Ed Woodward's position - on top of the world?

Should Woodward be removed from his Role as CE of Manchester United?

• Yes - he should go

Votes: 200 58.1%
  • no - he deserves another chance.

Votes: 144 41.9%

• Total voters

fatboy

So it turns out we only paid £23.5 mil.
If it turns out to be true that Fellaini was forced to give up his loyalty bonus just to join us, when he could have easily kept it had we simply paid up his release clause, I'd cringe.

RedRover

A number of people have been saying we have a great squad easily winning the Premiership last year. Those who believe that need to glance an eye at Bayern, Barcelona, Real and Juve. They have been spending despite their success of last season.

Someone needs to remind Woodward commercial partners are only going to sign lucrative deals if we give more importance to our football side.
Good post.

The Continued commercial success is clearly dependant on the club doing well on the pitch - and to a degree having marketable players.

The squad currently isnt strong enough, in my view, to mount a European Challenge and I personally dont think we're likely to win the league either. This year was always going to be tough for Moyes but the board could have made it a lot easier on him by getting him the big name player he wanted, and a couple of other additions to at least get the fans onside.

As it stands Moyes looks like a mug because of his comments about who would be coming in, Woodward looks like a clown and the club's standing has taken a huge hit - a shambolic and disasterous transfer window which has potentially damaged United as a brand, and left us short on the pitch.

Fergie told the fans to get behind the new manager - shame the board couldn't do the same. Moyes has been let down badly.

And to anyone pointing to how the squad is the same as last year - no Fergie makes a huge difference.

RedRover

If it turns out to be true that Fellaini was forced to give up his loyalty bonus just to join us, when he could have easily kept it had we simply paid up his release clause, I'd cringe.
Why?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Who does moyes want in the first place?

Im baffled, if he wanted fellaini that much he could have bought or at least negotiate it early, if moyes wanted fabregas and not realising that it is highly possible we wont get him, then im seriously worried

Part of managers job is to assess whether the player they want are realistically attainable.

Its not funny to blame the board when moyes himself doesnt know who the feck is his main target, judging from how we flip floped between midfielders

Pathetic

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
We are discussing Ed Woodward, playing football isn't his job.
Yes but an admittedly unimpressive first couple of months, which still ended up with an excellent midfield signing, something conspicuously absent in the last number of Woodwardless transfer windows, has turned in to a sackable offence. His job is to facilitate what happens on the football field, to run the business side of things in a manner that will enable Moyes to form a successful side. A couple of rejected bids doesn't mean United won't have a successful season. He will be judged, as will Moyes, at the end of the season. The knee-jerk stuff isn't our style, is it? It doesn't sit right with me at all, these hysterics.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
There shouldn't be a learning curve as the Chief Executive of a company worth over a billion pounds. Its a joke to be honest.
Whilst I fully back this statement, I haven't a clue what job he's done or how well. For all I know he was the main reason we landed Fellaini in the end. I don't think anyone on here knows exactly what's happened, the real reasons for missing targets, if some of those targets were genuine or anything else.

On the one hand, "everyone" knows not to believe everything you read in the papers and see in the media.

Yet on the other, all the same idiots are basing our Chief Executive position, job and dealings on what they've read in the papers and seen in the media.

Very nice.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Who does moyes want in the first place?

Im baffled, if he wanted fellaini that much he could have bought or at least negotiate it early, if moyes wanted fabregas and not realising that it is highly possible we wont get him, then im seriously worried

Part of managers job is to assess whether the player they want are realistically attainable.

Its not funny to blame the board when moyes himself doesnt know who the feck is his main target, judging from how we flip floped between midfielders

Pathetic
Khedira confirmed he bid for him as well... it's not just Woodward who seems flakey is it. And bidding four days for aplayer whose club is notorious for being cnuts about selling with another of those complicated Spanish 'release' clauses indicates to me that he was another target who the manager arrived at after much much pondering (panic buy), or it was atrociously planned... Did they not see what happened with Llorente and how difficult it was for Bayern to get Martinez?

Moyes seems an indecisive person. Not a good trait for a leader.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Sev
Yes but an admittedly unimpressive first couple of months, which still ended up with an excellent midfield signing, something conspicuously absent in the last number of Woodwardless transfer windows, has turned in to a sackable offence. His job is to facilitate what happens on the football field, to run the business side of things in a manner that will enable Moyes to form a successful side. A couple of rejected bids doesn't mean United won't have a successful season. He will be judged, as will Moyes, at the end of the season. The knee-jerk stuff isn't our style, is it? It doesn't sit right with me at all, these hysterics.
Several epic feck up in a succession is not knee jerk to demand some explanation tbf

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Most important signing we could've made this summer is Joe Kinnear.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Imo if moyes wanted fabregas, he should set a max price (behind the screen off course) and quickly prepare for substitute if no deal is reached in set time limit.

