Edin Dzeko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
We should buy him instead of any other big name striker.

Why ?

• 24 years young

• 65 goals in his past two years at Wolfsburg

• May be tempted by CL Football at United

• Fergie could use his connection with incoming boss Shteve McClaren to make it happen.

• Is probably more realistic than Benzema.

Discuss.....

SecondFig

My main worry with him is that I think we'd have to bid against at least one other side (Milan) plus probably City (because they'll be bidding on anyone we want) which will push his fee way beyond value for money.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
My main worry with him is that I think we'd have to bid against at least one other side (Milan) plus probably City (because they'll be bidding on anyone we want) which will push his fee way beyond value for money.
That's true of any big name striker. At least City wont be able to offer CL football.

Giggsy seems to think we lost the title because we were too reliant on Wayne, and that we need to bring in goal scorers to off set that next year. This would do just that.

Moultz

He showed his physical abilty against us twice as well this year in the CL group stage. I personally am a big fan. The bubdesliga is one of them leagues that isn't really dissimilar to the English game either.

For me it has to be a German based player or a French based one. Other players that I think will be worth chasing could include Gignac, Olic and possibly Klose? (I'm only really a fan of Dzeko and Gignac and possibly Olic, I just needed examples ha)

on the other hand I would love a midfielder at united who can contribute with 10 - 20 goals a season but they are rare breed these days and the majority of them that are around ar settled in at their clubs and would proabably set us back a fair bit. Names like Van Der Vaart and Sneijder come to mind.

A big however tho is he world cup. If any player we are following has a quality world cup campaign their market price will sky rocket and attract potential rivals to bid against us causing prices to rise even further.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
I don't think Dzeko would leave to go to a club in the Europa cup, City will have to aim lower. Personally I think it would be a great signing for all the reasons the op lists and in addition the fact that he is built physically for the PL. My ideal situation would be to sell an injury prone Owen (in the new 25 man squad system he's wasting a spot) and start next season with Rooney, Berbatov, Pea and Dzeko as our senior strike force. Saying all that our priority has to be a creative central midfielder, to me that's the obvious weakness in our squad.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Pato, Higuian, Benzema, Villa etc are all better.
They're not better, just more fapworthy for Red Cafe transfer muppets. Statistically Dzeko is better than all of them, at least in his goal output, which is precisely what he need. Stick him in a United side with excellent midfield service and you've got yourself a 30 goal striker.

Blair

They're not better, just more fapworthy for Red Cafe transfer muppets. Statistically Dzeko is better than all of them, at least in his goal output, which is precisely what he need. Stick him in a United side with excellent midfield service and you've got yourself a 30 goal striker.
We all said the same when we bought Berba.

*I'm not turning this into a Berba-bashing thread.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Otherbolsters that I think will be worth chasing could include Gignac, Olic and possibly Klose? (I'm only really a fan of Dzeko and Gignac and possibly Olic, I just needed examples ha)
Klose and Gignac have only scored 11 goals combined in the league this season!

And Olic is just a much less talented Tevez - worse finisher, not really creative, more wasteful on the ball - but Dzeko's something else.

He's a level above all of them and one of the safer buys, I reckon.

Just depends on whether he's happy to be rotated a lot.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
We all said the same when we bought Berba.

*I'm not turning this into a Berba-bashing thread.
Not likely. Berba was never expected to be an out and out goal machine. Dzeko is just that at age 24. Thus the comparison isn't valid.

Scholesgoals

i definitely think he'd be the sort of player we want for the right price of course.

but we've already got diouf to do that for us.

Moultz

The thing is with other teams like City, Chelsea and to some extent the likes of Real Madrid and Barca they will be going for the likes of Villa, Torres, Aguero, Ribery (I know he's not a striker) and other big names probably leaving us an easy chance at capturing the signature of Dzeko. Not many clubs apart from the big ones will be able to sign him and we won't be chasing the super big names of world football that is certain in my opinion

VoetbalWizard

Why ?

• 24 years young

• Fergie could use his connection with incoming boss Shteve McClaren to make it happen.

Discuss.....
reasons why not:

- not quick enough.
- does not work like a dog.
- the game in germany is very open (like holland), so goal scoring statistics are a bit embellishing to the striker.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa

Why ?

• 24 years young

To add to this:

• has more pace than Berbatov

• Can play as lone forward

• is superb in the air

• Wouldn't mind benching for Rooney in big games

• Is experienced enough

• isn't so young that he would stop the like of Welbeck Macheda, Keane or King one day stepping up to our first team proper.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I agree with that Chief.

If Rooney goes down next year, we'd essentially in the same situation as this year. Dzeko could come in and keep the goals flowing. He's incredible in the air, is deceptively technical, and at 24 has a massive upside. Imagine Nani and Valencia lobbing crosses in from the wings to a target like him.

vuc

First Team Serb
He's a player who could get a lot better at a club like United. It always annoys me when people come out with the 'He can't cut it in X league'. Dzeko reminds me of an Alan Shearer type of striker, one that decimated defences with all sorts of goals.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

Why ?

