Ed Woodward 2019 - Until all Arctic ice melts edition

croadyman

Makes me sick to my stomach if there is one iota of truth in that story about this clown turning down De Jong and De Ligt after being recommended them by an ex scout of the club. This guy has driven me completely up the wall and don't care about how commercial savvy he is I want him out of this club.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I did have a meltdown yes, I want to see United back where they belong, and not dragging their heels like some sort of poor mans West Ham. United Are the best supported club on the Planet and could not even manage to qualify for the Champions League. The manager is not being backed, and Solskjaer will not be fully backed in this transfer window either. Wait until the start of the season and all should be clear to even the most ardent Woodward supporter.
Are there even any ardent Woodward supporters who need convincing?

SER19

If Bruno fernandes ends up at Liverpool and ndombele at Tottenham it would be a huge failing. That's a midfield rebuild right there for about 125m.

I don't think there's ever been a transfer window with so much talent seemingly open to move. Woodward has no excuse whatsoever to not make us considerably stronger this summer

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
His worst failing is that players like Rojo, Darmian etc are about to start another season with us.

Hawks2008

Apparently he was offered the chance to hire Paratici (the guy doing an absolute madness at Juve right now) last year as DoF and declined.
I'm not surprised, he never wanted a DoF as he would have to cede control. It seems all the talk of massive overhaul and restructuring was bs.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
If Bruno fernandes ends up at Liverpool and ndombele at Tottenham it would be a huge failing. That's a midfield rebuild right there for about 125m.

I don't think there's ever been a transfer window with so much talent seemingly open to move. Woodward has no excuse whatsoever to not make us considerably stronger this summer
He has the ultimate card of "not being part of the CL".

smallred

finally, after 7 years of compete mismanagement, fans and media starting to turn the heat up on Woodie.....

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
The arsehole should go on permanent holiday.
So disgusted and furious at this incompetent and useless wanker. Probably the most inept CEO in top flight football. How he runs our club is a complete joke, oversee 3 managerial failures and soon to be 4th yet this man seems bullet-proof safe from his job. Constantly feed the media lies to save his own ass and divert attention away from him. If we don't make any proper signings this summer and I'm talking about a genuine world-class player who can elevate our team, he really should go but he won't and we won't sign any good players as well. I don't usually recommend this but I think it's time we pull out the banners and make some noise. #EdWoodwardOut

Eric's Seagull

A Day In The Life Of Ed Woodward Baking A Cake For The Guardiolas

Exerpt from above article.

Step inside the life of Ed Woodward and his wife. This time Mrs Woodward is baking a cake and all Ed has to do is get the ingredients for her…

Mrs Woodward: Ed darling, would you mind popping out and getting me some butter. I’m making a cake for Toby’s wedding and I’m going to need some.

Ed: Sure darling, leave it to Ed. I’m the man who gets things done. At least, that’s what Avram and Joel say.

One hour later …

Mrs Woodward: Ed darling, you’re home! Did you get the butter?

Ed: No darling. I went to Tescos but they were charging a ridiculous amount for it. I think they’re holding me to ransom because they know I’m the CEO of Man United. I offered them what I thought was a reasonable amount for it, but they turned me down flat! But I’ll go back tomorrow. Maybe we can find a compromise.

Mrs Woodward: Well that’s disappointing, but I understand darling. By the way, have you seen the eggs? I had half a dozen, but I can’t find them in the fridge.

Ed: The eggs? Yes, I took them with me to Tescos and tried to sell them to them to offset the cost of the butter, but they didn’t want to take them. So I just gave them to a guy from Paris who was in the queue with me, he seemed very nice …

Mrs Woodward: You gave my eggs away for nothing, Ed?

Ed: Yes darling but to be honest, I don’t think the eggs are really that important to the cake.

Mrs Woodward: Well actually, they are darling. You’re going to have to replace the eggs as well now.

Ed: Sigh. OK darling, no problem, leave it to me.

The next day …

Mrs Woodward: Ed, darling, did you manage to get the butter and the eggs?

