Gaming eFootball PES 2020 (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Android, iOS)

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Not only that but Noodlehead has been posting scathing reviews full of nitpicks of both FIFA and Pro a few days after release for years now :lol:

Not that I don't agree with some of his gripes but they aren't as game breaking to me as they seem to him. I also noticed how crap the whistle sound is and cpu players not reacting to loose balls every now and again is a bit annoying.
I liked last year's PES except for the dumb AI. The one the year before was probably my favourite football game on the current gen.

With this one it's like they've felt the need to dumb down the AI even more. I can't pass where I want because either the receiving player will refuse to make a run into the space, or they will make the run but then the pass will go to a different player because the AI doesn't recognise where I'm trying to pass the ball.

The shooting and goalkeepers is also just weird. Every shot and every save looks wrong. Its pretty much impossible to score a goal on this game that even vaguely resembles something that might happen in a real game of football.

I scored one robot passing move with Barcelona that was almost satisfying. Other than that it's just booting the ball into the goal like you're firing it out of a rocket launcher over and over.

The thing you see people say appeals to them about PES is that the games and pattern of them feels more like a real game of football. This game is the complete opposite though. There is no pattern to any game other than just being a series of random dumb things happening.

The last game I played I lost because my defender ran head first into the player with the ball and then fell over, then the attacker just booted the ball through his stomach and into the top corner at about 700mph. Every goal I have conceded has been booted into the top corner from the edge of the area at 700mph, with the exception of one which was a 700mph header despite the ball being about 2cm off the floor. It's really disheartening to play as I just want something semi realistic and every 2-3 seconds something is happening that is ruining any chance of the illusion.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
I liked last year's PES except for the dumb AI. The one the year before was probably my favourite football game on the current gen.

With this one it's like they've felt the need to dumb down the AI even more. I can't pass where I want because either the receiving player will refuse to make a run into the space, or they will make the run but then the pass will go to a different player because the AI doesn't recognise where I'm trying to pass the ball.

The shooting and goalkeepers is also just weird. Every shot and every save looks wrong. Its pretty much impossible to score a goal on this game that even vaguely resembles something that might happen in a real game of football.

I scored one robot passing move with Barcelona that was almost satisfying. Other than that it's just booting the ball into the goal like you're firing it out of a rocket launcher over and over.

The thing you see people say appeals to them about PES is that the games and pattern of them feels more like a real game of football. This game is the complete opposite though. There is no pattern to any game other than just being a series of random dumb things happening.

The last game I played I lost because my defender ran head first into the player with the ball and then fell over, then the attacker just booted the ball through his stomach and into the top corner at about 700mph. Every goal I have conceded has been booted into the top corner from the edge of the area at 700mph, with the exception of one which was a 700mph header despite the ball being about 2cm off the floor. It's really disheartening to play as I just want something semi realistic and every 2-3 seconds something is happening that is ruining any chance of the illusion.
I always find with new Pro Evo games there's an adjustment period of about a week, all the timings and reactions you've learned from the previous game is just slightly off. Shooting and passing seems a bit off, im not as good at defending then it all just seems to come together after a while.

The things like the AI and cpu players ball watching will hopefully be fixed in future patches. And that damn referee whistle, it sounds like something from a Sega Megadrive football game.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This thread wouldn't be completely without the annual noodlerant.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
This thread is full of positive reviews and you pick the one disappointing one and use that to decide to not buy the game?
I was being somewhat facetious - but I do wish FIFA would ditch at least one of the two studies to hopefully get a footie game that feels fresh.

I didn't realize Noodle had that reputation though :lol:

Renegade

Dan James still at Swansea apparently. Konami are fecking useless.

EDIT: Not true, just some twitter nonsense.
He looks like trash though.

Do Konami have 5 people that work at their HQ?

