Edouard Mendy | Chelsea player

TheReligion

Abusive
If Giroud leaves and Tammy gets replaced, that leaves us with only Werner as a CF.

It won't happen though, not in a million years. Haaland is nailed on to follow in his dad's footsteps at Man City.
I think City is a good shout especially with Aguero going. I think we'll be in for him too as could coincide with Cavani finishing up.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I think City is a good shout especially with Aguero going. I think we'll be in for him too as could coincide with Cavani finishing up.
I can't see you guys going for him, not with your three young forwards, unless Martial is sold/dropped.

Also he'd never join you lot, not after Keane broke both his dad's knees and killed the family cat.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I think his connection to Leeds may end up working against both of us.

TheReligion

Abusive
I can't see you guys going for him, not with your three young forwards, unless Martial is sold/dropped.

Also he'd never join you lot, not after Keane broke both his dad's knees and killed the family cat.
I think we'll be definitely in for him given the level of talent he is and the connection with Ole.

To be honest what club in Europe won't want to have a go?

TheReligion

Abusive
Wasn't he supposed to be way better than Kepa? I mean that's a pretty low bar but atm it doesn't look like he is that much better either.
He's better than Kepa by a distance. That said in my opinion he's just a stop gap keeper and not truly WC.

But yeah he's a definite improvement on what they had!

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He's better than Kepa by a distance. That said in my opinion he's just a stop gap keeper and not truly WC.

But yeah he's a definite improvement on what they had!
I'm fine with that. In fact it's what I predicted back when we were being linked with him.

Red00012

I think we'll be definitely in for him given the level of talent he is and the connection with Ole.

To be honest what club in Europe won't want to have a go?
This is the Mendy thread , off to the Chelsea thread with you

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Of course he's better then Kepa

The inflatable floppy men you get at used car dealerships would be better then Kepa

Chief123

Is this a joke? He's been excellent. His distribution today was absolutely top notch. He's not to blame for Kante not tracking a runner whilst Christensen lies on the floor like a fanny.

It's also not a coincidence that we are now very good at defending set pieces; he's extremely proactive as opposed to Kepa.
I think having Kepa has probably clouded your judgment a little. Mendy looks average so far. Especially last few games. A number of prem keepers would be a better option than him so far.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I think having Kepa has probably clouded your judgment a little. Mendy looks average so far. Especially last few games. A number of prem keepers would be a better option than him so far.
Nonsense. He's made errors against Leeds and Everton and apart from that he's been excellent this entire season. He's been absolutely blameless for our recent form and if anything has prevented things being worse.

Red00012

He’s better than Kepa yes which wouldn’t be very difficult but I remain sceptical whether he’ll be a top keeper in PL.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Mendy isn't world class yet better than Kepa. Makes you wonder how disastrous the Kepa deal was, Chelsea broke a GK transfer record for him. I remember reading an article (in my local newspaper) about how he was worth every penny and will be the best GK in PL. :lol:

Chief123

Nonsense. He's made errors against Leeds and Everton and apart from that he's been excellent this entire season. He's been absolutely blameless for our recent form and if anything has prevented things being worse.
I’d have to say that’s nonsense. But it’s a game of opinions I guess.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
It's amazing that keepers in essence is being judged on how well they pass the ball. Mendy has been average, yet some fans perceive him as better than De Gea probably. Remarkable.

SAFMUTD

Mendy is better than Donnarumma right now - whether Donnarumma would surpass him once he's 28 is a different discussion.

He's extending with Milan anyhow and frankly I'd prefer to not go near any Raiola clients with the exception of Haaland. Haaland is worth dealing with Raiola, Donnarumma just isn't.
Nobody knew Mandy before Chelsea bought him, I don't think he's performed to a level we can say he's better than Donnaruma.

He's an above average keeper at best, I mean nobody expected more from him I think he's performing according to what was paid for him.

Ludens the Red

He looks okay but nothing more. Still appears to have a howler in him but is an upgrade on Kepa at least.

Stop gap keeper. Would Chelsea not be interested in Donnarumma in January?
Talking about Chelsea again yeah? :)

@Dante sort him out mate. He’s talking about Chelsea again!

eire-red

Keepers are so hard to judge, I mean look at Liverpool's bad luck over the years. Karius and Mingolet looked good for periods, but the mistakes kept mounting.

Mendy looks like he has a howler in him almost every game I see of him (not that many admittedly). He's a strange one, cause he pulled off two top saves against us in the 0-0 draw, but almost passed the ball into his own net that day.