Ed: Well, nearly darling. There’s a half price offer on Lurpak at Tesco’s, so I was tempted, but I think I can get them down a bit more, so I’m going to go back tomorrow to see if it’s better....................

Last edited:

SER19

So disgusted and furious at this incompetent and useless wanker. Probably the most inept CEO in top flight football. How he runs our club is a complete joke, oversee 3 managerial failures and soon to be 4th yet this man seems bullet-proof safe from his job. Constantly feed the media lies to save his own ass and divert attention away from him. If we don't make any proper signings this summer and I'm talking about a genuine world-class player who can elevate our team, he really should go but he won't and we won't sign any good players as well. I don't usually recommend this but I think it's time we pull out the banners and make some noise. #EdWoodwardOut
Agree

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
When the cash moves is one thing but also the price amortized over the life of the players contract, which is just an accounting way to manage ffp.
It's not even about FFP, it's a simple accounting practice. The goal is to give an accurate image of the club/company finances over a period of time, it's one of the most basic aspects of accounting.

Crashoutcassius

It's not even about FFP, it's a simple accounting practice. The goal is to give an accurate image of the club/company finances over a period of time, it's one of the most basic aspects of accounting.
I always understood that treating a player this way was a relatively new practice, despite it being common elsewhere in accounting.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I always understood that treating a player this way was a relatively new practice, despite it being common elsewhere in accounting.
No, if you look at financial reports from 2002, you will actually see the line "amortisation of players". It's not new, it's just that people now have a little bit of interest in the subject of accounting.

Frank Grimes

People thinking Woodward isn't doing his job properly but the really crap thing is that he is probably doing exactly what he is been instructed to do. We are no longer being run like a football club.

Johan07

Naw, it has always been like that. The application of IFRS-rules in football can sometimes lead to strange consequences under FFP though.
One example is when a player, whose transfer fee has been amortised in full, is sold for a high transfer fee. Say Neymar for example when he left Barca for PSG. Barca then was able to count the whole transfer fee as income under that financial year while being able to use the money to buy a lot of new players, whose transfer fees then were amortised over the term of their contracts. So in terms of accounting and FFP they did very well that year even if they practically spent all the Neymar-money.
Its not different from any other asset sale really, the difference being that a football player whose value has been amortised can still have a great value compared to a car, machine or whatever, which usually is worthless or at least has a very diminished value after full amortisation.
And the opposite: if Barca were to sell Coutnho and Dembele this summer for a fairly high amount they would have to deduce whats left of the amortisation of the original transfer fee from the new one. Which would not help them much in FFP since they probably overpaid and just have spent two years or so at the club and a lot of the transfer fees have not been amortised yet.

Moriarty

We are no longer being run like a football club.
Not defending our current overlords but we haven't been run as a football club since Edwards got greedy and turned us into a PLC. If memory serves, it was Edwards who struck 'football club' from our crest and it was Edwards who really tightened the purse strings; not forgetting it was our transition from a club to a PLC that kicked the door open for a leveraged buyout such as the Glazers used. The Glazers, predatory capitalists that they are, saw an opportunity to make a lot of money and moved in, aided and abetted by the hierarchy.

There are still a lot of people fuming at Fergie and Gill for failing to speak up about the takeover. Heck, it spawned FC United. Maybe a few went off to support Chelsea as advised, but it certainly caused wounds that have not yet healed.

He'sRaldo

This might be somewhat controversial but I feel like we don't really need that big of a rebuild. If you think back to the last two seasons, Jose sabotaged us pretty badly with the lack of attacking tactics, lack of player development, lack of proper fitness, poor man-management, etc.

If the current coaching staff can do the opposite, I feel like we'll instantly see a much better team with the same set of players. We've seen the talent of all our players. We just need strong leadership to bring it all together in the right direction tactically and mentally, as well as a few signings to replace the aging players.

Besides, we've had expensive rebuilds twice in the last four years and haven't gotten much out of them. We need to go about it a lot smarter than we've been doing thus far.

