Ed Woodward 2019 - Until all Arctic ice melts edition

Alemar

Glazer 101. Taking the money for themselves. They and Ed should be gone soon hopefully
But results are deteriorating. It already affects share price, and another disastrous season may lead to a huge share price draw down.

Spending funds on players doesn’t decrease Enterprise value, either

Eric's Seagull

This isn't aimed at you specifically, I'm just curious as to why our fans are all convinced that having a DoF is automatically going to a success for this club.

Around every signing we make for players, and every manager appointed, there is always without fail an element of doubt as to whether it will work - and rightly so.

With the DoF position though - exactly the opposite. Nobody has any doubt whatsoever that it (whoever it would be) will be a resounding success. It's strange
I think that some fans are sick of there being no continuity of style at the club eg Louis Van Gaal plays possession football so he needs certain types of players to fit his style, then Jose comes in and wants to play counter attacking and some of those players don't fit his style, so he wants players to fit his style. This has resulted on millions getting spent unwisely. Then Ole comes in and he is stuck with the remnants of both eras. At least when we have a DoF he will have a certain style and then the next manager hired will be one that plays that style of football breeding continuity, which we severely lacked these past few years.

Obviously a new manager comes in he is going to want his own players but having the DoF and style in place and securing a manager who plays this style, is going to lead to less of a need of a major overhaul, saving us millions.

Obviously there is going to be a chance these players may fail but at least having a distinct style and buying players that fit that style, in my opinion means there is less chance of that player being a failure here. Also if we have a DoF in we will have a man who has a good level of knowledge, one who Woody should listen to the opinion of. As of the moment it seems that Woody thinks he has enough football knowledge to judge which position we need to sign a player in or not, when to me it seems as if he doesn't have a clue, when we can all see the areas that need improving in the team.

Obviously Woody is still going to have the final say on transfers but hopefully when/if we get a DoF he will decide what players we need and then the only involvement Woody will have in the the process is negotiating the fee and wages of the player that the DoF and manager have decided will improve the team.

Denis' cuff

A DOF won’t necessarily improve anything. Any purchase he wants will still be at the behest of the owners/woody. It won’t make the Glazers suddenly want to spend money on footballers for other reasons than marketing.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Last two years on Caf:
1) "It is early June. Relax"
2) "We have time. More than a month left"
3) "Rivals also don't spend money. No need for panic"
4) "3 weeks left. We can sign at least two more players"
5) "Ed, you fecking sack of shit!"
Last year I panicked a bit early but then there were some idiots on here reminding me that it's still early in the market. We have signed Fred and Bissaka for the first team in 4 months of transfer window time. Considering the glaring need of a RW and a CB and the state of the team on the whole, that's diabolical.

Woodward is a fecking genius.

Johan07

I think that some fans are sick of there being no continuity of style at the club eg Louis Van Gaal plays possession football so he needs certain types of players to fit his style, then Jose comes in and wants to play counter attacking and some of those players don't fit his style, so he wants players to fit his style. This has resulted on millions getting spent unwisely. Then Ole comes in and he is stuck with the remnants of both eras. At least when we have a DoF he will have a certain style and then the next manager hired will be one that plays that style of football breeding continuity, which we severely lacked these past few years.

Obviously a new manager comes in he is going to want his own players but having the DoF and style in place and securing a manager who plays this style, is going to lead to less of a need of a major overhaul, saving us millions.

Obviously there is going to be a chance these players may fail but at least having a distinct style and buying players that fit that style, in my opinion means there is less chance of that player being a failure here. Also if we have a DoF in we will have a man who has a good level of knowledge, one who Woody should listen to the opinion of. As of the moment it seems that Woody thinks he has enough football knowledge to judge which position we need to sign a player in or not, when to me it seems as if he doesn't have a clue, when we can all see the areas that need improving in the team.

