English & Irish Cricket Summer 2018

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Summer is set it up well for India. Dry pitches. If they can't take advantage I'd be very disappointed if I were a India fan.
I don't think it's that simple. We're actually not that good against spin ourselves. Our best players of the turning ball across all formats are Vijay and Pujara - the rest don't inspire a lot of confidence.

Reddevildans

Looking forward to the tests. Think both teams could win heavy in any test and the series could well be drawn. Looks like the dry weather will continue towards August so wouldn't be surprised if the wickets turned earlier than expected. Both teams are very evenly matched in English conditions but this time India do possess quality pace bowlers.
England will have to step up a gear if they want to win the test series.

JohnnyKills

I see what you're saying but we didnt get to number 1 without a really good set of bowlers. We're in no need of bowler of the ilk of Rabada or Steyn as we have, for the first time in a while, a complete set of quality fast bowlers with different and useful attributes. Add to that, we have four WC spinners for each form of the game who will rip through most teams.
Look at this ODI series mate. India's seamers have barely troubled the England batsman and have been going at sixes. I'm sure the pace attack will be stronger with Kumar back but still feel it could be better.

MJJ

Look at this ODI series mate. India's seamers have barely troubled the England batsman and have been going at sixes. I'm sure the pace attack will be stronger with Kumar back but still feel it could be better.
Kumar is a star though, his performance in the CL final was awesome but I do get what you mean. They dont really have one pacer who can change the match on his own frequently.

Di Maria's angel

Why look at this series when our best bowlers aren't even there? Kaul is making his debut, Yadav is an awful ODI bowler and Pandya is an allrounder.

Di Maria's angel

Seen comments on BBC 606 saying that India fixed the last 20 overs :lol:.

The internet is full of so many stupid people.

JohnnyKills

Seen comments on BBC 606 saying that India fixed the last 20 overs :lol:.

The internet is full of so many stupid people.
It's easy to see why people would think that given previous events.

But fixing has generally thrived on underpaid players playing in meaningless games. India (and Dhoni in particular) are hugely well-paid and this is a major series.

Also, if Dhoni had been fixing, he'd have done it more subtly. There's plenty of ways to score slowly without needing to block.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
That's because it's a backup pacebowling attack. Bumrah and Bhuvi are our main first choice bowlers.

KM

Also Dhoni is a disgrace, pathetic innings in the last match. His international performances in the last two years haven't been good enough at all.

Di Maria's angel

If Bumrah's a world-class bowler then I'm a transgender supermodel.
:lol:

I'm just going to say that you know very little about the sport.

Rabada (23) ODI career: 75 wickets @ 27
Bumrah (24) ODI career: 64 wickets @ 22

Bumrah has played 3 test matches and those were in SA where he averaged 25. Bumrah is the best limited overs bowler in the world.

Di Maria's angel

Also Dhoni is a disgrace, pathetic innings in the last match. His international performances in the last two years haven't been good enough at all.
His formula for these types of chases doesn't work anymore. Leaving 70 or so runs for the last 5 overs is a good tactic but he bats far too low to achieve success.

JohnnyKills

I'm just going to say that you know very little about the sport.

Rabada (23) ODI career: 75 wickets @ 27
Bumrah (24) ODI career: 64 wickets @ 22

Bumrah has played 3 test matches and those were in SA where he averaged 25. Bumrah is the best limited overs bowler in the world.
Know nothing do I? Ok so why did Bumrah get taken apart in the two biggest matches India have played since the 2015?

He got smacked around in both the Champions Trophy final and the ICC World T20 semi.
Seeing as you like stats so much, here are his bowling figures:

World T20 semi: 4-0-42-1

Champions Trophy final: 9-0-68-0 (didn't complete his full set because he'd been smashed out of the attack).

Not exactly great figures given he's the best quick bowler since Glenn McGrath are they?

Di Maria's angel

Know nothing do I? Ok so why did Bumrah get taken apart in the two biggest matches India have played since the 2015?

He got smacked around in both the Champions Trophy final and the ICC World T20 semi.
Seeing as you like stats so much, here are his bowling figures:

World T20 semi: 4-0-42-1

Champions Trophy final: 9-0-68-0 (didn't complete his full set because he'd been smashed out of the attack).

Not exactly great figures given he's the best quick bowler since Glenn McGrath are they?
Again, what a pathetic post.

