Edinson Cavani - Manchester United Player

I don't know when this phrase became some sort of guideline for existence in our society, but it's fecking stupid. Ignorance is obviously a good excuse, it's always a good reason. Why should we all be so all-knowing all the time? We're all ignorant of all sorts of things. So what. The problem stems from British ignorance towards South American culture anyway.
great post mate.

Clearly if you are running a company, you need to know about Heath and safety regs, as an example - and ignorance is no excuse.

in normal, everyday life, it’s the bloody reality. Otherwise we might as well all say nothing, and do nothing, because we are not “read into the scenario”.

it’s all part of the modern mentality.

perhaps it’s the word ignorance, that puts a negative connotation on it. But not knowing about things is OK!

I don’t have to have a PHD about theology to have an opinion on religion, clearly I would lose a debate with the Archbishop of Canterbury or with Stephen Fry, depending on my stance, but I’m not. In general conversation, I don’t need to know everything, or to have researched everything before talking to speaking. I’m not claiming to be an expert.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
“Ignorantia juris non excusat” (ignorance is not an excuse) said to me by my boss when I once unwittingly fecked up at work.

Wrong as it seems, but think the FA will still ban Cavani despite knowing he didn’t realise he had caused offence.
Ignorance of the law (juris) is not an excuse. Basic principle or else everyone's defence would be such.

There's no law here, just lack of awareness that after the Suarez saga all Brits are experts, and divided, over the use of a foreign colloquial term.

Brexit is child's play vs negro/negrito.

PS: may as well remind everyone there's absolutely zero chance a non-English speaking foreigner, living in another country followed the ins and outs of how Liverpool argued the Suarez case. Stop saying "he should know from the Suarez case". Of course he doesn't, it's only all you people that spent 6 months debating that.

PoTMS

Ignorance of the law (juris) is not an excuse. Basic principle or else everyone's defence would be such.

There's no law here, just lack of awareness that after the Suarez saga all Brits are experts, and divided, over the use of a foreign colloquial term.

Brexit is child's play vs negro/negrito.

PS: may as well remind everyone there's absolutely zero chance a non-English speaking foreigner, living in another country followed the ins and outs of how Liverpool argued the Suarez case. Stop saying "he should know from the Suarez case". Of course he doesn't, it's only all you people that spent 6 months debating that.
Considering he was a close teammate, I find it very hard to believe he wasn't aware of Suarez's defence.

PoTMS

Suarez never used that word ffs!
I'm not saying that. I'm arguing against the idea Cavani had no idea about how much of a shitstorm the Suarez case caused here in the UK, using a similar word albeit in different circumstances, with Liverpool's defence claiming Suarez used it as a term of endearment.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Considering he was a close teammate, I find it very hard to believe he wasn't aware of Suarez's defence.
You think that was Suarez' explanation to his close circle? Of course it wasn't.

Nobody here (press, fellow NT players, etc) ever debated over the language used. It was given for granted Suarez did what Suarez does: rile up defenders and make them lose focus.

The main talking point was over the unwritten rule that what happens on the pitch stays on the pitch. Everything goes vs there are limits. The means being relevant or the end being all that matters. Leaving Suarez aside for a minute, see Exhibit A Materazzi getting Zidane to lose his rag and a World Cup Final in the process. A highlight of his career, no doubt.

It was a debate on sportsmanship vs streetfootball smarts. All that has absolutely no relevance to a social media post thanking a mate.

Maticmaker

I feel for Cavani, and loathe the bandwagon jumper nobodies like Troy deeney who should focus his efforts on playing football and not trying to vilify someone for sending amessage to a dear friend.
It couldn't be that Deeney weighed in with his two-pence worth, after Watford drew United in 3rd round of the FA Cup ?.... no that cant' be right, can it? Troy would not use this serious subject to put pressure on Cavani, now would he?

Joleon Lescott:

"I don't think we should just allow players to come into the league and use terminology used and deemed OK in their cultures. It's not acceptable here.

"I think it is an opportunity for the FA, the Premier League, whoever it may be to educate people on arrival of the things we can and can't say here. We don't let foreign players hide behind the fact that they drive on a different side of the road when they arrive here.

"They have to adhere to our laws."

Of all the terrible takes...

rstubh

The idea that you can literally translate a word or a phrase from one language to yours and then apply your standards and connotations frustrates me to no end. It's absolute rubbish, but I guess that's a concept that's difficult to comprehend for (many) monolingual Brits. Any media outlets or players that make a story out of this are embarrassing themselves.

JadoreSox

Maybe we need to educate our domestic players to be more aware of foreign cultures instead.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I doubt he was thinking about that, it's not like it's recent history.

Cavani speaks (according to Ole), a whopping two words of English. So he doesn't even have a reasonable foundation to consider how horrifying that word is to everyone here.

Foxbatt

What an ignorant bunch of imbeciles these people are. I don't mean the members here but people like Deeney etc.
As others have said you can't just take word for word and translate it. I speak a couple of languages and I know that very well. I speak a couple more but not fluent and I make the same mistakes. Written language and spoken is different too.
I guess United will defend him with good lawyers and supporting evidence. If he had spoken in English I would understand people getting upset. Deeney or Lescott would not know if it's being spoken in Spanish, Italian or Portuguese. All they know it's a foreign language and it's bad.

