Edinson Cavani - SIGNED for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

SinNombre

Romano is only copying what he saw in AS and reported by Spanish journalists.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Whichever we get, I have faith in Ole's choice and not just based on player's ability alone but count as player's style, injury risk, wages, and etc. One thing for sure, we need to upgrade Ighalo. When your backup striker didn't play well or can't score against low table of Championship team then he's not good enough.

ti vu

Yeah I would prefer Jovic,my only other thought is could Cavani come in for 2 years then sign Haaland in 2022
What if Cavani become a disaster? We may be back into the market quickly for another forward. And if Haaland keeps developing well, it's not like he lack suitors for us to be so sure about acquiring him. In worse case, he for some reasons fails, or Haaland moves next year after some clubs paying Dortmund a silly fee then who would we buy then?

My point being that we can only do what is best in front of us. Trying to get the best possible signing right now, or we're just deluding ourselves while turning into Arsenal.

Last edited:

croadyman

What if Cavani become a disaster? We may be back into the market quickly for another forward. And if Haaland keeps develop well, it's not like he lack suitors for us to be so sure about acquiring him. In worse case, he for some reasons fails, or Haaland move next year after some club paid Dortmund a silly fee then who would we buy then?

My point being that we can only do what best in front of us. Trying to get the best possible signing right now, or we're just deluding ourselves while turning into Arsenal.
Yeah I will admit there is a risk it doesn't work out hence why I feel Jovic would be less of a risk but doesn't have the proven pedigree of Cavani

Stretender

This thread just shows how little understanding some fans have of football.

I am encouraged to see that Ole is in the market for a striker . Despite the potential of Greenwood, it is still our weak area. Martial is ok but he can't be relied on to stay fit all season and indeed can't be relied on to score goals sometimes.

We must always look at improving that area.People who think Greenwood is ready to be our main striker need to get real. High talent yes, but he is young, needs managing properly and could do with help so that he doesn't feel pressurized to be our saviour at such a young age.

If you are buying Telles and Sancho, both good crossers of the ball you need someone to be at the end of those crosses and head them in. Cavani and Jovic fit that profile. We need variation of play especially when Martial is struggling.

Last edited:

ti vu

How good is s Jovic though and why did he do so badly at Madrid?
Jovic IMO was better in his final season in Bundesliga than Timo Werner.

Zidane clearly favors Benzema, and Benzema is a top class forward in his own right now that he is the focal of the team. If Benzema didn't have issue and get ban from France NT, he would be France leading forward, putting Giroud on the bench. Which means Martial is further away from playing as CF.

James Rodriguez looks a good player in PL in no time despite couldn't get a sniff at Real Madrid last season under Zidane. Real Madrid has politic issue in dressing room. Ronaldo at Juventus said that Juventus dressing room has a family feeling, implying the contrary about Real Madrid dressing room.

ti vu

Cavani on a free is too good to pass down I feel
Yet some other clubs who also after a forward even just for rotation purpose gave it a pass. Beside his decline in performance, he had become injury prone recently too. Knowing our luck with old injury prone player, I wouldn't go near Cavani now if I am in decision making position at the club.

Siorac

A young player needs to be eased in. He’s been fantastic this far, and that’s due to his management.

I think Greenwood has the potential to be sensational for Utd, but he’s still only 18, and has a hell of a lot to prove. He’s not displacing Martial soon, and he don’t think he’s anywhere near ready to be a sole striker for United. That’s no bad thing, and he will continue to develop as an inside right forward. He’s only 18.
Technically, in the absolutrly strictest possible sense, you are correct but he turns 19 tomorrow.

(doesn't really change the actual gist of the post but I had to point it out)

Kostov

He'd be a great option, but feck me why are we waiting till now? He's been available for fecking ages? Shambolic planning.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Some of you are against striker like Cavani while our only backup option is Ighalo? Ighalo who looks out of shape completely and whos loan expires in 3 months

ti vu

Some of you are against striker like Cavani while our only backup option is Ighalo? Ighalo who looks out of shape completely and whos loan expires in 3 months
The point being Cavani nowadays ain't the same player few years ago. He is also injured a lot now. 3 month to end the mare of a loan deal in Ighalo to receive a potential couple season deal for not much better return. Of course, skepticism is needed.

There is a reason, the Italian forward buying harem in Italy even pass on Cavani despite he used to be a huge success there and Serie A can better accommodate old players.

Pav1878

Can see why people are for and against cavani but what is the alternative for a player to come in and be content to be on the bench to be back up to martial?

Any elite young forward won't be happy with that surely?

ti vu

Can see why people are for and against cavani but what is the alternative for a player to come in and be content to be on the bench to be back up to martial?

