[B]Pos.	Name		Score	World Cup	Continental[/B]
1.	Spain		16.1	[COLOR="Blue"]Winner[/COLOR]		[COLOR="blue"]Winner[/COLOR]
2.	Germany		14.7	[COLOR="Green"]3rd[/COLOR]		[COLOR="Green"]Semi Final[/COLOR]
3.	England		12.9	Last 16		Quarter Final
4.	Uruaguy		12.3	[COLOR="Green"]4th[/COLOR]		[COLOR="Blue"]Winner[/COLOR]
5.	Portugal	12.1	Last 16		[COLOR="Green"]Semi Final[/COLOR]
6.	Italy		11.9	Group (4th)	[COLOR="Red"]Runner Up[/COLOR]
7.	Argentina	11.0	Quarter Final	Quarter Final
8.	Netherlands	10.5	[COLOR="Red"]Runner Up[/COLOR]	Group (4th)
9.	Croatia		10.5	DNQ		Group (3rd)
10.	Denmark		10.2	Group (3rd)	Group (3rd)
11.	Russia		10.2	DNQ		Group (3rd)
12.	Greece		10.0	Group (3rd)	Quarter Final

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
England are down 3 places. Now 7th.
Ireland are up 1. At 39.
Wales took a massive jump and are now 49th.
Northern Ireland took an equally big jump but they went down.
Scotland went down 11 places and are 77th.

Iceland are now (for the first time) better than Scotland because we went up 19 places and sit in number 73.

http://www.fifa.com/worldranking/rankingtable/index.html

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Brazil 19th? Is that largely influenced because they arent taking part in the WC qualifiers, or have they fallen that far from grace?

And how on earth have Croatia risen to 4th?? Didn't qualify for the last WC, knocked out in the group stage at the Euros, doing well in these qualifiers but nothing extraordinary.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Brazil 19th? Is that largely influenced because they arent taking part in the WC qualifiers, or have they fallen that far from grace?

And how on earth have Croatia risen to 4th?? Didn't qualify for the last WC, knocked out in the group stage at the Euros, doing well in these qualifiers but nothing extraordinary.
I think they just make them up tbh.

Portugal in 5th, up 2? I thought they were struggling to get out of their group.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
The basic logic of these calculations is simple: any team that does well in world football wins points which enable it to climb the world ranking.

A team’s total number of points over a four-year period is determined by adding:

· the average number of points gained from matches during the past 12 months;
and

· the average number of points gained from matches older than 12 months (depreciates yearly).

Calculation of points for a single match

The number of points that can be won in a match depends on the following factors:

• Was the match won or drawn? (M)

• How important was the match (ranging from a friendly match to a FIFA World Cup™ match)? (I)

• How strong was the opposing team in terms of ranking position and the confederation to which they belong? (T and C)

These factors are brought together in the following formula to ascertain the total number of points (P).

P = M x I x T x C

The following criteria apply to the calculation of points:

M: Points for match result

Teams gain 3 points for a victory, 1 point for a draw and 0 points for a defeat. In a penalty shoot-out, the winning team gains 2 points and the losing team gains 1 point.

I: Importance of match

Friendly match (including small competitions): I = 1.0

FIFA World Cup™ qualifier or confederation-level qualifier: I = 2.5

Confederation-level final competition or FIFA Confederations Cup: I = 3.0

FIFA World Cup™ final competition: I = 4.0

T: Strength of opposing team

The strength of the opponents is based on the formula: 200 – the ranking position of the opponents
As an exception to this formula, the team at the top of the ranking is always assigned the value 200 and the teams ranked 150th and below are assigned a minimum value of 50. The ranking position is taken from the opponents’ ranking in the most recently published FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking.

C: Strength of confederation

When calculating matches between teams from different confederations, the mean value of the confederations to which the two competing teams belong is used. The strength of a confederation is calculated on the basis of the number of victories by that confederation at the last three FIFA World Cup™ competitions (see following page). Their values are as follows:

UEFA/CONMEBOL 1.00 CONCACAF 0.88
AFC/CAF 0.86 OFC 0.85
http://www.fifa.com/worldranking/procedureandschedule/menprocedure/index.html

The European teams carry a greater weighting & the strength of the teams in your group also has an effect, thus England have a weak group so they are bound to drop down the rankings.

Ryan's Beard

Probably doesn't have a career as a comedian
I think they just make them up tbh.

Portugal in 5th, up 2? I thought they were struggling to get out of their group.
Why do they even bother with these shite rankings we can all tell qualitatively by looking at teams (and their results) how good they are.