Last edited:
Reactions: nimic

Johan07

Not defending our current overlords but we haven't been run as a football club since Edwards got greedy and turned us into a PLC. If memory serves, it was Edwards who struck 'football club' from our crest and it was Edwards who really tightened the purse strings; not forgetting it was our transition from a club to a PLC that kicked the door open for a leveraged buyout such as the Glazers used. The Glazers, predatory capitalists that they are, saw an opportunity to make a lot of money and moved in, aided and abetted by the hierarchy.

There are still a lot of people fuming at Fergie and Gill for failing to speak up about the takeover. Heck, it spawned FC United. Maybe a few went off to support Chelsea as advised, but it certainly caused wounds that have not yet healed.
It was not turned from a club to a Plc. It was turned from a private owned company to a public one.
I dont agree about this having anything to do with enabling a LBO. You can LBO a private company as much as a Plc, in most cases the first option is probably the common one: that you LBO a promising private company with the aim to list it on a stock exchange in 3-5 years.
Its interesting, since United now is a Plc again, even if the stock floated by the Glazers is not enough to in itself enable a takeover, not even close. For me the Plc-model is actually better since it does enable fans to buy stock in the club. More fans should buy stock in United since its being bought up by some real predatory investment funds, which is not a good sign in the long term.

Saffron

For people thinking that we are in a unique situation.
Still want Ed gone, mind you.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...-key-Tottenhams-summer-transfer-business.html
Not really comparable though? Everyone and their dog knows they’ve just spent a fortune on a brand new stadium and that’s why they haven’t spent much in a while. Plus we have much higher revenue.

And if Levy is having a say in transfers, he’s obviously doing a much better job at that than Ed anyway.

red thru&thru

Not really comparable though? Everyone and their dog knows they’ve just spent a fortune on a brand new stadium and that’s why they haven’t spent much in a while. Plus we have much higher revenue.
Also, Levy has proven himself and built something really good. What has Ed done?

Chairman Steve

When you look between the lines, you don’t really see too much difference between Levy and Woodward to be honest.

Levys always been a overly stubborn fecker in the eyes of some Spurs fans. While they’d applaud his stance on getting maximum potential fee from a player sale, this historically would take up the entirety of the transfer window until the last few moments when they would get that fee, but then Spurs fans would be tearing their hair out saying that he’d left it too late to get replacement(s) in.

Tango80

This might be somewhat controversial but I feel like we don't really need that big of a rebuild. If you think back to the last two seasons, Jose sabotaged us pretty badly with the lack of attacking tactics, lack of player development, lack of proper fitness, poor man-management, etc.

If the current coaching staff can do the opposite, I feel like we'll instantly see a much better team with the same set of players. We've seen the talent of all our players. We just need strong leadership to bring it all together in the right direction tactically and mentally, as well as a few signings to replace the aging players.

Besides, we've had expensive rebuilds twice in the last four years and haven't gotten much out of them. We need to go about it a lot smarter than we've been doing thus far.
In fairness, I like what we're doing this summer so far, and the nature of the buys we're getting. We need 'likeable' young players who will work their socks off, and potentially be future stars. Our main downfall has been trying quick fixes, so it's good that we seem to actually have some sort of plan this year.

Saffron

When you look between the lines, you don’t really see too much difference between Levy and Woodward to be honest.

Levys always been a overly stubborn fecker in the eyes of some Spurs fans. While they’d applaud his stance on getting maximum potential fee from a player sale, this historically would take up the entirety of the transfer window until the last few moments when they would get that fee, but then Spurs fans would be tearing their hair out saying that he’d left it too late to get replacement(s) in.
So Levy is stubborn but shrewd.
Ed is wasteful and clueless.

Yeah, no difference at all.

Just because they are criticized by their fans (for wildly different reasons) doesn’t mean they’re comparable. The AWB deal is the first one where he seems to have a least tried to get a decent deal. The takeaway from almost all other deals is that he wastes money.

JK-27

Can someone explain to me why Woodward has not been fired yet? 7 seasons without a Premier League title, employed some of the worlds most renowned managers only to not back them in the transfer market and go against their advice, over paid for over hyped players, provided long-term contracts to under-performing players, and is currently on at least his 5th 're-building for the future' project.

