Enzo Fernandez | Chelsea €121m player

TheReligion

Abusive
That might be the case, but he's not wrong in this instance.
Thank you! I mean fair play to them. Just find it amusing they pull the wool after all this time as some kind of model oppo fan we should all be in awe of. The staff should be able to spot these things..

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
No idea who Ty is but I’d suggest not getting personal as you usually run off and complain about me when you get it back.
Was this about the time you used the cost of living crisis to score cheap point?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
That might be the case, but he's not wrong in this instance.
I mean yes we haven't done great with a lot of youth players which makes it all the more bizarre he wants to rewrite history with the one we were buying patient with and developed to the point Barca wanted him.

TheReligion

Abusive
Was this about the time you used the cost of living crisis to score cheap point?
There’s endless times Dan so we perhaps best not go there. It’s why I usually choose not to interact with you. Can give it out but not take it.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
*in your opinion

Granted @WeePat offers good discussion I still remain mystified why @duffer gets this reputation from. It may have been true in the past but these days they simply defend anything Chelsea related and throw the odd shade on United here and there with some WUMMery.

(Sorry Duffer but it’s true!)
Most of the data suggest that City and Chelsea are at the top.

Well considering Chelsea are under attack quite a lot currently due to being shite, it's no surprise they're having to defend their club a lot.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I think there are more people that would agree with both of your opinions on the academy than what @TheReligion thinks though. You and City have the best academy.

I’ve never even tried to argue that we have the best academy. Others may think so but that’s not something I’ve ever said. My argument with him has always been about Chelsea’s treatment of academy players.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Can give it out but not take it.
That's ironic.

It's hard to ever have a reasonable discussion with you because you just derail threads like now with "they only ever want to praise Chelsea" even though @duffer conceded the wider point and just pointed out you literally choose the worst example possible and still can't accept such when three different posters have called you up on it.

Similar a few weeks back when @WeePat tried to have a reasonable discussion with you over Cole Palmer and you went on some rant about M&S.

TheReligion

Abusive
That's ironic.

It's hard to ever have a reasonable discussion with you because you just derail threads like now with "they only ever want to praise Chelsea" even though @duffer conceded the wider point and just pointed out you literally choose the worst example possible and still can't accept such when three different posters have called you up on it.

Similar a few weeks back when @WeePat tried to have a reasonable discussion with you over Cole Palmer and you went on some rant about M&S.
Ok Dan

Dan_F

The tweet is from 2021.
I know. I’m saying that Barca’s defence is extremely leaky now with him in it. I don’t think clean sheet stats for one season are a good mark of individual player quality. Had a quick look and in 2021 he played 12 international games against Bosnia, Scotland, Faroe Islands, Moldova etc.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
What is the Chelsea academy argument?
That Chelsea either mistreat or are incredibly shortsighted with their academy players. We’ve had this argument a few times over the years.

Teja

Erm, they're quire similar statistically? Enzo has been completely misused this season but is still an elite passer and ball progressor, even if Kroos is still obviously better:

I'm actually really surprised that the Caicedo - Enzo midfield doesn't work. On paper it seems great. Other than a brief stint at #10, what do you mean by misused?

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I'm actually really surprised that the Caicedo - Enzo midfield doesn't work. On paper it seems great. Other than a brief stint at #10, what do you mean by misused?
I just think the way the midfield has been set up is entirely suboptimal. Should be Caicedo and Enzo with 3 CBs behind them and runners wide and in the channels. Instead Gallagher and Enzo have been relied on to carry the ball into the halfspaces quite often and for me it makes very little sense.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Nah Herrera was much more of a terrier type and didn't have Enzo's range.

I feel like Enzo is the poor man's Kroos. In theory he and Caicedo should be an excellent partnership so I'm not sure what's gone wrong there.
Based on what I’ve seen Enzo previously has played too far forward and away from Caicedo. So what should be a top class midfield double pivot has been disjointed.

Today however watch Enzo and he’s playing far deeper and closer to the midfield.