Obviously Woody is still going to have the final say on transfers but hopefully when/if we get a DoF he will decide what players we need and then the only involvement Woody will have in the the process is negotiating the fee and wages of the player that the DoF and manager have decided will improve the team.
I am not saying that this is wrong. When it comes to managers that is.
I actually agree on the idea of continuity as such philosophy-wise.
Still, there is not many clubs that actually apply that principle of continuity when it comes to managers. Ajax and Barca, maybe, maybe Bayern.
Otherwise most clubs just appoint the manager that they think will give them most success short-term. As we did with Mourinho. DoF or not. Look at Chelsea. Or Liverpool for that matter. Or even City. I wont even start with Real or any of the Italian clubs.
Just saying that the "continuity manager-appointing" thing is not the biggest stick to beat Woodward with if it even is.

Eric's Seagull

I am not saying that this is wrong. When it comes to managers that is.
I actually agree on the idea of continuity as such philosophy-wise.
Still, there is not many clubs that actually apply that principle of continuity when it comes to managers. Ajax and Barca, maybe, maybe Bayern.
Otherwise most clubs just appoint the manager that they think will give them most success short-term. As we did with Mourinho. DoF or not. Look at Chelsea. Or Liverpool for that matter. Or even City. I wont even start with Real or any of the Italian clubs.
Just saying that the "continuity manager-appointing" thing is not the biggest stick to beat Woodward with if it even is.
Fair point. But maybe we should try this approach to save millions in the future. But hopefully Ole will be extremely successful and we want even have to possibly think about the continuity style approach for a long time :D

ravi2

A DOF won’t necessarily improve anything. Any purchase he wants will still be at the behest of the owners/woody. It won’t make the Glazers suddenly want to spend money on footballers for other reasons than marketing.
And thats why we dont have a DOF, any seasoned DOF knows he will just become the fall guy for Woodward.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

I suspect that if we had hired a DoF alongside Moyes largely the same things would have happened.

Wed still have hired Van Gaal, and he would still wanted his players. Then we would still have hired Mourinho, and he would have wanted his players. These are strong characters who would given exactly zero fecks about a DoF and his opinion.

Perhaps the only difference would have Ben whether we'd have hired Ole, and that might yet turn out to the best part of this story

Alabaster Codify7

Its actually funny, pretending to be calm and collected like thats a some sign of proper United fan, running around this forum and calling others drama queens, moaners etc. is just a bonus.

Topred behaviour mate.
No other 'big club' fans behave like this. They do what fans of a big club do - demand the best.

Woodward and the owners have lucked out and hit the jackpot because they can serve a shit sandwich and the topred fans will say its 'decent'.

Alabaster Codify7

And thats why we dont have a DOF, any seasoned DOF knows he will just become the fall guy for Woodward.

Ding, ding, ding - we have a winner.

Yes mate. This is exactly why we'll never appoint one. Unless it's another Yes Man promoted from within who'd never touch such a prestigious role elsewhere and would be happy to be there and act as the mouth for Ed.

Eric's Seagull

I suspect that if we had hired a DoF alongside Moyes largely the same things would have happened.

Wed still have hired Van Gaal, and he would still wanted his players. Then we would still have hired Mourinho, and he would have wanted his players. These are strong characters who would given exactly zero fecks about a DoF and his opinion.

Perhaps the only difference would have Ben whether we'd have hired Ole, and that might yet turn out to the best part of this story
I believe it would have been different as I stated before that the DoF would ensure a continuity of style. In my opinion one of the key things about a DoF is that they build a rapport with the manager. How do you know for definite that we would have hired Van Gaal post Moyes, then depending how that manager did we may not even needed to hire Mourinho if he had been successful?

ravi2

Ding, ding, ding - we have a winner.

Yes mate. This is exactly why we'll never appoint one. Unless it's another Yes Man promoted from within who'd never touch such a prestigious role elsewhere and would be happy to be there and act as the mouth for Ed.
Which is why he was considering candidates like Rio for the DOF, who better to be a lightening rod and deflect the criticism from him than a United legend?
Ed is as transparent as glass

Sylar

This rebuild attempt has been horrible.