SATA

Am i the only one who cannot take penalties in the game? Either my player shoots wide after i take aim or it rolls straight weakly to the goalkeeper. I know we have to press R1 first, then the left stick and then the shoot button depending short or long. But it is just ridiculous my conversion rate

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Am i the only one who cannot take penalties in the game? Either my player shoots wide after i take aim or it rolls straight weakly to the goalkeeper. I know we have to press R1 first, then the left stick and then the shoot button depending short or long. But it is just ridiculous my conversion rate
Try the penalty training tutorials it shows you an aiming target that's usually invisible so you can see what's going on.

They're in the 'kick off' section of the main menu

Gasolin

I will update today and finally try to play online. The gameplay seems identical to the one from last year...

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Dan James still at Swansea apparently. Konami are fecking useless.

EDIT: Not true, just some twitter nonsense.
He has blonde hair and is about 4ft tall though. Do Konami actually know who he is?

Why do players on this game so often control the ball so badly it bounces up and hits them in their own face? I've never seen any player who isn't Phil Jones do this in real life.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He has blonde hair and is about 4ft tall though. Do Konami actually know who he is?
When they were developing the game he was at Swansea, so they probably didn't know who he was. You can edit his looks anyway though right? I now you used to be able to.

Is this any good anyway? I'm considering it. I normally get Fifa but the last few have been glorified squad/kit updates.

He has a rating of about 70 as well and is slow as hell.
Again, they probably didn't know who he was so just gave him random stats. You can edit though, no?

mad1max954

Ok so I was doing ok in the demo and I’m about 4 online games in and lost all of them (this is my first go on pes) bought a new manager 4222 with possession style and all our defence but don’t think it suits me - he was quite expensive too! Seem to be passing it around for the sake of it. Just got done by someone who pressed me all over and as some of my team are a bit shit I just got done.

I got griezmann beloti Rice, and most of the originals.

Any suggestions?

I enjoyed the demo and was doing well with United..

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Played another game and the AI is single digit IQ for movement and receiving passes. My team make literally zero movement at all, it’s so difficult to move up the pitch as then players running next to me just randomly stop and go backwards.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Ok so I was doing ok in the demo and I’m about 4 online games in and lost all of them (this is my first go on pes) bought a new manager 4222 with possession style and all our defence but don’t think it suits me - he was quite expensive too! Seem to be passing it around for the sake of it. Just got done by someone who pressed me all over and as some of my team are a bit shit I just got done.

I got griezmann beloti Rice, and most of the originals.

Any suggestions?

I enjoyed the demo and was doing well with United..
Use the tactical training boosters to raise your team chemistry, if you can get it above 90 you'll notice a real difference in how you play

amolbhatia50k

Given United are a partner team, players like James, Tuanzebe and Gomes should have proper faces.

Art Vandelay

I have an international break coming up in my ML with United followed by Liverpool then City. Which is a bit shit really, especially as I sold a load of players and then couldn't buy replacements because the transfer AI is a bit fecking mental. There were transfer listed players that the club don't want to sell and who don't want to leave, I found it very difficult to buy anyone. Ended up bringing in just Reus, Joao Felix and Sancho. I couldn't get any leftbacks or central midfielders at all, even shit ones I couldn't get clubs to negotiate with me. So now I don't have the squad to deal with the above scenario.

I did cheat a bit, I saw RVP as a free agent so I went in and fixed him a bit. I gave him back his shot power, finishing, attack awareness and control. I left everything else, so he's generally a bit useless but if he gets a chance he can finish like he used to. I then put him in the United squad. He's scored two goals all season, the first of which was a carbon copy of his hattrick goal against Villa oddly enough. It warms my heart to have him back despite him barely being able to run or finish a match.

Kind of annoying that there are no classic players in the ML now. I think I might leave it until they patch some stuff, some of the passing and movement is getting annoying and the refs really need sorting out.

amolbhatia50k

Installing the options file was easy peasy.

However the hard work was in the editing that I personally like to do. First editing stats of players I feel should be rated differently took a shit load of time. Then, editing the teams so that their tactics and team selections are right. Now, I've to repeat this process for La Liga (except player ratings because I don't really know enough).