Red For Ever

England are down 3 places. Now 7th.
Ireland are up 1. At 39.
Wales took a massive jump and are now 49th.
Northern Ireland took an equally big jump but they went down.
Scotland went down 11 places and are 77th.

Iceland are now (for the first time) better than Scotland because we went up 19 places and sit in number 73.

http://www.fifa.com/worldranking/rankingtable/index.html

Þú ert að grínast

Ryan's Beard

Probably doesn't have a career as a comedian
I've posted the details above ^^
Yeh just saw. I knew there was a pretty rigorous formula for the result but I still don't understand why it's needed (well no I do to an extent for seeding etc) but why must it be published and more importantly why must it be so, very clearly, flawed.

There's an argument that says you can't argue with statistics/equations but that only holds if those methods are correct and quite obviously FIFA's efforts aren't working. Brazil 19th? Which Brazil is that then?

Not having a go at you for posting them, mind, I just don't see what FIFA think they're doing with this clusterfeck of "rankings".

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Yeh just saw. I knew there was a pretty rigorous formula for the result but I still don't understand why it's needed (well no I do to an extent for seeding etc) but why must it be published and more importantly why must it be so, very clearly, flawed.

There's an argument that says you can't argue with statistics/equations but that only holds if those methods are correct and quite obviously FIFA's efforts aren't working. Brazil 19th? Which Brazil is that then?

Not having a go at you for posting them, mind, I just don't see what FIFA think they're doing with this clusterfeck of "rankings".
I just posted them so that people can see what it's all about, but it's clearly bollocks because there are too many subjective weightings.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
feck sake, every time this gets bumped we get people who don't understand them, having a go at them!

Yeah Croatia is a weird one. You're wrong about these qualifiers though, Croatia are doing amazingly! Going in backwards order: 16/18 points in the qualifying campaign, a win and a draw at the Euros, a win and a draw in the playoffs, 22/30 points at the Euro Qualifying...

I's just the last World Cup that is the big black mark on their results. However a result 4 years ago only counts 1/5th of the amount of a result that happens in the last 12 months.

rcoobc

If England don't qualify for the next World Cup then we are going to hurtle out of the seeded nations.

2010 qualifying we dropped 3 points.
2010 World Cup we got 1 win and 2 draws.
2012 qualifying we dropped 6 points.
2012 Euros we got 2 wins and 2 draws.
2014 qualifying we've dropped 6 points so far!

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
To be honest, leaving Brazil aside (one off obvious reasons for them to drop like a stone), and so long as you don't get too picky about relative positions across federations, it's a good indicator for form.

Uruguay was at the top on the back of a 4th WC place and Copa America win, now qualification is at risk as we couldn't beat San Marino these days. 17th is generous but overall being ranked way behind Argentina, Colombia and Ecuador is spot on. They are on fire.

Same goes for Croatia.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Disappointed that we're only 21st. Having recently taken the piss out of Greece (who is somehow 13th) in the game against them, and being comfortably on top of our qualifying group, having the most goals scored behind England, Germany and Netherlands (although we have a game in hand), I would think that Bosnia would have went up more then 2 spots.

rcoobc

It's interesting that there are so few UEFA nations winning practically every game this term. However widening the net a bit;

The 2010 World Cup Qualifying had England, Spain, Netherlands and Germany dropping less than 4.5 points.

The 2012 Euro Qualifying had Spain, Netherlands, Italy and Germany who dropped less than 4.5 points.

So far 2014 has Belgium, Croatia, Italy, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Russia, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Spain have dropped less than 4.5 points. Probably will even out by the end.

Swaters16

Off topic - Australia has plummeted further down the list. We were 24th at the 2010 world cup. We are now 46th. Good job Holger. How about you get out now because we are all sick of your shit.

More on topic, for once the FIFA rankings got something right: Australia is worse than they have been in a long time.
Brazil in 19th is ridiculous though, common sense should probably prevail here. We all know that Brazil is not 19th in the world.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Brazil in 19th is ridiculous though, common sense should probably prevail here. We all know that Brazil is not 19th in the world.
The ranking values qualifying and tournament games higher than friendlies. The home nation for the next world cup always drops because they don't have to qualify and only play friendlies. Brazil haven't played a competitive game since the copa in 2011 and they were pretty shit in that tournament. Same happened to germany in 2005, they dropped down to 21. Don't think there's a way to improve that, because it totally makes sense to value qualifiers more than friendlies and you can't make up a fantasy number. Brazil will climb again if they do well at the confederations cup in June.

