English & Irish Cricket Summer 2018

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Well at least Rishabh finally got into the squad, incredible that he is in the test squad but wasn't in for Odi's and t20's

JohnnyKills

Will India go in with three spinners (Ashwin, Jadeja and Kuldeep?)

I'd certainly be tempted even if it only means two seamers. Umesh is a good bowler and Kumar will do well in our conditions but spin is very much India's strength.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú

I'd certainly be tempted even if it only means two seamers. Umesh is a good bowler and Kumar will do well in our conditions but spin is very much India's strength.
3 spinners would be an overkill in England, Kohli is more likely to go in with 4 seamers than 3 spinners

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United

Don't think it'll be possible:

Rahul (Dhawan) Vijay Pujara Kohli Rahane Karthik (wk) as the top 6.

Pandya as the allrounder.

Ashwin, Shami, Sharma and Yadav as the lone spinner and seamers, respectively.

JohnnyKills

Don't think it'll be possible:

Rahul (Dhawan) Vijay Pujara Kohli Rahane Karthik (wk) as the top 6.

Pandya as the allrounder.
Thanks
Ashwin, Shami, Sharma and Yadav as the lone spinner and seamers, respectively.
Is Pandya more likely to take wickets than Jadeja?

Have to remember that there's been a ridiculous heatwave in the UK so the pitches will be a lot dryer than normal. Look at the wickets we've had for the ODIs.

Di Maria's angel

Is Pandya more likely to take wickets than Jadeja?

Have to remember that there's been a ridiculous heatwave in the UK so the pitches will be a lot dryer than normal. Look at the wickets we've had for the ODIs.
Yeah, it depends on the wickets. Can't see Pandya being dropped just yet, he's the only fast bowling allrounder we have, it'll be one of the seamers to give way if Jadeja is to play.

JohnnyKills

Yeah, it depends on the wickets. Can't see Pandya being dropped just yet, he's the only fast bowling allrounder we have, it'll be one of the seamers to give way if Jadeja is to play.
Jadeja's a good batsman as well though isn't he. He batted six the last time India were here if I'm not wrong.

If you've got Ashwin at 6 and Karthik at 7 you've got plenty of middle-order strength. Jadeja's a great option to come in next.

Maybe I'm biased as i bowled SLA myself, but I'd ask a simple question: who's more likely to get wickets on dry, late-season wickets? Pandya bowling straight up-and-down seam, or Jadeja driving it into the pitch and turning it away from the bat at pace? My money's on the latter.

If you get a green wicket you can always change it round and go three seamers. Just think Jadeja's a better default option as the fifth bowker.

Di Maria's angel

Jadeja's a good batsman as well though isn't he. He batted six the last time India were here if I'm not wrong.

If you've got Ashwin at 6 and Karthik at 7 you've got plenty of middle-order strength. Jadeja's a great option to come in next.

Maybe I'm biased as i bowled SLA myself, but I'd ask a simple question: who's more likely to get wickets on dry, late-season wickets? Pandya bowling straight up-and-down seam, or Jadeja driving it into the pitch and turning it away from the bat at pace? My money's on the latter.

If you get a green wicket you can always change it round and go three seamers. Just think Jadeja's a better default option as the fifth bowker.
Not really. He'd bat below Ashwin, Pandya and Karthik, if all were playing. Like I said, if the pitches are dry, then it's a choice between Jadeja or Kuldeep.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Terrific T20 game between Lancashire & Yorkshire. Lancashire holding on for the win.

Root continues his good form in limited overs cricket.

Terrific T20 game between Lancashire & Yorkshire. Lancashire holding on for the win.

Root continues his good form in limited overs cricket.
It was bloody brilliant
Great atmosphere, probably as everyone had a bit more time to get drunk

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Jordan Clark has just taken a hat-trick on the first morning of the Roses clash @ Old Trafford in the Specsavers County Championship Division One match, his victims being Root, Williamson and Bairstow - seriously doubt anybody in any format of the game has ever bettered that.

Di Maria's angel

Jordan Clark has just taken a hat-trick on the first morning of the Roses clash @ Old Trafford in the Specsavers County Championship Division One match, his victims being Root, Williamson and Bairstow - seriously doubt anybody in any format of the game has ever bettered that.

Di Maria's angel

Nah, not having that, wickets 6, 7, 8 and 9 in a ODI is not comparable to dismissing 3 of the top 10/12 batsmen currently in World cricket in a Roses clash, impressive though
That's a World Cup match, where SA needed 4 runs in 6 overs to win. Malinga almost won them the match with an incredible over - maybe the best ever in ODI cricket. International cricket is an utterly different ball park to County level.

Also, he dismissed Kallis, Pollock, Hall and Ntini. 1 WC batsmen (and one of the greatest of all time), 1 WC allrounder, a very good allrounder and a bowler.

Last edited:

Class of 63

Sourness
That's a World Cup match, where SA needed 4 runs in 6 overs to win. Malinga almost won them the match with an incredible over - maybe the best ever in ODI cricket. International cricket is an utterly different ball park to County level.

Also, he dismissed Kallis, Pollock, Hall and Ntini. 1 WC batsmen (and one of the greatest of all time), 1 WC allrounder, a very good allrounder and a bowler.
I remember watching it 'live', a hell of an achievement from Malinga, but hat-tricks are ten a penny in ODI's more so when teams are chasing targets, whereas Clark's hat-trick is the first in a Roses clash @ Old Trafford since 1933.

paulscholes18

Not been fantastic from the England test team players Root scoring a total of 25 runs, Jennings 52, Buttler 62, with Anderson (match figures 2/90) being completely out bowled teammates Onions (5/92) and Clark (7/97).

