Ed Woodward 2019 - Until all Arctic ice melts edition

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Woodward has been useless his entire tenure & it wasn’t going to change this summer. I was hopeful we’d have a DoF & an actual transfer strategy but that’s not going to happen anytime soon and if we do get someone in, they’ll just be a yes-man.

As long as the sponsorships keep coming in, this cnut isn’t going anywhere.

Johan07

Spurs signed Ndombele for a very reasonable fee. Negotiation skills seemingly just isn't a Woodward strong point.
If we had been in for Ndombele he would be playing in a red shirt today. We obviously were not, I dont know how that has to do with Matt Judge´s (if we are going to be correct) negotiation skills.

Bestietom

I really hope this is the last transfer window that we see him negotiating. He should stick to commercial dealings and let someone who know this game inside and out, do it.
Who is the question. We must go for the best DOF out there.

Johan07

I really hope this is the last transfer window that we see him negotiating. He should stick to commercial dealings and let someone who know this game inside and out, do it.
Who is the question. We must go for the best DOF out there.
Matt Judge handles the contract negotiations and Richard Arnold is the commercial director. Woodward does neither.

gica_7

Arsenal and us share the same destiny. We were laughing hard, but now we have joined the club.
I don't have any passion following United this season, really. Maybe if the match going fans show discomfort, it might get interesting. But, I see little possibility that it will happen.

Red Viking

If Woodward really believes that the current midfield we have are good enough for top 4 then he should be fired for making idiotic decisions. We all saw how fragile our midfield was last season and how it was dominated by mediocre premier league players. Our midfield is properly the weakest one in the defensive aspects compared to 12-15 of the other teams in the league. Pereira and Fred are both very poor in positioning and reading the attacking play from opposition, and then add Pogba´s poor defensive ability on top, while we have an aging Matic to top it off. Mctominay has some potential to get better but he is not anywhere near good enough to be a starter for a top 4 club this season. It is not fair to throw this kid under the bus with such a big role he is not ready to yet.

It would be kind to call this mismanagement from a sporting point of view. It is fair to say it is serious management incompetence that has gotten the team into this situation.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Woodward has been useless his entire tenure & it wasn’t going to change this summer. I was hopeful we’d have a DoF & an actual transfer strategy but that’s not going to happen anytime soon and if we do get someone in, they’ll just be a yes-man.

Nothing did ever happen to improve this club. Really shocking and unprofessional. On top, they take a lot of money out of this club, so the main purpose is not to win titles but to fill their pockets. Crazy that there is not more prominent activity against them

Bestietom

You got that completely backwards.
Do you actually work inside the club, as you seem to know everything that goes on. You TELL everyone all the goings on in the club and seem to love the Glazers. You sure your not related.

romufc

It would be kind to call this mismanagement from a sporting point of view. It is fair to say it is serious management incompetence that has gotten the team into this situation.
Your too kind to him. How can one be so incompetent, it is actually a joke.

Ed Woodward has to go.

Johan07

If Woodward really believes that the current midfield we have are good enough for top 4 then he should be fired for making idiotic decisions. We all saw how fragile our midfield was last season and how it was dominated by mediocre premier league players. Our midfield is properly the weakest one in the defensive aspects compared to 12-15 of the other teams in the league. Pereira and Fred are both very poor in positioning and reading the attacking play from opposition, and then add Pogba´s poor defensive ability on top, while we have an aging Matic to top it off. Mctominay has some potential to get better but he is not anywhere near good enough to be a starter for a top 4 club this season. It is not fair to throw this kid under the bus with such a big role he is not ready to yet.

I agree with this in general.
I am very, very surprised that after letting both Fellaini and Herrera go, combined with a Matic in decline, that we dont seem to be more focused on getting at least one experienced DM in as well as a prospect like Longstaff. And maybe we are, who knows? Our midfield is seriously unbalanced towards the offensive side, especially if we are getting Fernandes as well
What I dont get is putting this on Woodward. Its not logical. Does anyone really believe that he is sitting in his chamber playing FM? This is on OGS and his team.