Once that is done I'll start my first master league save with a mid table la Liga team. If anybody has suggestions let me know. Want a team with a nice kit which isn't a pain to look at.

Art Vandelay

Installing the options file was easy peasy.

However the hard work was in the editing that I personally like to do. First editing stats of players I feel should be rated differently took a shit load of time. Then, editing the teams so that their tactics and team selections are right. Now, I've to repeat this process for La Liga (except player ratings because I don't really know enough).

Once that is done I'll start my first master league save with a mid table la Liga team. If anybody has suggestions let me know. Want a team with a nice kit which isn't a pain to look at.
I spent an hour or so doing that earlier. Giving teams their rivals too, then editing their line ups and making their best headers go forward for corners. So many teams seem to play a 4-5-1.

amolbhatia50k

I spent an hour or so doing that earlier. Giving teams their rivals too, then editing their line ups and making their best headers go forward for corners. So many teams seem to play a 4-5-1.
Nearly 16-17 of the PL are set up to play with a deep defensive line as well which doesn't really happen. I'd recommend everyone to change that. I'll now have to do this for La Liga as well given I'm planning to start with a ML in that league as it'll take time to get used to the new game and that'll ruin my United save.

Any suggestions for ML teams? Who are you going for?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
How are the transfers in ML? Have they fixed it so you don’t see ridiculous transfers?

Can still recall united playing Carrick in goal as they sold all their goalkeepers

mad1max954

Use the tactical training boosters to raise your team chemistry, if you can get it above 90 you'll notice a real difference in how you play
Ok thanks will give it a go. Currently in the low 60’s. Guess it’s an obvious thing now you mention it. I’m just used to FUT

noodlehair

"It's like..."
When they were developing the game he was at Swansea, so they probably didn't know who he was. You can edit his looks anyway though right? I now you used to be able to.

Is this any good anyway? I'm considering it. I normally get Fifa but the last few have been glorified squad/kit updates.
Swansea are in the game as well though, and were last year. So are all the Swansea players just generically produced peope with random stats?

Just seems amazingly lazy. It would take one person one day to sort this out. They could probably even get a couple of random to do for them for free.

amolbhatia50k

How are the transfers in ML? Have they fixed it so you don’t see ridiculous transfers?

Can still recall united playing Carrick in goal as they sold all their goalkeepers
I saw a video showing transfers on medium frequency and other than City sending Jesus on loan there was nothing out of the ordinary, like Liverpool selling 4 key players in one window and teams ending up with 15 man squads.

But I'd like to try it on high frequency as teams werent really spending enoihh on medium.

mancan92

Played another game and the AI is single digit IQ for movement and receiving passes. My team make literally zero movement at all, it’s so difficult to move up the pitch as then players running next to me just randomly stop and go backwards.
Have you spent anytime using tactics? Chelsea have deep defensive line on in advanced tactics by default for example which means players are slow to move up because they are deep.

Also if you want more forward movement increase the attacking mentality of the team to red.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Ok thanks will give it a go. Currently in the low 60’s. Guess it’s an obvious thing now you mention it. I’m just used to FUT
Yeah it's just a case of finding out all the little differences, your manager has boosters to use as well you can use them in the squad selection menu, its either square or triangle to bring up the team menu where you use the team chemistry boosters and then put the cursor on the manager and its the same button to go into his menu.

mancan92

I'd advise anyone semi new to the game to avoid myclub completely at first until you really know how to play. It is a mode with alot of background scripting with team spirit stats etc so unless you know how to play your gonna struggle badly because theres alot of hardened PES players online who know all the ins and outs and you can easily be left thinking the game is broken. So start offline on low difficulties and work your way up.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I was having this problem as well. Stand there waiting for a player to run forwards into the space and they just sit there like a melon. Sometimes half way through an attack one of the players involved just randomly stops and starts running back up the pitch.

