England Euro 2024 Squad and Discussion

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
I agree with most of that and think Southgate has been really daring with his squad. I wouldn't go as far as call England the team to beat because as good as the attacking options are, I don't really see anyone who proved they can do it at the biggest knockout games be it CL or international football. They've all done brilliantly in the league including Kane and Bellingham in Germany and Spain but I am not seeing decisive match winners who have done it at the latter stages of the biggest competitions when the pressure is at its highest and the game are tightest. There is nothing to say they won't step up but the jury is still on until they do. France have got Mbappé and maybe Griezmann too. Giroud has also stepped up in some huge games for France over the years. The Germans are playing at home and you never see a German team go this long doing so badly in international competitions. The Portuguese have a squad as good as England's in my opinion and you can also count on an unfancied team that is very well coached and drilled like Italy and Spain did last Euros. England are good but the attacking options are not Ronaldo, Rivaldo and Ronaldinho so don't merit being considered clear favorites ahead of the competition.
Ronaldo & Ronaldinho are 2 of the greatest talents ever to grace the game, no international tournament winner since 2002 has boasted that kind of talent imo.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Ronaldo & Ronaldinho are 2 of the greatest talents ever to grace the game, no international tournament winner since 2002 has boasted that kind of talent imo.
They had football in their veins. It wasn’t a sport for them it was a way of life which they showcased on the pitch. Effortless in every way.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
If you (England) don't win this this year then i don't know when you will. No1 favorite for me.

Theonas

Scout
I agree! And I feel the adjectives used for England's front line should be reserved to that level of talent. No team has boasted that talent and also no team has entered a competition from my memory being tipped as the team to beat unless they were the previous winners like Spain after 2008 or France after 2018. That's why I am surprised at how the England's front line is being treated by the English media as 1) as you say, they are not all time greats level of talent like the 3 Rs and 2) they haven't done it before.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
If you (England) don't win this this year then i don't know when you will. No1 favorite for me.
Nah I would say this England team is a bit weaker than previous years. Defensively not enough. France and Germany ahead of them for me.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Rashford not being called up is a disgrace and has tainted the squad, will definitely fail now unless he's called up subsequently

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I really can’t remember Spain being considered to win that tournament but I might be wrong.
Remember lumping on them when they were 11/2, but I stand corrected - they were second to Germany - who came in as favourites.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Rashford not being called up is a disgrace and has tainted the squad, will definitely fail now unless he's called up subsequently
Rashford being called up would have been an even bigger disgrace

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I just can’t see the hype about this England squad as favorites.

I mean, England, as a nation, already sent a team with Neville, Terry, Campbell, Cole, Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes, Beckham, Rooney, Owen etc…

England have had far better teams with far more balance than this current one.

It is going to be the same story. They will brush the easier teams aside and lose to the first big, organized side they play, whether that be the quarters, semi or final.

There just isn’t enough there defensively and there is no real way to change up the midfield.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Is there anyone who still thinks Mainoo isn't ready to start?

Has to start with Rice behind Bellingham, Foden, Kane and someone else.

NoPace

I don't see why France aren't the favorites. Theo and Mbappe on the left, Saliba, Kounde, Tchouameni and they have good options for the other CB spot and other deep midfielder, Griezmann as a 10. Be nice if they had a proper striker to replace Giroud, but they still look formidable in terms of winning games 1-0 or 2-1.

chris123

Really think it was a massive mistake not taking Rashford. Sure his form hasn't been fantastic but he showed what he was capable of in that final and there is really no one like him in the squad. And the squad overall is just lacking a wing option with genuine pace like him.

And not selecting him over Grealish who's basically City's third choice left winger is baffling.

NoPace

Really think it was a massive mistake not taking Rashford. Sure his form hasn't been fantastic but he showed what he was capable of in that final and there is really no one like him in the squad. And the squad overall is just lacking a wing option with genuine pace like him.

And not selecting him over Grealish who's basically City's third choice left winger is baffling.
I think with Palmer playing so well as a playmaker (while also being Saka's backup/challenger at LW) you could just drop the extra backup 10 in Maddison and keep Grealish (helps keep possession, often a problem for England at some point in the tournament) and bring either Rashford and hope he looks good in training and maybe start him against a slower RB, or just bring Toney to do nothing but take penalties.

Bwuk

I'm not convinced Foden/Saka/Bellingham should be the 3 behind Kane still.

They all float around that #10 position (Saka less so), the side would end up reliant on Walker for width assuming no Shaw at LB.

Likely hugely controversial but I think Foden would be better as a sub and have Gordon start at LW.

Pickford
Walker - Stones - Maguire - Gomez
Mainoo - Rice
Saka - Bellingham - Gordon
Kane​

I think that has a lot more balance too it.

NoPace

They all float around that #10 position (Saka less so), the side would end up reliant on Walker for width assuming no Shaw at LB.

