Edinson Cavani - SIGNED for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Me! Will be 1:00 am in Germany. The club will probably announce it as late as possible to celebrate themselves after every other PL transfer has been announced.
The transfer window closes at midnight CET, so probably no need to wait that long.

RUCK4444

The no 7 shirt might motivate him. Not like Sancho is wearing it for us is it...

I’m not happy exactly but jeez, we have more pressure issues.

Fooza

Absolutely disgrace, this is Owen mk2

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Seriously who the feck thought giving him Sancho's Number 7 was a good idea

The idiocy knows no bounds

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Woodward can't be bothered to sign someone worthy of the number 7 shirt so we give it to the aging sub striker, like with Michael Owen. :lol:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I’m beginning to think Woodward doesn’t have access to social media.

OleBoiii

Smart move by Ed. That number is cursed. Maybe this will counter it somehow?

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Don't mind the player, but giving him No.7 proper winds me up. This club, I'm speechless

ArjenIsM3

You lot realize we've only signed Cavani for 1 season and there's no way Sancho is coming in January right? I'm not so sure we'll even be in for Sancho again next summer having just signed two young wingers for a combined 40m. Just get over it.

Chairman Steve

Am I the only one who doesn’t really care about the shirt numbers? I get it that it has a history but at the end of the day it’s just a number on the back of a shirt and the front of a pair of shorts. It’s not like it’s an Infinity Gauntlet or something. Its a piece of fabric fashioned into a 7.

Morpheus 7

If someone told you back in August he be our next 7, you would have laughed. Sums up this window, fecking disgrace.

diarm

Sanchez, Depay, Di Maria, Valencia and Michael fecking Owen are the last 5 men to wear that shirt... and some of you are losing your shit that we're giving it to Edison Cavani?

tjb

I‘m not gloating. I’m hardly in a position to do so. I’ve been disappointed how far we have fallen. Though I’m impressed so far with what Arteta has achieved.
i think Covid has meant much less money around but I saw a stat which said Man Utd have spent 1 billion since Fergie left so money might now finally be a problem for you. To be honest, this season has been quite refreshing so far. As much as I’d like to think we have a chance, the reality is we might at best scrape top 4. Once you go down it takes years to get back. Frankly, I would prefer Everton or Aston Villa to win the title than any other top 6 team. Probably won’t happen. But, at the end of the day, support your team. It might be a bad season but in time you’ll bounce back. Football goes in cycles.
It's a weird start to the season, but i think over time the teams with the best depth will do well aka the big sides. I honestly believe the premier league did teams a disservice by having the season start so soon. As much as people want to be angry at some of the bigger teams aka ourselves, the players are clearly suffering from a lack of preseason. You see this in basketball all the time and unlike La Liga or the Bundesliga, the premier league is so competitive that even the smallest blip in fitness can hurt you. United's issue was that the depth we had, particularly in attack was so bad that even though players like Greenwood, Pogba and Martial are clearly struggling with fitness, we cannot afford to bring James or Lingard to replace them. Same thing with Wan- Bissaka, he is clearly unfit compared to his usual self, but with no quality right back alternatives, he has to persevere. Thankfully the international break will give some of them a chance to adapt.

What some of our fans are too angry to see is that we fixed our biggest weakness in this window, lack of quality depth particularly in attack. We signed an attacking/central midfielder who can play with and come in for Pogba and Bruno ( which was a major fear for us, especially as Pogba was unfit for most of last season), two young right wingers ( one coming in January) that can rotate or back up Greenwood, a left back that can replace or rotate with Luke Shaw ( whose injuries mean that this signing gives us insurance there) and a striker who can supplement or compete with Martial, if both give us around 15-20 goals in the season it would match us having a quality striker like Harry Kane at least until Martial becomes that type of striker.

last season our team looked like this most of the time:
De Gea, AWB, Lindelof, Maguire, Shaw, Mctominay, Fred, James, Pereira, Rashford, Martial. With Pogba looking to leave and no real options from the bench.

By the end of today, it will look like this:
DDG, AWB, Lindelof, Maguire, Shaw/Telles, Matic, Pogba ( staying), Greenwood, Bruno, Rashford, Cavani/Martial. With VDB, Henderson, Fred, Mctominay, Traore ( January) off the bench with one of Shaw/Telles and Martial/Cavani joining them. That is a massive improvement.

In addition to that, people need to remember that we purposely chose not to sign a centre back. Not only are there not many world class options available, but Tuanzebe and Mengi have not yet had their opportunities there. The club clearly feel highly about the both of them. We are in a very good position, maybe not at the moment, with the negativity from the transfer window and the start of the season, but once the window closes and all the noise concerning transfers stop....I honestly believe people will actually realise how much progress we have made. The mistake we made in this window was talking up the prospects of signing Sancho, the club really need to stop briefing the press. They clearly react in a toxic way to any move the club does and create the negativity we are seeing in almost every window.

Status
Not open for further replies.