England - Euro 2021 Discussion | FA chairman: Southgate to be offered new contract until Euro 2024

Hammondo

That is an absolute shit-show of a train-wreck of a team selection.

This is what happens when you give a crap manager (his club highlights were getting boro relegated) too many options. He ends up thinking he's Regaine Pep.
It's mostly good, don't go overboard. I can see 2 players I would want changing in the first 11.

MU655

I'm guessing Sterling got in because he got an MBE. Southgate wasn't even playing him before the tournament, so why now?

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
A poster mentioned Grealish has no vision....THIS is why England never do well. Statistically speaking the most creative player, yet gets dropped for England's biggest game in the group. Outside of the statistical realm, Grealish is potentially England's talisman, you can talk about Foden all you wants, but he can't do what Grealish can do. The other day mourinho was talking about how Grealish reminded him of Figo. The confidence, the balance, the agility and the will to consistently take the ball. England finally have that player and have decided not to use him. For what?? Is it because he plays for Villa? So shortsighted and myopic. For me, it's almost disgusting. Does anyone expect him to take Villa to a UCL final? People will be mad about Chilwell, Shaw and Sancho; but this is by far the most disgusting decision. It's not like he wasn't the best player in the friendly games. How good does someone have to be to prove they belong in the first Xi. The truth is, Grealish would start for any other national team, both in Europe and the world. Yet in England, "he doesn't have experience at the top top level". Absolute bs.
Grealish is good but ffs sake over reaction much? This is just the first game of a tournament.

Castia

Trippier only ever played LB 4 times in his career…..

Id understand if we had injuries but both Shaw and Chilwell are in form.

Just seems like a completely stupid decision

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
A poster mentioned Grealish has no vision....THIS is why England never do well. Statistically speaking the most creative player, yet gets dropped for England's biggest game in the group. Outside of the statistical realm, Grealish is potentially England's talisman, you can talk about Foden all you wants, but he can't do what Grealish can do. The other day mourinho was talking about how Grealish reminded him of Figo. The confidence, the balance, the agility and the will to consistently take the ball. England finally have that player and have decided not to use him. For what?? Is it because he plays for Villa? So shortsighted and myopic. For me, it's almost disgusting. Does anyone expect him to take Villa to a UCL final? People will be mad about Chilwell, Shaw and Sancho; but this is by far the most disgusting decision. It's not like he wasn't the best player in the friendly games. How good does someone have to be to prove they belong in the first Xi. The truth is, Grealish would start for any other national team, both in Europe and the world. Yet in England, "he doesn't have experience at the top top level". Absolute bs.
Who the hell said Jack had no vision, name and shame him please. :lol:

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Trippier only ever played LB 4 times in his career…..

Id understand if we had injuries but both Shaw and Chilwell are in form.

Just seems like a completely stupid decision
He’s going to get fecking hammered by the press if it backfires.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

This is what happens when you give a crap manager (his club highlights were getting boro relegated) too many options. He ends up thinking he's Regaine Pep.
Let's wait and see what happens eh before we condem Gareth and his team.
He has selected a team specifically for this opposition.
He knows exactly how his players are feeling and performing.
Give the guy a chance.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I'm guessing Sterling got in because he got an MBE. Southgate wasn't even playing him before the tournament, so why now?
The friendlies if that's what you mean aren't much of an indicator, many big players missed those games because of their involvement in European competitions. Sterling pretty much won us every qualifier game throughout the last 12 months despite a mediocre season for City.

GazTheLegend

It's mostly good, don't go overboard. I can see 2 players I would want changing in the first 11.
No, he's right. It's atrocious. It's probably enough to beat Croatia which will make Southgate look vindicated but let's be clear here, it will be DESPITE Gareth Southgate not because of him. The centre of England's entire spine looks awful, even down to the goalkeeper.

Blood Mage

Southgate is beyond hopeless and out of his depth. I hope England crash out in the group stage.

ForeverRed1

It’s the two keepers on the bench thing that’s got me. No sancho.

no grealish, trippier are left back.. it’s just bizarre.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
And the toughest game in the group. You play your best team.
Yes certainly but there might be other mitigating factors for the selection today like injury, fitness, fatigue, mental readiness etc. This on paper is nowhere close to England's best team if all conditions are ideal but the ruckus in here is over the top really.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Poor team selection that likely won't be punished.

If you're an England fan you'd want Southgate to get some cop on before the first knock-out game though.

MU655

The friendlies if that's what you mean aren't much of an indicator, many big players missed those games because of their involvement in European competitions. Sterling pretty much won us every qualifier game throughout the last 12 months.
But, he has been awful this season. It is really weird not playing him in the preparation games, and then throwing him into the hardest game in the group.

I would understand more if this was Czech Republic or Scotland.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
The friendlies if that's what you mean aren't much of an indicator, many big players missed those games because of their involvement in European competitions. Sterling pretty much won us every qualifier game throughout the last 12 months despite a mediocre season for City.
Might as well not have played any friendlies in all honesty. They told us nothing and many of the actual team didn’t even play. Not to mention the injuries.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It’s the two keepers on the bench thing that’s got me. No sancho.

no grealish, trippier are left back.. it’s just bizarre.
I think he's required to have two goalkeepers on the bench, though I may be wrong.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I mean, by your definition we may as well send him home after being overlooked by a RB, if he’s so fragile mentally, this will do wonders for his confidence I’m sure.

If it’s to do with training/injury then fine, not sure he ended the season that poorly and his body of work as a whole was the best in the league.
I agree if he always knew he was going to drop him for the first game, knowing Shaw’s character, it probably wasn’t worth bringing him. Especially if Chilwell comes in for the next game. I think that’d do serious damage to Shaw’s confidence, which was flying high this season.

I think he’s great and absolutely would’ve started him this game, but I just think it’s fair to point out a lot of players have struggled to bring their best form to the English team, and he has some of the qualities that make him most susceptible to it.

It’s not outside the realms of possibility he showed signs of that in training. But even in that case I’d have played Chilwell. Trippier is a bit baffling to me.

GazTheLegend

Completely agree. The worst thing is, it's probably good enough to win on talent alone but let's be clear Southgate is a meme at this point

Hester_manc

I thought it was fitness that was going to hold England back with how much they played collectively the past season and key injuries, but should've known, it's always the manager being dumb.
I have not written that. Do not put words in my mouth. But sometimes it's the manager's dispositions

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Mings, Trippier, Phillips, Pickford are all very questionable. Mings shouldnt even have been there, there are much better English CB's. Rice and Phillips is the most non footballing duo there is at the Euro's, McFred level. It is absolutely shocking.

Sterling is a no, but I guess he has proved his worth somehow.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
No United players starting is a great result, need them fresh for next season.