England - Euro 2021 Discussion | FA chairman: Southgate to be offered new contract until Euro 2024

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I don't think that's particularly outrageous. Looking at the squads, only France are definitely better.

It's England so they're likely to feck it up somehow but they do have the players to go all the way.
indeed there is France, but have you seen Belgium and Portugal? and serial tournament winners Germany?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
It’s pretty open, and I would say Sngland are up with the favourites. Remember it’s pretty much a home tournament for England - and there is always an advantage to playing at home.

it’s not outrageous. England are one of about 6 teams that can win it. I wouldn’t say favourites at all, but we are one of the teams than can win it without it being a shock.
In top six, I agree. Likely to beat Belgium, France or Portugal: unlikely (in my opinion)

krentz

The starting line up should be:

Pickford;
Trippier - stones - Maguire - shaw
Rice;
Foden - Grealish
sancho - Kane - Rashford

Rice would be the staple of this team as he is the key to balancing this heavy attacking of this line up :keano:

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
The starting line up should be:

Pickford;
Trippier - stones - Maguire - shaw
Rice;
Foden - Grealish
sancho - Kane - Rashford

Rice would be the staple of this team as he is the key to balancing this heavy attacking of this line up :keano:
Maguire won't make it if you ask me - I'd be surprised if he was fully fit for the start of our season. Pickford's inclusion, if you ask me, gives good opponents a goal start!

Maguire won't make it if you ask me - I'd be surprised if he was fully fit for the start of our season. Pickford's inclusion, if you ask me, gives good opponents a goal start!
unfortunately there’s no one better than Pickford. Let’s not put on the red tinted glasses and claim Henderson is a better keeper.

krentz

Heard that Maguire would only be ready in the knock-out stages. Goes to show how important he is to his teams eventhough people, including United fan loved knocking him down. I'd like to put Dean Henderson over Pickford but apparently it would create even bigger controversy on CAF. :wenger:

unfortunately there’s no one better than Pickford. Let’s not put on the red tinted glasses and claim Henderson is a better keeper.
I think Deano is the better goalie, but he isnt ready yet so I'd rather him on the England's bench this summer. :angel:

Heard that Maguire would only be ready in the knock-out stages. Goes to show how important he is to his teams eventhough people, including United fan loved knocking him down. I'd like to put Dean Henderson over Pickford but apparently it would create even bigger controversy on CAF. :wenger:

I think Deano is the better goalie, but he isnt ready yet so I'd rather him on the England's bench this summer. :angel:
Henderson has potential, and could end up as the better keeper - I am not knocking him, but there’s no way he should be playing for England at this time.

Pickford has done better for England, than for Everton.

krentz

Henderson has potential, and could end up as the better keeper - I’m no way am I knocking him, but there’s no way he should be playing for England at this time.

Pickford has done better for England, than for Everton.
Ooh i agree hence why I'd rather see him on the bench for now. The English public and media have nasty tendency of bullying their own players, especially if they happen to play for Man United. I dont want them to destroy Deano's career while its' barely begun, that's all. :D

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Has Pickford ever actually let England down? I'm not his biggest fan, but I think there's a huge overreaction about him being #1. He's nowhere near as bad as plenty are making out.

Classical Mechanic

Has Pickford ever actually let England down? I'm not his biggest fan, but I think there's a huge overreaction about him being #1. He's nowhere near as bad as plenty are making out.
He hasn't. He makes me nervous but as an all round keeper he's a lot better than people on this site give him credit for. People claim he can't pass the ball but he can be brilliant at it as he was against Austria.

he hasn’t at all. He’s been good for England.

is there an overreaction to him being no 1? is it just Liverpool fans who are still annoyed with him?

There’s no realistic alternative. He’s never going to be a world class keeper, but France have Lloris for example.

Walters_19_MuFc

Looks like Southgate is going with a 4231 again, with Godfrey coming in a right-back. Could he potentially be TAA's replacement? Time will tell but the fact he can play in a few positions will be a massive bonus for him.

That being said, if we are to play a 4231, with Henderson not being fully fit, I'd really be looking to take JWP because we only really have Rice, Phillips, and young Bellingham who can operate in the deeper positions.

