English cricket thread

Zen

Under Stokes so far;
Joe Root - 113.80
Jonny Bairstow - 102.33

:lol:

Mcking

They refused to even consider playing their best bowler in these conditions.

Bhuvneshwar Kumar is by far their best swing bowler.
I kept reading before the test started that England won't bat the way they did against New Zealand because India's attack is far better and arguably the best in the world.

I haven't looked at averages and statistics for teams across countries, but I know Jameison's average is very low and considering how well Boult, Southee and Wagner has been bowling in the last few years their averages must be pretty good too, and they've got the game for English conditions.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Bairstow would be on 5 centuries in a row if NZ had put up a higher score... we'd be talking about a record today.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Just checked the score.

Insane result, we (India) don't usually get slapped around like that with our recent bowling attack. No idea what happened, but kudos to England for that chase.

LDUred

Let's suppose these balls are simply pieces of crap that even jobbing club cricketers would look askance at.

Even then, England have still managed to take twenty wickets with them while India have claimed 13 with a pacier, fresher bowling attack.

This is an incredible victory and one to savour. Let's avoid explaining away a great achievement after months of disappointment.

Last edited:

AshRK

Let's suppose these balls are simply pieces of crap that even jobbing club cricketers would look askance at.

Even then, England have still managed to take twenty wickets with them while India have claimed 13 with a pacier, fresher bowling attack.

This is an incredible victory and one to savour. Let's avoid explaining away a great achievement after months of disappointment.
Exactly. As an Indian fan, I won't shy away from saying barring Bumrah and to an extent shami, all other bowlers were crap in second innings. That was the worst I have seen Siraj bowl and Jadeja is never your threatening spinner. I won't speak about shardul as he is a gully level bowler (don't know how he picked so many wickets last year).

It was like everyone was bowling to get hit. You can blame the picthc, the bowl, the wind, the crowd but that was a shocking performance by team India in last 2 days, both batting and bowling.

Mcking

And they took 20 wickets in all four matches if I recall correctly - three at least. The sheer rate they scored meant they always had the time to win.

TheGame

Exactly, its the same for both teams. I think NZ and India haven't utilised the spin options very well. It would have been far more challenging had India had Ashwin in the team today.

TheGame

Exactly. As an Indian fan, I won't shy away from saying barring Bumrah and to an extent shami, all other bowlers were crap in second innings. That was the worst I have seen Siraj bowl and Jadeja is never your threatening spinner. I won't speak about shardul as he is a gully level bowler (don't know how he picked so many wickets last year).

It was like everyone was bowling to get hit. You can blame the picthc, the bowl, the wind, the crowd but that was a shocking performance by team India in last 2 days, both batting and bowling.
Jadeja seems to have a very good record in test cricket, just averages above 24 with the ball which is excellent. However he just didn't provide much threat in this game.

Trequarista10

Jadeja seems to have a very good record in test cricket, just averages above 24 with the ball which is excellent. However he just didn't provide much threat in this game.
Averages 20 in India, 35 overseas and 45 in England. Ashwin is a different beast.

TheReligion

Abusive
Lovely watching Bairstow and Root dismantle the Indian attack piece by piece and they rightly get the plaudits however a lot to be said for Crawley and Lees who set up the platform at the start of the second innings.

The bowlers were superb in India’s second too although I think England would have chased down 450 anyway. Ollie Robinson to come back along with Jofra Archer and even Chris Woakes. England have a great talent pool at the moment with strength and depth in all areas. Pretty exciting.

Kohli is quite the embarrassment now. It’s great giving it the big man routine but you have to perform yourself otherwise you look kinda silly.

dbs235

Do we think Root can catch Tendulkar? Needs about 5000 more. 1k a year for the next 5 years seems doable on current form. But better to have the runs on the board I guess.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Do we think Root can catch Tendulkar? Needs about 5000 more. 1k a year for the next 5 years seems doable on current form. But better to have the runs on the board I guess.
i reckon in 5 years he’ll have scored so many runs people will be all “tendulk who?”

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
What India did in Aus was immense and for me they are the best Test side in the world. But to then lose the WTC final, get beat by South Africa away and then fail to beat a rubbish England side seems like a lost opportunity to me.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
What India did in Aus was immense and for me they are the best Test side in the world. But to then lose the WTC final, get beat by South Africa away and then fail to beat a rubbish England side seems like a lost opportunity to me.
Definetly. I remember discussing it with the India lads on here and agreeing they were on the cusp of going down as a top top side.

