England Tour of India

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
don’t forget it’s hard to be the home side when you’re playing against the darlings of test cricket, the team that everyone else is rooting for. those are test series where you always seem to pick up the most injuries or distractions away from the wicket.

zing

Zingle balls
Why's Atherton doing the sky podcast from India but not on comms? Is there another station he's commentating for?

TheGame

I think it's possible that you're right, but they've kept their options open with some of the call-ups today.

I don't think Safaraz plays for Rahul. Patidar is on the bench, was also in good form and is a top order batter. I would expect him to come in for Rahul. Safaraz bats lower middle order for Mumbai and that (supposedly) counted against him for selection all this while.

Jadeja's runs need to be replaced as Bharat is not great with the bat and is not a #6. They will drop Siraj and bring in a batter(Safaraz) or an all-rounder(Sundar).

It will be the weakest Indian team of 25+ years. I think we can still win, though. The players coming in are talented - as are Gill and Shreyas who are in a rough patch.

It's a shame Ruturaj is not fit. Also - it's really strange that they have parted ways with Pujara so dramatically -- he's piling on the runs in the domestic season and is one of our best spin batters of the last 10 years.
Bharat and Patidar scored centuries for India A against the Lions in their first test then Paddikal and Khan did so in the second. Couldn't really see any of the Indian bowlers having dominant performances and standing out including Sundar so will be surprised if he comes in. They have Ashwin and Axar so they already bat quite deep anyway.

Last edited:

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
No Rahul, Jadeja, Kohli and Shami for the 2nd test is a bit mad. A lot’s happened in this series already!

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Going from Leach to Bashir given the latter’s inexperience could be a bigger loss than any missing players for India.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Going from Leach to Bashir given the latter’s inexperience could be a bigger loss than any missing players for India.
It would mean asking a lot of Root if Leach is out, and I feel that in that instance England would need to bring in Anderson just for his ability to control run rates more than anything.

If Leach is out. I'd opt for:

Crawley
Duckett
Pope
Root
Bairstow
Stokes (c)
Foakes (wk)
Ahmed
Hartley
Bashir
Anderson

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
It would mean asking a lot of Root if Leach is out, and I feel that in that instance England would need to bring in Anderson just for his ability to control run rates more than anything.

Crawley
Duckett
Pope
Root
Bairstow
Stokes (c)
Foakes (wk)
Ahmed
Hartley
Bashir
Anderson
I'm not convinced we need three spinners + Root (so four) - but the fact playing Ahmed and Hartley doesn't weaken the batting is a good argument for it.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I'm not convinced we need three spinners + Root (so four) - but the fact playing Ahmed and Hartley doesn't weaken the batting is a good argument for it.
It was interesting to see how more naturally adapt our spinners were in the tail than others. It's not a terrible argument to include them to be honest. We would not have won the opening test without Ahmed or Hartley's runs, let alone wickets.

The reason I'd opt for the above is, given the experience between the three newbies, I think it's a big ask for them to hold down ends/control run-rates when India are in a position to score. We saw what can easily happen with Hartley in the first innings regardless of talent, it would be pretty painful if our main spinner(s) were having to sift through that/would put a lot of pressure on Root.

TheGame

It was interesting to see how more naturally adapt our spinners were in the tail than others. It's not a terrible argument to include them to be honest. We would not have won the opening test without Ahmed or Hartley's runs, let alone wickets.

The reason I'd opt for the above is, given the experience between the three newbies, I think it's a big ask for them to hold down ends/control run-rates when India are in a position to score. We saw what can easily happen with Hartley in the first innings regardless of talent, it would be pretty painful if our main spinner(s) were having to sift through that/would put a lot of pressure on Root.
Apparently early signs are that the pitch isn't a big turner from the beginning like the last one however it will turn. I think they will wait until they get a better reading of it.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
When was the last time Stokes was a genuine all-rounder?

Been a good while now, if we don't see him bowling again by this summer I doubt he'll bother again.

Trequarista10

Crawley
Duckett
Pope
Root
Bairstow
Stokes (c)
Foakes (wk)
Ahmed
Hartley
Bashir
Anderson
This is the sensible selection. Anderson has done well in India in the last tour or two, not only the control but he has enough guile to get wickets with variations like cutters, slower balls, just out-thinking batsmen, or extracting some swing when others can't.

Root may well end up bowling more than Ahmed and Bashir, so there's an argument to select another seamer instead of Ahmed or Bashir but if the wickets are turning I don't see the point in picking a quick bowler who will end get half a dozen or so overs each innings and bat at #10. If there was a seam bowling all rounder in the squad I'd be tempted to play them but we don't have one.

LDUred

It was a great innings under very difficult circumstances. However, it will be remembered based off what happens next. If India smash England in the remaining tests it will be forgotten (unless our batsmen grow a pair, doubtful). If it's a close series / England win or England smashing India it will be remembered as an all time great inning.

Also depens on Pope's career. If it's so-so, nobody will remember this.

Tbh, India let that match go. Poor first inning batting (attacking shots galore for wickets + Ashwin runout) and poor catching. Then 4th inning is more psychological than anything else. Neverthless, Pope's knock was fantastic. How it will be remembered depends on what happens next.
Pope has underachieved in his test career so far considering his talent. He should be averaging at least 40. It was great to see that clutch version of him in the test arena, performing under pressure and scoring the bulk of the runs.

It was a fantastic win but not having Leach is potentially a huge blow for England looking forwards. I've not seen Bashir bowl in CC but it's a huge ask to step in against India with a handful of first class appearance. They probably envisaged him just carrying the drinks and playing in a dead rubber, but this is really throwing him in at the deep end.

Of course, India have their own injury problems, but they do have strength in depth that England don't have.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
As pretty much expected - Anderson and Bashir in for Wood and Leach.

Good to have a seamer that can hold an end and bowl longer spells.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Yep, get the feeling Bairstow needs to start scoring some runs as if Brook returns, he will likely replace him the line up.
I'd have plenty of money on Pope dropping out for Brooks before last week!

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Yep, get the feeling Bairstow needs to start scoring some runs as if Brook returns, he will likely replace him the line up.
i’m a bit concerned that brook’s got the trotts.

Dan_F

I was thinking this as Foakes was digging in during that second innings, but looking at his recent scores, a lot of that poor form was happening in the shorter formats. The back end of the ashes is probably saving him at the moment.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I was thinking this as Foakes was digging in during that second innings, but looking at his recent scores, a lot of that poor form was happening in the shorter formats. The back end of the ashes is probably saving him at the moment.
Bairstow looked in great nick in the first innings in particular. Don't think a good score is far off.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Bairstow got completely done by two really good balls in both innings.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
The England bowling attack has 188 tests caps between them, so at least it’s an experienced attack…
Despite all the players missing this is still an India side full of talent. They’re still a formidable side and my head tells me they should win the next test comfortably. Yet, this is not a normal England side. Some of the performances & results have been unbelievable. You just can’t write England off at the moment because they can produce something magical in any test in any conditions against any side as the past two years have proven.

Trequarista10

Surprised India haven't picked that lad who averages like 80.

Also quite glad Washington Sundar isn't playing. I don't really know how good he is, but he averaged something like 80 with the bat and 10 with the ball last time he played England. Having Axar at 6 is a lot less intimidating that having him come in at 9.

Edit: checked and he didn't get many wickets. Not sure why I misremembered thay

Last edited:

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
After watching the first hour I have decided 750 is par on this deck.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Very tidy start from Bashir and an amazing first test wicket.