Anyway, team vs Romania:

Johnstone
Godfrey White Mings Shaw
Ward-Prowse Phillips
Sancho Grealish Rashford
Calvert-Lewin​

dbs235

Sancho - Grealish - Rashford looks tasty, but I really don't rate DCL. He can get on the end of things but he's not a good enough footballer IMO. Can imagine a midfield of JWP and Phillips being pretty painful too.

francobaresi

So, correct me if I'm wrong.... but, White, Godfrey and Ward Prowse are not even in the final squad, right? But they are starting this game? I genuinely do not understand this. Absolutely pointless

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Sancho - Grealish - Rashford looks tasty, but I really don't rate DCL. He can get on the end of things but he's not a good enough footballer IMO. Can imagine a midfield of JWP and Phillips being pretty painful too.
Your opinion of DCL is wrong.

Carl

So, correct me if I'm wrong.... but, White, Godfrey and Ward Prowse are not even in the final squad, right? But they are starting this game? I genuinely do not understand this. Absolutely pointless
Suppose there's every chance that Maguire and Henderson don't make it, so good opportunity for someone to show why they should go should they not.

Edit: plus we've not called up a TAA replacement as yet.

Idxomer

He could take one of them.

Carl

Your opinion of DCL is wrong.
Seen quite a bit of under rating of DCL going on lately, probably down to the last third of the season. Which is in stark contrast to the gross over rating that went on over the first half in particular.

Good player and an excellent backup to Kane in this Entland side.

Idxomer

Agreed and he's not that prolific anyway.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Seen quite a bit of under rating of DCL going on lately, probably down to the last third of the season. Which is in stark contrast to the gross over rating that went on over the first half in particular.

Good player and an excellent backup to Kane in this Entland side.
Suffered from the same as Rashford where both players were seen as undroppable by their sides and therefore in the final third of the season both were exhausted/always had niggles. We barely ever had a backup for DCL all season as we kept getting rid of them.

A lot of dross going about that all he can do is head the ball etc. which is complete rubbish. Prior to Ancelotti he was excellent at running the channels and linking up play with others but last season he was tasked by Ancelotti to play more as a striker that is getting the scrappy goals around the 6 yard box but when he had to link up he could do that no issue. I’m not sure why people are doing so much revisionism of him.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
All those right backs and they play a CB there :lol:
Very nicely rounded lineup though. Have an all round midfielder next to a holding mid, both with good passing range, and Grealish to create from the hole. Great balance with Rashford and Sancho on the wings too, one creative and one scorer.

Carl

Suffered from the same as Rashford where both players were seen as undroppable by their sides and therefore in the final third of the season both were exhausted/always had niggles. We barely ever had a backup for DCL all season as we kept getting rid of them.

A lot of dross going about that all he can do is head the ball etc. which is complete rubbish. Prior to Ancelotti he was excellent at running the channels and linking up play with others but last season he was tasked by Ancelotti to play more as a striker that is getting the scrappy goals around the 6 yard box but when he had to link up he could do that no issue. I’m not sure why people are doing so much revisionism of him.
You're not new around here, so you should know better :lol:

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
I am finding this team selection a bit 'odd'. I was always of the opinion that a manager with a couple of warm up games pre-tournement, would experiement in the 1st game, but they would line up an easier opponent (who hasn't quailfied themselves) and that last warm-up (e.g. this game at 5pm) would start with the 11 expected to be on team sheet when it all starts for real against Croatia. The team get to play as a unit and also get a confidence boost of an easy win.

I know the Campions League final caused disruption mid-week, but I really thing the Chelsea and City players a week after the final could have played today. I excused the Lingaard situation mid-week, but it seems bonkers today to have players outside the 26-man squad on the pitch or on the bench.

This is not good preparation for the actual tournement, sadly.

Reactions: Damien

TheReligion

Abusive
Keane cracks me up.

Asking why Jordan Henderson has been taken. Someone said good to have him around the squad for experience and he didn't agree. Started asking if he does card tricks or sing songs in the dressing room.

dbs235

That's the issue I have. That's fine for Everton. For England you want someone who's a lot more comfortable on the ball, who can play well with players like Grealish and Foden. Not chase down long balls, win headers and score tap ins. He is fine as a back up to Kane.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Am i in the minority who doesnt give a single feck about international friendlies?

Dante

Average bang
Neither Coady nor Mings are good enough. But Coady is still miles better out of the two.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
That's the issue I have. That's fine for Everton. For England you want someone who's a lot more comfortable on the ball, who can play well with players like Grealish and Foden. Not chase down long balls, win headers and score tap ins. He is fine as a back up to Kane.
The bit directly after you bolded states that he also linked up play so you’re just choosing to see what you want to see rather than what he is actually able to do.