Posh Red

It couldn't be that Deeney weighed in with his two-pence worth, after Watford drew United in 3rd round of the FA Cup ?.... no that cant' be right, can it? Troy would not use this serious subject to put pressure on Cavani, now would he?
He said it before the draw I’m pretty sure

Member 101269

Guys, does any know if Troy Deeney said you need to proofread to ensure you’re not an idiot.

This seems to imply if you can’t proofread you are an idiot. Hm is this potentially an issue against dyslexics

AngliaRed

Our new no.9 who clearly is a guaranteed starter now if fit and not tired.

I would rest him every couple of games to keep him fresh but its clear to he has a footballing brain that Martial and Rashford can only dream of.

I hope he has 2-3 good seasons left in him.

Sylar

Not sure why he came off when we knew we would be putting crosses in late

cyberman

Why is he putting so much on the chip? surely he can loft it and let it bounce in?
Commentary were waxing lyrical about it but he missed. He didnt have to be so precise

cyberman

It's not that easy tbh, with the adrenaline and everything
But hes a legendary striker. He took the harder option! Even take it across the defender that was behind him.
I dunno. Its a strange game to reflect on.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
He was unlucky not to score, you cant blame him for that.

Martial on the other hand......

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Really should’ve stayed on, especially as he’s looking down the barrel of a league ban, he’d have had a week to recover if he was tired.

the_answer

Maybe we need to educate our domestic players to be more aware of foreign cultures instead.
I always wonder who are the real racists...

I mean some person sees a tweet using a spanish word related to the colour black to a spanish guy and instantly think about racism...
Seems like race is constantly on this person's mind not?

While Cavani didnt even think about the racial connotations I suppose. Maybe because race ain't on his mind all the time?

Maticmaker

Yeah that truly was his Torres or if you are old enough to remember him Ronny Rosenthal
Torres maybe, but Rosenthal...surely not?

Ronny's was a true a case of 'missing an open goal' as you could ever see, there was no keeper, no defender in shot; however just like Rosenthal, Martial will be plague by repeats of his miss, year in and year out until he retires.

Torres never really recovered from his miss for Chelsea, Rosenthal was on his way down anyway, hope it not an omen for Tony, his confidence is fragile at the best of times... a few decades of the Rosary needed. I think!

KekiZeki

Joleon Lescott:

"I don't think we should just allow players to come into the league and use terminology used and deemed OK in their cultures. It's not acceptable here.

"I think it is an opportunity for the FA, the Premier League, whoever it may be to educate people on arrival of the things we can and can't say here. We don't let foreign players hide behind the fact that they drive on a different side of the road when they arrive here.

"They have to adhere to our laws."

Of all the terrible takes...
What is terrible about it? People should conform to PL rules and not bring their own from home and act as if it's ok.

We can't be hypocritcal, when we wanted that racist Suarez banned and it's a player from the same nationality as our own.

Cavani did bad there. There was always a risk he could be a troblemaker, we just took the gamble with him because we are not in the postion to buy Kane.

Santos J

I always wonder who are the real racists...

I mean some person sees a tweet using a spanish word related to the colour black to a spanish guy and instantly think about racism...
Seems like race is constantly on this person's mind not?

While Cavani didnt even think about the racial connotations I suppose. Maybe because race ain't on his mind all the time?
Ah the old "you're racist for thinking it's racist" argument. Always a good laugh.

Plymouth Red

There was always a risk he could be a troblemaker
A troublemaker! Get real.

Everything we have heard has pointed to him being the perfect professional. An innocent inadvertent remark on social media which would be completely acceptable in many football leagues does not constitute trouble-making.

Troublemaking is constantly saying publicly that you see your future elsewhere or you feel happier with a different group of team mates that within your own club. Remind you of anyone?

KekiZeki

A troublemaker! Get real.

Everything we have heard has pointed to him being the perfect professional. An innocent inadvertent remark on social media which would be completely acceptable in many football leagues does not constitute trouble-making.

Troublemaking is constantly saying publicly that you see your future elsewhere or you feel happier with a different group of team mates that within your own club. Remind you of anyone?
I have spoken at lenght that we should freeze Pogba out until we can offload him somewhere. Cavani made a problem for us here. Very hard to see him escape the ban and even if he does he'll have that hanging over him anytime he plays with black teammates. He should not have made that post.

Players have a more rigorous rules to follow because they represent the club. What is good for regular person it's not ok for players. Like it or not that is the truth and we ourselves insisted that this word be classed as wrong by the league. Suarez got 8 match ban, we can hope he gets less as it is not done at the game or to an opponent but still the word has been declared offensive by the PL already.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I have spoken at lenght that we should freeze Pogba out until we can offload him somewhere. Cavani made a problem for us here. Very hard to see him escape the ban and even if he does he'll have that hanging over him anytime he plays with black teammates. He should not have made that post.

Players have a more rigorous rules to follow because they represent the club. What is good for regular person it's not ok for players. Like it or not that is the truth and we ourselves insisted that this word be classed as wrong by the league. Suarez got 8 match ban, we can hope he gets less as it is not done at the game or to an opponent but still the word has been declared offensive by the PL already.
Yeah that’s not gonna be an issue.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Have you actually read the Suarez case, by any chance? The matters aren’t similar at all.