We look pretty desperate and fm like bidding all the available midfield just for the sake of it, just like in fm, my bet is arsenal eont enquire about ozil if we didnt set the thing in motion by bidding for him

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
A number of people have been saying we have a great squad easily winning the Premiership last year. Those who believe that need to glance an eye at Bayern, Barcelona, Real and Juve. They have been spending despite their success of last season.

Someone needs to remind Woodward commercial partners are only going to sign lucrative deals if we give more importance to our football side.

great post

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Imo if moyes wanted fabregas, he should set a max price (behind the screen off course) and quickly prepare for substitute if no deal is reached in set time limit.

We look pretty desperate and fm like bidding all the available midfield just for the sake of it, just like in fm, my bet is arsenal eont enquire about ozil if we didnt set the thing in motion by bidding for him
So Arsenal only thought about signing Ozil because we wanted him? It had nothing to do with them thinking he is a good player?

Okay I am being a bit overboard, but lets not overstate our effect on things and pretend that the rest of the football world is sitting around just waiting to see what United does.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
There's no need for a knee-jerk reaction in sacking Woodward or shifting him outta the role just yet. Gill obviously had a massive input into who got his job, so Woodward must have the qualities to fulfil his duties, otherwise he wouldn't be in the job. That's the hope anyway!
That is the hope, the reality is more likely that Woodward after having helped the Glazer obtain financing to buy the club was brought in on the commercial development role and did such a good job there that the Glazers decided to bring him in to replace Gill. Inexperienced at this side of the game, on top of that no real connections with others in the football world, this was always going to be a very rough summer for the club, though it did not have to be. The club either should have had him working as Gill's assistant the last few years or brought in someone with experience.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
The two things that are annoying me about this are:

1. How idiotic Woodward has been and his amateurish approach could/will have a bearing on future business while also letting our reputation take a belting.
2. How a massive part of this forum were constantly on Gill's back for years and now he's gone, some of you are praising him and crying for him back.

It's very true what they say...You never know what you got until it's gone

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
There were waaay too many mistakes made in this transfer window, no point listing them as they are obvious feck ups. Had all that not happened and we signed Fellaini during the time he had a release clause, we wouldnt be the laughing stock of football right now.

Commadus

Its quite clear Fellaini was not our first choice. Moyes wanted Fabregas but when that broke down we tried a scattergun appraoch to signings with low initial bids knowing full well that they would be rebuffed, in the end we were left with not much time to sign anyone so got Fellaini as a last resort.

If Moyes was unhappy with Woodwards actions then he should have made the Glazers aware, if not then that means he was not condemning it, in either case it hasnt strengthened Moyes position.

MDFC Manager

Woodward just needs to learn fast from his mistakes. It's time he consulted Gill.
That is the hope, the reality is more likely that Woodward after having helped the Glazer obtain financing to buy the club was brought in on the commercial development role and did such a good job there that the Glazers decided to bring him in to replace Gill. Inexperienced at this side of the game, on top of that no real connections with others in the football world, this was always going to be a very rough summer for the club, though it did not have to be. The club either should have had him working as Gill's assistant the last few years or brought in someone with experience.
I maybe imagining it but I think Gill said that Woody was already working with him on deals while Gill was the CEO.

dev1l

Its quite clear Fellaini was not our first choice. Moyes wanted Fabregas but when that broke down we tried a scattergun appraoch to signings with low initial bids knowing full well that they would be rebuffed, in the end we were left with not much time to sign anyone so got Fellaini as a last resort.

If Moyes was unhappy with Woodwards actions then he should have made the Glazers aware, if not then that means he was not condemning it, in either case it hasnt strengthened Moyes position.

Not so sure of that. Imo we wanted to sign more than 1 midfielder and we did not sign Fellaini before, because we kept trying to bring Fellaini and Baines but Everton refused to sell Baines. (some twatter even alleged that our aim was to get a discount if we buy two players at a go..).

Re: Moyes unhappy with Woodward - I think in the eyes of the Glazers Woodward is doing his job well with commercial deals, so he is proven for them. On the other hand Moyes is new, so it could be very difficult for him to have a go at Woodward.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Not so sure of that. Imo we wanted to sign more than 1 midfielder and we did not sign Fellaini before, because we kept trying to bring Fellaini and Baines but Everton refused to sell Baines. (some twatter even alleged that our aim was to get a discount if we buy two players at a go..).

Re: Moyes unhappy with Woodward - I think in the eyes of the Glazers Woodward is doing his job well with commercial deals, so he is proven for them. On the other hand Moyes is new, so it could be very difficult for him to have a go at Woodward.
Whhhhhhhhataaaaaat????:lol::lol:

Oh how I would love to see Woodward buying some groceries in Tesco
"Excuse me young man, if I buy this banana, do I get one of those plums for free?"

Commadus

Woody is accustomed to signing marketing deals negotiated over a period of months not weeks and days as in player transfers.

