England - Euro 2021 Discussion | FA chairman: Southgate to be offered new contract until Euro 2024

croadyman

There’s lots of speculation about who is going to replace him - but when does the decision need to be made?

I presume a medical report needs to be signed off by UEFA to confirm that he’s actually injured.
Well the report on BBC suggests that a decision on this is going to be made after the game on Sunday

croadyman

Well after watching that video in the Jadon thread seems like he can take a decent corner or FK and has more chance of starting games than JWP, so maybe Gareth should bring in either Jesse or White as his flexibility of being able to play CB & also in front of the back 4 (Henderson injury concern) might be the way to go on this. A good point someone on another forum just made is we need to wait until Sunday to decide in case we need to make 2/3 changes if Maguire & Henderson aren't going to be fit.

Last edited:

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Glad he is out , won`t have to listen to Jenas and his Trent this, Trent that bollocks.
And this is why England supporters don’t deserve a championship. Too bad he wasn’t out longer through injury right?
I can’t enjoy watching England anymore even though I should but the stupid team bitterness of supporters ruins it.

Lee565

Surely has to be prowse, if you need a goal and you get a free kick outside the box in the 90th minute or a corner kick then prowse is the best option, let's not kid ourselves that we will play expansive free flowing football under southgate and international matches in general tend to be tight games, if you look at the last world cup a lot of our success in reaching the semis came from set pieces.

djembatheking

And this is why England supporters don’t deserve a championship. Too bad he wasn’t out longer through injury right?
I can’t enjoy watching England anymore even though I should but the stupid team bitterness of supporters ruins it.
I would rather he wasn't selected than injured as I don't rate him defensively and doubt he would have got much game time anyway . Hopefully now the pundits won't talk about him so much as he isn't on the bench. Not holding my breath though . Feel a lot safer with Walker or Trippier defensively especially with Coady or Mings at CB.

sugar_kane

I find it astonishing how much the Trent stuff has dominated football coverage recently.

First we had months of is he good enough to be in the squad, then his addition to the squad dominating headlines, then his injury is now top news on every site.

You'd think he was Rooney in his peak years the way it's spoken about. We're so well stocked in his position we've not even included the likes of AWB in the squad who until the last few weeks seemed to one of the most highly regarded right backs in the Premier League.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
And this is why you will always be bitter. Several fans have stated that it‘s a shame about the injury but you have overlooked those and instead picked out a post which didn’t.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Well the report on BBC suggests that a decision on this is going to be made after the game on Sunday
makes sence as who knows we might have extra injuries to factor in as well

Gut feel given that maguires fitness is in question it will be a CB they go with

perhaps start with White and Godfrey at the back and hope one of them has a good game

BarstoolProphet

Personally I think it's good for the lad long-term that he misses out. Rarely have I seen so much discussion about the possible inclusion of a player in a squad. Every move and mistake he would've made would've been blown up to epic proportions.

croadyman

makes sence as who knows we might have extra injuries to factor in as well

Gut feel given that maguires fitness is in question it will be a CB they go with

perhaps start with White and Godfrey at the back and hope one of them has a good game
Yeah wouldn't be surprised if at least 3 of the 4 players contending for that spot get a start on Sunday, my gut feeling is that Watkins isn't under consideration at all but maybe I 'm completely wrong and he's looking at him too

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Personally I think it's good for the lad long-term that he misses out. Rarely have I seen so much discussion about the possible inclusion of a player in a squad. Every move and mistake he would've made would've been blown up to epic proportions.
Agreed. I think it would be a recipe for disaster. As good as he is, any minor mistake he would make would be discussed for days after.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
We have enough cover there anyway. Would be better to bring in Ward-Prowse and give us more depth in the centre as it's very light.

SYM

I think England go out in the Last 16 against Portugal.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I think England go out in the Last 16 against Portugal.
Been saying the same thing myself for ages. Be typical of us to finally start a tournament we'll and beat Croatia, go on to top the group, and then get Portugal and go straight out.

I'd be much more positive if Germany can kick a win against them in the group and we play them as 2nd place

Bwuk

If Mings is starting England won't win anything.

croadyman

Afraid to say he will be if Maguire isn't fit for the group stages, would much prefer White/Godfrey to him but then if either of them come in for TAA then we are still light of a player in the middle that could link things between defence and attack. Like others have already said Gareth made a huge mistake in not picking Tomori in that provisional squad, the guy dislodged one of the best CB's in Romagnoli but still couldn't get a call up for his country.