I thought the sole reason for giving Ole the job early before the end of the season was to start planning for this coming season

2 weeks left and we've only signed 2 players. If we were truly planning negotiations could and should have started around february. This is a bad sign because it shows as things stand we are relying on the magic of a manager / coach rather than the competence of those higher up to sort this squad out

Frank Grimes

Solskjaer never said there would be a major rebuild this summer. He said we will sign one or two players. We don't have the money, or at least the glazers don't want to spend it. Basically we are the new Arsenal

Moriarty

That might be why we haven't managed to attract a DoF.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
The Glazers don't want to spend and Woodward is their PR guy that keeps gullible fans believing.

The sooner everybody wakes up to the reality the better. We're an absolute farce and i can see us reaching Scouse territory without any league titles. We're so far behind, it's genuinely frightening.

pocco

loco
Which is why he was considering candidates like Rio for the DOF, who better to be a lightening rod and deflect the criticism from him than a United legend?
Ed is as transparent as glass
According to Steven Howson, he spoke to a candidate that was offered the role, but they turned it down (possibly Rio or Fletcher). Reading between the lines it sounds like it was basically a fall guy for Ed with no real influence.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
This rebuild attempt has been horrible.

I thought the sole reason for giving Ole the job early before the end of the season was to start planning for this coming season

2 weeks left and we've only signed 2 players. If we were truly planning negotiations could and should have started around february. This is a bad sign because it shows as things stand we are relying on the magic of a manager / coach rather than the competence of those higher up to sort this squad out
One player Id say. I cant see 21 year old 17m worth James as a first team signing. Plus one first team player left. So we've done feck all really. Rebuild.. what a fecking joke. You'd think we won the league last year and are just adding a player or two to make sure we are still the best team. What a joke. To think people still defend these owners.

manutddjw

I do sympathize with him these last couple years. The biggest gripe people have is the transfer window. I don’t think people understand the situation football is in now. In years gone by we’d probably have 4 players in already. Now because the money has gotten ridiculous, an above average defender is 80 Million and a guy whose played 9 premier league games is supposedly worth 50 Million.

This isn’t FIFA where you just go to transfer hub and everything is good within 10 minutes. Juventus is a well run club and look how long it took to sign De Ligt when they were the only ones in the race for about a month.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I do sympathize with him these last couple years. The biggest gripe people have is the transfer window. I don’t think people understand the situation football is in now. In years gone by we’d probably have 4 players in already. Now because the money has gotten ridiculous, an above average defender is 80 Million and a guy whose played 9 premier league games is supposedly worth 50 Million.

This isn’t FIFA where you just go to transfer hub and everything is good within 10 minutes. Juventus is a well run club and look how long it took to sign De Ligt when they were the only ones in the race for about a month.
Then maybe he should stop running to the press bragging about how much money we have and how we can "do things other clubs can only dream of" in the transfer market.

oz insomniac

Yes and no. If your initial offer is 50% of either the release fee or transfer expectation, they you get what Woody manages to achieve. A reluctance to deal and the selling club feels insulted.

This was a singular transfer window where Woody and Judge needed swift and targetted transfers, supporting their choice of manager , and enabled the season and structures for the coach to be in place before season starts. What did we get, a repeat of previous windows, a bluster of names and statements and nothing much accomplished. As before , if the Glazers are not enabling funds to be available, then find a way to get that out, otherwise the blundering around doing things no one else can do , refers to looking impotent when compared to clubs of so called similar status.

ravi2

Explain why we are the only 'top tier' team that operates in this fashion?
Look at the business the other clubs are doing and have been doing for years then look at how underwhelming and sub par United are.

The sad thing is nothing is going to change anytime soon

Sterling Archer

Last two years on Caf:
Good idea but missed the execution. Why don't you give it another shot but have it be one line or two for each transfer season under Woody.

