English & Irish Cricket Summer 2018

NinjaFletch

Home/away, though? There were just a couple of years where he bowled away like a top ten bowler. When England won in Australia and India, and he bowled well in the away matches against Pakistan as well.

What he's done at home for me is enough to be one of the greatest ever. Greatest swing bowler of all time and it'd be very rare to see someone of his skill again.
69 wickets at 26 away and in the UAE in 20 matches.

NinjaFletch

I remember him being very good in a few tours to India as well.
Yeah, I can't remember who it was he said he was copying, but a while ago he started bowling a scrambled seam and looked just to bowl accurately and get natural variation in the sub continent which has worked really well for him. He averages 24 in recent years in Asia generally and his overall poor career average there is largely a result of 5 matches when he was younger where he got flogged. Same is true for Australia, his overall stats there are pretty poor, but he's had some really good series there (and anyone who remembers 2011 well would probably concede that he was hugely unlucky to average 26 in that series he looked like taking a wicket with every ball).

What's weird is that he's never taken the wickets in centuries like New Zealand and South Africa which you might expect would have the most helpful conditions for him.

Last edited:

zing

Zingle balls
Probably going to jinx him but some good defense from Pujara here..

NinjaFletch

Good ball from Broad to finally see off Pujara.

I know India will take what they can get at the minute and at the very least he's shown he can survive, but I don't think it would kill Pujara to look to rotate the strike a bit more

Djemba-Djemba

Good ball from Broad to finally see off Pujara.

I know India will take what they can get at the minute and at the very least he's shown he can survive, but I don't think it would kill Pujara to look to rotate the strike a bit more
Don't think Kohli is up for many quick singles to be fair.

He was grimacing badly before.

NinjaFletch

Don't think Kohli is up for many quick singles to be fair.

He was grimacing badly before.
He's probably still quicker than Pujara tbf. I don't necessarily mean look to take quick singles (we all know Pujara can't run) but to look to push it in to gaps and score a bit more frequently.

AshRK

Anderson is to England what ashwin is to India. However sad ashwinn doesn't get much respect. Maybe eventually people will realize ashwin's talent and quality.

Hitchez

Anderson is to England what ashwin is to India. However sad ashwinn doesn't get much respect. Maybe eventually people will realize ashwin's talent and quality.
You can't actually believe that

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I thought Ashwin was recognised as the best spinner in the world right now, by a long way!

arnie_ni

If England were to drop jennings for stokes, who is obviously the worst batter, who could open with cook?

TheGame

If England were to drop jennings for stokes, who is obviously the worst batter, who could open with cook?
Its difficult because you don't want to upset the rhythm of the other batman e.g Bairstow who don't open in the longer forms of the game so it will have to be someone else who goes. Probably Curran although Buttler needs to start making some scores soon.

arnie_ni

You think?

Jennings is the weak link. Cook is in poor form but we all know he will score 100 at some stage this series. I wouldnt drop woakes for a similar player in stokes and i wouldnt drop butler.

So that leaves jennings or the new kid..

Cook 1 jennings 2 root 3 johnny 4 stokes 5 butler 6 woakes 7 rashid 8 curran 9 broad 10 Anderson 11

NinjaFletch

Both Bairstow or Root probably could do it (Root is by far the most successful of Cook's partners in this never ending cycle), but I don't think either of them would do it well enough to justify moving them.

MJJ

Dhawan may not be a sehwag but he is someone who can take the game away from the opponent. Dropping him was a stupid decision. Vijay is someone who should be dropped as he has been a certified failure in overseas conditions. Knowing how the selection team has been working they will drop dinesh kartik and bring in pant (who I like). Or ultimately bring rohit Sharma to play the fifth test only to add more pressure on him also and he fails too.
Yeah that's how I feel about him too, unless his replacement performs significantly better he should keep his place. Don't get the hate.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
You think?

Jennings is the weak link. Cook is in poor form but we all know he will score 100 at some stage this series. I wouldnt drop woakes for a similar player in stokes and i wouldnt drop butler.

So that leaves jennings or the new kid..

Cook 1 jennings 2 root 3 johnny 4 stokes 5 butler 6 woakes 7 rashid 8 curran 9 broad 10 Anderson 11
I wasn’t being serious in all honesty. Suggested Woakes as Jonathan Agnew once suggested it a couple years back.

Realistically you’d be best off moving Bairstow but can’t see him doing it whilst he still has the gloves.

Hephaestus

Apparently Anderson doesnt have a 10 wicket haul at Lords so this is his chance.
Just missed out, shame really. Comfortable win but not sure how much can be read into it, conditions were perfect for us. Hope Kohli is ok for Trent Bridge, will be a massacre if he's not.

zing

Zingle balls
Where do India go from here? The options on the bench are useless. Squad was named for 3 tests, might as well get some new faces in now. Would like to see debuts to Agarwal and Vihari from the A team. No more of Vijay and Pandya. I'd give Dinesh Karthik another couple of matches, although he looks the most hopeless of the lot. Vijay has been mediocre for a long time now.

MDFC Manager

Finished inside 50 overs, as expected. Not sure why English fans were worried at the lack of an overnight declaration.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
What would it take to make Kohli's position as a captain untenable? He's a fabulous batsman who the BCCI will not want to piss off but I'm not entirely sure he's the right captain, I suspect Shastri will be the fall guy in the short term.

MDFC Manager

What would it take to make Kohli's position as a captain untenable? He's a fabulous batsman who the BCCI will not want to piss off but I'm not entirely sure he's the right captain, I suspect Shastri will be the fall guy in the short term.
Apart from his team selections (which is pretty shambolic), he's not too bad as captain. Shastri as a yes man coach doesn't help at all. So yes, Shastri has to go cuz he adds feck all.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Where do India go from here? The options on the bench are useless. Squad was named for 3 tests, might as well get some new faces in now. Would like to see debuts to Agarwal and Vihari from the A team. No more of Vijay and Pandya. I'd give Dinesh Karthik another couple of matches, although he looks the most hopeless of the lot. Vijay has been mediocre for a long time now.
Bit harsh on Pandya, think he's still developing and he's showing flashes of capability in these conditions. I think the best thing India could do is have a settled team for the next 3 tests and to stop pissing about with the batting order.