Edinson Cavani - SIGNED for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deery

Dreary
Now that I’ve gotten all my annoyance out of my system, I think it’s time to embrace the Cavani transfer.

Ranchero

How many times does it need repeating in this thread that it appears his and his agents demands have dropped?
Even Romano has confirmed we are going to pay less than the 10m agent fee they wanted from Ath. Madrid and any other potential suitors earlier in the window.
Likely he was Athletico bound and was always going to drop his demands late in the window if they didn’t cave, but the Suarez/Juve/Ath. Madrid situation fecked that up for them.
Cavani on decent wages, a decent agent fee and a 1+1 deal isn’t panicking, it’s an opportunity.
If you say so.

DoomSlayer

How many times does it need repeating in this thread that it appears his and his agents demands have dropped?
Even Romano has confirmed we are going to pay less than the 10m agent fee they wanted from Ath. Madrid and any other potential suitors earlier in the window.
Likely he was Athletico bound and was always going to drop his demands late in the window if they didn’t cave, but the Suarez/Juve/Ath. Madrid situation fecked that up for them.
Cavani on decent wages, a decent agent fee and a 1+1 deal isn’t panicking, it’s an opportunity.
We shouldn't be paying even a third of 10 million to his agent, what are Cavani's other options?

Seems like no top club is after him so it's either us or the MLS/Qatar route.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
We shouldn't be paying even a third of 10 million to his agent, what are Cavani's other options?

Seems like no top club is after him so it's either us or the MLS/Qatar route.
Looks like the club are damned if they do and damned if they don't at this stage.

Absolutely they have made a pig's ear out of a silk purse this window but this is a position that the club have done the right thing.

- Signed a player with a proven track record
- Can score goals,
- Offers a different kind of play,
- Will not damage the development of Greenwood, Rashford
- Upgrade on departing Ighalo, so no panic buy or recruitment in January.

I see a lot more positives than negatives with this transfer

DoomSlayer

Looks like the club are damned if they do and damned if they don't at this stage.

Absolutely they have made a pig's ear out of a silk purse this window but this is a position that the club have done the right thing.

- Signed a player with a proven track record
- Can score goals,
- Offers a different kind of play,
- Will not damage the development of Greenwood, Rashford
- Upgrade on departing Ighalo, so no panic buy or recruitment in January.

I see a lot more positives than negatives with this transfer
That still doesn't mean we have to do a deal with our pants down.

Denis79

Why bring him in at the start of the window and pay his wages when Ighalo is still here and will be until Jan. By signing a Igahlo replacement at the end window it would have saved around 1.7m. I mean, for all the hate Woodward gets, if we had some of the people on here running the club, I have no doubt we would eventually end up like Leeds of the 00's....there's a remarkable amount of Ridsdale's on here...

Dear me... Look if we really had planned to bring Cavani and he was a player we really wanted we would have signed him then, not left him there for the taking until the last day of the transfer window.

According to you we left him on the market to save 1.7M, risking another club to swoop him (makes no sense if we really wanted him). Or there was never a risk for this since no one but us would be stupid enough to sign him.

Last edited:

Fosu-Mens

Anyone seen him regularly in his last two seasons at PSG? Any noticeable decline in physicality? Personal opinion is that he has always been dependent on his good physical abilities, and if these are gone, then he is not close to being the same player.

Dependent on wages, agent fees and his decline or lack of decline physically, this can either be a good or bad transfer.
Glazernomics it certainly makes sense. Rather than paying £30m for a decent attacker + wages, they pay around £10m? per year in wages + agent and sign-on fee (£10m total?) for a highly known player that will sell shirts and be useful in commercials. Don't know about his usefulness on the pitch though. Smells of Sanchez to me, but hope it is only a 1+1 contract with only the club having the option to extend for one more year.

Macern

Pee pee pants
:lol: :lol:
Not bad in his seven starts.
Next....
A goal or assist every 120,4 minutes for the easiest team in the world to play as an attacker in the league for. I wouldn’t call it impressive. Even Choupo-Moting had goal involvements more often.

Ollie Derbyshire

Alright big man, I will surely take your highly sophisticated pieces of writing into account and will hang my uneducated head in shame.
I’m still waiting for you to say who you would have brought in this window? Don’t think you’ve answered anyone’s questions in response to yours, just tried to shout down anyone who might think this is a decent short term signing.

Also you say play Rashford or Greenwood as CF if Martial is injured, who do you play in their positions? Lingard? James? Personally I think Cavani at CF and Rashford and Greenwood in their positions is much stronger than the alternative. Answer my questions or stop responding to me, I really don’t care.

Sophisticated pieces of writing? It’s a football forum, I don’t come on here to spend time writing sophisticated responses to you going overboard with the negativity if things don’t pan out the way you wanted. It’s your choice to jump on the media campaign to spin everything as negative as possible and believe everything you read on the Internet about deals they have no idea about what is being discussed. Fill your boots pal. I won’t live my life that way.

