England Euro 2024 Squad and Discussion

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Picking Shaw if he's likely not to make it is a stupid decision. There are a bunch of LB options you could take including Colwill, Doughty and Mitchell that you can have a look at instead.
I mean he can just cut him as part of the 7 players he'll have to cut in 2 weeks, so it makes sense to me.

Ultiamtely Luke Shaw is miles better then any other left back we have, so if there's a chance he can play you do all you can.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Agree on Colwill and Mitchell but Doughty is a no go in my opinion. He's had a great season but he's a LWB and this has been his first season in the PL. I think from an experience and tactical perspective, it's fine he was left out but do agree on the others.
Well Southgate played a 5 at the back regularly in his early days and I don't think he's against reverting to it again if needed. It was more to highlight anyway that there are options.

PoTMS

I mean he can just cut him as part of the 7 players he'll have to cut in 2 weeks, so it makes sense to me.

Ultiamtely Luke Shaw is miles better then any other left back we have, so if there's a chance he can play you do all you can.
Depends on how far along he is, but with 26 man squads and 16 out of 24 teams going through to the knockout stages, it's not so much of a risk. Hopefully, we can get him ready for the third group game/knockout stages.

hobbers

Mainoo in, rashford out. Good.

ridiculously top heavy though. Amazing group of attackers but Mainoo is second best mid and a lot of dross in defence.

croadyman

Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson (Crystal Palace), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal), James Trafford (Burnley).

Defenders: Jarrad Branthwaite (Everton), Lewis Dunk (Brighton), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Marc Guehi (Crystal Palace), Ezri Konsa (Aston Villa), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Jarell Quansah (Liverpool), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Newcastle), Kyle Walker (Manchester City).

Midfielders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Conor Gallagher (Chelsea), Curtis Jones (Liverpool), Kobbie Mainoo (Manchester United), Declan Rice (Arsenal), Adam Wharton (Crystal Palace).

Forwards: Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid), Jarrod Bowen (West Ham), Eberechi Eze (Crystal Palace), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jack Grealish (Manchester City), Anthony Gordon (Newcastle), Harry Kane (Bayern Munich), James Maddison (Tottenham), Cole Palmer (Chelsea), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Ivan Toney (Brentford), Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa).

I'd pick the bolded personally. Maybe Trippier instead of Gomez.
That would pretty much be my squad, like you say Trippier needs to go with that FB situation

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

It just feels crazy. Last time he played 90 was in January.

saivet

Well Southgate played a 5 at the back regularly in his early days and I don't think he's against reverting to it again if needed. It was more to highlight anyway that there are options.
We've not played 3 at the back for the best part of 3 years and he used it when up against stronger opposition like at the last Euros.

Frank Grimes

Be interesting to see how Southgate decides to use Foden. He said before he doesn't start him centrally because he doesn't play there for his club (which was a poor excuse) now he can't claim that.
Foden is England's best player and has to be the focal point of England's attack.

croadyman

Southgate saying in presser about too many forwards says Toney will not make final 26

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Pickford

Walker Maguire Stones Shaw

Mainoo Rice

Saka Bellingham Palmer

Kane​

Palmer brings a different element to the attack from the other attacking players, and Foden would be an excellent option off the bench. Plus have Bellingham put in a shift across the pitch.

Only concern in the lineup is Maguire's form, Shaw's durability, and Mainoo's fitness over 90 mins

@WeePat can Gallagher play in midfield? He'd probably be my first man off the bench if Mainoo is off
Gallagher can play there, as long you don't ask him to be the sitting DM. He's at his best when he can press up high and kinda be allowed to roam and disrupt wherever the action is. He'd be an OK backup to Rice probably but he can't do what Mainoo does.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
What a squad. How do you find a formation to still play Foden and Bellingham in their natural positions without playing a diamond that then pushes out Saka
Shaw at LW and a box midfield

If Shaw isn't available it gets a bit dicier. Either go for Graelish and hope he can do a job at LB on defence, or shift things around across the back 5(3+2)

Jordan_mufc

Shaw at LW and a box midfield

If Shaw isn't available it gets a bit dicier. Either go for Graelish and hope he can do a job at LB on defence, or shift things around across the back 5(3+2)
Did you mean Shaw at LB? If so, how does that free up the other players?

