Edin Dzeko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't know where the lack of pace stuff comes from. He's no Usain Bolt, but I haven't seen any legitimate examples where his pace has been an obstacle. Certainly 65 goals in two years speak for themselves.

VoetbalWizard

I don't know where the lack of pace stuff comes from. He's no Usain Bolt, but I haven't seen any legitimate examples where his pace has been an obstacle. Certainly 65 goals in two years speak for themselves.
65 goals in the most open/offensive 'top' league in europe.

im not saying he's a bad player. he doesn't have eto'o, pato, villa, benzema, torres acceleration and pace, nor is he as versatile as the first two i mentioned.

mind you, i'd swap berbatov for him (no money being exchanged).

Raoul

Admin
Staff
65 goals in the most open/offensive 'top' league in europe.

im not saying he's a bad player. he doesn't have eto'o, pato, villa, benzema, torres acceleration and pace, nor is he as versatile as the first two i mentioned.

mind you, i'd swap berbatov for him (no money being exchanged).
Send Berba and Tosic to Wolfsburg, along with Diouf as one year loaner and the price should come right down. :)

Ole90+3

I don't think we will sign another striker this summer. I have a feeling that United asked Wolfsbury about him in January TW but the asking price was too much. Fergie also prasied his performance in the post match interview after the Group stage game.

Ringo 07

mate, read the thread. one of dzeko's biggest question marks is that he isn't the quickest lad out there. does not have the top end pace that those you mentioned have.
Well are you absolutely certain that he has no pace? Or do you not think that the fact he is a overgrown lanky crouch-like stick insect makes his pace look deceptively slow and could it be something he can work on at United seem as he is still quite young? Some fans in Germany that I have met say he has got good pace for a big man! Have you seen enough of him to absolutely confirm that his pace is a major weakness for him? I admit I have not seen enough of him to make this judgement!

fatboy

If our very slight chance of getting Benzema does not work out then Dzeko is a great option and he is a beast but my only concern would be as to how he would link up with Rooney? Does Dzeko have the explosive pace that all the greatest strikers have like Torres,Villa, Eto`o,Benzema, Rooney etc that would be needed to cut it in England? He would definitely thrive on Valencia`s crossing but we definitely need a striker with great pace to compliment Rooney as the last thing we want is another striker that slows everything down ala Berbs despite Dzekos great aerial threat! Is his pace and link up play good enough for United? Thats the big question!
IF he ever comes to us, he'll probably play further forward, where outright pace may be only as important as other attributes like movement and anticipation. He seems a bit more physical too, so I think he'll be quite different from Berbatov. I don't think he'll slow us down much because he might be less involved in the build-up play.

MUFAN79

I don't understand some people here who are saying that he would not be good for United.
You can't know that for sure.He really is good player.He has not all the attributes for a perfect striker,that's for sure but he has been playing in the constant level
for the last two years.Like charlenefan said this is a very good chance to get him.
AC Milan could be our only competitor for his signing,cause Dzeko once said that he would love to play for them.
He has been always linked with them.The only question here is:
Is SAF willing to make a deal about Dzeko with McClaren?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Well are you absolutely certain that he has no pace? Or do you not think that the fact he is a overgrown lanky crouch-like stick insect makes his pace look deceptively slow and could it be something he can work on at United seem as he is still quite young?
His pace isn't a weakness in the slightest, he's not all that quick off the mark but he's by no means slow.

Much less of a problem when you have Valencia, Nani and Rooney surrounding him.

It just depends whether you think we need someone like Saha again, like many do, or whether you think a different type of striker can work now we've got a different Rooney, which I do.

Still don't see it happening, I think Milan's his destination.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't understand some people here who are saying that he would not be good for United.
You can't know that for sure.He really is good player.He has not all the attributes for a perfect striker,that's for sure but he has been playing in the constant level
for the last two years.Like charlenefan said this is a very good chance to get him.
AC Milan could be our only competitor for his signing,cause Dzeko once said that he would love to play for them.
He has been always linked with them.The only question here is:
Is SAF wiiling to make a deal about Dzeko with McClaren?
I don't see why not, although it wouldn't happen for some time given that he was only just announced as manager today. We've got bags of talent that I'm sure McClaren would value at Wolfsburg - Berba, Tosic, Carrick, Park, Diouf, Owen - all of them could be in play (imo).

Devil may care

Unless Wayne is going to be deployed in a free role or Dzeko doesn't mind not playing in most of our big games I don't see him coming here, I think if we go for another striker it needs to be someone versatile enough to play in a front 3.

Moultz

from that video posted on the first page how the feck can he be classed as "SLOW" he showed a fair bit of pace for some of those goals not to mention the UNBELIEVABLE TEKKERS!

mufcwarm92

A player made for this league, if ever I've seen one. Can't say I've seen alot of him but he certainly looks like a bit of a brute, with a great finish. I'm sure he'd be a great signing, but his price tag will probably keep us away.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
I thought it was pretty nailed on he was joining Milan.

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
Im mixed on him, looks a good goalscorer but again a bit Hunterlaarish in the sense he dosnt offer much else to the team for me, would make our attack a bit 1 dimensional in my opinion, would prefer a quicker more mobile striker like a Higuain/Fabiano/Benzema/Villa type of striker.

muller

I like Dzeko. Just seems to be one of those natural goalscorers who fits most games.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Im mixed on him, looks a good goalscorer but again a bit Hunterlaarish in the sense he dosnt offer much else to the team for me, would make our attack a bit 1 dimensional in my opinion, would prefer a quicker more mobile striker like a Higuain/Fabiano/Benzema/Villa type of striker.
Think that's very harsh, he's definitely as mobile as Fabiano. He's not swift but he gets in behind more than enough and he brings others into play as well as Higuain/Fabiano and the like.

