Elon Musk | Owner of X

WPMUFC

Must admit, I overlooked that part. Fair point.
It's a tired meme that "the woke progressives" have left everyone behind. But it's a pretty normalised in online discourse. No shame and sorry if I came across guns blazing, Elon is the twat. :lol: :)

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
All this goes back to when Trump was bitching about free speech and saying he wanted similar laws to the UK regarding free speech etc.

They really dont want that at all. Trump would be fecked in a week.

Free Speech is something many Americans claim to love, yet in truth have absolutely no concept of what it really means and ultimately don't agree with.

WPMUFC

Hasn't the right in the US become more extreme too? Or did he miss the Trump presidency?

Comes across as someone who isn't able to be honest about his political leanings.
The left has barely moved on the spectrum. The right has veered off into fecking crazy world. At best he's being dishonest. More likely he's throwing red meat for a specific target audience

Revan

Assumptionman
The left has barely moved on the spectrum. The right has veered off into fecking crazy world. At best he's being dishonest. More likely he's throwing red meat for a specific target audience
I would argue that both have massively moved towards their extremes.

WPMUFC

I would argue that both have massively moved towards their extremes.
In what sense? The political representation of the right in the USA is now firmly entrenched in autocracy and rejection of elections? What is the left's representation in politics? Tax the rich, universal healthcare and public programs?? Wow. What a shift.

Revan

Assumptionman
In what sense? The political representation of the right in the USA is now firmly entrenched in autocracy and rejection of elections? What is the left's representation in politics? Tax the rich, universal healthcare and public programs?? Wow. What a shift.
Political correctness, defunding the police, open border policy, for example, have been themes from some part of the left wing people, which I do not remember being the case 15 years ago.

Also in general spouting nonsense plans which are not based on reality.

There is also the case that a borderline commie who chats shit almost won the Democrat nomination twice.

Mike Smalling

Political correctness, defunding the police, open border policy, for example, have been themes from some part of the left wing people, which I do not remember being the case 15 years ago.

There is also the case that a borderline commie who chats shit almost won the Democrat nomination twice.
This just goes to show how effective the right wing is in communicating falsehoods about Democratic policies.

WPMUFC

I mean if you put "political correctness" as the left wing counter to right wing autocracy. We don't have anything more to discuss. That interpretation of a left right spectrum is just laughably right wing heavy it make Sanders look centre right

cafecillos

Not to mention that one "extreme" is mostly represented by a bunch of mostly irrelevant twitter users whereas the other held the presidency of the USA and is still the strongest faction in the GOP.

WPMUFC

Not to mention that one "extreme" is mostly represented by a bunch of mostly irrelevant twitter users whereas the other held the presidency of the USA and is still the strongest faction in the GOP.
Hence why I couched my example in "political representation" because a general examination of a left right spectrum is so broad that you would inevitably include left wing tankies of Twitter and full on nazis from the right. Elons example is so skewed that it I can only assume troll or fishing for approval from the people he knows that's targeted to.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Hasn't the right in the US become more extreme too? Or did he miss the Trump presidency?

Comes across as someone who isn't able to be honest about his political leanings.
Tbf that’s what his silly graph shows. Both sides have got equally more extreme and he himself has got more right wing.

I’m not sure that’s what he thinks it shows but there you go.

Tarrou

the factions of the left that have moved to the extremes have not exactly infiltrated the Democratic party though, have they?

Sleepy Joe is as centre right as they come

if anything the party has shifted right since 2008

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
His graph shows a 2008 conservative as far right as a 2021 conservative. So essentially the graphic is only moving to the extreme left. Hence the stupidity of it.
It doesn’t though. Right and left have drifted an equal distance from the centre. By fixing the right hand side and moving out the left it gives the mistaken impression that the left has moved further from the centre than the right. But that’s not what the graph actually shows. It’s kind of an accidental optical illusion for stupid people.