• 24 years young

Discuss.....
I agree, him and Modric would be my Muppet fantasy summer :p

Crustanoid

Infinitely more appealing (in terms of what he'd bring to the team) than Berbatov.

I_live_cement

Cat freak
I don't like the fact that he' not very quick, but with Nani and Valencia on the wings he'd bang them in for fun.

Eto'odinho

Retard magnet
Even the idea of starting a thread like this warrants a cock out time. To sum it up, he is want we need seeing as there aren't any crock free Saha like strikers in the market.

Kaiketsu_Zorro

Judging by this video his play is similar to that of RVN's. I would gladly take a striker as prolific as Ruud any day. The big question is how he'd cope with PL though.

Blair

How much would this guy go for in the cummernt market?

Less than £30m?

Pato, Higuian, Benzema, Villa etc are all better.
As the above would all be £30m+ and the chances of getting them are slim. Not to mention we'd be competing with the biggest clubs in Europe for them.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'm not sure we would have to compete with many for his signature

Madrid? No
Barca? No
Chelsea? No
City? He wouldn't choose them over us
Inter? Maybe
Milan? Maybe but surely he'd rather us over them?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
How much would this guy go for in the cummernt market?

Less than £30m?

As the above would all be £30m+ and the chances of getting them are slim. Not to mention we'd be competing with the biggest clubs in Europe for them.
Something in that range. I'm willing to bet Fergie would be willing to do a bit of business with McClaren if the topic came up. Possibly something similar to the Berba deal where we send them Diouf or Chicharito for a year plus cash. Give them Tosic as well and the price could be as low as 20m.

Conversely, McClaren probably fancies repeating his success at Wolfsburg as he did in Holland and may well want to keep Dzeko. Long term however, i just can't see a player of his quality staying at a relatively minnowish side like Wolfsburg.

Blair

I also can't see McClaren selling his best player right after taking the job. I'm sure the fans would love him after that.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Something in that range. I'm willing to bet Fergie would be willing to do a bit of business with McClaren if the topic came up. Possibly something similar to the Berba deal where we send them Diouf or Chicharito for a year plus cash. Give them Tosic as well and the price could be as low as 20m.

Conversely, McClaren probably fancies repeating his success at Wolfsburg as he did in Holland and may well want to keep Dzeko. Long term however, i just can't see a player of his quality staying at a relatively minnowish side like Wolfsburg.
IMHO I'll be surprised if he starts next summer at Wolfsburg. Both us and Milan, his most keen admirers will have the money to get him.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Old article on Dzeko from last December with some quotes by Mike Phelan.

Manchester United close on Dzeko

Manchester United close on Dzeko - Premier League, Football - The Independent

Manchester United are lining up a summer bid for giant Wolfsburg striker Edin Dzeko.

The Bosnian striker has caught United's eye by blasting three goals in five Champions League games - including one at Old Trafford during the Reds 2-1 win earlier this season.

And he gets another chance to impress when United travel to Germany to take on his club in Europe this week.

United's assistant boss Mike Phelan admits the Reds are keeping tabs on Dzeko and reckons he is perfect for the Premier League.

He said: "Any major football league would be interested in a player like that and I'm sure there are numerous clubs looking at him as a possible target.

"He has shown good form and he is a talented footballer. We are looking at talent all the time and we are in there with the rest of them. He has impressed because he came into the Champions League on the back of a very good season. He showed his threat in the game at Old Trafford and he continues to do that in the Champions League. He appeals because he is a tall boy and is skilful and in some ways he is an ideal player for the league in England.

"He has stature, his feet are good and he is producing some very good performances. I am sure everybody has looked at him and thought about him.

"I don't think it is a surprise what he has done.''

Ringo 07

If our very slight chance of getting Benzema does not work out then Dzeko is a great option and he is a beast but my only concern would be as to how he would link up with Rooney? Does Dzeko have the explosive pace that all the greatest strikers have like Torres,Villa, Eto`o,Benzema, Rooney etc that would be needed to cut it in England? He would definitely thrive on Valencia`s crossing but we definitely need a striker with great pace to compliment Rooney as the last thing we want is another striker that slows everything down ala Berbs despite Dzekos great aerial threat! Is his pace and link up play good enough for United? Thats the big question!

VoetbalWizard

If our very slight chance of getting Benzema does not work out then Dzeko is a great option and he is a beast but my only concern would be as to how he would link up with Rooney? Does Dzeko have the explosive pace that all the greatest strikers have like Torres,Villa, Eto`o,Benzema, Rooney etc that would be needed to cut it in England? He would definitely thrive on Valencia`s crossing but we definitely need a striker with great pace to compliment Rooney as the last thing we want is another striker that slows everything down ala Berbs despite Dzekos great aerial threat! Is his pace and link up play good enough for United? Thats the big question!
mate, read the thread. one of dzeko's biggest question marks is that he isn't the quickest lad out there. does not have the top end pace that those you mentioned have.

Status
Not open for further replies.