Wonder if the selectors are thinking of Rory Burns (I know he only scored a few runs vs India A) he scored his 3rd 150+ of the season, and the leading run scorer in CC this season

Class of 63

Sourness
Not been fantastic from the England test team players Root scoring a total of 25 runs, Jennings 52, Buttler 62, with Anderson (match figures 2/90) being completely out bowled teammates Onions (5/92) and Clark (7/97).

Wonder if the selectors are thinking of Rory Burns (I know he only scored a few runs vs India A) he scored his 3rd 150+ of the season, and the leading run scorer in CC this season
I thought he'd have got a chance before Stoneman to be honest, but the fact he was skipper of the 'A' team suggest he's seriously being considered by the selectors for the Test team, though I think Cook and Jennings will open against India, and probably will for most of the series, but if Burns keeps putting out the big scores he'll get his chance sooner or later.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

The people he dismissed (Butt, Younis, Yousuf) were *maybe* a level lower but the match was at a much higher level/stakes, and it was brilliant bowling for all 3.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

The people he dismissed (Butt, Younis, Yousuf) were *maybe* a level lower but the match was at a much higher level/stakes, and it was brilliant bowling for all 3.
Not Butt, but Youhana and Khan were World Class.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
Jim Laker took 19 wickets in a single test match against Australia, taking all the wickets in the second innings. A feat that's been accomplished only once in international cricket since then.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Remember watching that game, somehow Pakistan were able to win & win quite easily.

Wish they’d play a Test series somewhere, been far too long.

Di Maria's angel

Remember watching that game, somehow Pakistan were able to win & win quite easily.

Wish they’d play a Test series somewhere, been far too long.
I still cannot believe we lost this match. We had Pakistan 36-6 and ended up losing by 400 runs or something.

Class of 63

Sourness
Just? Nah, not having it. Pathan hattrick was huge whereas clark's is in a first class game.
Pathan was India's opening bowler with the advantage the batsmen were still adjusting to the conditions, and not sure how the pitch would play, Jordan Clark(Lancashire's 5th or 6th choice seamer)was bowling just before lunch with Yorkshire in control at 59-1 and playing out time.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Pathan's was probably more impressive but largely because it's India vs Pakistan in a test series. You still have to hand it to Clark for getting 2 of the big 4 and one of the best wicketkeeper-batsman out in the world in a Roses match. Considering the calibre of the batsman and the fact that not many Test series will be as intense as a Roses game, fair play.

Last edited:

KM

Dhawan getting out on the first ball in a tour match is typical Dhawan really

NinjaFletch

Don't be silly, 20 wickets at 20.35 in the series. Its strange as he doesnt play 4 day cricket for Yorkshire however he could be a useful player in the test arena if he can find some consistency.
Absolutely no one, at all, whatsoever was picking him in their test squad until that ball to Kohli despite how well he bowled in the ODIs.

There's no doubt he's a good white ball spinner, but there's significant doubt that he was ever a good red ball spinner, and he jacked it in refusing the opportunity to even play in the most recent Roses match. Whether he's the right player or not, he's made himself unavailable for red ball cricket and should have to live with the consequences of that decision.

It's an absolutely horrific decision in terms of logic, consistency, and respect for the county game.

TheGame

Absolutely no one, at all, whatsoever was picking him in their test squad until that ball to Kohli despite how well he bowled in the ODIs.

There's no doubt he's a good white ball spinner, but there's significant doubt that he was ever a good red ball spinner, and he jacked it in refusing the opportunity to even play in the most recent Roses match. Whether he's the right player or not, he's made himself unavailable for red ball cricket and should have to live with the consequences of that decision.

It's an absolutely horrific decision in terms of logic, consistency, and respect for the county game.
I do agree there should be a consistent approach, if he wasn't playing for his county in the long form then he perhaps shouldn't be playing for his country until he has started playing for his county again. His problem has always been his consistency in test matches and until he resolves that, he will have the same issues.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Don't be silly, 20 wickets at 20.35 in the series. Its strange as he doesnt play 4 day cricket for Yorkshire however he could be a useful player in the test arena if he can find some consistency.
6 wickets at 24.83, in the ODI's against India, I make it. 2 at 43 in the T20.

Most of his wickets came against that abysmal Australian side.

And, yeah, hasn't played first class cricket since September.

I'm with Ninja - he's picked because of the Kohli ball.

NinjaFletch

I do agree there should be a consistent approach, if he wasn't playing for his county in the long form then he perhaps shouldn't be playing for his country until he has started playing for his county again. His problem has always been his consistency in test matches and until he resolves that, he will have the same issues.

Well exactly, last time we saw Rashid play red ball cricket we saw him bowl between 4 and 5 good balls an over and 1 or 2 hit me balls, hence his test economy of 3.87 and average of 42.

Have we really seen anything to suggest that won't be the case?

There's always an issue with picking red ball cricketers for white ball skills, and the biggest danger lies with leg spinners – a point ably demonstrated by probably the worlds best white ball leg spinner in Rashid Khan getting absolutely flogged on his test debut.

KM

Doesn't it also completely undermines county? Bizzare decision.