Eddie Howe

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
He's really not that good.
In what sense? I keep stating it but he took a team in the relegation zone of league 2, to the premier league and will probably not go down again this season.

I can understand criticising his transfers and the like, but it's like everyone is ignoring his fantastic achievement at Bournemouth and focusing solely on the season and a half he's spent in the premier league, in which he survived relegation in his first season, and he's currently 14th atm.

I genuinely believe most of you were unaware about his previous exploits and only knew him when Bournemouth got promoted to the prem. I know that's a bit harsh but I can't understand how you can't think he's a good manager.

Last edited:

WhoDaGOAT

His problem is that he's trying to play expansive football with an average defence. Unless they well outscore the opposition, they're always vulnerable to conceding goals.

He's actually a bit naive like Wenger. I think he could maintain Arsenal's top 4 status, but he's not going to win a league title until he learns to find a balance between attack and defence. He is a bit more direct than Wenger is though.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
In what sense? I keep stating it but he took a team in the relegation zone of league 2, to the premier league and will probably not go down again this season.

I can understand criticising his transfers and the like, but it's like everyone is ignoring his fantastic achievement at Bournemouth and focusing solely on the season and a half he's spent in the premier league, in which he survived relegation in his first season, and he's currently 14th atm.

I genuinely believe most of you were unaware about his previous exploits and only knew him when Bournemouth got promoted to the prem. I know that's a bit harsh but I can't understand how you can't think he's a good manager.
He's British. When you're British you're automatically overrated and shit be it a player or manager on this forum.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Getting Bournemouth to where they are now as a club is definitely impressive, but the England manager/next in line for Arsenal hype is over the top and I think partly because he's still young for a manager. Is he really so far ahead of Sean Dyche though?

VP

Media over hype him because he is different then other English managers,in reality he isnt better then them today. At this very moment passing football is marked as "proper" way of playing, you have one English manager trying to make his team play that way,there for media trying to make like he is a chosen one,one and only among millions of English managers. Same way how they see John Stones as one and only ball playing CB in whole country,calling him special talent when at the moment he sux donkey balls.

Also praise for him regarding promotion is also over the top,Watford lost championship title in 93rd minute or so. All acted like Bournemouth paid their players in candy bars,no one mentioned that Russian bankrolling them from the shadow,who if its to believe to few people is worse scum then Roman.

In short Eddie Howe is John Stones among English managers. He might turn to be world class at the end but for someone who`s team is conceding left right and center every season,hype is just way to much.
You're the Robbie Savage of football analysis then. Devoid of any original thought, taking one tired cliche and applying it incorrectly everywhere.

He's British. When you're British you're automatically overrated and shit be it a player or manager on this forum.
It's amazing, isn't it. You'd think Manchester United were a Spanish club judging by the disdain the Caf has for the English game.

The man's taken a tiny club up four divisions - while playing decent football. That's an amazing achievement in Football Manager, let alone real life.

R'hllor

You're the Robbie Savage of football analysis then. Devoid of any original thought, taking one tired cliche and applying it incorrectly everywhere.
Maybe i am and no, i am not applying it everywhere,so you talk bollox in that regard. It is what it is,you cant handle it? Then thats your problem.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

It's amazing, isn't it. You'd think Manchester United were a Spanish club judging by the disdain the Caf has for the English game.

The man's taken a tiny club up four divisions - while playing decent football. That's an amazing achievement in Football Manager, let alone real life.
No one is denying that here though, we're judging him on his Premier League performance. I actually went to Bournemouth Uni, so I am well aware of that rise and what it meant for the people there, but it's as if he get's a free pass at some poor decisions, because he's done what he's done and he's not allowed to be criticised, or not rated as the best young English manager out there destined for greatness.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet

The man's taken a tiny club up four divisions - while playing decent football. That's an amazing achievement in Football Manager, let alone real life
It's quite ridiculous really. People can't think beyond English and overhyped in the same sentence.

Robbie Boy

They have lost 9 of their last 15 league games. Unless their form dramatically improves, they are in serious trouble.

432JuanMata

Don't think it is the managers fault same with Claudio at Leciester there is only so far you can take a certain team before they start going backwards unless they get great investment by the club.
Howe is up there as one of the best English managers around I would put him on level par with Monk as he is doing a great job with a average Leeds team.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
No one is denying that here though, we're judging him on his Premier League performance. I actually went to Bournemouth Uni, so I am well aware of that rise and what it meant for the people there, but it's as if he get's a free pass at some poor decisions, because he's done what he's done and he's not allowed to be criticised, or not rated as the best young English manager out there destined for greatness.
His premier league performance is less than 2 seasons, in which he's fighting against the odds to keep his team up and succeeding. I can definitely understand criticism and the like, it's the constant 'oh he's overhyped because he's English'.