Grealish at LB is a mad shout

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Would take one of Bowen/Eze as think there is a spot for whoever performs better in warm up games
I rate Bowen but personally I’d take Ebs in a squad of 26, just feel he’s that bit more versatile and likely to open up a tight game with his ball carrying ability.

But I am also extremely biased.

saivet

What a squad. How do you find a formation to still play Foden and Bellingham in their natural positions without playing a diamond that then pushes out Saka
You could stick with a 433 and play them both as no.8s in a 433 and play a CB at LB (maybe Gomez, Konsa or Branthwaite).

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Someone just rang in, a Chelsea fan, saying why Solanke not in over Toney. The fact he has won tournaments at lower age levels as well. To be honest Toney has not been great since he has come back.

Rojofiam

Saka ahead of Foden? That debate has been ended this season.

Bellingham is a great talent but Foden is better. Bellingham is only 20 so he can be better in future.

Kane hasn't won a pot in his life.
The issue here is not only you're wrong, but your reasoning is wrong as well. Saka has had another consistently excellent season, being a top 3 most important player for a title challenger team (Rice and Saliba the other 2 this season). Same thing happened last season. Foden doesn't have as much impact at City, and neither is he as important to them as De Bruyne, Haaland, or Rodri. Their numbers are similar. A lot of people choose Foden just because everything he does is aesthetic and pleases the eye. I think that might be the case with you as well. However, Saka is the better player. By the way, had Bellingham went to City, he would have been more important for them as well.

Your reasoning against Kane also stinks.

Foden is a better footballer than Saka.
Absolutely not, that's just the general consensus based on Foden having just had his best season yet

GlasgowCeltic

Needs one of Wharton and Mainoo to step up cause it still looks like a team that's gonna meet a top side and not see any of the ball in midfield, especially as I'd expect Gallagher to start with Rice. Feels like a squad with less moaning about selections than there has been for a while though think Southgates got it largely right

Jordan_mufc

The issue here is not only you're wrong, but your reasoning is wrong as well. Saka has had another consistently excellent season, being a top 3 most important player for a title challenger team (Rice and Saliba the other 2 this season). Same thing happened last season. Foden doesn't have as much impact at City, and neither is he as important to them as De Bruyne, Haaland, or Rodri. Their numbers are similar. A lot of people choose Foden just because everything he does is aesthetic and pleases the eye. I think that might be the case with you as well. However, Saka is the better player. By the way, had Bellingham went to City, he would have been more important for them as well.

Absolutely not, that's just the general consensus based on Foden having just had his best season yet
Did you miss the entirety of last season?

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

I'd leave out:

Trafford
Dunk
Quansah
Jones
Bowen
Eze
Maddison

assuming Shaw makes it.
I think you're almost bang on there. Tough to find room for Bowen when Saka and Foden can both play on the right. I can see him keeping Toney just to bring him on in the 119th minute to take a penalty.

Rojofiam

There is no way Saka is better than Foden. What have you been smoking.
I love how suddenly this is a "what have you been smoking" type of opinion, just because Foden's had a better season than usual :lol: Saka has had two seasons at least on par with Foden's 23/24 campaign, is way more important for his club, way more important for his country, and he's a natural right winger as well. That's his best position. Foden has to be shoehorned into the 11 every time people try to make a case for him. The truth is he's not even part of their best 11, unless you go FIFPro World 11 style and just put the biggest names into the team, totally disregarding team balance, roles, and profiles .

Frank Grimes

The majority disagree with you. Foden has always been a superior talent to Saka to anyone who understands the game.

I was clearly being tongue in cheek regarding Kane.

Rojofiam

Did you miss the entirety of last season?
No, I haven't. City can easily make do without Foden, and there are several players whose absence could actually give Pep a bigger headache when trying to replace them.

Rojofiam

The majority disagree with you. Foden has always been a superior talent to Saka to anyone who understands the game.

I was clearly being tongue in cheek regarding Kane.
"To anyone who understands the game"

So, can you give me a thorough explanation as to why Foden is a better player, or a superior talent? I'm sure he looks fancier carrying the ball, than Saka, but in the things that actually matter, Saka is ahead.