English cricket 2015 - NZ, The Ashes, Pak and SA

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
There is DRS. Did Broad ask for that Voges catch to be reviewed or was it the umpires?

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Sir Geoffrey Boycott: "Broad was unlucky because Haddin caught it."

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Is Ricky Ponting related to the priest with a boring voice from Father Ted?
:lol:

I like him. He's a work in progress but he's already a damn sight better than Strauss...

DOTA

That was remarkably shit from Anderson and Wood...The innings of a couple of bowlers who fancy making the opposition face a few overs before lunch.

Anyway, good score, I think. Expect Australia to get there, past or close, though. Don't reckon this pitch will be bowler friendly until the last day and a half.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Think Aus will end up with a first innings lead which would make the draw the favoured result.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
Ricky Ponting has just predicted a total of 'at least 600' for the first innings. Haven't seen how the pitch is playing this morning, sounds like a big call though

DOTA

Ricky Ponting has just predicted a total of 'at least 600' for the first innings. Haven't seen how the pitch is playing this morning, sounds like a big call though
Looks a bit of a pitch where you have to get yourself out, to me. I don't really know how good the Aussie line up is at doing that.

NinjaFletch

Shocking decision by the umpire there.

I genuinely think he's forgotten the laws.

NinjaFletch

What happened? How did Warner get out?
Caught, was a good catch from Cook.

Was talking about an LBW decision that got over-turned. The ball pitched about half a mile outside leg and I can only assume the umpire forgot that it had to pitch in line.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Caught, was a good catch from Cook.

Was talking about an LBW decision that got over-turned. The ball pitched about half a mile outside leg and I can only assume the umpire forgot that it had to pitch in line.
Oh yeah, i saw the LBW and the umpire must be relived DRS exists. That decision is an example of the benefits of DRS. Pity India won't budge. Cook got hit in the nuts too while fielding :lol:

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
that's how i'd get out of i was thrust into the ashes tbh.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Great c&b from Ali there! We should be able to get another couple tonight and go into tomorrow with the game in our hands.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
WOW!

England are doing much better than I expected and the Aussies are playing far worse than I thought they would. Maybe this won't be such a one sided Ashes series after all.

shabz

England got their tactics right today, Moeen Ali turning out to be a very handy all rounder. Even a case for him to go up the order and also bring Rashid in, if Bell continues to bat poorly.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
England got their tactics right today, Moeen Ali turning out to be a very handy all rounder. Even a case for him to go up the order and also bring Rashid in, if Bell continues to bat poorly.
I agree about the tactics, but personally I would keep Bell for the next Test at least. If he has three more shocking innings in a row then swap him, but until then I think he's worth the risk. The way the other batsmen are playing and with Ali (as you rightly said) batting so well, I think it's a risk worth taking just because on a good day Bell can score almost at will and is great at staying in for long periods and is a cert for a ton+ score.

shabz

I agree about the tactics, but personally I would keep Bell for the next Test at least. If he has three more shocking innings in a row then swap him, but until then I think he's worth the risk. The way the other batsmen are playing and with Ali (as you rightly said) batting so well, I think it's a risk worth taking just because on a good day Bell can score almost at will and is great at staying in for long periods and is a cert for a ton+ score.
It's definitely a fascinating test series shaping up. In the case of Bell I hoped that Edgbaston would be the second test and maybe he could find some form at his home ground, but if he doesn't perform in the second innings then I just feel like the staff will get twitchy. Like you said it is a risk but could be worth it if he finds his form because he is a class player no doubt about it.

NinjaFletch

Don't see why you need both? I saw little from Rashid in the ODIs to suggest he'll offer anything more than Ali does (who is actually a very good spinner, two series where he wasn't fully fit aside).

If Bell is dropped as he should be then Bairstow deserves another shot based on his county form.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Ali and Cook just need to develop a way to hold an end, Ali can chip in with wickets when it's turning or when batsmen get over excited, if he can learn how to hold an end down he'll be such an invaluable player for so long. Love the idea of Ali and Rashid as twin spinners for the subcontinent too, adds serious depth.

ArmchairCritic

Don't see why you need both? I saw little from Rashid in the ODIs to suggest he'll offer anything more than Ali does (who is actually a very good spinner, two series where he wasn't fully fit aside).

If Bell is dropped as he should be then Bairstow deserves another shot based on his county form.
Think Rashid's googly against the lower order could be very useful going forward in the future, absolutely ridiculous Tredwell got a look in ahead of him.

ArmchairCritic

Also worth noting Rashid and Ali will also get better with time, especially Ali who has bowled almost half as many deliveries in First Class cricket as Rashid. In fact Swann bowled more deliveries in 60 tests than Moeen Ali has in entire First Class career. If Giles can carve out an England career I see no reason why Ali can't. Why people are so quick to want Ali out of the team is beyond me, as I said the key for Ali is consistency and learning to develop plans and fields to hold ends down.

ArmchairCritic

Interesting from George Dobell on Ali as it goes:

The "part time" tag is simply incorrect, though. Since the start of the 2012 season, Moeen has bowled more first-class overs than either Adil Rashid or a county stalwart such as Gareth Batty. In that time, he has also taken more wickets at a lower average than Rashid.

But it is fair to think of him as a bowler in development. He did not start bowling regularly until the 2010 season - his sixth year as a first-class player - and, until 2012, had only taken one five-wicket haul. He is not the finished article and he admits he is not, as yet, bowling to the standard he reached against India. As he put it: "there will be lots of bad days ahead."

NinjaFletch

Think Rashid's googly against the lower order could be very useful going forward in the future, absolutely ridiculous Tredwell got a look in ahead of him.
True.

Although I thought Ali was interesting today when he talked about Bayliss encouraging him to bowl his doosra in Tests for the same reasons.

Just think Rashid bowls too slowly and too many bad balls to be successful in Test Cricket atm.

shabz

I just feel as if another spin option wouldn't be bad as it has been a pretty decent summer, not much going on for the fast bowlers and Moeen can get the runs Bell is supposed to be getting and Rashid can still do a bit with the bat as well. I agree Bairstow has been in great form and could also be an option, was just thinking from a wicket taking point of view.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Watson out lbw for 30, how many times has that happened?
There's a compilation on youtube of his LBW dismissals. He's also pretty good at getting out for anything between 20-50. Rod Marsh dropped him during the World Cup, Mark Waugh then brought him back so Australia's selectors still aren't convinced by him but keep picking him.

diarm

Excellent start from Broad and Wood this morning. Tight, accurate bowling.