It’s improved Chelsea so much for such a small tweak.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Might agree if he didn't also have that horrible tattoo stamped across his neck.
That's an entirely fair position - it's pretty mad that he's had his forearm blacked out already at his age too

Hardly worth getting a guaranteed yellow just to say “ha” to clickbait articles?
Depends if he gets a second one in my opinion - personally was delighted to see it.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Based on what I’ve seen Enzo previously has played too far forward and away from Caicedo. So what should be a top class midfield double pivot has been disjointed.

Today however watch Enzo and he’s playing far deeper and closer to the midfield.

It’s improved Chelsea so much for such a small tweak.
Good point. Yeah they are a mess coaching wise.You watch them and are never really sure what they are trying to do, just feels like a bunch of players constantly playing off the cuff and making it up as they go which is why they are so Jekyll and Hyde in how they perform match to match.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Good point. Yeah they are a mess coaching wise.You watch them and are never really sure what they are trying to do, just feels like a bunch of players constantly playing off the cuff and making it up as they go which is why they are so Jekyll and Hyde in how they perform match to match.
It's especially evident when building from the back - Caicedo has been left by himself with both fullbacks pushed up and both Enzo and Gallagher absurdly high all the time. There has pretty obviously been zero focus on developing consistent patterns to beat presses.

Teja

It's especially evident when building from the back - Caicedo has been left by himself with both fullbacks pushed up and both Enzo and Gallagher absurdly high all the time. There has pretty obviously been zero focus on developing consistent patterns to beat presses.
This sounds pretty similar to what we do currently and have been banging on about (Bruno / another #8 high up with Casemiro alone). Do you have a fullback that inverts to occupy the space next to Caicedo?

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
This sounds pretty similar to what we do currently and have been banging on about (Bruno / another #8 high up with Casemiro alone). Do you have a fullback that inverts to occupy the space next to Caicedo?
Nope and that's why I'd prefer to play with 3 CBs - especially as Colwill's passing angles are way more restricted when he's shunted out to LB.

In theory Reece James could do this - but we haven't seen him fit enough to know if this was actually part of the plan or not.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Imagine celebrating like that given the season Chelsea are having...remember the name :lol:

They'll probably get tonked by Leeds in the next round.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Yeah I’ve been a very loud critic of ETH this season for us because I’ve hated his tactics, but for all of his faults you can still see WHAT we are trying to do even if it’s a bad plan, especially in build up. Chelsea very much gives me Ole United vibes except you don’t have a Bruno/Pogba/ forward line to carry you to results even through ropey and disjointed performances. You either have to be randomly clicking well like today or it’s a straight coin flip.

Am curious to see what happens this summer because reports suggest FFP ties your hands a bit right now.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah I’ve been a very loud critic of ETH this season for us because I’ve hated his tactics, but for all of his faults you can still see WHAT we are trying to do even if it’s a bad plan, especially in build up. Chelsea very much gives me Ole United vibes except you don’t have a Bruno/Pogba/ forward line to carry you to results even through ropey and disjointed performances. You either have to be randomly clicking well like today or it’s a straight coin flip.

Am curious to see what happens this summer because reports suggest FFP ties your hands a bit right now.
Yeah agree - oftentimes it seems like chaos is the sole objective which is problematic.

Lavia might be an asset here - especially as of our current midfielders he's the one best suited to sitting deep and breaking presses on the ball. I'd also just bring Enzo deeper and play with 3 CBs - our wingers have been pretty useless and I'd rather just use the very attack minded fullbacks we have as wingbacks to provide width.

autopilot

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah agree - oftentimes it seems like chaos is the sole objective which is problematic.

Lavia might be an asset here - especially as of our current midfielders he's the one best suited to sitting deep and breaking presses on the ball. I'd also just bring Enzo deeper and play with 3 CBs - our wingers have been pretty useless and I'd rather just use the very attack minded fullbacks we have as wingbacks to provide width.
Not actually sure he's real.

Enzo played closer to Caicedo which actually allowed them to pass the ball between them at times today. Hope they're instructed to keep doing so because they both played quite well.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Love him. Sublime goal. Great player.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Almost as if playing a deep lying playmaker in that actual position brings out the best in them, who'd have guessed.