Likely hugely controversial but I think Foden would be better as a sub and have Gordon start at LW.

Pickford
Mainoo - Rice
Kane​

Yeah, I could absolutely see this being the team by the knockouts. Trippier looks old/shaky at LB, Foden struggles to impact the game from out wide, Mainoo (or Wharton, I like how competent he seems at the basic #8 stuff) and Gordon play well.

Rashford not being picked and Kane losing pace and wanting to drop means it's well set up for Gordon.

Wouldn't be shocked if Maguire gets dropped too.

chris123

Pickford
Mainoo - Rice
Kane​

A proper manager would try to dominate possession by playing Rice/Bellingham/Foden as a midfield 3, but Southgate clearly feels like that doesn't have the right balance to it. I agree that Foden/Bellingham/Saka playing behind Kane is doomed to fail.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

Pickford
Mainoo - Rice
Kane​

I'd have Palmer starting...

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Foden looked like half the player with no space to run into yesterday. I wonder if he’s ready to face teams playing very low blocks at international level.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
A proper manager would try to dominate possession by playing Rice/Bellingham/Foden as a midfield 3, but Southgate clearly feels like that doesn't have the right balance to it. I agree that Foden/Bellingham/Saka playing behind Kane is doomed to fail.
Neh they wouldn’t Mainoo, Rice, Jude is the best trio to dominate the ball and be better balanced.

chris123

Neh they wouldn’t Mainoo, Rice, Jude is the best trio to dominate the ball and be better balanced.
Agree with this, but again, do you really think Southgate is trusting an 18 year old? I think he will start with Gallagher in that position and be forced to adapt afterwards.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Agree with this, but again, do you really think Southgate is trusting an 18 year old? I think he will start with Gallagher in that position and be forced to adapt afterwards.
He’s 19, and I do! I think even Southgate won’t ignore what Mainoo is doing.

You might be right though, start with someone else and let Mainoo settle in, which isn’t the worst idea ever either.

NoPace

There is a logic to starting Mainoo and after 55-60 minutes, if you need a goal he comes off for Foden (or if Foden is at RW, Foden moves inside and presumably Gordon comes on) and if you're ahead and want to shut down the game you bring on Wharton to sit with Rice.

Bwuk

Pickford
Mainoo - Rice
Kane​

The Cup Final totally re-enforced my opinion. With no Rashford in the squad, Gordon has to start. Only wide player who'll run behind and stretch.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly

Pickford
Mainoo - Rice
Kane​

Greater chance Saka gets dropped over Foden in my eyes. The uproar of not playing PL POTS would be wild.
They’ll both start because you can’t drop one of them.

FYI, no skin in the game as I’m Welsh but I’ll probably end up rooting for England as I find your football team more likeable than your rugby team.

Bwuk

Greater chance Saka gets dropped over Foden in my eyes. The uproar of not playing PL POTS would be wild.

FYI, no skin in the game as I’m Welsh but I’ll probably end up rooting for England as I find your football team more likeable than your rugby team.
I'm Scottish and no way I'll be supporting them!

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Pickford
Mainoo - Rice
Kane​

Aye there is that play-stretching issue which is compounded by the issues at left-back. I don't know if Southgate is considering or has tried something like this, which would resolve those issues to some extent, getting his two attacking midfielders into the heart of the game.

Pickford
Walker - Stones - Maguire
Trent - Mainoo - Rice - Saka
Foden - Bellingham
Kane​

GlasgowCeltic

Well he got stick for bringing Saka into the squad in the first place and favouring him over Foden Sancho and Greenwood, and he did it anyway, he was right in that, he’s not dropping Saka now

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I'm Scottish and no way I'll be supporting them!
I just feel a bit hypocritical supporting United and hating on England. I just don't think the sporting rivalry extends into football for Wales-England unless we're battling it out against each other.

chris123

Aye there is that play-stretching issue which is compounded by the issues at left-back. I don't know if Southgate is considering or has tried something like this, which would resolve those issues to some extent, getting his two attacking midfielders into the heart of the game.

Pickford
Walker - Stones - Maguire
Trent - Mainoo - Rice - Saka
Foden - Bellingham
Kane​
I... do not hate this. Swap out Maguire or Stones for Gomez and it's actually quite a dynamic lineup which allows you to easily transition from a 3-4-3 to a 4-2-3-1.

Reiver

I just feel a bit hypocritical supporting United and hating on England. I just don't think the sporting rivalry extends into football for Wales-England unless we're battling it out against each other.
There's nothing hypocritical about it. Let the hate flow.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
He is but definitely not on the left wing. Don't think he fits the England set-up unless he's playing centrally.
Or on the right, but shoehorning players in to a position just to get them in the team is one of the biggest reasons why England have won bugger all in the last few decades.

Foden's best positions are filled with players who have performed on the international stage in those positions better than he has