England Cricket Winter 2017/18 - Ashes & NZ

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
God, there are suggestions Smith might face some questioning over some alleged ball tampering.
He's bloody crap at ball tampering, if he was...

I dare say this is probably the media being silly.

Smith and the Australian team fined for their slow over rate.

It's a wank punishment
They need to give set time, and if you dont get your 50 overs done in that time, you give up x (10 maybe) runs/over for each one left over and then make them bowl them as well

Only way over rates get sorted out, same for test cricket - probably less runs though in that format

SaboTaj

Add Stokes back to this English ODI team and it becomes pretty dangerous.

Australia on the other hand needs to find a dependable limited overs spinner and figure out how to pace their innings properly. I have for a while been of the opinion that the Aussies struggle with pacing their innings, especially while chasing. They have some quality limited over batsmen and all-rounders, but ever since the World Cup they’ve mostly let themselves down by displaying ab inability to control the game and the required run rate.

ChrisNelson

4th ODI not going ever so well for England.... at one stage they were 8 for 5, recovering somewhat to finish on 196 all out.

Smith has just gone as I type, Australia with 7 wickets remaining need 127 more runs from 198 balls. Should be a home win but you never know!

Utdstar01

4th ODI not going ever so well for England.... at one stage they were 8 for 5, recovering somewhat to finish on 196 all out.

Smith has just gone as I type, Australia with 7 wickets remaining need 127 more runs from 198 balls. Should be a home win but you never know!
Woke up about half 4 and checked the score, thought I was seeing things but then I remembered this is England.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Sounds like the toss decided the match to be honest (certain England would have won if Aus batted first) but England should have played those first 10 overs better.

Australia did their best to keep it interesting towards the end!

paulscholes18

4-1 didn’t look likely when England were all out for 259 and Australia were 184/4 with Stonis and Maxwell well set.
Curren with 5/35 and had 2 dropped as well
England won by 12 runs

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
FFS, Australia have got a massive amount of work to do in order to be a chance of retaining the World Cup.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
FFS, Australia have got a massive amount of work to do in order to be a chance of retaining the World Cup.
Australia haven't been a good ODI side for, what feels like, a very long time. I know they won the 2015 WC, but I think that was more to do with being at home than anything else. The last time I felt frightened of them in the limited overs form was in 2007.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Good win for England considering they were against it and had a second string seam attack.

Great to see the Aussies choke when they should have won!

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Australia have won the first game of the hit and giggle/crash bash tri series against New Zealand by 7 wickets at the SCG.

ChrisNelson

England in all sorts of trouble in the second match! Batting first, 127/8 with 3.3 overs to go. Could have done with a bit of a cameo from Willey at number 7! Will be lucky to get 150 here and surely not enough.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Australia have won the 2nd game of the hit and giggle/crash bash tri series against England by 5 wickets in Hobart.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Australia have won the 3rd game of the hit and giggle/crash bash tri series against England by 7 wickets in Melbourne. On to New Zealand now with NZ vs ENg at Westpac Stadium in Wellington, NZ vs AUS at Eden Park in Auckland, NZ vs ENG at Seddon Park in Hamilton then Australia vs ENG/NZ in the final at Eden Park.

ChrisNelson

Latest match in the T20 Tri-Series at Wellington. Slow pitch by all accounts.

NZ 196/5

ENG 82/2 (9.1) need 115 from 65 balls. Wickets column looks healthy but a big ask.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Amazing game. Need 50 in 4 overs.

40 in 22 and now Malan is gone.

Maybe over for England.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
So New Zealand set Australia a target of 244 to win and Australia managed to chase it down with 7 balls to spare. Good advertisement for crash bash cricket but this sort of match isn't going to make me take this form of cricket seriously in terms of being emotionally invested in the outcome.

On the positive side, this is the first time Australia has beaten New Zealand in a proper international sport (rugby league doesn't count as one IMO) at Eden Park since the first ever game of crash bash cricket between these two teams in 2005. Now if the Wallabies can beat the All Blacks there on August 25, that'd be bloody beautiful.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona

I think Jim and Harsha have both made some valid points. I was numb to all the sixes by the mid way point last night. Worth pointing out that average score at Eden Park before yesterday's game was around the 16-170 mark but a game like yesterday was bound to happen.

paulscholes18

NZ won the 1st ODI by 3 wickets and with only 4 balls spare. Stokes made his return 12 off 22 with the bat and 2 for 43 from 8 overs

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Slightly related and important news is the England Lions getting smashed 3-0 by West Indies A with Jomel Warrican taking 31 wickets in the series with his slow-left armers. Think this is endemic of a complete inability within England to play spin and very worrying. In a spin dominated series Mason Crane was outbowled by Liam Livingstone in the first match and then dropped for Dom Bess who took a 5'er in the final match. Jack Leach was pretty good all series.

paulscholes18

This looks a perfect pitch to bat on, fully expect England to post well over 320. ATM 70/0 after 9

paulscholes18

England have collapsed from 267/1 (37.3) to 276/5 (40.2) Morgan and Stokes have chucked there wicket away

Last edited:

paulscholes18

Just feck off, this is batting at its worse, Ali is a joke of a batsman. Even worse from Woakes this is just braindead batting. 288/7

Last edited:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
How the feck did England lose this? I went to sleep at about 263/1 with 13 overs left and 400 was on the cards.

paulscholes18

England set 224 to win the series, they need to play Sodhi better then they did a couple of days ago if they do then it should be an easy win, if not then queaky bum time may be ahead

prath92

Morgan’s use of his bowling options is amateurish. Why would you not use Mark Wood to bowl two more overs when he has barely going at 3 rpo? Even last game he didn’t bowl out woakes who had conceded 16 off 5 overs.

dbs235

England cruising here, but we saw what happened last time...