Edinson Cavani - SIGNED for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adamsk7

Aubameyang is 33 and nobody at Arsenal is moaning about him still being their main man. Cavani would be a great option from the bench IMO and also to start some games - If we are looking at Telles, who's greatest strength is his crossing, then having someone who's actually good in the air would be a major plus. His movement is also light years ahead of our strikers, who are still learning their trade.

Some are talking like he's some over the hill, unfit player - Yes, he had a few injuries last year but largely he is a supremely fit professional who will probably still outwork most of our squad on pressing.

I'm all for it - I'd see him more of a Zlatan than a Falcao.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Aubameyang is 33 and nobody at Arsenal is moaning about him still being their main man. Cavani would be a great option from the bench IMO and also to start some games - If we are looking at Telles, who's greatest strength is his crossing, then having someone who's actually good in the air would be a major plus. His movement is also light years ahead of our strikers, who are still learning their trade.

Some are talking like he's some over the hill, unfit player - Yes, he had a few injuries last year but largely he is a supremely fit professional who will probably still outwork most of our squad on pressing.

I'm all for it - I'd see him more of a Zlatan than a Falcao.
No he's not.

Adamsk7

No he's not.
Isn't he? haha I've just looked and you're right, he's 31. Still, the rest of my points are still valid, Cavani would improve our squad and I don't buy the talk that he's finished or would be a disruption.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Cavani is far more broken then Falcao was when we brought him in. If we get Cavani, Dembele then they would boost Manchester United clinic FC greatly

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Yeah, really not excited by this move. Our past experiences with former great players coming to us at the last moment with recent injuries haven't exactly been awesome. Hope I'm proved wrong.

Cavani is far more broken then Falcao was when we brought him in. If we get Cavani, Dembele then they would boost Manchester United clinic FC greatly
It’s not a good comparison at all. Falcao was overcoming a serious injury, and we gambled on him being able to overcome that and him regaining fitness and form. If he could do that, then we had someone who could be a world class forward for a 2-3 years.

Crustanoid

I really hope this is agent speculation. The money needed to fund his wages could be better spent elsewhere on players with longer lifetimes. Have we not learned from Sanchez? We’re idiots if we sign him

croadyman

Yeah, really not excited by this move. Our past experiences with former great players coming to us at the last moment with recent injuries haven't exactly been awesome. Hope I'm proved wrong.
I would prefer Jovic over Cavani because he is younger but if Madrid want to keep him as looks likely then nothing wrong in signing a backup target.

Yes he could end up like Falcao and we are left looking like mugs but there is also that possibility he could a Zlatan like influence on our front three.

SplitzMagic

Okay I know Zlatan is a beast and is elite when it comes to his body and fitness but cmon, why are we do quick to write off Cavani?

Zlatan is 38... I'm sure cavani at 33 has 2 years left in the tank at least. Heck, I'm sure quagliarella was top scorer of serie a in 18/19 season at the age of 35.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Furthermore I want to know why the players think they can "demand" things from us in order to come here?. What makes them so indispensable that we can't pick someone else out and give them the chance..

svn

Okay I know Zlatan is a beast and is elite when it comes to his body and fitness but cmon, why are we do quick to write off Cavani?
I'd like to think it's mostly because anytime he played last season he was a shadow of his former self. At 33, it's more likely to be a decline rather than a spot of bad form. I don't think it's worth finding out.

Cantonagotmehere

At least he will work his arse off. He has a lot more cojones than most of our squad. I would bring him on a free, Igahlo cannot be the answer.

snowkarl

Ighalo Mk 2. He’ll come in and say the right things, Bang in a few goals in the cups and fade into deadwood but on a longer deal
Except we'll be paying Cavani 300kpw for 2-3 years... this is going to be a bad, bad transfer. No one wants him, he was heading to Gremio before we joined the chase.

ants7

Both, Dembele and Cavani transfers are opposing our current philosophy, even if they are loan deals. Will we ever learn?

snowkarl

Both, Dembele and Cavani transfers are opposing our current philosophy, even if they are loan deals. Will we ever learn?
This is EXACTLY like signing Di Maria & Falcao. It's a joke.

Except Dembele is nowhere near as good as Di Maria anymore.

Cavani scored FOUR league goals last year. He is not productive. His legs are gone.

Woodenlung

Cavani would've been a great signing a fee years ago. But he's just old for a top level striker now. I've had enough of knee jerk signings near the end of the window. It's clear that we're now scrambling for any high profile player we can get our hands on.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He was reportedly on around 300k p/w at PSG (last contract). And he was - again reportedly - willing to take a pretty massive pay cut on a possible new contract (down 40% according to some sources).

So...he shouldn't cost an arm and a leg (relatively speaking). If we sign him on a one year contract, we're looking at something around 10m as a ballpark figure (I would think). Maybe less, actually.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I have a really weird feeling inside me that this will actually happen. I don't know why... just seems like a really Ed thing to do.

iHicksy

I don't quite understand how people can get themselves so worked up over made up rumours or transfer stories that don't have credible sources. People posting about how the club is a joke etc need to step away from the internet for a while. You can call the club badly run for other reasons, transfer related and not, but getting angry at the club for things that are likely made up is just silly.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Not buying this one at all. Seems like a Jose or LVG signing, but the total opposite of an Ole signing. I’d be very surprised if we bring him in.

croadyman

I don't quite understand how people can get themselves so worked up over made up rumours or transfer stories that don't have credible sources. People posting about how the club is a joke etc need to step away from the internet for a while. You can call the club badly run for other reasons, transfer related and not, but getting angry at the club for things that are likely made up is just silly.
Take it you think there was never anything in the Jovic stuff then,shame because would have given us a different option up front

croadyman

Not buying this one at all. Seems like a Jose or LVG signing, but the total opposite of an Ole signing. I’d be very surprised if we bring him in.
Ole would have wanted Jovic but looks like Zidane has made him feel wanted and we are stuck with Ighalo

witchtrials

Thinking back a few years, to me he was part of a "one last big pay day" trinity of strikers (alongside Falcao and Ibrahimovic) who we'd missed the boat with and was very keen for us not to sign in the twilight of their careers. Would be infuriating to end up signing all three of them. Don't believe we'll sign him now though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.