Comparing him to Rabada:

ICC T20: 5 wickets @ 25, economy of 10+
ICC champions trophy: 1 wicket @ 124

SA failed in both tournaments.

Yup, must be an awful bowler, am I right?

zing

Zingle balls
I've not said world class bowler anywhere but he's better than Bhuvi in LOI.
Nothing wrong in saying it. Bumrah is world class in limited overs.

Two bad matches as described above doesn't change it. If two matches were what we were going by, many great players would look mediocre. Selective stat picking doesn't win any arguments. His overall record speaks for itself.

JohnnyKills

Again, what a pathetic post.

Comparing him to Rabada:

ICC T20: 5 wickets @ 25, economy of 10+
ICC champions trophy: 1 wicket @ 124

SA failed in both tournaments.

Yup, must be an awful bowler, am I right?
You're getting more abusive mate. Truth hurts doesn't it;).

Look, India are a good side, no one's denying it. But it's not this impregnable side the BCCI would have us believe.

Your best chance in the World Cup is going to be batting first, making big scores and putting the squeeze on with your spinners. With the flat pitches and short boundaries we get in England now, your quicks won't be effective.

JohnnyKills

Dhoni could be a weakness i reckon. His keeping isn't what it was and that could be costly. Who else do India have though? Is Zaha's batting up to it?

Di Maria's angel

Look, India are a good side, no one's denying it. But it's not this impregnable side the BCCI would have us believe.

Your best chance in the World Cup is going to be batting first, making big scores and putting the squeeze on with your spinners. With the flat pitches and short boundaries we get in England now, your quicks won't be effective.
Like I said before, you dont know much about the sport.

Di Maria's angel

Dhoni could be a weakness i reckon. His keeping isn't what it was and that could be costly. Who else do India have though? Is Zaha's batting up to it?
We have Rahul, Karthik and Pant as a back up keepers. Who the feck is Zaha? He plays football for Palace.

KM

'you don't know what you're talking about'

Always a great way to win any argument.
To be fair, if @Spoony is backing you up on anything on cricket related, then always assume that you're wrong.

and yes you do come across as clueless when it comes to Bumrah.

KM

Where has the BCCI said that it's the best side in the world? Can you provide the link please?

JohnnyKills

To be fair, if @Spoony is backing you up on anything on cricket related, then always assume that you're wrong.

and yes you do come across as clueless when it comes to Bumrah.
Ok mate, we'll see if he turns up at the World Cup won't we. Hard for foreign fans to get excited when he's completely flunked the two biggest tests he's ever faced.

MJJ

Tbf to Johnny, bumrah has only taken more than two wickets twice or thrice in his career if you exclude his matches against zimbabwe and srilanka which boost his average.

KM

Ok mate, we'll see if he turns up at the World Cup won't we. Hard for foreign fans to get excited when he's completely flunked the two biggest tests he's ever faced.
Fair enough but for Indians who have watched him regularly he's an excellent limited over bowler. Question marks over his test career as he hasn't played that much.

KM

Tbf to Johnny, bumrah has only taken more than two wickets twice or thrice in his career if you exclude his matches against zimbabwe and srilanka which boost his average.
Average of 19.5 against SA, 22.75 against NZ and 28 against Australia.

Di Maria's angel

If exclude South Africa, New Zealand and Australia, hes actually not very good.

Typical that you would jump on the one man or transgender bandwagon.

KM

But yeah can't blame English fans for not watching him too much, he's just played three ODI matches against them and he's still relatively young in his career.

MJJ

Average of 19.5 against SA, 22.75 against NZ and 28 against Australia.
His average is good but the point being disputed was if he is a strike bowler who can win matches on his own. While I think he is a good bowler, I dont think he is a match winner.

JohnnyKills

His average is good but the point being disputed was if he is a strike bowler who can win matches on his own. While I think he is a good bowler, I dont think he is a match winner.
This. 100%

Di Maria's angel

An ODI bowler averaging 22 is winning you matches... You're truly just spouting nonsense at this stage.

Guy took a fecking five-for in the final test match, on his debut, in SA to literally win us the match.

Fingeredmouse

I came into this thread thinking: Ah! The gentle world of cricket. In this thread I’ll find some respite from the partizan bickering of the football forums.

Illusions shattered.