Emmanuel Macron

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We saw the bat signal, actually featuring slicked back hair and an hermès tie, and quickly rushed to the defense of our oppressed kind.
:lol: I almost went the banking way but in insight I would have strangled someone at some point.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
So as an investment banker myself, I should just presume that all that are not (so most of you) are more moral than me without knowing anything about their lives and vice-versa?
Yes.

Yes.

Nah not really.

Blodssvik

Seems like a neoliberal who wants a deregulated labour market and financial markets, tax cuts, decrease in government spending etc. Like what you'd expect from a banker.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Seems like a neoliberal who wants a deregulated labour market and financial markets, tax cuts, decrease in government spending etc. Like what you'd expect from a banker.
Some of those are standard policies for most non-authoritarian politicians.

Blodssvik

Scandinavian countries have more financial and labour market regulations and we pay much higher taxes than in Russia. Guess we are the real authoritarian bad guys.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Scandinavian countries have more financial and labour market regulations and we pay much higher taxes than in Russia. Guess we are the real authoritarian bad guys.
Have they also recently invaded their neighbors and stolen their land ?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
And Macron is apparently for a Scandinavian model.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
My guess is Macron, Merkel etc probably feel a bit more confident after the latest rounds of elections. The populist surge in Europe has largely fallen flat a bit; Hofer lost, Wilders came nowhere near first place after being predicted to do so, and Le Pen was firmly trounced. With the AfD doing little more than UKIP even managed in the UK, the pro-EU types like Merkel and Macron presumably aren't too worried about division for the time being and will want to stand firm against Russia.

Still wary of getting too keen about Macron though; he may still struggle to get through a lot of his planned reforms. Certainly much better than Hollande, at least in presentation.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
My guess is Macron, Merkel etc probably feel a bit more confident after the latest rounds of elections. The populist surge in Europe has largely fallen flat a bit; Hofer lost, Wilders came nowhere near first place after being predicted to do so, and Le Pen was firmly trounced. With the AfD doing little more than UKIP even managed in the UK, the pro-EU types like Merkel and Macron presumably aren't too worried about division for the time being and will want to stand firm against Russia.

Still wary of getting too keen about Macron though; he may still struggle to get through a lot of his planned reforms. Certainly much better than Hollande, at least in presentation.
Having ruled out.working.with Wilders,.the dutxh are unable to form a coalition and may go back to another GE. ignoring people opinion is not always smart?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Having ruled out.working.with Wilders,.the dutxh are unable to form a coalition and may go back to another GE. ignoring people opinion is not always smart?
That's more down to the fact Dutch politics has about 27 parties or something. Wilders still did quite shite compared to what was expected, which is a relief to those who oppose populism I'd argue.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It's a sad state of affairs when a former investment banker is supposedly the saviour of the world, if this was 9 years ago Macron wouldn't even have gotten close to power. Macron is just another villain battling other villains, there are no heroes.
What the feck is wrong with being an investment banker?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
What the feck is wrong with being an investment banker?
Nothing wrong with it but it's typically the position of someone who is upper middle class and only cares about the acquisition of wealth. Macron is also someone who comes from a relatively privileged background, so one has to ask how much does he really care about those at the bottom of society. Not to get too off the topic at hand, we are praising him for standing up to Trump and Putin but who's interest does he work in, France and Europe or for those he ties with in his previous career?

I will also add that my view of investment bankers has been formed by movies, TV shows and the financial crisis. When I think of an investment banker I think of Patrick Bateman. Of course, like all stereotypes they don't represent the whole group

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Nothing wrong with it but it's typically the position of someone who is upper middle class and only cares about the acquisition of wealth. Macron is also someone who comes from a relatively privileged background, so one has to ask how much does he really care about those at the bottom of society. Not to get too off the topic at hand, we are praising him for standing up to Trump and Putin but who's interest does he work in, France and Europe or for those he ties with in his previous career?
There are people from privileged background that care about people less well off.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Coming from a well to do background is not a disqualifying characteristic or even one that should evoke any sort of suspicion. Ultimately, one can't choose who their parents are or the circumstances of how they grew up. You can only look at their actions and policy positions and go from there.

Charlie Foley

I will also add that my view of investment bankers has been formed by movies, TV shows and the financial crisis. When I think of an investment banker I think of Patrick Bateman. Of course, like all stereotypes they don't represent the whole group

:lol::lol::lol: Patrick Bateman :lol:

Also-surely the financial crisis should be the only thing of those 3 influencing you REALLY. Not a Christian Bale movie!

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
:lol::lol::lol: Patrick Bateman :lol:

Also-surely the financial crisis should be the only thing of those 3 influencing you REALLY. Not a Christian Bale movie!
Well not just American Psycho but I believe that many of our perceptions are now shaped by TV, particularly with groups we are not in direct contact with. It's not something I really feel too bad about because investment bankers aren't some oppressed minority.

TheCorkman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Accountants and lawyers have done far more immoral and unethical (as well as illegal) dealings in the past than bankers. The banking system is flawed, and there are some bad characters in the profession, like in any profession. Most of the lads I've known in IB and trading grew up in regular Irish backgrounds. Common denominator is usually a strong work ethic and excellent academics. Probably a different story in the UK and US however, but most people still get top positions through talent and perseverance.

Regardless, France needs labor and industrial reforms, or else faces further economic problems in future. A fresh face is needed to implement them. There's a difference between progressing the economy in a fair manner, and fecking over the weakest members of society. People assume the latter. On Macron, most of his speeches and actions thus far have been impressive. Expectations are high, but if his general vision progresses, then Europe and France will be in a much better position in the future.

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football

Have you thought about basing your expectations for Macron on what he as a politician (advisor to Hollande, minister in Holland cabinet, campaiging politician) has said, done or attempted to get done?

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
That's more down to the fact Dutch politics has about 27 parties or something. Wilders still did quite shite compared to what was expected, which is a relief to those who oppose populism I'd argue.
2nd largest party ignored. Coalition of 2 could become 5. We know how akward a coalition of 27 can be already.

Varun

Staff
First Mbappe and now him. fecking French have the best of every world.