Johan07

Do you actually work inside the club, as you seem to know everything that goes on. You TELL everyone all the goings on in the club and seem to love the Glazers. You sure your not related.
I dont care about the Glazers or Woodward tbf. Their roles are so overexaggerated in threads like this. As long as they are operating the club with the same amount of money that the other major clubs are doing or more I am fine with them. Which they are.
What I do care about is the club and that things does not get worse, though. Haters like you have no appreciation of what the alternatives would be. Its quite frankly irresponsible.

romufc

What I dont get is putting this on Woodward. Its not logical. Does anyone really believe that he is sitting in his chamber playing FM? This is on OGS and his team
Are you actually implying that OGS and his team are in charge of transfers? Have you not heard Ole in his pres conferences saying we are working on a couple of transfers? Clearly that shows he wants players in but the people above him Wooward are not delivering. Just because Ole isn't throwing them under the bus.

Bestietom

I dont care about the Glazers or Woodward tbf. Their roles are so overexaggerated in threads like this. As long as they are operating the club with the same amount of money that the other major clubs are doing or more I am fine with them. Which they are.
What I do care about is the club and that things does not get worse, though. Haters like you have no appreciation of what the alternatives would be. Its quite frankly irresponsible.
Yes, YOU would probably lose some money.

Johan07

Are you actually implying that OGS and his team are in charge of transfers? Have you not heard Ole in his pres conferences saying we are working on a couple of transfers? Clearly that shows he wants players in but the people above him Wooward are not delivering. Just because Ole isn't throwing them under the bus.
What do you mean by "in charge"?
I dont think that anyone but OGS, his team and the heads of scouting identifies who our targets are. Do you really think that Woodward values his own opinion if Ndombele was a better transfer target than Fernandes for example? Or that he has an opinion if Ashley Young can cross a football so we should renew his contract?
Its another thing completely that we as any other club have financial restrictions, both due to FFP and our own turnover. That will never change. DoF or not, our budget will always stop at the feet of Woodward and the Glazers.
It does not mean that Woodward is making judgments on footballing capabilities of certain players. That is all I am saying. Its ridiculous tbh.

Johan07

Yes, YOU would probably lose some money.
I have no idea what that even means. But like every other name calling in this thread I really appreciate it. It means that you cant even make an argument to begin with.

Bestietom

I have no idea what that even means. But like every other name calling in this thread I really appreciate it. It means that you cant even make an argument to begin with.
Well you did brag about being a shareholder in another post.

romufc

I dont think that anyone but OGS, his team and the heads of scouting identifies who our targets are. Do you really think that Woodward values his own opinion if Ndombele was a better transfer target than Fernandes for example? Or that he has an opinion if Ashley Young can cross a football so we should renew his contract?
Its another thing completely that we as any other club have financial restrictions, both due to FFP and our own turnover. That will never change. DoF or not, our budget will always stop at the feet of Woodward and the Glazers.
It does not mean that Woodward is making judgments on footballing capabilities of certain players. That is all I am saying. Its ridiculous tbh.

Who says we are interested in Fernandes? Ndombole wanted Champions League.

I understand we have restrictions but we are one of the wealthiest clubs you know? We can easily spent £150-200m without having problems. Rojo, Young, Smalling contracts were all renewed before Ole.

So are you trying to say we have a £70m budget for the last 2 years? then we are in a very terrible financial situation, Leicester, Wolves, Aston Villa can spend more than Utd.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
If we had been in for Ndombele he would be playing in a red shirt today. We obviously were not, I dont know how that has to do with Matt Judge´s (if we are going to be correct) negotiation skills.
Nah, we'd have walked away because we'd have been scared off by Lyon's initial valuation. How can they sign a better midfielder than we are targeting for a better price than we are negotiating to? Woodward's cronies can't start using valuations as an excuse, he should have known all this before the summer. Are we just never going to sign players until the selling club is giving them away? I don't see what the endgame is for us if transfer fees are suddenly such a big obstacle.

And if you want to try to tell me that Ndombele wouldn't have been a good addition to our midfield then go for it. It's a different argument altogether, but if we're so well organised and knew that Longstaff etc were overpriced, why not just 'settle' for Ndombele?

Oh and I don't believe for a second that Woodward can be absolved of blame for negotiations because of Matt Judge. He is involved, he's responsible for the lot. People involved with the club have talked about Woodward's involvement in transfers. Nice try though.