Last edited:

SYM

Been saying the same thing myself for ages. Be typical of us to finally start a tournament we'll and beat Croatia, go on to top the group, and then get Portugal and go straight out.

I'd be much more positive if Germany can kick a win against them in the group and we play them as 2nd place
Croatia is a tough game. But I think England will just about get the better of them. I think whoever wins that game will top the group.

Unfortunately the group is linked up with "The Group of Death" and there's no way to avoid The European Champions, Portugal, or The World Champions, France in the next round. Germany might be a less scary option, but they have some weapons too, Hummels, Kimmich, Gundogan, Sane, Gnabry, Havertz etc.

SYM

Walker, Stones, Mings, Shaw.

Not exactly a back line that's going to scary the likes of France, Portugal or Germany.

I think Luke is probably the best defender there.

Acole9

Outstanding
The whole thing around Alexander Arnold has been weird. I watched BBC news this morning and the reporter acted like he'd died or something rather than pulled out of the squad.

We have three other right backs all of which have had good seasons and deserve their place so this doesn't seem like a big deal really. The squad is/was unbalanced it's making me feel queasy.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
If Mings was right-footed he'd be nowhere near the England squad. Crap footballer.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
All that furore of his selection and he goes and gets an injury? Bit fishy isn't it...

I'm hoping Southy picks another CB so we don't have to play Mings.
No idea how Mings even gets close to the squad, with all the fuss Southgate seems to make about ball playing centre backs. Mings is just a violent Chris Smalling.

croadyman

No idea how Mings even gets close to the squad, with all the fuss Southgate seems to make about ball playing centre backs. Mings is just a violent Chris Smalling.
Yeah he is exactly the reason I want to bring in White/Godfrey but then with that we are still lacking a player in midfield that gives you a different option whether it's Jesse for running behind or JWP in CM and is also capable of delivering from set pieces too

romufc

Now England are left with a 30 yr old right back and a relatively inexperienced Reece James at the international level.
That comment made me laugh..

So you want him to take an experienced RB, but not one who is 30 because he is too experienced?

Or one who has had 2 seasons under him, played and won the CL final pocketing Sterling?

So there is a specific age and experience required for a Euro is it?

I guess in that case, Foden, Grealish, Sancho, Bellingham shouldnt be in the squad?

Amarsdd

When was the last time England beat a big/contender sorta team in these tournaments esp in the knockout stage? I can't think of one in the last 3-4 decades.

Mings is so bad, complete liability. So much so that I want to start Coady ahead of him. Coady can’t defend but at least he can pass a football.

IncyWincySpider

Croatia is a tough game. But I think England will just about get the better of them. I think whoever wins that game will top the group.

Unfortunately the group is linked up with "The Group of Death" and there's no way to avoid The European Champions, Portugal, or The World Champions, France in the next round. Germany might be a less scary option, but they have some weapons too, Hummels, Kimmich, Gundogan, Sane, Gnabry, Havertz etc.
There is one way to avoid the group of death and that's to finish a strong third which wouldn't surprise me, tbh.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Some "genius" on Kelvin Talks Shite Radio said the other day that England were right up there with the favourites and were probably even the favourites. Dear me...

Some "genius" on Kelvin Talks Shite Radio said the other day that England were right up there with the favourites and were probably even the favourites. Dear me...
It’s pretty open, and I would say Sngland are up with the favourites. Remember it’s pretty much a home tournament for England - and there is always an advantage to playing at home.

it’s not outrageous. England are one of about 6 teams that can win it. I wouldn’t say favourites at all, but we are one of the teams than can win it without it being a shock.

Siorac

I don't think that's particularly outrageous. Looking at the squads, only France are definitely better.

It's England so they're likely to feck it up somehow but they do have the players to go all the way.

Ekeke

I think England have enough talent to win it. However I think some of the squad selections, lineup selections and tactics and the manager are likely reasons why we go out in the semis or lose the final instead

Lee565

After that incident against Austria, southgate should be dropping mings from the the 26 man squad all together, he has form for these type of incidents and is red card waiting to happen.