Our current transfer activity has seen us buy 2 'youth' players, and the remaining targets all fit the same mold. This suggest that, at best, the club is building for a title push 2-3 years from now, meaning it will be at least 10 years since we would have won our last Prem title. When we won the title back then did anyone genuinely believe we'd feck up so much and fall so far back it would take 10 years to win another title?

WOODWARD OUT!

marktan

Can someone explain to me why Woodward has not been fired yet? 7 seasons without a Premier League title, employed some of the worlds most renowned managers only to not back them in the transfer market and go against their advice, over paid for over hyped players, provided long-term contracts to under-performing players, and is currently on at least his 5th 're-building for the future' project.

Our current transfer activity has seen us buy 2 'youth' players, and the remaining targets all fit the same mold. This suggest that, at best, the club is building for a title push 2-3 years from now, meaning it will be at least 10 years since we would have won our last Prem title. When we won the title back then did anyone genuinely believe we'd feck up so much and fall so far back it would take 10 years to win another title?

WOODWARD OUT!
He's a banker, he's the one that initially setup the deal for the glazers to saddle us with debt (that's seen $1bn taken out of the club over the last 15 years), he's only there to make money for the glazers. He's done that so he stays.

Somehow he's managed to delude our fans into thinking he knows anything about football and that spending £120m once every 2 summers will cut it in a world where City and Pool can splash out out £250m in a year and Madrid spend £300m+. That should be us, but alas, we're more akin to Everton these days than the European giants. Sadly removing Woodward probably won't even do anything - it goes back up to the Glazers.

Yakuza_devils

Time is running out again. Pogba, DDG, Herrera and Lukaku are leaving/left. We have only recruited AWB and James.

Hope this guy has a plan and is working on it urgently.

SER19

He’s going to fail us again. We head away on tour tomorrow in a more uncertain position than we were a few weeks back with the increased likelihood of Pogba and lukaku out and just one first team signing. Deals that would surely already be completed if we were after them like longstaff and Fernandes have not happened, and we have either passed or missed out on players that would have improved us.

When you compare us to real Madrid’s approach to a rebuild after a single bad season, it’s very grim.

I was ridiculed for proposing a full on walkout on Woodward protest at the end of last season when the game meant nothing. We’re 1 month from the new season and he’s still failing all of us and the manager.

It really does make me sick

Hawks2008

He’s going to fail us again. We head away on tour tomorrow in a more uncertain position than we were a few weeks back with the increased likelihood of Pogba and lukaku out and just one first team signing. Deals that would surely already be completed if we were after them like longstaff and Fernandes have not happened, and we have either passed or missed out on players that would have improved us.

When you compare us to real Madrid’s approach to a rebuild after a single bad season, it’s very grim.

I was ridiculed for proposing a full on walkout on Woodward protest at the end of last season when the game meant nothing. We’re 1 month from the new season and he’s still failing all of us and the manager.

It really does make me sick
Yeah because Madrid are a plastic club, we do things the right way. The United Way.

white text

Fluctuation0161

We've had gaping holes in our squad for over 6 years that have not been filled. I wouldn't even class our transfers in that time period as a rebuild. Definitely not an extensive one!

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Long post incoming :lol:

Problem I see is that the Glazers know nothing about football and as business owners they probably just look at the figures and think everything is ok.
The problem is the lack of footballing men at the club making the right decisions, which starts at Woodward, Judge in the middle and ends at Woodward.

These two run things at United and have absolutely no knowledge about football.
For all the hate the Glazers get, we've spent money, plenty of it, paid wages, more than any club in the world, but we're still fighting to hold onto our best players, challenging for nothing and cant even get into the Champions League consistently.

Lets start with the managers.... Moyes, LVG, Mourinho and now Ole... Not one of these managers share a similar style of tactic. Such a short sighted, quick fix, throw money at it scheme that is destined to fail each time.
On top of that, you're throwing Di Maria into a very possession based LvG setup, Throwing Pogba into a defensive Mourinho set up and as for Ole, I'm unsure what his setup is yet.