Here's a start:
1) oh yeah Glazers opening the pocket books w Fergie gone. If we give Moyes world class players even he can do a job....signs Fellaini for more than his release clause

2) CL winner Di Maria, best young English fullback, SPANIARD that destroyed Sir Alex team , legendary forward. It's going to be a great season, even though we've had to move on so many stalwarts.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Last two years on Caf:
Nah Number 5 is more

It's not just a one season project. Obviously it's not great if we only do 2 signings, but not the end of the world. Just prolongs it and makes January/next summer bigger.

Last edited:

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Has no one realized that everything Ed does and says is a one way conversation to shareholders?

There is 0 regard for fans.

He works to build optimism and encourage investment.

I don’t see the point of discussing things he does in terms of our football. He simply has no interest. As long as he develops the fake perception of optimism the club keeps selling commercial deals and keeps the investments coming in.

Obviously he has to appease the coaching staff somewhat but he’s also in a prime position with Ole as he’s a yes man and doesn’t read between Ed’s lines like Mourinho and Van Gaal did. Ole doesn’t realize it. Poor soul is too emotionally attached to the allure and sentiments of ‘Manchester United’ to realize that Ed is selling shares - not funding a successful football club.

I have personally long lost any expectation of any sequence of decisions from Ed geared towards a better football club. I still love the club and take pride and enjoy the youngsters and the ones that actually care to entertain us with the badge on.

Just please - stop pretending you believe Ed/Glazers has the best intentions of the football club at heart. You are not the market he works for.

clarkydaz

Yet he expects 80m for lukaku?

vanderpants

After it emerged yesterday we aren't and never have been in for Bruno and Pepe, wtf is this man upto this summer? We are going In to the new season with just two young signings (AWB will hopefully be immense) no players have left and it now looks like no new players incoming. If utd announce another tractor or bed signing before the window closes I'm hunting Ed down

Johan07

Then maybe he should stop running to the press bragging about how much money we have and how we can "do things other clubs can only dream of" in the transfer market.
You do understand that said quote is from.... wait for it.... the summer of 2014. Does not really constititute running to the press and "bragging".

oz insomniac

You do understand that said quote is from.... wait for it.... the summer of 2014. Does not really constititute running to the press and "bragging".
Well, what a surprise , Johan in trying to mitigate any criticism of his fave, Teflon Ed. Let's be frank. He is a very ordinary CEO , whose focus is on $$$ for the Glazers, and not on ensuring the fottball club is successful.

He drops hints to encourage the shareholders, whilst doing SFA to secure signings quickly. Aston villa have acted more expansively this summer than the so called genius, remember that and then look at Real Madrid/Bayern and others. Even Chelski under a ban signed Pulisic.

Beaucoup

I think he was misquoted, what he actually said was “do things other clubs wouldn’t dream of”

Johan07

Well, what a surprise , Johan in trying to mitigate any criticism of his fave, Teflon Ed. Let's be frank. He is a very ordinary CEO , whose focus is on $$$ for the Glazers, and not on ensuring the fottball club is successful.

He drops hints to encourage the shareholders, whilst doing SFA to secure signings quickly. Aston villa have acted more expansively this summer than the so called genius, remember that and then look at Real Madrid/Bayern and others. Even Chelski under a ban signed Pulisic.
Not trying to mitigate anything. Its fair to criticise Woodward, I just dont like when people make "facts" and "quotes" up. That goes for Woodward, Mourinho and even Moyes. Anyone associated with the club really.

pocco

loco

Spurs signed Ndombele for a very reasonable fee. Negotiation skills seemingly just isn't a Woodward strong point.

UncleBob

Spurs signed Ndombele for a very reasonable fee. Negotiation skills seemingly just isn't a Woodward strong point.
Aye, and I just purchased a backpack on eBay.

Seems pretty fecking easy if you ask me.

kaiser00

Need to be hounding this joker out. 24 hour protest outside his house with burning effigies and whacking his burnt effigy with a big stick!