Allforone

Think that's very harsh, he's definitely as mobile as Fabiano. He's not swift but he gets in behind more than enough and he brings others into play as well as Higuain/Fabiano and the like.
Youve probably seen more of him than myself to be honest, ive watched him on half a dozen occasions in total and i think hes definitely a very good player but from what ive seen i just worry our game would be a tad 1 dimensional in the final third with him as the main focal point, he does remind me of Huntelaar in that he dosnt seem to offer a lot outside the box, again from what ive seen……I also wonder how hed get on with Rooney in a front 2, I say that because hes not going to drop off Rooney like a Berbatov does hes very much a main figurehead of an attack and im not sure how it would work really because Rooney seems to have mastered and flourished in that main focal point role and I cant see Sir Alex wanting to change that to much, Dzeko would occupy similar spaces.

Then again the same could be said for the majority i previously mentioned anyway, i just wonder how a front pairing would work with Rooney in his new role, unless wed go back to playing Rooney off a main striker again.

I_live_cement

Cat freak
That's irrelevant because Rooney would be on the pitch with him of course.

Allforone

That's irrelevant because Rooney would be on the pitch with him of course.
Of course, but my point was/is that Dzekos main attribute is his heading and general ariel prowess, hes a beast in the air, couple that with our young exciting wingers, very good wingers at that and our clear preference of attacking via direct wing play most of the time the temptation to loft balls into the box for Dzeko could become a tad to predictable and as i say make our attacks and all round final third play a bit 1 dimensional, it may not be the case but especially if Rooney were injured and Dzeko were leading the line if i were the opposition manager id say its a safe bet that 99% of the threat will come via crosses from wide into him, stop the supply and what else would the attack offer?

It would be the opposite of what our recent success has been built on with quick versatile attacking players and that degree of unpredictability in the final third that im not sure Dzeko provides.

Who knows, ive probably not seen enough of him to form a conclusive opinion really.

vuc

First Team Serb
Allforone, you're forgetting he can play with the ball at his feet too - not as good as Berbatov but good enough, have you seen some of his goals where he has dribbled past defenders?

Also I don't think that Higuain/Benzema would be any less 1 dimensional than Dzeko.

Allforone

Allforone, you're forgetting he can play with the ball at his feet too - not as good as Berbatov but good enough, have you seen some of his goals where he has dribbled past defenders?

Also I don't think that Higuain/Benzema would be any less 1 dimensional than Dzeko.

Yeah im probably doing him a disservice, to be honest like i said ive only seen him on about half a dozen occasions so im basing my views on that really, i haven’t seen him dribble past defenders and score before no, if hes capable of such things on a consistent basis then maybe hes all round game outside the box is a little better than id previously thought, hes just had a touch of the Huntelaars about him from what ive previously seen and to me that was a bit of a no no.

I thought he was a shoe in to sign for Milan anyway last i heard.

Sojiro

Formerly MST3K
"Sometimes you're not sure about a player,&qu

Agree with Vuc here, he can play with his back to goal and bring others into play like berba, however I doubt he would be found coming deep like berba. With his physical presence and our wingers/fb ability to cross, it's seems a very good fit

If we did manage to sign he would be a cracking signing

Kaiketsu_Zorro

Maybe McClaren would like to keep Dzeko. I would if I was just about to take over as manager at Wolfsburg, doesn't make any sense to sell a good striker.
Yep, but then again he can have his own vision of the team and may consider not including Dzeko in it. What I mean is that a manager who's had Dzeko for some time may show more resistance in letting his top player go, whereas a new manager may not see it as such a blow since he problably wants to rebuild the team anyway.

Are relations with Ferguson and McClaren ok or do they not like each other?

Ekeke

Would be a good signing as a partner for Rooney and as a stand in when he's injured or unavailable.

However, if we keep Berbatov and sign Dzeko... We'll have two expensive forwards sitting on the bench in big games on many an occasion. And the way to get them on the pitch would be to bring off our best player... Doesnt really make sense to me.

soapythecat

I think it more than safe to say that we will not be buying another forward unless Berbatov is sold. Like Ekeke has just pointed out, the club won't pay to have two expensive forwards sitting on the bench when we play one up top.
I'd love to see Dzeko at united, as I would Villa and co, but until Berbatov has been sold (which I can't see unfortunately), then my inner muppet is remaining put.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Would be a good signing as a partner for Rooney and as a stand in when he's injured or unavailable.

However, if we keep Berbatov and sign Dzeko... We'll have two expensive forwards sitting on the bench in big games on many an occasion. And the way to get them on the pitch would be to bring off our best player... Doesnt really make sense to me.
Why on Earth would we want 3 of them on pitch in a big game unless we get really desperate?

No wonder it makes no sense. In a big game it will matter little how expensive our bench players are. What will matter is who is needed on the pitch at any given time.

Kaiketsu_Zorro

IMO there's a really good chance Ferguson might be interested in the guy. He likes such prolific strikers. Therefore I think it's fairly probable that if he becomes available, we will try to buy him.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Bosnian and a Serbian on the same team. Next: the little Croatian at Spurs?

Then World Peace next?

Status
Not open for further replies.