Fell short in the end.

Zen

On current form, he'll reach it in 28 innings ;)

It was always claimed as being somewhat inevitable for Cooky, but even he stayed, and by the way, he'd still be England's best choice for opener, he would of had to averaged about 40 to get there ... in 48 Tests I think, so basically no chance, I think he would of averaged about 30 had he stayed on, his form was massively dropping, but still an experienced head and class. Sachin's feat is utterly mental, longevity wise to stay well over 50 average too, players just drift at a certain point.... usually at the point where Root is now, around the 100 Test mark, yet he's actually somehow peaking as a batsman. So it's a potentially genuine shot, but like Jimmy and the wickets, knock em off one at a time while just enjoying it more than anything.

Last edited:

zing

Zingle balls
I think he will

Mcking

After this series, Brook is going to be guaranteed a 10 crore ipl contract next year. Fantastic batter.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
India played really well there. Pandya had a great match.
I'm a huge fan of Pandya. Somebody of his talent I'd have him in the Test team as well myself. Love everything about the way he approaches the game. The only genuine all rounder in the world better than Stokes?

TheGame

I'm a huge fan of Pandya. Somebody of his talent I'd have him in the Test team as well myself. Love everything about the way he approaches the game. The only genuine all rounder in the world better than Stokes?
I don’t think he is better than Stokes. Stokes has been performing consistently in all 3 formats for a while now. Pandya can’t even get into the test team.

TwoSheds

I don’t think he is better than Stokes. Stokes has been performing consistently in all 3 formats for a while now. Pandya can’t even get into the test team.
And maybe there's a reason for that. Or maybe he just hasn't been given the chance. Can't see why you would want Shardul ahead of him for example myself. Also not sure if being great in all 3 formats is the best yardstick anyway. Buttler is the best one day batsman in the world at the moment, not sure I'm putting e.g. Rohit ahead of him just because he does ok in Tests as well.

TheGame

And maybe there's a reason for that. Or maybe he just hasn't been given the chance. Can't see why you would want Shardul ahead of him for example myself. Also not sure if being great in all 3 formats is the best yardstick anyway. Buttler is the best one day batsman in the world at the moment, not sure I'm putting e.g. Rohit ahead of him just because he does ok in Tests as well.
But you referred to him as the best all rounder in world cricket which means you would have to be good across all formats to be called that. It looks like Ashwin is competing with Shardaul for that test spot not Pandya. He’s played 11 matches with one century so decent but not exciting record. Stokes has shown he is great across all 3 formats. Calling someone the best one day batsmen is fine because you are referring to them in one format.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
It was an impressive performance by the Indian team to be fair yesterday. The batters seemed to have worked out that it's about going hard at the powerplay rather than preserving wickets for the end and the bowling was just too good with the new ball.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Missed it yesterday, looks like it was surprisingly one sided. I'd expect England to bounceback.

TwoSheds

But you referred to him as the best all rounder in world cricket which means you would have to be good across all formats to be called that. It looks like Ashwin is competing with Shardaul for that test spot not Pandya. He’s played 11 matches with one century so decent but not exciting record. Stokes has shown he is great across all 3 formats. Calling someone the best one day batsmen is fine because you are referring to them in one format.
All rounder means you can bat, bowl and field. Not that you can do all those things in all 3 formats. It's just an opinion, which of course are famously like arseholes. I think Hardik is absolute class though, for me he's good enough to do it in tests but clearly the India management don't agree for whatever reason.

TheGame

All rounder means you can bat, bowl and field. Not that you can do all those things in all 3 formats. It's just an opinion, which of course are famously like arseholes. I think Hardik is absolute class though, for me he's good enough to do it in tests but clearly the India management don't agree for whatever reason.
Fully aware what all rounder means thanks.:). I think he’s good but not as good as Stokes. He probably could play as the 4th seamer in the test side on seamer friendly pitches.

TwoSheds

Fully aware what all rounder means thanks.:). I think he’s good but not as good as Stokes. He probably could play as the 4th seamer in the test side on seamer friendly pitches.
I'd have him in there as a batsman alone personally and I think he's a better bowler than Shardul too. Who knows though, moot point unless they try it.