a long-term vision as he promised to stand by Solskjær. United’s executive vice-chairman said on the club’s quarterly investors’ call: “We and our growing global fan-base demand success. Success means winning trophies. That target and that standard has never changed for Manchester United.

“The progress we’ve made on the business side underpins the continued investment in the football side. Much of the progress made around that investment in the academy, the recruitment department and the training ground facilities is behind the scenes and therefore isn’t immediately apparent to those on the outside looking in.

“These investments, together with the commitment we’ve made to Ole and his coaching staff in March have given us the building blocks for success. Whilst we’re confident this investment will deliver results, it’s important that we are patient while Ole and his team build for the future. We will continue to focus on the long-term strategy and won’t be influenced by short-term distractions. We’re optimistic for the future.”
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...medium=&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1569328760

sparx99

It really is tough to swallow this kind of press coverage/conference call. However, despite the poor performance at the weekend and the general lack of depth, the summer has left us with I do get the feeling that this time the approach has changed and we may have something of a plan moving forward.

Patience is the hardest thing in sports to have. Nevermore so than when 6 years of mismanagement has taken a giant of the sport to mediocrity.

In my view, you can see some tiny little green shoots of hope in terms of the way the club is being run. The onfield results will take some time to come though.

Positives
- We appear to have made three good signings this summer in Wan-Bissaka, Maguire & James.
- We rejected the signing of players who would have been coming for the wrong reasons or who weren't excited enough about coming. Dybala & Eriksen etc.
- We sold Fellaini, Lukaku and Smalling. All players with limited technical ability who are ill-suited to modern high energy, high skill football.
- We have signed new deals for De Gea, Lindelof, Rashford and Mata suggesting we won't allow another Herrera situation. In addition, Mata spoke quite revealingly at how the plan sold to him was exciting. Securing De Gea as well suggests that we managed to sell him on our plan (money and lack of other options are at play as well).
- We refused to sell Pogba to Madrid or even consider it.
- We sold Darmian (at last) and loaned out Sanchez (despite the cost).
- When everybody is fit Matic has been benched in favour of McTominay and Young has been replaced by Wan-Bissaka.
- When our first XI was fit we thrashed Chelsea (yes, fortuitously in places) and should have beaten Wolves and Crystal Palace.

Negatives
- We failed to sign at least two players we needed for squad depth/first XI quality. To leave a threadbare squad in a season with Europa League commitments is negligent.
- With the caveat of an unfortunate spate of injuries; Ole and his staff have yet to show they have the acumen to get the most out of this squad. The same lack of creativity still pervades our football.
- Our heavy fitness program seems to have already contributed to several muscle injuries.
- The rumours of our focus on British talent is concerning. I'm all for having a British core but I really hope we aren't turning our nose up at young European talent simply because of their passport. Salah, De Bruyne, Silva, Aguero & Mane are some the stars of this league after all.

I'm an eternal optimist so I know you can look at these things with a cynical eye and claim nothing has changed or look at how far the standards have fallen. I just think that whoever was in charge would need significant time to reset the culture. It may even be the case that Ole doesn't move us much up the table over 2-3yrs but the squad has some carefully chose turnover and we then appoint a top-coach to take those next steps.

Idxomer

He's undoubtedly one of the biggest idiots in football today.

It will be a great day when he is finally out of the club.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat

Don't hold your breath Idxomer, we may think he's doing a crap job but his employers will be thrilled with him when they look at the revenue rolling in.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

What was it Don Henley said about the Eagles getting back together after they split in 1980?

When hell freezes over!

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
The DOF role would consign him back to being a commercial director.

I think he’s narcissistic enough to believe he’s the dogs bollocks at finding players

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly

L…ol

And you still get fans calling for yet another managerial change, thinking that anything can actually improve with this guy in charge.

Sterling Archer

"our way of recruitment is the right one"

Something that's been criticized by every manager since Woodward took over, which has led to countless squad issues both on the pitch and financially.

Huh.

I bet he thinks the way he hires managers is the right way too.

But also, he's definitely a Scouse agent.