Any elite young forward won't be happy with that surely?
Martial needs competition, not just back up.Competition benefit players and the clubs too. We used to have a lot of competition for our forward, attacker position under SAF. Did no harm. If anything it squeezed more out of the player, even the lesser talented player.

Skåre Willoch

Don't really want, but see why he's a logical option. 1+1 year contract with salary heavily related to performance?

MrBest

Either would be great, as both would not be first team starters. We need depth and if we get them practically free, then it is good business. As many have said, Cavani would need to take a wage cut.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
My only concern here is his injury record.

Nothing ever works for you guys:
  • Sign youth => lacks experience
  • Sign mid-20s => will block Xs development for years
  • Sign over 30 => old, will get stuck with him, no resale value
Martial's attributes are very different to Cavani's. It's not just competition but options.

Any of our "strikers" would do well to get anywhere near the career and peak level Cavani has achieved. His movement in particular is something they are miles away from.

We lack experience, we lack mentors for the kids, which was what I most appreciated about Ibra. At the other end, Cavani is on the same page as Suarez and Godin and wants to keep himself fit and competitive through WCQ and Qatar 2022, else he would have buggered off back home by now.

One of the best strikers of the last decade on a two year stint? We would be foolish not to go for it unless, again, his knees are completely gone, which is the only reasonable explanation for this not to have been looked into earlier.

beingshe7don

My only concern here is his injury record.

Nothing ever works for you guys:
  • Sign youth => lacks experience
  • Sign mid-20s => will block Xs development for years
  • Sign over 30 => old, will get stuck with him, no resale value
Martial's attributes are very different to Cavani's. It's not just competition but options.

Any of our "strikers" would do well to get anywhere near the career and peak level Cavani has achieved. His movement in particular is something they are miles away from.

We lack experience, we lack mentors for the kids, which was what I most appreciated about Ibra. At the other end, Cavani is on the same page as Suarez and Godin and wants to keep himself fit and competitive through WCQ and Qatar 2022, else he would have buggered off back home by now.

One of the best strikers of the last decade on a two year stint? We would be foolish not to go for it unless, again, his knees are completely gone, which is the only reasonable explanation for this not to have been looked into earlier.
I think the issue lies with the wages and making sure not to disrupt the wage structure. But then again we've got 3 goalkeepers who are altogether on around ~500k per week.

Adamsk7

Would definitely take him or Jovic and both have pluses and minuses. Cavani would be a great backup right now and is quality. He’s also a super hard worker so would suit the pressing style we want to adopt. the downside of course is he’s near the end of his career and could be an injury risk.
Jovic is a little more unproven but he’s younger so we could always ask for an option to buy. Potentially an excellent striker but it hasn’t taken off for him at Madrid.Lower wages than Cavani

I think the reason we are looking at these so late is because we probably needed to clear some wages off the books first

jesperjaap

Couldn’t care less about history. Pele was better than them all... who was better last season, Cavani, Pele or Martial?

Would he be in the top 5 strikers in the PL. No. I even caveated the second group, and it’s clear they are attacking players rather than out and out strikers.

There are very few out and out strikers these days. Look at Liverpool. Would he get in the team ahead of Firminho, Salah and Mane - absolutely not, yet the only out and out striker they have is Firminho.
Pele was a number 10 :P

croadyman

Interesting that Sky Sports are saying they are both seen as alternatives to Sancho,personally was thinking they were completely seperate deals myself

Interesting that Sky Sports are saying they are both seen as alternatives to Sancho,personally was thinking they were completely seperate deals myself
Could be an alternative. Buying Sancho means Greenwood plays as a striker.

Buying Cavani means Greenwood plays on the right.

So not a direct alternative, but it works due to the flexibility of Greenwood.

croadyman

Could be an alternative. Buying Sancho means Greenwood plays as a striker.

Buying Cavani means Greenwood plays on the right.

So not a direct alternative, but it works due to the flexibility of Greenwood.
Will wait to see if any of the usual journos suggest that is the case first

croadyman

I have a feeling we will try and get Jovic before deadline,however if it looks like he really is going to Roma then expect a move after the deadline for Cavani as he is a free agent.

Bestietom

Cavani is past it now. Jovic would be a better option, but looks like he is off to Roma. A younger big strong striker who can get on the end of these crosses that Telles and Sancho will provide, is what we need.

croadyman

Cavani is past it now. Jovic would be a better option, but looks like he is off to Roma. A younger big strong striker who can get on the end of these crosses that Telles and Sancho will provide, is what we need.
Still say there is an experienced goalscorer in there who can really help our front three

Status
Not open for further replies.