English cricket thread

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Class performance by England. Just can’t imagine how you can go to the World Cup without Brook
Yeah, for the WC they should sacrifice somebody else for Stokes really, possibly even Root. I think Brook’s going to be an all time great. I remember the Aussie bowlers commenting after the Ashes that they were relieved not having to face Brook for while, says it all really.

LDUred

Leaving Brook out is insane. He is absolute gold.

Last edited:

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
First England T20 win since the World Cup final! Honestly they have to find a way to get Brook in ahead of Roy at this point for the World Cup

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Will jacks looking really good too. Kind of shit that Bairstow,Roy and Livingstone look so out of touch while the ones not in the squad look superb.

LDUred

Maybe England are taking into consideration the dew factor and how dominant spin will be. Experience of that counts for a lot.

It's still harsh on Brook, who is growing in stature all the time, but the conditions are likely to be pivotal.

FlawlessThaw

England T20 on terrestrial TV for once and they are playing they really aren't selling it!

FlawlessThaw

Bairstow's just turned it on in the last couple of overs

I like Malan in the squad for the ODIs, but he should be nowhere near this T20 side. If you can't get into Trent Rockets, shouldn't be playing for England.

My god what a shot by Brook!

arnie_ni

Maybe England are taking into consideration the dew factor and how dominant spin will be. Experience of that counts for a lot.

It's still harsh on Brook, who is growing in stature all the time, but the conditions are likely to be pivotal.
Hes class against spin though. I still think they have to find a way to get him into the starting 11 let alone the squad.

Honestly I don't think stokes should be in thr team ahead of him if he can't bowl but it'd probably be malan I'd drop. Buttler open with Johnny, root 3, Brook 4, stokes 5.

Last edited:

Dan_F

I don’t see any way that Brooks can be kept out of the team. He can play at a test match strike rate and offer more than Malan at the moment.

There’s a hell of a lot of cricket to be played in the next four weeks, but hopefully Buttler doesn’t get too generous dropping down the order. Can’t have him coming in undercooked. I’m not a massive fan of playing so many games against Ireland.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Surely England just open with Root and get Brook in that middle order. Roy’s weakness vs spin and general lack of form isn’t as appealing.

ArmchairCritic

Would you not open with malan or buttler before root
In ODI’s? I think you want Buttler to manage the chase alongside Stokes. You could go to Malan at the top but the risk is him/Root/Stokes do a bit too much anchoring.

ArmchairCritic

Who would you have batting 3?
Personally I’d go:

Root
Bairstow
Stokes
Brook
Buttler
Livingstone
Ali
Curran
Woakes
Rashid
Wood

Appreciate that’s quite a carve up of the top order on the eve of a World Cup though. Could go Buttler at the top with Root, Stokes and Brook as your 3,4,5 but opening/keeping/captaining is draining, at least Buttler has the familiarity of opening in white ball cricket in India.

I feel like if you have Malan open and you want Brook in the team you’re a bowler short unless Root/Stokes can give you 4-7 overs a game i.e.:

Malan
Bairstow
Root
Stokes
Brook
Buttler
Livingstone/Ali
Curran
Woakes
Rashid
Wood

The second spinner slot kind of messes England up, I’d happily have Curran & Woakes @ 7,8 if we had another proper spinner we could call on. Also I don’t like where Buttler ends up in this second side.

Last edited:

Trequarista10

Joe Root has opened once in ODIs. He scored 100*.

I'd have any of Root, Stokes, Buttler, Brook, Ali or Livingstone opening if it meant fitting Brook into the side.

IRN-BRUno

At least it's a good problem to have! Yesterday's innings was made better by everyone else on both sides not looking completely comfortable, even Bairstow struggled for a fair bit despite batting through. In the end I thought England's total was probably 25-30 over par and that was mostly down to Brook.

Pressure is going to be on a few guys during the ODIs which isn't a bad thing, there's always the chance someone picks up an injury too. Either way though I think Brook will come in for someone.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
The warm up ODI's are going to have alot of pressure on them for the batting order due to the squad depth - can only be a good thing. I really don't mind who makes up the top 7 come October.

IRN-BRUno

Brook also in the squad for the Ireland series;

Rehan Ahmed, Harry Brook, Brydon Carse, Zak Crawley (captain), Ben Duckett (vice-captain), Sam Hain, Will Jacks, Craig Overton, Matthew Potts, Phil Salt, George Scrimshaw, Jamie Smith, Luke Wood

Dan_F

Why are England playing three one day games before a World Cup without any of the World Cup squad playing :lol:

Definitely didn’t know that when I paid £45 for a ticket.

ChrisNelson

I'd be more worried about George Scrimshaw! As a Derbyshire fan I really don't see what the fuss is about, plus if he was that good I'd have thought he would have attracted interest from better counties than Northamptonshire, who he's joining next season.

Not been a good week for me cricket wise, I was at the first two days of Yorkshire v Derbyshire at Scarborough and we ended up losing heavily.

Then I was at Trent Bridge for the Mens match vs. New Zealand where without Jonny Bairstow it would have been a very short match.

And last night, just down the road at Derby for the Womens match and just an absolute train wreck of a start, poor shot first ball which set the tone then a disastrous run-out on what looked an easy two.

I do agree that the Ireland series seems a bit pointless without the World Cup squad because many will have bought tickets without knowing that was the plan.

Having said that it could unearth a new gem for the future.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I think there isn’t a lot that you learn from that series if you play the first team. If your big players do well then people believe well it’s just Ireland and if they don’t do well then you start getting doubts over the squad.

Overall from a WC perspective this is the opposite of 2019 for England. That was a well settled team with a proper plan and players at their peak coming in with good prep. 2023 team is still unsettled and coming in with very little ODI cricket. They are basically relying on the quality players doing well when it matters. There is definitely a possibility that it all goes tits up

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
It's looking like a very casual and potentially over-confident lead in. But then if any team can get away with that it's this England one.

It does feel like a disaster or we win it. No in-between.

Dan_F

I think there isn’t a lot that you learn from that series if you play the first team. If your big players do well then people believe well it’s just Ireland and if they don’t do well then you start getting doubts over the squad.

Overall from a WC perspective this is the opposite of 2019 for England. That was a well settled team with a proper plan and players at their peak coming in with good prep. 2023 team is still unsettled and coming in with very little ODI cricket. They are basically relying on the quality players doing well when it matters. There is definitely a possibility that it all goes tits up
I assumed that the likes of Stokes, Root, Malan, Roy would be getting more time in the middle, but didn’t realise at the time we had a couple of warm up games in India starting four days after the last Ireland game.

I have to be honest, I don’t even understand the point of the T20s against New Zealand, unless we’re contractually obligated to play a certain amount in a summer. It would have made more sense to play another ODI series surely.

IRN-BRUno

Roy has a back spasm and Bairstow not risked with his shoulder issue so Brook opens.