Mike Smalling

It doesn’t though. Right and left have drifted an equal distance from the centre. By fixing the right hand side and moving out the left it gives the mistaken impression that the left has moved further from the centre than the right. But that’s not what the graph actually shows. It’s kind of an accidental optical illusion for stupid people.
Come on now. What it shows is that the left has moved further left, while the right has stayed the same. The center is just the middle point, so the only reason the right is further from center in his illustration, is that the left has moved to the extreme. If the left and right had moved equally to their extremes in this illustration, cartoon Elon would stay left of center.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Come on now. What it shows is that the left has moved further left, while the right has stayed the same. The center is just the middle point, so the only reason the right is further from center in his illustration, is that the left has moved to the extreme. If the left and right had moved equally to their extremes in this illustration, cartoon Elon would stay left of center.
Assuming his political opinions haven’t changed that’s exactly where he should have stayed. As I said, the graph shows him becoming more right wing while the left and right become equally more extreme.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Surely the graphs main point is to show that Elon has stayed exactly the same, but the rise of the evil left have forced him to be perceived as right wing now, by pulling the centre away, toward them?

its the classic middle aged faux liberal “it’s not me, it’s the children who are wrong” attitude to social change

This is your brain on Star Wars

Mike Smalling

Assuming his political opinions haven’t changed that’s exactly where he should have stayed. As I said, the graph shows him becoming more right wing while the left and right become equally more extreme.
He clearly wants to communicate that the left has gone extreme, himself and the right has stayed the same, so now he is perceived as right of center. It really is that simple.

If he wanted to tell the story that both sides have gone more extreme, and he himself has moved to the right he would have done so by having the center in the middle in all three years.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Surely the graphs main point is to show that Elon has stayed exactly the same, but the rise of the evil left have forced him to be perceived as right wing now, by pulling the centre away, toward them?

its the classic middle aged faux liberal “it’s not me, it’s the children who are wrong” attitude to social change
He clearly wants to communicate that the left has gone extreme, himself and the right has stayed the same, so now he is perceived as right of center. It really is that simple.

If he wanted to tell the story that both sides have gone more extreme, and he himself has moved to the right he would have done so by having the center in the middle in all three years.
I know what he’s trying to say. Just find it funny that the nerds favourite polymath chose to make his point in such an obviously incorrect way. Because the centre is in the middle in all three years. That’s what the graph shows. If his average “fellow liberal” goes all radically left wing that doesn’t necessarily mean the political centre also shifts.

big rons sovereign

Twitter is feckin garbage.

"Here's a thread 1/30" feck off and just write it on a blog, a forum or somewhere which lets you write an essay.
I dunno man, this week in Tory are excellent threads.
Others descend into utter carnage and are pure entertainment.
But yeah, some are just some whiny twatbag spouting utter cack and only their friends read em.

Lemoor

How else would you define the political centre? It isn’t immutable
Political centre from 1960s USA is obviously different to the one today and I'm not sure if standing close to it should be some sort of source of pride for Musk.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
How else would you define the political centre? It isn’t immutable
Hmmm… This is getting worryingly close to me getting pwned by Elon…

Although I do think my interpretation of the graph is what actually happened. Left and right getting equally polarised with Musk drifting to the right, rather than any sands shifting beneath his feet. Does anyone really think the political centre is more left wing now than it was in 2008? I reckon it’s exactly the same.

marktan

It's also the case that those on the left and right won't be cognisant of the fact that the left or right has changed, purely because they feel strongly that their stance is the right one and as such any changes don't really feel like actual change. For instance someone on the left may see a wealth tax or more liberal views on sexuality as a natural progression, whereas likewise someone on the right may view things like storming the capital as a perfectly acceptable expression of freedom.

In general I find people will believe whatever bullshit they believe in is correct and tell themselves all sorts of lies to believe so, because people seek comfort from the anxiety of not being correct. It's much easier to believe some crap is correct than confront the anxiety that you might be wrong.

On Musk, rich guy in having right leaning views shocker. What's funny is that he's trying to portray himself as having once been on the left, I doubt he's done anything for anyone but himself in his whole life.

phelans shorts

Hmmm… This is getting worryingly close to me getting pwned by Elon…

Although I do think my interpretation of the graph is what actually happened. Left and right getting equally polarised with Musk drifting to the right, rather than any sands shifting beneath his feet. Does anyone really think the political centre is more left wing now than it was in 2008? I reckon it’s exactly the same.
I’d definitely say the political centre is more to the right now than in 2008, with stuff like brexit over in Europe, with the storming of the capitol building over in the States and all of that guff. As alluded to up the page, nobody equal to a Johnson or a Trump on the left has gotten particularly close to challenging in any major western election that I can think of, Corbyn in 2017 probably being the closest?

