England Cricket Winter 2017/18 - Ashes & NZ

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Williamson before lunch, please.

paulscholes18

Wood figures look tidy, but was he watching Broad and Anderson who got there wickets on a full length, Wood didn’t even pitch 1 delivery up

DOTA

Wood figures look tidy, but was he watching Broad and Anderson who got there wickets on a full length, Wood didn’t even pitch 1 delivery up
Clearly for better or worse what he's been told his job is.

So far he's had some short deliveries whacked by Grandhomme and he's hit Watling on the helmet, so mixed bag.

DOTA

I'm just gonna commentate, since most of y'all are asleep.

Watling and Grandhomme dug in brilliantly until Broad got the latter to nick behind for 72.

Southee comes in and NZ's lower order needs to show the ability England's did. At time of writing NZ are 180-6

NinjaFletch

Clearly for better or worse what he's been told his job is.

So far he's had some short deliveries whacked by Grandhomme and he's hit Watling on the helmet, so mixed bag.
I just don't really see 'it' with Wood at Test level. He's quick, but not that quick (his speeds were around the same as Broad's when I was watching) and he doesn't seem to do much with the ball in the air or off the pitch. His only variation is that jump wide, but it's so telegraphed people see it coming form miles away. He doesn't seem to get much bounce either.

Maybe I'm being harsh because he's had a lot of time out, but his figures after 11 tests are, well, Ishant Sharma like (which actually is harsh on Ishant Sharma, his are better).

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
I just don't really see 'it' with Wood at Test level. He's quick, but not that quick (his speeds were around the same as Broad's when I was watching) and he doesn't seem to do much with the ball in the air or off the pitch. His only variation is that jump wide, but it's so telegraphed people see it coming form miles away. He doesn't seem to get much bounce either.

Maybe I'm being harsh because he's had a lot of time out, but his figures after 11 tests are, well, Ishant Sharma like (which actually is harsh on Ishant Sharma, his are better).
Supposed to be decent at reversing it but there's nothing Wood can do that a fit and healthy Ben Stokes can't do at a much higher level. Reckon England's 3rd seamer spot will become a bit a bit of a revolving door as they search for Jimmy's replacement.

DOTA

New ball appears to be everything in this match.

DOTA

Assuming Broad or Anderson gets this last wicket then that's four bowlers taking the first twenty wickets of this test match. Must be quite unusual.

DOTA

7/0 at lunch
If we can survive the first 30 overs without losing our entire top order then I think we should attack. I really can't see either team surviving the second new ball in this match. Get the runs while you can.

DOTA

Textbook Cook dismissal, gone for 14.
Not sure if he has a horrendous record against left arm quicks but I can recall plenty of times they've got gotten the better of him.

DOTA

Stoneman needs to score some bloody runs. He seems genuinely comfortable against the new ball. He's good at 'opening'. He's just not as yet in life been good at batting.

DOTA

Lead's over a hundred, now. Still one down.

England clearly should win this test match from here, weather permitting.

zing

Zingle balls

Always wonder why so many English journalists call Mark Wood the next big thing.

He bowls good pace but beyond that I see nothing in test cricket like you say.

Otis Gibson called him the best bowler in England after Anderson and broad.

DOTA

Vince and Stoneman in and out. Frustrating as ever.

Always wonder why so many English journalists call Mark Wood the next big thing.

He bowls good pace but beyond that I see nothing in test cricket like you say.

Otis Gibson called him the best bowler in England after Anderson and broad.
I thought he was a great talent, if he stayed fit, three years ago. He didn't and now he isn't.

DOTA

Three down when bad light ends play. England scored at 2.87 in that final session...

DOTA

At least we have the right two to press on. Can't imagine either of the next two hanging around, either.

Trademark Root gets to 50 then gets out
Yup. Not sure I've seen someone as bad at converting as him.

EDIT - A quick google brings up Fleming as the master. Managed 46 fifties and 9 hundreds.

DOTA

Play some bloody shots, Jonny!

Also, I have a bit of a thing for Leach. Definitely one of my more baffling sporting crushes.

DOTA

Bairstow is out and England declare. NZ chase 382.

If I recall, they've only three times chased over 250. Never successfully chased anything close to this score. Lots of overs likely to be lost to bad light, so we're most likely looking at an England win or a draw.

DOTA

NZ fought very well against the new ball, in difficult conditions. Leach is turning it square out of the footholes, which he appears very adept at finding. Root's now bowling his filth, given the light issue.

DOTA

And we're done for the day. 339 more needed for NZ, who looked understandably keen to end the day's play.

Pitch looks sedate enough, for the seamers, that NZ should survive tomorrow. Unless they get knocked over by the second new ball.

I don't think 339 in a day is a serious worry for England - nor a thing NZ will be thinking about.

paulscholes18

And we're done for the day. 339 more needed for NZ, who looked understandably keen to end the day's play.

Pitch looks sedate enough, for the seamers, that NZ should survive tomorrow. Unless they get knocked over by the second new ball.

I don't think 339 in a day is a serious worry for England - nor a thing NZ will be thinking about.
The clocks going back may have just cost England, practically lost a whole session of play yesterday