England Euro 2024 Squad and Discussion

TheGame

Shaw is broken and wont play. And its better to take a okay left back - Mitchell - than play a CB out of position.

Maguire is shit: Dunk is shitter, neither should go

Wharton is readier than Mainoo

id take Bowen and Watkjns over Toney
Maguire is not shit. He’s been great this season and has mostly been solid for England. I agree Mitchell should have been considered as a proper LB.

Red00012

Shaw is broken and wont play. And its better to take a okay left back - Mitchell - than play a CB out of position.

Maguire has had a very good season and rarely has been poor for England but don’t let the truth get in the way of your agenda

Jordan_mufc

No, I haven't. City can easily make do without Foden, and there are several players whose absence could actually give Pep a bigger headache when trying to replace them.
I don't know how you've deduced that when he's just dragged them to a title.

Take him out of the team and Arsenal win the league

Rojofiam

I don't know how you've deduced that when he's just dragged them to a title.

Take him out of the team and Arsenal win the league
I just don't see how he's more important to City than De Bruyne, Haaland, or Rodri. If Foden isn't available, they have KDB to play #10. They have Bernardo and Doku to play on the right. However, if they're missing any of those three, the replacement will be a huge drop in quality. Same goes for Saka at Arsenal.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
I just don't see how he's more important to City than De Bruyne, Haaland, or Rodri. If Foden isn't available, they have KDB to play #10. They have Bernardo and Doku to play on the right. However, if they're missing any of those three, the replacement will be a huge drop in quality. Same goes for Saka at Arsenal.
Squad strength, especially at particular position, has nothing to do with individual player’s ability.

No shit if Reiss Nelson replaces Saka there’s a huge drop in quality.

City would win the title even if one of those three were injured for a whole season.

Rojofiam

Squad strength, especially at particular position, has nothing to do with individual player’s ability.

No shit if Reiss Nelson replaces Saka there’s a huge drop in quality.

City would win the title even if one of those three were injured for a whole season.
I seriously doubt that. Maybe in a year where they don't have a real rival for the title, like 17/18 or 20/21. However, in 21/22, Liverpool were a serious threat to City, and so was Arsenal in the last 2 seasons.

Who will score 30 goals if Haaland is injured? Who will play #6 if Rodri is out? KDB is the most replaceable player out of the three, but that's only because of Foden, Grealish and Bernardo all capable of playing #10 IMO.

Oranges038

He's a good player, when he's fit. He's not fit, hasn't been all season and he probably won't be fit enough to play a positive part at the Euros either. I don't think many players have ever been out injured so long and so close to a tournament and made much of an impact. No way he should be going. Utd also need a better more reliable left back.

top1whoisman

Scout
I seriously doubt that. Maybe in a year where they don't have a title challenger, like 20/21. However, in 21/22, Liverpool were a serious threat to City, and so was Arsenal in the last 2 seasons.

Who will score 30 goals if Haaland is injured? Who will play #6 if Rodri is out? KDB is the most replaceable player but that's because of Foden, Grealish and Bernardo all capable of playing #10 IMO.
The goals would probably be more spread out. Just like they did in 2021/22. Álvarez is no dud either.

Don’t know. They’d probably play Stones as a DM and give more minutes to some of their world class CBs.

croadyman

Hope we take Watkins and Toney

Ole'sgunnarwin

Maguire great this season? Bloody hell where have our standards gone. He was horrendous last season and has been decent (no more) this season. United and England shouldn't be playing him if they wanna go far. I feel he was so utterly useless that when he doesn't make mistakes, people think he's Maldini.

alexthelion

The issue here is not only you're wrong, but your reasoning is wrong as well. Saka has had another consistently excellent season, being a top 3 most important player for a title challenger team (Rice and Saliba the other 2 this season). Same thing happened last season. Foden doesn't have as much impact at City, and neither is he as important to them as De Bruyne, Haaland, or Rodri. Their numbers are similar. A lot of people choose Foden just because everything he does is aesthetic and pleases the eye. I think that might be the case with you as well. However, Saka is the better player. By the way, had Bellingham went to City, he would have been more important for them as well.

Your reasoning against Kane also stinks.

Absolutely not, that's just the general consensus based on Foden having just had his best season yet
:eek: Joking, right? Right?

Rojofiam

The goals would probably be more spread out. Just like they did in 2021/22. Álvarez is no dud either.

Don’t know. They’d probably play Stones as a DM and give more minutes to some of their world class CBs.
Yes, but these aren't ideal options for a title charge. They could win the title, but outright claiming they would is different. The two main reasons they won it this year are still Haaland and De Bruyne in my opinion.

top1whoisman

Scout
Yes, but these aren't ideal options for a title charge. They could win the title, but outright claiming they would is different. The two main reasons they won it this year are still Haaland and De Bruyne in my opinion.
Still nothing to do with the comparison between Foden and Saka. It’s not Foden’s fault that Arsenal don’t have a back-up RW.

ForFuchsSake

Completely correct decision to omit Rashford. I’m surprised this decision has been scrutinised so heavily.

Despite some good form for England over the years, he’s not been at it at all this year. Gordon and Foden have been several levels above him this year. Then you’ve got Saka, Palmer, Bowen as other wise options. There’s simply no justification to include him.

