English & Irish Cricket Summer 2018

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Great century by Woakes, he's arguably a better allrounder than Stokes in English conditions.

NinjaFletch

We could have bowled a little better but the contrasting conditions basically lost us this match. England bowled on a pitch which was rained on in perfect swing bowling conditions. The next day the sun is out and conditions much drier. The ball has barely swung.
Tbf it's eased off since I posted that but early doors India could have been right in it.

zing

Zingle balls
An excellent knock indeed. And I actually think when Stokes returns, you should boot out Buttler.
Stokes for Curran surely. Anderson, Broad, Woakes, Stokes is an incredible bowling attack in English conditions.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Tbf it's eased off since I posted that but early doors India could have been right in it.
131-5 on that pitch was very good. Its a flat wicket, the ball barely swung today and was doing all sorts of shit yesterday. Unfortunately for us, we lost the toss and most likely the game.

TheGame

131-5 on that pitch was very good. Its a flat wicket, the ball barely swung today and was doing all sorts of shit yesterday. Unfortunately for us, we lost the toss and most likely the game.
Its not as simple as that. Shami has bowled well but the bowlers have not been consistent. There has been cloud cover but the bowlers need to put the ball in the right places. Having 2 spinners doesnt help. Woakes has had a great game.

zing

Zingle balls
Asked to explain the reason behind India going with a second spinner when conditions were more in favour of seam bowling, Rahane suggested it was Kohli and coach Ravi Shastri's decision to go with Kuldeep. "It's about what captain and coach think. In the end, it's the captain's decision and I felt Virat was backing Kuldeep," Rahane said. "We'll have to wait and see. Because of the conditions, definitely yeah, it helped fast bowler(s). But Kuldeep is a quality bowler. Umesh bowled really well, but it's about the combination and it's about what captain and coach think."

Who is the Indian team vice captain? Is it still Rahane after being back in the 11?

TheGame

Asked to explain the reason behind India going with a second spinner when conditions were more in favour of seam bowling, Rahane suggested it was Kohli and coach Ravi Shastri's decision to go with Kuldeep. "It's about what captain and coach think. In the end, it's the captain's decision and I felt Virat was backing Kuldeep," Rahane said. "We'll have to wait and see. Because of the conditions, definitely yeah, it helped fast bowler(s). But Kuldeep is a quality bowler. Umesh bowled really well, but it's about the combination and it's about what captain and coach think."

Who is the Indian team vice captain? Is it still Rahane after being back in the 11?
Yep Rahane is VC.

MDFC Manager

The problem is that the forecast is crap so every over counts.
It's still a better idea to wait until tomorrow to see how conditions actually are. If it's hot and dry tomorrow too, then England need to ensure they score more and avoid batting again. I'm sure they'd rather not chase even 100 runs on the final day.

TheGame

It's still a better idea to wait until tomorrow to see how conditions actually are. If it's hot and dry tomorrow too, then England need to ensure they score more and avoid batting again. I'm sure they'd rather not chase even 100 runs on the final day.
I think the forecast is bad for both days so will probably be alot of on/off play.

Di Maria's angel

Its not as simple as that. Shami has bowled well but the bowlers have not been consistent. There has been cloud cover but the bowlers need to put the ball in the right places. Having 2 spinners doesnt help. Woakes has had a great game.
Commentary echoed the same. Its annoying but thats the game of cricket. England have had the perfect conditions to both bat and bowl. Im not sure theres a lot more to it. Yes, we could have bowled a little better but were a fast bowler short (our own wrong doing) and had England in a position where, in yesterdays conditions, we could have bowled them out for under 200.

Di Maria's angel

Dont think there'll be play tomorrow. Due to rain all day. Probably for the best as well.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Why are England batting still?

AshRK

Another one gone. Now what will selectors do, drop Vijay and bring dhawan and then after next match drop rahul and bring vijay back. This whole changing and chopping needs to be stopped. Dropping umesh for a limited over flavour of the month kuldeep was a joke decision. This series is turning out to be a bad series for team india. Changes must happen after the series , not in between.

AshRK

Is dhawan really that much worse than Rahul or vijay?
Dhawan may not be a sehwag but he is someone who can take the game away from the opponent. Dropping him was a stupid decision. Vijay is someone who should be dropped as he has been a certified failure in overseas conditions. Knowing how the selection team has been working they will drop dinesh kartik and bring in pant (who I like). Or ultimately bring rohit Sharma to play the fifth test only to add more pressure on him also and he fails too.

Hitchez

I was pissed when we dropped Rahul for Dhawan in SA but but it's become increasingly obvious that Rahul is a poor man's Rohit Sharma. Lose, lazy and lacking any sort of grit. Don't really care who plays, they're both just as bad in these conditions. Wouldn't club Vijay in with those 2 clowns. With him, I think it's more of an age issue and a slowing of the reflexes.

I'd have Pujara in there somewhere. At least the poor guy tries to stick around even if he's eventually quite bad himself.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
To be fair to the Indian batsman, Anderson in these conditions is completely unplayable particularly with the new ball in his hand.

This is true. One of the best out and out swing bowers of all time. True genius.
You can take away the “out and out swing”

If he keeps going he’ll be the highest wicket taking seam bowler of all time, behind only spinners (Murali and Warne)

Hitchez

If he keeps going he’ll be the highest wicket taking seam bowler of all time, behind only spinners (Murali and Warne)
Id still have Akram and Steyn above him who combined pace and swing.

Di Maria's angel

He probably wont go down as the best. The WI fast bowlers of the 70s, Ambrose, Walsh, McGrath were better.

NinjaFletch

He probably wont go down as the best. The WI fast bowlers of the 70s, Ambrose, Walsh, McGrath were better.
Steyn was better too of the current crop.

That said, Anderson is an absolute freak. 140 tests spanning 15 years as a fast bowler and after this current iteration of Anderson after turning 30 has a legitimate claim to be an ATG in his own right: 211 wickets at 20 in 49 matches. It's basically Vernon Philander's entire career.

zing

Zingle balls
Steyn was better too of the current crop.

That said, Anderson is an absolute freak. 140 tests spanning 15 years as a fast bowler and after this current iteration of Anderson after turning 30 has a legitimate claim to be an ATG in his own right: 211 wickets at 20 in 49 matches. It's basically Vernon Philander's entire career.
Home/away, though? There were just a couple of years where he bowled away like a top ten bowler. When England won in Australia and India, and he bowled well in the away matches against Pakistan as well.

What he's done at home for me is enough to be one of the greatest ever. Greatest swing bowler of all time and it'd be very rare to see someone of his skill again.