England are the fourth best team in the world....Officially!!! | Now 15th

Moriarty

Don't pay too much attention to world rankings myself. I've got them on a par with the mindless "stats" that commentators prattle on about during a particularly boring passage of play. Why the feck we felt the need to import stuff like "assists" and the like from American sports is beyond me.

surf

The rankings are important because they determine seedings for the world cup next year (assuming we get there, of course).

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
The rankings are important because they determine seedings for the world cup next year (assuming we get there, of course).
Being outside the top 8 will guarantee England at least one tricky fixture. Slipping any more and they could be in danger of being 3rd seed

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Asian and African teams have recently been playing more games so naturally they are moving more up or down in the rankings as of late.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
Don't pay too much attention to world rankings myself. I've got them on a par with the mindless "stats" that commentators prattle on about during a particularly boring passage of play. Why the feck we felt the need to import stuff like "assists" and the like from American sports is beyond me.
Rankings are nothing more than grist for pub talk, but stats can be useful for gaining insights tha aren't obvious to the naked eye. Embrace them!

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
"Now 15th" :lol:

Being outside the top 8 will guarantee England at least one tricky fixture. Slipping any more and they could be in danger of being 3rd seed
Doesn't qualifying guarantee three tricky fixtures? lololol, nah I like England and want them to do well.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
http://www.fifa.com/worldranking/rankingtable/index.html

It's above in recent posts, but this makes it easier for people to see where we are. That table actually does look like a fair reflection on current nations' performances, we have truly been terrible and don't deserve to be anywhere near top 5 like we were last time, beating teams like San Marino for feck's sake.

On another note, how the feck are Colombia so high up at 3rd? They must have been bitchslapping teams recently to get up so high.

Justin

On another note, how the feck are Colombia so high up at 3rd? They must have been bitchslapping teams recently to get up so high.
A win and a draw in the last month, but because they were qualifiers it got them a ton of points.

misterredmist

The FIFA World Cup rankings are dross

no serious rankings would have England anywhere near the top 10 - England are sh*te......

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
Far too big a deal made of this, England have only played one competitive game of note since October hence the ranking has dropped to reflect that, a couple of wins to end the qualifying (which is far from assured so far) with games against Montenegro, Ukraine, and Poland in September and October, and they'll be back somewhere in the top 10 again.

Of course the poor form and lack of wins earlier in qualifying are also shown. The world rankings get way too much criticism really, they're pretty fair, most peoples complaints are borne out of ignorance or judging on performances over results.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Ridiculously, the world cup doesn't work like that. In the world cup, the top 7+hosts, are seeded, and the rest are divided by country...

Except that might not be true. It was true in 2010, but Fifa are twats and haven't announced how it will work yet. It may not be possible for that to work anyway, last time there were 8 European teams outside the top7+ hosts. That night not be true this time.

Regardless. FIFA are twats. We don't know how seedlings will work.

ravelston

The FIFA rankings have always been flaky - they depend to too great an extent on who has played the most competitive matches recently. That's why Brazil (and England) currently have such low rankings and Colombia are so high. (That's not to say that Colombia don't deserve to have advanced in the rankings - their rise is just exaggerated by the FIFA system.) The Elo ratings are much less volatile and, in my opinion at least, a better indicator of relative position. (www.eloratings.net)

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
The FIFA rankings have always been flaky - they depend to too great an extent on who has played the most competitive matches recently. That's why Brazil (and England) currently have such low rankings and Colombia are so high. (That's not to say that Colombia don't deserve to have advanced in the rankings - their rise is just exaggerated by the FIFA system.) The Elo ratings are much less volatile and, in my opinion at least, a better indicator of relative position. (www.eloratings.net)

True for Brazil. England are still probably punching above their weight at 15th, tbh.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
15th is probably still too high. Rankings are a load of shit anyway.

vanthaman

Winner
There are only 1st seeds, rest of each group is determined by geographical location

These were the pots for 2010

1314: Pot Four: France, Portugal, Slovenia, Switzerland, Greece, Serbia, Denmark, Slovakia.
1313: Pot Three: Ivory Coast, Ghana, Cameroon, Nigeria, Algeria, Paraguay, Chile, Uruguay.
1312: Pot Two: Japan, South Korea, North Korea, Australia, New Zealand, United States, Mexico, Honduras.
1311: Pot One: South Africa, Brazil, Spain, Netherlands, Italy, Germany, Argentina, ENGLAND.

Only European seeded team can have another European in their group, other groups have 4 teams from 4 continents

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
There are only 1st seeds, rest of each group is determined by geographical location*
*Probably, as thats what they did last time, but there is no official confirmation yet. FIFA love changing the rules half way through

Carl

So we're down to 17th now? At what point do we run the risk of not beeing seeded?

Carl

8th or lower!
Uh oh!

So we won't be seeded for the WC should we get there (providing those above us also get there)? I take it that will effect us for subsequent qualifier draws too? Damn...

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Uh oh!

So we won't be seeded for the WC should we get there (providing those above us also get there)? I take it that will effect us for subsequent qualifier draws too? Damn...

Won't have any meaningful impact on the qualifiers for the euros. Anyway, there's 24 teams to that comp so will be no problem qualifying.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Uh oh!

Does it matter? There's always an excuse or scapegoat for the media to vilify anyway.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
:lol: We were close to not qualifying and now look like we could be seeded along with Brazil, Argentina and Colombia :eek:

Thanks feck for the Confeds Cup.

AttackingFlair

How are the playoffs chosen for the WC groups? Which second place team faces the other second place team? How do they choose that?

Skorenzy

Belgium are 6th, I can't quite believe it :eek: :lol:

Leekens can claim whatever he wants (there was a minor controversy in the media recently about the previous NT manager Georges Leekens who had put "Builder of probably the best Belgian A-National Team ever" on his resumé :lol:), but this is all down to Wilmots taking over. Can't remember any time in the past decade that we displayed such consistency in both our performances and results.

England will likely qualify and get out of their group, another R16/QF finish IMO.

@anto, do you think that Tabárez will stick with Forlán if you make it to Brazil or will he dare to make changes? And do you believe that Suárez could pull off a WC like Forlán did in South Africa?