Now onto the players.
For the majority, I'd say all the players we've bought over the last 6 years, the fans have been excited with. Di Maria, Depay (bigger ceiling than Sterling), Pogba etc, before we've signed them, we've for the majority wanted them. I'd say the two who really split opinions were Lukaku and Fellaini.
So us as fans were happy with the managerial appointments in majority and the same with the signings ( Clearly my opinion, but I've been here and I've seen the reactions, we wanted this. Even Mourinho was probably a fan majority appointment)

So when it comes down to it, we're no better than Woodward in that sense.

Why has it gone so wrong?
Woodward knows best, just like we think we do, and we don't, just like he doesn't.
We need some actual football men to put some foundations in place.
Lets find an identity, lets only appoint coaches that fit that identity, then we can put the players in place.
Right now it's a lot of square pegs in round holes and it's been like this for such a long time. So many of our signings post Fergie have come and gone, while Fergies players are still here.

We're probably going to lose Pogba this summer, a massive talent, who clearly wants away. I'm not going to defend him as he's been nothing but a hindrance to us since rejoining, but if we were more successful, we wouldn't be in this situation, so I can totally understand why he wants to leave. Roles reversed and he was at a side struggling while we were top of the pile, we'd be saying he needs to be at a better club etc...

On to the contracts. Some of the reported wages we are paying players is absolutely scandalous.
Sanchez - 350k
Martial - 200k
Shaw - 150-200k
Young - 120k

To name a few...
No wonder anybody who wants to sign for us takes us to the cleaners.
Martial has done nothing to deserve them wages, neither has Shaw.
But what have these two got in common...? We let them run their contracts down to the very last year at which point they hold all the cards in negotiating. Same is happening with De Gea now.
But why shouldn't De Gea force a big wage packet, considering Sanchez is on them wages? De Gea has been one of our best player for years, so if Sanchez deserves 350k, De Gea deserves more....

We're an absolute farce at the moment. Players coming in use us for big wages. Other clubs are willing to hold out knowing we'll eventually cave and pay way over market value. We really need to sort this out.
We could potentially lose Pogba for around 120m while signing Maguire for 90m... (I know nothing is confirmed on either, but look at them figures....)

Rather than signing Maguire for 80m (lets meet in the middle)
Lets find players ourselves...

Even though we're not challenging for anything right now, getting top 4 with Arsenals lack of funds and Chelsea definitely going backwards as a team with the transfer ban, should be one of the easier top 4 pushes for a while.
It means we have a season to bed players in. Lets take a chance on some players. Rather Maguire for the price quote, lets see if we can find a gem. We have so many scouts doing so many things, surely we know names.

Hell, I could load up Football Manager and get a rough idea of players, the game has been proven over and over when it comes to young talent actually forging out exceptional careers, so why does one of the biggest clubs get it so damn wrong, so often.

It starts and stops with Woodward. He needs to hand over the footballing side of things to an established DoF. One who has a clear vision, knows football and knows how to negotiate with clubs and players.
What we don't need is this committee of Ferdinand, Fletcher etc (Although even them rumors have no blown away)

Rather than direct the hate towards the Glazers... Ed Woodward needs his hand forcing.... Whether it's social media, or at the stadium, he needs to know, he cannot run this club the way its operating.

oz insomniac

At the end of the day, the self appointed DOF/CEO/Player Evaluer has overseen 6 years of diabolical recruiting, hiring and results of this great club.

Is there any hope that the owners come to realise the fact that Woody and Judge are not doing the right job to keep the club they own at the pinnacle of EPL and World Football. If the answer is they either don't know it or don't care, then we are in deep sh*t for a while. How devastating is that !!

Seven Seas Sardines

Our club was not turned into a PLC until 10 years after Martin Edwards left as chairman, 7 years after Glazers took over. Not really sure what you're on about.

Bwuk

Ed can f*ck off. Look at the shambolic state of the squad we took on tour.

We’ve spent 70m this summer, and bought a winger with half a good season in the championship, and a right back who’s played less than 50 games in the league and we expect to progress.

Farce.