English cricket thread

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
I think he’s poorly managed. I think they shouldn’t pick him if he doesn’t fit their plans. Picking him and asking him to bowl express pace when he doesn’t seem comfortable doing that seems not right. There is just too much written and spoken about him for a guy who has ten tests.
To be fair, for this test England said they wanted him to just bowl fast and they've bowled him in short spells to allow him to do that and he bowled quick yesterday. Today he appears to be more of an enforcer a la Stokes but the pitch is just dead. I don't think it's the best usage of his skill set but at least there's some synchronisation between player, coach and captain.

I agree there's far too much written about him and that's where England could be a bit more in terms of controlling the narrative around him. Considering we have spent the last few years as a cricketing nation extolling the virtues of Broad and Anderson it's a bit frustrating that pundits and fans appear to have collective amnesia about how long they took to fully settle into test match cricket.

Djemba-Djemba

With the pandemic and how bad the weather has been this Summer to be on the verge of series wins over the West Indies, Ireland in the ODI's and now Pakistan is a job well done to be fair.

I was worried there'd be no cricket at all.

MUM

Hadlee is little mentioned, but what a player with ball and bat.

ArmchairCritic

How does one of the newest cricket grounds in the Country manage to have such a poor drainage system?!
They could learn a great deal from Sri Lanka who often entertain teams during monsoon season and manage to get the cricket back on far quicker than they do in England.

YAMS49

They could learn a great deal from Sri Lanka who often entertain teams during monsoon season and manage to get the cricket back on far quicker than they do in England.
It's a poor show is this. Hampshire and their fond of himself chairman push the ground with all their might. A modern venue such as this should have way better drainage.

Dan_F

Another inspection at 3pm. Might still be time for Jimmy yet.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Congratulations to James Anderson. Truly amazing achievement

Glad he managed to get it today, as who knows when the next tests will be.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Great achievement. Well done.

One more quick wicket & the collapse is on.

ArmchairCritic

Well in Jimmy, next up 1000 first-class wickets. Wonder who was the last Englishman to achieve that.

ha_rooney

Asad should be told to make his own way back home. useless.

ha_rooney

I’m surprised England didn’t give it another few overs.

ha_rooney

Shame bad light and rain interrupted this series. Aside from this game, the other games were quite close and well contested.

I think there was some positives for Pakistan. Young/inexperienced team, particularly the bowlers did well. Once Naseem bowls a more consistent line just outside off-stump, he’ll be a terrific bowler. I think we need to find a solid all-rounder to complement the attack when we struggle for wickets like in this game. Rizwan really impressed me, thought he was our best player. The batting is still an issue, Azhar’s probably saved himself but Shafiq should be dropped. Babar showed glimpses of his talent, the only batsman who makes batting look natural & doesn’t seem to get flustered.

Congrats to Jimmy, great achievement. I think England have found a very good player in Crawley. Not sold on either opener, but having made 200+, I’d keep him #3 and Root #4

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I don't know when it would be possible due to Covid but I would really like to see England play in Pakistan. I've found both teams interesting with their mix of players and they will grow at the same time.

It sounds like the tide has hopefully turned with touring teams to Pakistan - I hope so it is a country I would love to visit personally.

YAMS49

Both Pakistan & West Indies have been fantastic tourists. Huge thanks to them both for enabling us to see/hear some quality cricket.

MUM

Both Keepers are joint winners of the Series. I put Rizwan, in front of Buttler in this one.

England win Series 1-0, deserved, I think.

When will Broad and Jimmy bowl again together?

And, as has been mention, Crawley did a great job, hope he can continue and improve in the Test format, it's not easy at all for these players, respect.

ArmchairCritic

The test matches really fizzled out in the end but a heck of a job from the ECB, PCB and WICB to get them organised and to the players for playing so well with little competitive cricket under their belt.

Hope Jimmy gets to retire in front of a packed ground.

Skills

Snitch
The fact only Murali got to 600 quicker, in terms of deliveries, is ridiculous. Especially when there's only a single over in it.
The other 3 are spinners though. They ball a lot more balls to tie up the ends - they generally tend to have lower strike rates.

James Anderson in terms of matches :

200 wickets : 57th quickest / 77 players
300 wickets : 27th quickest/ 33 players
350 wickets : 20th quickest/25 players
400 wickets : 12th quickest / 15 players
450 wickets : 5th quickest / 7 players
500 wickets : 5th quickest / 7 players

NoMidfielders

Sad to see Roy pick up an injury, hopefully he's back in time for the Australia ODIs. Throughout his career he's played Starc as well as anyone I've seen for us.