No, it's because he's took a tiny club from the relegation spot in league 2 to the premier league.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
He has done well and is generally a good coach with good ideas, but Wilshere-apart, Bournemouth's summer business was poor. I expected them to go down but I think they will have just enough. They need to ditch cloggers like Simon Francis though.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I just don't understand, he's taken a club from the brink of relegation from league 2, to a settled premier league side.
That's a massive achievement, no one is saying he's the best manager in the world, but he's certainly a good manager.
'Kin he'll, my post was obviously a joke. Lighten up

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think they are a different side since Ake was recalled.

Celestiale

He can definitely be thrown into any PL top club as a manager. More proven then Zidane and Enrique before they took over Real and Barca.
If it would be after me, i'd take a bet for him as our next manager - not with a contract of annuity though

Steven7290

He can definitely be thrown into any PL top club as a manager. More proven then Zidane and Enrique before they took over Real and Barca.
If it would be after me, i'd take a bet for him as our next manager - not with a contract of annuity though
As a football coach/manager I'd say that's true. But Zidane and Enrique are basically from within the club who have good political relationship with the board and backing of players.
But for Eddie, managing at a top club is a whole different animal. The pressure for trophies, heavier players' influences, playing styles, etc. I like the guy though, should probably go to clubs like Everton, Valencia, even Inter or Milan before making a jump to the top dogs.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Simon Francis is a good shout for worst player of the season, how many mistakes leading up to a goal has he made this season? They really should have replaced Ake in the transfer window.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I think they are a different side since Ake was recalled.
It's definitely hit them. Shame that loans work like that. I know that Bournemouth knew the terms going in but they really needed to hang onto him for the entire season. Small sides cannot cope with losing good players.

With regards to Howe, people need to remember how long a career is. He's still doing a great job. A career is never going to be absolutely linear. There will be point of stagnation. He's got new problems to solve now and he's getting some right, some wrong. I think he's a good thinker and he doesn't seem to just be chasing players to solve problems. Players come in, learn his system and he seems to be fair across the board.

I hope they stay up and he gets enough luck with regards to injuries, loans and transfer success to take Bournemouth to that point of 'permanent safety' that Southampton now enjoy.

manutddjw

Wouldn't want him as a manager and I don't agree with Arsenal supporters wanting him to replace Wenger either. He's got impressive accolades but until he proves he can manage at the top level it seems a bridge too far and too risky. Remember people were saying that with a budget at a big club Moyes would be quality.

Bojan11

He's a very good manager at a limited team. If I'm not mistaken he has no real budget to work with and is constrained quite heavily. Their form seemed to turn after Ake was recalled, who was vital to their play.

Seemed like he wanted to buy in January but the club couldn't get much done. I think him, Silva and Clement are the ones to watch out for in the premiership.
No budget?

He spent £15m on Jordan Ibe and £8m on Tyrone Mings for crying out loud.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
No budget?

You think that's a lot? It really isn't a lot when you consider Stoke can risk 15m on Berahino, Sunderland can throw 7.5m on a 30+ Ulloah and Palace can sign Benteke for a silly amount and mid table left backs for 12m a pop.

Womp

idiot
Think he's a top manager tbh, some of the football they play is beautiful at times. They played some incredible football in the 3-3 with Arsenal, throwing the game away aside.

Robbie Boy

Think he's a top manager tbh, some of the football they play is beautiful at times. They played some incredible football in the 3-3 with Arsenal, throwing the game away aside.
Well that's the problem, isn't it? They play some beautiful stuff but they have conceded more than the team that's rock bottom of the league. It's much like Martinez really; get the team to play good attacking football but leave your team completely exposed at the back.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
No budget?

It's not only the transfer fees you have to think about but the wages too. Too many players on high wages plus relegation = recipe for what previously happened at Bournemouth. Once bitten.......

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
Didn't they have a rich owner and outspend their rivals in League 1 and the championship (I remember reading something like that but I could be completely wrong)?