There's just something about him that doesn't fill you with confidence. That being said, even if he keeps Kepa out of the team then that's huge. Hard to pick between Kepa and Pepe in terms of the bigger flop.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
People really must be watching a different game to me when it comes to this guy. He's been good and objectively the numbers back that up.

Also, "I'd never heard of him, he can't have been any good" is a particularly arrogant & dumb thing to say.

Pagh Wraith

He's been good. Slightly above average keeper which puts him miles ahead of Kepa who lest we forget was the worst keeper in the league. Predictably Chelsea's most important transfer by far.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Keepers are so hard to judge, I mean look at Liverpool's bad luck over the years. Karius and Mingolet looked good for periods, but the mistakes kept mounting.

Mendy looks like he has a howler in him almost every game I see of him (not that many admittedly). He's a strange one, cause he pulled off two top saves against us in the 0-0 draw, but almost passed the ball into his own net that day.

There's just something about him that doesn't fill you with confidence. That being said, even if he keeps Kepa out of the team then that's huge. Hard to pick between Kepa and Pepe in terms of the bigger flop.
Karius and Mignolet have always been shit, flappy shot stoppers. Mendy is much better than them. I would agree though that he seems to lose control of his body and think he's playing basketball or something occasionally which looks very clumsy. But, particularly when he first arrived there, he's performed superbly. If the wibblywobblyman mistakes continue though, maybe you'd have to look at Chelsea's GK coaches? Mendy looked absolutely imperious when he first joined.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Karius and Mignolet have always been shit, flappy shot stoppers. Mendy is much better than them. I would agree though that he seems to lose control of his body and think he's playing basketball or something occasionally which looks very clumsy. But, particularly when he first arrived there, he's performed superbly. If the wibblywobblyman mistakes continue though, maybe you'd have to look at Chelsea's GK coaches? Mendy looked absolutely imperious when he first joined.
How much of that was due to the new club bounce though? Some players do start off great and gradually get worse

My take on Mendy is that he's obviously a stop gap signing, more solid than Kepa but won't be good enough long term but then Chelsea knew that when they signed him. I can't imagine they bought him thinking he'll be the answer for the next 5 years

As Chelsea's performances have dipped he's obviously not being as well protected as he was to start off so he's being called into action more, having more to do and so his weaknesses are being exposed more

For the improvement he's made to Chelsea though he could still be considered one of the better keepers so far this season

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Mendy did not look imperious, people just looked at his performances very generously because he was a relative unknown and the contrast to a truly rubbish keeper was so stark. He was doing the basics well and you could put his few questionable moves down to bedding in at a new club, while overlooking the so-so moments.

DRM

Chelsea spunked £70 million on Kepa!! 70 bloody million. And now he's been discarde (granted he's shite). Such a waste of money, I feel this should be talked about more and I'm surprised the media don't bring it up

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's amazing that keepers in essence is being judged on how well they pass the ball. Mendy has been average, yet some fans perceive him as better than De Gea probably. Remarkable.
Unless Mendy totally changed he isn't known for his passing abilities, so I would be very surprised if that's why Chelsea fans rate him. The Mendy I remember is an excellent shot stopper who was below average when it comes to controlling his area and passing the ball but improved on the former to an acceptable level.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Mendy did not look imperious, people just looked at his performances very generously because he was a relative unknown and the contrast to a truly rubbish keeper was so stark. He was doing the basics well and you could put his few questionable moves down to bedding in at a new club, while overlooking the so-so moments.
As the old saying goes, "everyone likes a know all".

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Unless Mendy totally changed he isn't known for his passing abilities, so I would be very surprised if that's why Chelsea fans rate him. The Mendy I remember is an excellent shot stopper who was below average when it comes to controlling his area and passing the ball but improved on the former to an acceptable level.
His passing has been excellent. Against Villa in particular he bypassed their press regularly with low driven diagonals into our fullbacks. Apparently that's been a point of focus for him since joining, especially as the French league doesn't feature pressing to as high a level as others.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
I swear this guy looks really dodgy every time I see him play.

Would be interested to see his stats in the last month or so compared to when he arrived. I remember Jonathan Wilson saying something about every goalkeeper Lampard has coached taking a massive nosedive in their stats.

TheReligion

Abusive
Chelsea spunked £70 million on Kepa!! 70 bloody million. And now he's been discarde (granted he's shite). Such a waste of money, I feel this should be talked about more and I'm surprised the media don't bring it up
£72m

Transfermarkt now has his value at £13m too. At 26 that's a astronomical drop in value.