I can see the reasoning behind Shaw as there are simply so few options available - could argue Mitchell and Chilwell (by virtue of being more available this season, albeit just) are hard done by but it including Shaw is a much easier decision to make than the Rashford one.

JediSith

You could stick with a 433 and play them both as no.8s in a 433 and play a CB at LB (maybe Gomez, Konsa or Branthwaite).
Yeah. That’s probably the way, with Bellingham being slightly deeper and Fodan closer to a 10.

IRELANDUNITED

Completely correct decision to omit Rashford. I’m surprised this decision has been scrutinised so heavily.

Despite some good form for England over the years, he’s not been at it at all this year. Gordon and Foden have been several levels above him this year. Then you’ve got Saka, Palmer, Bowen as other wise options. There’s simply no justification to include him.

I can see the reasoning behind Shaw as there are simply so few options available - could argue Mitchell and Chilwell (by virtue of being more available this season, albeit just) are hard done by but it including Shaw is a much easier decision to make than the Rashford one.
I understand not taking Rashford due to his poor form but why on earth take Grealish?

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Mods, is it time to create a 'EURO 2024' separate forum like you did with previous tournaments? All the Euro threads mixing in with the other topics are a bit messy now.

Patchbeard

If you told me a year ago that Anthony Gordon would be going to the Euros ahead of Rashford I wouldn't have believed you.

Fair play to Gordon for stepping up a ridiculous amount this season. I always thought he just looked like a trier at Everton, was very surprised Chelsea were heavily linked 2 years ago, and then thought he looked like a deer in the headlights for that first 6 months at Newcastle. Turns out there's a reason he was so highly rated at Everton after all.

Having said that he's not the reason Rashy isn't going, there's room for both of them in the squad if he had actually given a shit this season.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I get that but Southgate said he didn’t pick rashford because of his form this season. Grealish’s form has been worse so he reasoning doesn’t make sense.
Skillset. Graelish is unique among england's wing forward options. With Rashford, Gordon, Eze and Watkins can somewhat replicate what he does. Nobody else can do what Graelish does

ErikElevenHag

hoping that this is a shot in the arm for rashford and drives him to perform more consistently.

his poor performances havent really ever had consequences until now. this could make him. of course he could just continue on with his career the way he always has (which is the most likely outcome).

RedRocket9908

Apparently Trippier had to be taken off injured in the 36th minute of Newcastle's pointless post season friendly against Spurs in Australia today, I hope its not too serious.

JediSith

Apparently Trippier had to be taken off injured in the 36th minute of Newcastle's pointless post season friendly against Spurs in Australia today, I hope its not too serious.
Ridiculous when you think the season just ended and euros starting soon.

top1whoisman

Scout
Some reports say that it was a pre-planned sub due to his EURO involvement. Haven’t seen anyone credible say it was an injury.

However if it is, well who knew flying around the world and playing a friendly three days after the season’s finished was a bad idea.

CloneMC16

I don't understand why Shaw got a call up. He hasn't played since February. Throwing him into Euros games after not playing for months seems like a terrible idea. Even if Southgate ends up not taking him, we don't even have a LB in the squad.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Surprised by the amount of negativity about the England squad. I think Southgate’s been as daring & progressive possible, and mainly picking players on form. I think the CB’s in particular look much stronger than 12 months ago, I also think CM looks better as well with the emergence of Mainoo & Wharton. There’s some real quality & lots of leaders in the squad, nice balance of youth & experience. The riches in the attacking players is frightening. LB obviously a weakness mind.
For me England are the team to beat this summer, particularly with Kane & Bellingham who’ve been the 2 outstanding players in Europe the past season.

croadyman

I don't understand why Shaw got a call up. He hasn't played since February. Throwing him into Euros games after not playing for months seems like a terrible idea. Even if Southgate ends up not taking him, we don't even have a LB in the squad.
Can only assume he is hoping that Luke will be able to get fit for the knockout stages of tournament

Theonas

Scout
Surprised by the amount of negativity about the England squad. I think Southgate’s been as daring & progressive possible, and mainly picking players on form. I think the CB’s in particular look much stronger than 12 months ago, I also think CM looks better as well with the emergence of Mainoo & Wharton. There’s some real quality & lots of leaders in the squad, nice balance of youth & experience. The riches in the attacking players is frightening. LB obviously a weakness mind.
For me England are the team to beat this summer, particularly with Kane & Bellingham who’ve been the 2 outstanding players in Europe the past season.
I agree with most of that and think Southgate has been really daring with his squad. I wouldn't go as far as call England the team to beat because as good as the attacking options are, I don't really see anyone who proved they can do it at the biggest knockout games be it CL or international football. They've all done brilliantly in the league including Kane and Bellingham in Germany and Spain but I am not seeing decisive match winners who have done it at the latter stages of the biggest competitions when the pressure is at its highest and the game are tightest. There is nothing to say they won't step up but the jury is still on until they do. France have got Mbappé and maybe Griezmann too. Giroud has also stepped up in some huge games for France over the years. The Germans are playing at home and you never see a German team go this long doing so badly in international competitions. The Portuguese have a squad as good as England's in my opinion and you can also count on an unfancied team that is very well coached and drilled like Italy and Spain did last Euros. England are good but the attacking options are not Ronaldo, Rivaldo and Ronaldinho so don't merit being considered clear favorites ahead of the competition.