Johan07

Well you did brag about being a shareholder in another post.
I did not brag about anything.
I suggested that if you are critical of the Glazers/Woodward, buy some fecking shares. It will diminish their influence at least in theory. They have floated 17 percent of the shares. Lets get fans buying those up? Or is that to complicated for you?
Thats not the reason that I bought my great holding of 100 shares in United though. Its a symbolic thing regardless of who is holding the majority of the shares. I had a few shares when we were a plc as well, also a member of MUST before they went apeshit crazy. Still a good idea to begin with.
And my great dividends of 0.09 cent per share last year was fecked up just by the fee to hold a US share depot. So yeah, go Glazers, more dividends to us. I might be able to have an extra pint nxt year if you stop spending so much wages on players.

Last edited:

Johan07

Nah, we'd have walked away because we'd have been scared off by Lyon's initial valuation. How can they sign a better midfielder than we are targeting for a better price than we are negotiating to? Woodward's cronies can't start using valuations as an excuse, he should have known all this before the summer. Are we just never going to sign players until the selling club is giving them away? I don't see what the endgame is for us if transfer fees are suddenly such a big obstacle.

And if you want to try to tell me that Ndombele wouldn't have been a good addition to our midfield then go for it. It's a different argument altogether, but if we're so well organised and knew that Longstaff etc were overpriced, why not just 'settle' for Ndombele?
I wanted Ndombele too. I think he would have been a great addition. That is not what I said at all if you had bothered to read my post. IMO if OGS had wanted Ndombele he would have been a United player by now. We can double any wage offer that Spurs would make. We clearly were not in for him as much as I disagree with that.

Johan07

So why doesn't Woodward sack them? They're clearly not doing a good job.
Well, Arnold is doing pretty amazing at what he does so he is staying.
Judge´s involvement in transfers I would imagine will be transferred to the technical director we will appoint in good time before next summer transfer window. But thats speculation and my opinion. I would bet some money on that it will happen though.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I wanted Ndombele too. I think he would have been a great addition. That is not what I said at all if you had bothered to read my post. IMO if OGS had wanted Ndombele he would have been a United player by now. We can double any wage offer that Spurs would make. We clearly were not in for him as much as I disagree with that.
I think you're missing my point and Ndombele is just an example.

Something has to give eventually. We're walking away from targets due to price, but to what expense? Look at the season we have just had. Ndombele would start every week for us, so he's a good example of a good deal which we could have done, even if he wasn't exactly what we initially wanted. Basically, my question is how long do we refuse to do business because of price? Other clubs are making good additions, we are being left behind. This situation will finally cast a conclusive light on what we want to be: A great football team or a lucrative business.

Bestietom

I did not brag about anything.
I suggested that if you are critical of the Glazers/Woodward, buy some fecking shares. It will diminish their influence at least in theory. They have floated 17 percent of the shares. Lets get fans buying those up? Or is that to complicagted for you? Ok j
Thats not the reason that I bought my great holding of 100 shares in United though. Its a symbolic thing regardless of who is holding the majority of the shares. I had a few shares when we were a plc as well, also a member of MUST before they went apeshit crazy. Still a good idea to begin with.
And my great dividends of 0.09 cent per share last year was fecked up just by the fee to hold a US share depot. So yeah, go Glazers, more dividends to us. I might be able to have an extra pint nxt year if you stop spending so much wages on players.
Ok, you just carry on defending Glazers, but let anyone that don't, have their own opinion. So don't try and change our minds. Good luck, enjoy your pint.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I believe it would have been different as I stated before that the DoF would ensure a continuity of style. In my opinion one of the key things about a DoF is that they build a rapport with the manager. How do you know for definite that we would have hired Van Gaal post Moyes, then depending how that manager did we may not even needed to hire Mourinho if he had been successful?
I dont know of course - its just my feeling that given who was available at the time, we would still have hired Van Gaal and Mourinho. Not much would have been different.

oz insomniac

At the end of the day what we have lies at the feet of the idiots that manage and own the club. The Glazers are taking Man Utd down the same path as the Tampa Bay NFL Team they own, in the 13 years they have been in control that team has finished bottom of a fairly weak conference 9 times and won it once.