There's a lot of stuff that needs sorting out here.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
I'd advise anyone semi new to the game to avoid myclub completely at first until you really know how to play. It is a mode with alot of background scripting with team spirit stats etc so unless you know how to play your gonna struggle badly because theres alot of hardened PES players online who know all the ins and outs and you can easily be left thinking the game is broken. So start offline on low difficulties and work your way up.
This is good advice.

If online is what you really want there are also other online competitions to play in in the eFootball section where you just play as normal clubs with none of the team spirit stuff. just straight up player vs player and Co-op games

Moonwalker

There are half a dozen different thins you can do about attacking movement if you're not satisfied with it.

Wing rotation (tactics, advanced) is something I've been using all the time, especially against better players. It makes players run to the position on the wing to always give you a passing option on there. Of course this will include the striker so you might have trouble crossing to the box because it will be empty, but that's the trade-off.

If you put your attacking level on the highest notch (5th, red) even your defenders will play with reckless abandon, the goal keeper will come up on corners, and centre backs will play as target men. Lack of movement will be the least of your problems at that point.

"Flexible" rather than "maintain formation" is advisable in the attacking tactical setup too.

Tiki taka will give you a passing option at all times, but the players tire much quicker and it isn't necessarily always running forward.

Last but not least you might wanna use a "fluid formation", which to all you dinosaurs who are still playing master league, is at least trivially easy to set up (whereas in myclub it's restricted). You set the position of your strikers to be much higher in the with the ball iteration of the tactics, than it is without the ball, or make your midfielders join attack in that way. You might even want to make your wingers swap sides , which will really make them run relentlessly. The trade off here is obviously that they will tire much quicker.

I have a suspicion people didn't try all that before moaning.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Have you spent anytime using tactics? Chelsea have deep defensive line on in advanced tactics by default for example which means players are slow to move up because they are deep.

Also if you want more forward movement increase the attacking mentality of the team to red.
A little but I’m playing myclub. There is being slow to move up and then there is literally standing still or going backwards. I’m a big fan of PES but there’s lots of flaws this year, hopefully get some patched quickly.

mancan92

A little but I’m playing myclub. There is being slow to move up and then there is literally standing still or going backwards. I’m a big fan of PES but there’s lots of flaws this year, hopefully get some patched quickly.
That is half your problem myclub is not the base game its like FUT but on drugs. Team spirit, manager compatibility, player compatibility etc these all play hugely into how the game plays players won't run, they will move out of position, miss the ball, be low on form etc all because of these things. In Myclub you start with awful players who have terrible stats, added the myclub scripting its a grind so dont base the actual gameplay on that. I would recommend another mode until you know the game enough to grind. The thing about myclub though is once you start picking up 2/3 good players who start to jel you really appreciate it and at that point things start to click and you can really enjoy the mode.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
That is half your problem myclub is not the base game its like FUT but on drugs. Team spirit, manager compatibility, player compatibility etc these all play hugely into how the game plays players won't run, they will move out of position, miss the ball, be low on form etc all because of these things. In Myclub you start with awful players who have terrible stats, added the myclub scripting its a grind so dont base the actual gameplay on that. I would recommend another mode until you know the game enough to grind. The thing about myclub though is once you start picking up 2/3 good players who start to jel you really appreciate it and at that point things start to click and you can really enjoy the mode.
If it's fecked up like FUT is I won't be playing myclub again then. Will stick to playing normal game modes then and see how I get on, cheers.

mancan92

If it's fecked up like FUT is I won't be playing myclub again then. Will stick to playing normal game modes then and see how I get on, cheers.
Yeah mate its even worse than FUT because pes has soo many variables generally anyway adding the team spirit, player compatibility and manager stuff makes a it a very different proposition.

Try online divisions and see how that goes. But also remember to check players form arrows. In PES form arrows make a huge different in player ability for example if Messi is the lowest form and someone like iwobi is the highest for then I would start Iwobi thats how big a swing it is.