I’m sure nearly everyone is underwhelmed about our transfer window, we have glaring holes in the squad but that doesn’t mean we can’t improve on other areas if we think it’s the right thing to do.

cyberman

How so? I’m a massive Greenwood fan and hope he has a great season for us but our lack of depth on both attacking left or rights positions is an unresolved problem in my view.
Who has a lot of depth there though? Greenwood is fantastic, he adds to the attacking play and has a very good chance of getting 20 plus goals from the wing this season. Im all for signing Sancho but it has to be at that level to displace Mason. Its not a get any RW at any cost situation since we have one of the brightest prospects in world football playing there right now who will only get better.
Our front 3 plus Cavani is as good as depth as anyone outside of City have right now and we have seen how depth isnt the be all and end all with their results over the last 18 months. If they didnt sign Mharez and Silva then Sancho and Sane would probably be there right now and theyd be better off.
We dont need 2 or 3 top players behind our front 3 to be successful

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Firstly it is fair to say Cavani is an act of desperation to appease the fans. Otherwise, we could have had him in well before now. Secondly, whether desperation or not, we do actually need a proven goalscorer and Cavani, 33 or not, actually makes sense. My one major qualm is his fitness. He is prone to being out through injury and I cannot see he gets older that that will change. Martial, as much as everyone loves him, is not the finished article as a striker. He has been effectively learning the position. So, I would not see Cavani as playing second fiddle to Martial in any way, more to provide much needed competition so that the Frenchman cannot go into lax mode. At Cavani's age, he would need to be starting games otherwise it is a waste of time.

So as much as I can see through the desperation, whether he is this year's Falcao or Zlatan, is definitely an open question.
Went well.

DoomSlayer

I’m still waiting for you to say who you would have brought in this window? Don’t think you’ve answered anyone’s questions in response to yours, just tried to shout down anyone who might think this is a decent short term signing.

Also you say play Rashford or Greenwood as CF if Martial is injured, who do you play in their positions? Lingard? James? Personally I think Cavani at CF and Rashford and Greenwood in their positions is much stronger than the alternative. Answer my questions or stop responding to me, I really don’t care.

Sophisticated pieces of writing? It’s a football forum, I don’t come on here to spend time writing sophisticated responses to you going overboard with the negativity if things don’t pan out the way you wanted. It’s your choice to jump on the media campaign to spin everything as negative as possible and believe everything you read on the Internet about deals they have no idea about what is being discussed. Fill your boots pal. I won’t live my life that way.

I’m sure nearly everyone is underwhelmed about our transfer window, we have glaring holes in the squad but that doesn’t mean we can’t improve on other areas if we think it’s the right thing to do.
I love how you're trying to wind me up by saying I haven't answered any questions when it's the exact opposite and I have stated my fully detailed opinions a few times already. :lol:

I can't be bothered to keep writing the same things, mate, if you want to, you can read back my comments and see exactly what I would have liked the club to do. It's your choice if you want to engage in a serious conversation, I always treat people the way they treat me so if you had shown respect to my thoughts, I would have done the same for you. It's really simple.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I'm not against signing Cavani but it just stinks of the usual panic buy at the end of the window from the club after failing to meet objectives all summer. Totally indictive of the shambolic way we are run.

Ollie Derbyshire

I love how you're trying to wind me up by saying I haven't answered any questions when it's the exact opposite and I have stated my fully detailed opinions a few times already. :lol:

I can't be bothered to keep writing the same things, mate, if you want to, you can read back my comments and see exactly what I would have liked the club to do. It's your choice if you want to engage in a serious conversation, I always treat people the way they treat me so if you had shown respect to my thoughts, I would have done the same for you. It's really simple.
Haha, your thoughts last night didn’t deserve any respect.

Deery

Dreary
They already are

Have you checked the BBC comments section on this story?

We are the butt of jokes. It's so embarrassing to be a fan of this club now.

Our rivals are making jealousy inducing signings are we are signing a washed up 33 year old who nobody else wants.

I'm fed up. Just fed up
I read a few tweets under the Sky article, there must have been about 700 tweets and not any of them were positive towards our club.

Other fans just taking the piss “banter club” and the like. it’s a real pity because we used to be the envy of the football community now we are a laughing stock.

Ollie Derbyshire

Then feel free to ignore me or expect me to talk back to you in the same manner. Your comments haven't really been a revelation of insightfulness.
Talk back anyway you want, but if your not going to answer my questions there’s no point.

Red00012

Your post doesn’t fit the narrative for the rubbish that’s spouted on here since last night .

cyberman

Greenwood is not the RW solution, he's a stop gap because we have nothing else. We're going after a young rw (Sancho) because the club knows this, if they thought Greenwood was the solution they would be looking at buying a back-up rw. Greenwood is a no.9
Hes not a 9 yet and Sancho is a player you go for if you can. It doesnt mean Mason needs replaced out there.
How anybody can look at his performances and think we need a solution to the wing is just beyond me. If he played for Wolves with those performances we would be proclaiming him as a must get messiah the same way we are Sancho.
There seems to be a Sancho or doomed mentality going around which just doesnt fit into the reality we have. Our RW is more than capable of scoring 20 plus goals and theres posts about not being a winger? Well hes not a winger. Hes an excellent inside forward.

Denis79

I think some people don't even understand the potential fitness issues. He's had no pre season and has not played a match since the start of March.
Think you jumped in the middle of a longer exchange, so you've taken the post out of context. I claimed that this transfer was a panic buy and my point was that if we really wanted Cavani all along we would have gone for him sooner and not left him on the market until the last day, leaving a chance for other clubs to potentially sign him.

DoomSlayer

Talk back anyway you want, but if your not going to answer my questions there’s no point.
Yeah, well I definitely answered everything that you are trying to portray that I haven't. I replied to you and other posters as well, I don't have to repeat myself or we end up going in circles, debating the same shite every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.