Hell you see “fellow liberals” like Elon mentions talking about Joe Biden as this crazily left wing extremist at times, that man would 100% be a right wing politician in Europe, or at best a Tony Blair like figure.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Twitter is feckin garbage.

"Here's a thread 1/30" feck off and just write it on a blog, a forum or somewhere which lets you write an essay.
Exactly what I've been saying, hope Musk sorts this out. This twitter thing could be a good trial for him taking over United.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I’d definitely say the political centre is more to the right now than in 2008, with stuff like brexit over in Europe, with the storming of the capitol building over in the States and all of that guff. As alluded to up the page, nobody equal to a Johnson or a Trump on the left has gotten particularly close to challenging in any major western election that I can think of, Corbyn in 2017 probably being the closest?

Hell you see “fellow liberals” like Elon mentions talking about Joe Biden as this crazily left wing extremist at times, that man would 100% be a right wing politician in Europe, or at best a Tony Blair like figure.
The American centre has always been to the right. Hell, the American left is arguably to the right!

Hard to know what’s going on in the UK. You definitely wouldn’t see Brexit happening in the days of new Labour but we’re now being told that was never a left wing party. So feck knows really.

Lemoor

It really depends which issues you choose to analyze. In 2008 for example in US public there was around 50-50 divide on whether humans are responsible for global warming at all and 55-40 divide saying that same-sex marriage shouldn't have equal status. It's not some sort of period of perfect political thought that we've only gone downhill from.

Revan

Assumptionman
It's also the case that those on the left and right won't be cognisant of the fact that the left or right has changed, purely because they feel strongly that their stance is the right one and as such any changes don't really feel like actual change. For instance someone on the left may see a wealth tax or more liberal views on sexuality as a natural progression, whereas likewise someone on the right may view things like storming the capital as a perfectly acceptable expression of freedom.

In general I find people will believe whatever bullshit they believe in is correct and tell themselves all sorts of lies to believe so, because people seek comfort from the anxiety of not being correct. It's much easier to believe some crap is correct than confront the anxiety that you might be wrong.

On Musk, rich guy in having right leaning views shocker. What's funny is that he's trying to portray himself as having once been on the left, I doubt he's done anything for anyone but himself in his whole life.
Well, he was the biggest donor to charities last year. Also, the biggest taxpayer.

Calling Musk right-wing is pretty nuts. Two of his biggest policies have been with regard to climate change (understandably considering Tesla's business) and universal basic income. Both of them being left-wing policies. He has also donated significantly more to Democrats than Republicans, although left-wing people got annoyed that he contributes to Republicans (albeit less than to Democrats).

SirAF

Ageist
Well, he was the biggest donor to charities last year. Also, the biggest taxpayer.

Calling Musk right-wing is pretty nuts. Two of his biggest policies have been with regard to climate change (understandably considering Tesla's business) and universal basic income. Both of them being left-wing policies. He has also donated significantly more to Democrats than Republicans, although left-wing people got annoyed that he contributes to Republicans (albeit less than to Democrats).
He might not be a full blown right winger, but he definitely flirts with the far right and really appeal to them.

Revan

Assumptionman
Who hates unions, public transport and copypastes most of the idiotic right-wing culture war and covid hot takes.
Who wants universal basic income to be implemented ASAP, is doing more about climate change than any other person, urges the government to implement carbon taxes, and is a promoter of direct democracy. Didn't he also advocate for an inclusive tax of 40% and estate taxes?

The issue with left-wing people like you is that whoever is not 100% aligned with their view is by default a bigot right-wing extremist.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
He is a left-leaning centrist IMO.
He's a literal billionaire ffs. How the feck can a billionaire be left leaning?

feck me, how has the world become so right wing?