Mad Winger

The FIFA rankings have always been complete bollocks. Before the World Cup Qualifiers started, one of the shittiest Norwegian sides ever was ranked 11 because of a couple of decent results. It's madness.

And right now, Japan is ranked 29. They should at least be well within the top 20, and arguably top 15. I know that there has to be some "fair" mathematical system to conclude the rankings, but teams like Japan always suffer from this because they mainly have to play against crappy nations, bar the occasional friendly. The current team is pretty much the exact same team that beat Argentina, France and Paraguay(when they were good). Actually, the current team is stronger, seeing as Kagawa plays a more important role now, and Yoshida has experience from the PL.

Can a mathematical genius in here try to calculate what exactly will happen if an Asian team wins the World Cup and then goes 2-3 years only playing against other low-ranked Asian nations? Would they then drop down to 30th place, despite having the exact same team that won the World Cup? I'm curious, because of this is the case, then it's obvious that the current system is bound to fail, should a nation like Japan start to do increasingly well in the WC, which seems to be inevitable.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Off topic - Australia has plummeted further down the list. We were 24th at the 2010 world cup. We are now 46th. Good job Holger. How about you get out now because we are all sick of your shit.

More on topic, for once the FIFA rankings got something right: Australia is worse than they have been in a long time.
Australia's national team is a depressing state of affairs. Not just shit, but boring as all hell too.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
The FIFA rankings have always been complete bollocks. Before the World Cup Qualifiers started, one of the shittiest Norwegian sides ever was ranked 11 because of a couple of decent results. It's madness.

And right now, Japan is ranked 29. They should at least be well within the top 20, and arguably top 15. I know that there has to be some "fair" mathematical system to conclude the rankings, but teams like Japan always suffer from this because they mainly have to play against crappy nations, bar the occasional friendly. The current team is pretty much the exact same team that beat Argentina, France and Paraguay(when they were good). Actually, the current team is stronger, seeing as Kagawa plays a more important role now, and Yoshida has experience from the PL.

Can a mathematical genius in here try to calculate what exactly will happen if an Asian team wins the World Cup and then goes 2-3 years only playing against other low-ranked Asian nations? Would they then drop down to 30th place, despite having the exact same team that won the World Cup? I'm curious, because of this is the case, then it's obvious that the current system is bound to fail, should a nation like Japan start to do increasingly well in the WC, which seems to be inevitable.
It's more complicated than that. Even though they win the WC they could amass less points than the team they beat. You don't get bonus points for winning the competition.

I reckon it's next to impossble for an Asian team to reach the top. No team in Europe can play consistently well.

rcoobc

I think the caf would be happier if they decided the rankings. Not based on any actual results mind.

The France vs Greece issue being the prime example of this.

rcoobc

But.. But.. But.. the ranking system is stupid and wrong? Just because England arent winning any competitive matches against decent teams!..

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I do not think anybody could argue with that either. 15th is quite rightly where we belong at present.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
So, Bosnia is one place ahead of England.

I am Bosnian, but it's sad to see how shit England NT is.

We have good team, and we are doing great in qualifiers and all that, but our domestic league is one of the worst in the Europe, we practicaly have maximum 15 good players who we can count on(while you have 10 good players in single club), and none of them are from our domestic league, and we are still placed better than you.

rcoobc

So, Bosnia is one place ahead of England.

I am Bosnian, but it's sad to see how shit England NT is.

We have good team, and we are doing great in qualifiers and all that, but our domestic league is one of the worst in the Europe, we practicaly have maximum 15 good players who we can count on(while you have 10 good players in single club), and none of them are from our domestic league, and we are still placed better than you.
This post/type of thing should get picked up by the media. England 100% deserve to be where they are. We may have beaten Brazil and Spain in friendlies, but our recent competitive record is shite, and we've been losing/drawing friendlies too.

Nogbadthebad

I do not think anybody could argue with that either. 15th is quite rightly where we belong at present.

I think its a bit optimistic to be honest , when roy has all players fit and hes got the lampard/gerrard combo going on again, with big man ensconced in the back four, and milner/walcott on the wings, I'd say top 20 is overly generous.

rcoobc

I think its a bit optimistic to be honest , when roy has all players fit and hes got the lampard/gerrard combo going on again, with big man ensconced in the back four, and milner/walcott on the wings, I'd say top 20 is overly generous.
:lol: Very good