Not saying he is not a good manager, but he might be a bit overrated. Watching their games, they play with great courage/naivety (depends how you want to define it). It is not a surprise to me that they keep coming back in games for example. He pushes so many players forward it is crazy and fun to watch. It is not unusual to see his two strikers and two wingers in the box, and both full backs and both CMs on the edge of the box. The flip side is that they are so open. It makes for a fun viewing but helps explain some of their results. It is also not at all traditionally how relegation candidate teams approach games (except when they are desperate toward the end of the season which explains why they tend to get more points then)

coolredwine

lameredboots
They have spent £70m in the past two seasons and for a club like Bournemouth that is a serious amount.

Still a decent manager but it is not like he has to work with Burnley or Sunderland levels of Budget
Couple of their big name players got long time injuries, no? Gradel, Mings, Callum Wilson?

lsd

The Oracle
Would be worse than Moyes if we took him,is very naive and full of himself .That went well for us last time .

He is overrated and it is because he is English . There's no difference between him and Sean Dyche for one thing but somehow Eddie Howe is the cooler name

At least Marco Silva has shown he can do it in different leagues and win a trophy.

Minimalist

Bit baffled how anyone can state he's overrated. He's done incredibly well as far as I can see.

Does that mean he should be managing a top four side? No idea and probably not going by recent history but he's still done an unbelievable job for that club.

Stacks

Would be worse than Moyes if we took him,is very naive and full of himself .That went well for us last time .

He is overrated and it is because he is English . There's no difference between him and Sean Dyche for one thing but somehow Eddie Howe is the cooler name

At least Marco Silva has shown he can do it in different leagues and win a trophy.
I am English and I agree. There is a clamouring for a decent English manager which is understandable. No one is banging on about Sean Dyche who is doing a sterling job himself. Howe to me is another Allardyce tier manager. I wouldn't risk giving him a top 6 job in a millennia.

VP

Am I missing something here? Is not leading a team from League 2 to the Premiership an impressive managerial achievement?

Robbie Boy

Am I missing something here? Is not leading a team from League 2 to the Premiership an impressive managerial achievement?
It's excellent. But their form is worrying at the moment and he needs to turn it around quickly.

Stacks

Nigel Pearson did similar and he's shit. In fact Pearson was the manager the whole time at Leicester where as Howe left to try his luck at Burnley, failed, got replaced by Dyche who got them promoted instantly whilst Howe could only manage mid table mediocrity. Howe is just another lower mid table manager, that which we have seen before. He is no better than Pearson (in terms of his performances). I fully anticipate that Marco Silva will supersede them all. Why don't these guys get out of their comfort zone and go and do what Moyes did and manage abroad or something? they could go and manage Nice and challenge for a Ligue 1 title. Instead they are happy to avoid relegation or finish mid table and hope that a top side loses their minds and hires them.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Nigel Pearson did similar and he's shit. In fact Pearson was the manager the whole time at Leicester where as Howe left to try his luck at Burnley, failed, got replaced by Dyche who got them promoted instantly whilst Howe could only manage mid table mediocrity. Howe is just another lower mid table manager, that which we have seen before. He is no better than Pearson (in terms of his performances). I fully anticipate that Marco Silva will supersede them all. Why don't these guys get out of their comfort zone and go and do what Moyes did and manage abroad or something? they could go and manage Nice and challenge for a Ligue 1 title. Instead they are happy to avoid relegation or finish mid table and hope that a top side loses their minds and hires them.
Splitting hairs but Pearson didn't take from a club in the relegation spot of League 2, to a Premiership side. I also disagree on him being a shit manager, I actually think he's decent, he's just a lunatic. I think Marco Silva is a very talented manager, he's certainly ahead of Howe in this moment of time. I'm not sure what he has to do with Howe though.

I also disagree with a smaller club manager having to go abroad to copy Moyes for some reason. I certainly think it'd be good for more British managers (and players) to manage abroad at some point to broaden their horizons, but there's nothing wrong with Howe wanting to stay at Bournemouth to finish the job he's started, he hasn't had two full premier league seasons and they're far from being a consolidated premiership team.

It is but it doesn't make you a superstar
It doesn't, nor does it make one immune to criticism. But it's a good argument for people who keep stating he's overhyped, when at most people have said he's a talented young manager in this thread.

It's excellent. But their form is worrying at the moment and he needs to turn it around quickly.
Completely agree.

lsd

The Oracle
He did fail at Burnley too by the way.It's not like everything he touches turns to gold .I just find it strange why he gets so much more praise than other managers

I have to suspect the media have turned to him and made him their golden boy and that leads to people overrating him somewhat.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It is but it doesn't make you a superstar
It could be the beginning of that though.

Keeping Bournemouth will be a job well done and he'll do that this season. He's done a wonderful job there in general.