Do you see a connection there, they are very poor owners as they see success as the increase in value of the asset, not the winning performance of the team. They have left someone in charge of football operations at Man Utd that has overseen sh*t house results and an unbalanced roster. End of story, and their only interest in the club is dividends and a valuable asset, need to take the rose coloured glasses off and see why so many posters are despairing at the once great club disappearing into its own orifice. Ole is at the end of the chain and doesn't control signings other than request up the line to Woody and Judge, he should not be the fall guy of poor owners and their staff.

Johan07

I think you're missing my point and Ndombele is just an example.

Something has to give eventually. We're walking away from targets due to price, but to what expense? Look at the season we have just had. Ndombele would start every week for us, so he's a good example of a good deal which we could have done, even if he wasn't exactly what we initially wanted. Basically, my question is how long do we refuse to do business because of price? Other clubs are making good additions, we are being left behind. This situation will finally cast a conclusive light on what we want to be: A great football team or a lucrative business.
Im sorry, but I refuse to accept that we would lose out to fecking Spurs because of price/wages. That makes like literally no sense. What makes sense is that he was not a priority (again, disagree on that decision). And we already have the biggest wage bill in the PL, can we really complain about anything else than how that money is being spent?

romufc

A great football team or a lucrative business.
I think we all know the answer to this? Otherwise we would have been ruthless. Real Madrid had one terrible season and realised things need changing and bought what they think they need and rightly or wrongly have said Bale you dont fit in our style.

Yet here we are still trying to build around Jones, Smalling, Mata, Lingard.

Johan07

At the end of the day what we have lies at the feet of the idiots that manage and own the club. The Glazers are taking Man Utd down the same path as the Tampa Bay NFL Team they own, in the 13 years they have been in control that team has finished bottom of a fairly weak conference 9 times and won it once.

Do you see a connection there, they are very poor owners as they see success as the increase in value of the asset, not the winning performance of the team. They have left someone in charge of football operations at Man Utd that has overseen sh*t house results and an unbalanced roster. End of story, and their only interest in the club is dividends and a valuable asset, need to take the rose coloured glasses off and see why so many posters are despairing at the once great club disappearing into its own orifice. Ole is at the end of the chain and doesn't control signings other than request up the line to Woody and Judge, he should not be the fall guy of poor owners and their staff.
To compare the NFL to European "soccer" is stupid. The Cowboys is the worlds most valuable sports franchise and the Glazers have one Superbowl over on them. Its just not a relevant comparison.
And for like the umpteenth time: What is the alternative to the Glazers? If you cant answer that the rest of your arguments are pretty much worthless.

acnumber9

It wouldn’t make a bit of difference as it’s just a different person reporting to Woodward. We either don’t have the money to spend or he’s outright useless. It’s likely a bit of both.

oz insomniac

To compare the NFL to European "soccer" is stupid. The Cowboys is the worlds most valuable sports franchise and the Glazers have one Superbowl over on them. Its just not a relevant comparison.
And for like the umpteenth time: What is the alternative to the Glazers? If you cant answer that the rest of your arguments are pretty much worthless.
Doesn't matter what the alternative is, why should the club accept the owners to be so incompetent, and their willingness to not understand what a poor job their favoured employee is doing. The basic reason I spoke about the Tampa Bay side is that encompasses their lack of feeling and compassion for sports, until the golden egg dries up we can expect the spiral that could well take the clubs performance and results below West Ham/Everton/Wolves etc to continue.

Dont believe we should excuse their inability to run this club successfully given what they inherited, they are just poor owners who will let the club plod aimlessLy along as they have no sports interest in their DNA. This is a time when supporters should be waking up every day expecting good news and a sign that things will improve, that's not what is happening and spinning that there could be worse owners, so what !

Reddy Rederson

romufc

This is a time when supporters should be waking up every day expecting good news and a sign that things will improve, that's not what is happening and spinning that there could be worse owners, so what !
This is exactly what happened at Arsenal, most Arsenal fans are know they wont challenge and cannot do anything about it.

Manutd is the same, we are going down the road where top 4 is the target and rely on history for player attraction. We won't challenge until we see change in ownership IMO.