Also even though there are deadlines in deals, in most cases they can be renegotiated, the closing of the transfer window cannot.

Neither Moyes nor Woody have covered themselves in glory.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Woody is accustomed to signing marketing deals negotiated over a period of months not weeks and days as in player transfers.

Also even though there are deadlines in deals, in most cases they can be renegotiated, the closing of the transfer window cannot.

Neither Moyes nor Woody have covered themselves in glory.
Exactly. For me, Fellaini by himself is quite underwhelming but there's comfort in knowing that at least he improves our squad. We do need steel in CM and that's what he brings. It would have been nice to get other players along with Fellaini but it was not to be. The way in which we conducted ourselves this window is what bothers me. It makes our club look like it's being run by a bunch of incompetent fools. We were already in the spotlight with the departures of SAF and Gill, and we didn't do anything to ease the concerns people have of managing without them. I hope at least that lessons were learnt and this will not happen again.

krazyrobus

EW performance this summer fails management basics like planning, delegation, research.

I wouldn't expect that from junior management let alone a friggin chief executive.

These are the kind of performances that destroy a stock price and lose CEOs their jobs in a fortune 500 companies.

Bear Attack

Something needs to be done. This is a monumental business feck up unbecoming of any top flight side.

NM

Everton Communications Director.

And why would he say different. To be honest, I don't believe club statements or the press anymore. Everybody twists things to suit their agenda. You only get a murky idea of what really happened.

EvilChuck

Exactly. For me, Fellaini by himself is quite underwhelming but there's comfort in knowing that at least he improves our squad. We do need steel in CM and that's what he brings. It would have been nice to get other players along with Fellaini but it was not to be. The way in which we conducted ourselves this window is what bothers me. It makes our club look like it's being run by a bunch of incompetent fools. We were already in the spotlight with the departures of SAF and Gill, and we didn't do anything to ease the concerns people have of managing without them. I hope at least that lessons were learnt and this will not happen again.

This is the bit that bothers me the most... its only the fact we were more open this year with transfers that people are coming to this conclusion. For all we know, Sir Alex and David Gill were just as bad, if not worse for these kind of shenanigans, but because Sir Alex kept everything in house none of us will likely ever know some of the ridiculous attempts we made to sign players in the past. The lack of a midfield signing over the last few years became a joke among fans, that Sir Alex was just so stubborn he refused to sign anyone... as we have seen this summer its not been as easy for us as to just turn up at a club, throw a bag of money at them and say 'we'll have that guy', the only difference being that Sir Alex knew that we all trusted him, so for him to say 'yeah, I am happy with the squad, I dont want to sign anyone' we'd all be fine with it, but because Moyes has yet to win the trust of most of the fans he was trying to buy some favour with the more fickle fans by talking up his transfer targets. The fact that we havent signed anyone we were being linked with makes him look bad of course, but I'd bet that everyone would be way more on his case if he hadnt mentioned wanting to strengthen the midfield and then didnt sign anyone.

If Sir Alex and David Gill trust Moyes and Woodward to take over their jobs (and lets face it, they know what it takes to do those jobs a hell of a lot better than us on this website do) then I trust their judgment.

Shimo

Even if Fergie and Gill kept things in house, there are so many clubs that don't keep things private. If any one of those clubs had played the window like we had, we'd be laughing at them. There is no excusing the way we approached this window.

G. Neville said it last year apparently - look at how clubs act on deadline day and that will give you insight into how badly they are run - our deadline day work spoke volumes for how we handled this window. The people at the club are smart people - hopefully not Ostriches that stick their head in in the sand types - and they'll learn.

Member 5225

Not sure I blame just Ed here. Just didn't seem Moyes had a coherent plan for this window. Why did he not simply:
1. Assess squad
2. Understand his budget
3. Create buckets for positions he wants strengthened
4. List a number of targets (in desired order) to pursue
5. Hand list over and ask to be kept abreast of developments

simple really

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Not sure I blame just Ed here. Just didn't seem Moyes had a coherent plan for this window. Why did he not simply:
1. Assess squad
2. Understand his budget
3. Create buckets for positions he wants strengthened
4. List a number of targets (in desired order) to pursue
5. Hand list over and ask to be kept abreast of developments

simple really

I think he did, he had various meetings with Fergie and senior players, not to mention as opposing manager last season i think he had a good knowledge of our strengths and weaknesses.

I think Eddie needs to take majority of the blame for the recent transfer events.

starman

Has it been established yet what the "serious transfer business" Woodward had to attend to 6 weeks ago?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
So Arsenal only thought about signing Ozil because we wanted him? It had nothing to do with them thinking he is a good player?

Okay I am being a bit overboard, but lets not overstate our effect on things and pretend that the rest of the football world is sitting around just waiting to see what United does.
No, but Arsenal knows that he's for sale (albeit pricey) thanks to us