Eredivisie 2023/2024

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
So what do you think about Hercules? Can they go the distance? From zero to hero, just like that? I like the look of them, but I wont say I'm in love.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
True enough, although Hercules was just a half god, and Ajax had Zeus as his great grandfather (unless we’re talking Ajax the Lesser). Jesus, why do I do it.
It's not so clear actually. It looks like the original founders picked the name because Ajax was a cool hero from the Trojan War, but reading around a bit, I'm not sure they realized there were two Ajaxes. They're more likely to have meant Ajax the Great I suppose, although his death by suicide wasn't very glorious of course. Not that Ajax the Lesser covered himself in glory at the end of Trojan War and after though.

No matter all this though, today they're clearly a lesser Ajax.

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
It's not so clear actually. It looked like the original founders picked the name because Ajax was a cool hero from the Trojan War, but reading around a bit, I'm not sure they realized there were two Ajaxes. They're more likely to have meant Ajax the Great I suppose, although his death by suicide wasn't very glorious of course. Not that Ajax the Lesser covered himself in glory at the end of Trojan War and after though.

You're all wrong, they're obviously named after the brand of toiletdesinfectant.

(I'm done now, I promise)

Grande

It's not so clear actually. It looked like the original founders picked the name because Ajax was a cool hero from the Trojan War, but reading around a bit, I'm not sure they realized there were two Ajaxes. They're more likely to have meant Ajax the Great I suppose, although his death by suicide wasn't very glorious of course. Not that Ajax the Lesser covered himself in glory at the end of Trojan War and after though.

Ah, they took the cheap way out. ‘Why are your results so dismal this year?’ - ‘Oh, no, it’s not so bad, you just have to take into account that we’re just The Lesser Ajax.’

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
PSV has won the league, congrats. What a shameful draw against a shite NEC. Starting to look like the Feyenoord I know and love/hate

King Kendrick

Supports
Eredivisie
I’m not really sure what to make about the Henderson transfer from an intensity perspective. The biggest q is if his legs can’t cope with the ED, he has to sit in a midfield 3 with Tahirovic next to him, and Ajax already weren’t the most athletic team. However, if he can control the tempo better than Branco, then perhaps it’s exactly what the team needs. On £100k though, it’s a hell of a gamble.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Jordan Henderson at Ajax.. What a time to be alive..
Bigger than the club?

I guess it sounds weird cause I've never heard of an English player (or any player from a top team really) going to the Netherlands for their pre-retirement. The new MLS!

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Bigger than the club?

I guess it sounds weird cause I've never heard of an English player (or any player from a top team really) going to the Netherlands for their pre-retirement. The new MLS!
Robben and Van Persie did it. Robben even came out of retirement for Groningen, so it was a post pre post retirement. Or something.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Robben and Van Persie did it. Robben even came out of retirement for Groningen, so it was a post pre post retirement. Or something.
Yeah, true. Feels different for Dutch players though. And Robben of course was more like a famous museum exhibit at that point...

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
PSV HAVE DROPPED POINTS!!!! It is on.
WOW WOW WOW!!!

Btw, how close is the middle of the table! Heracles in 15th are 6 points off Sparta in 6th (or 7 off Go Ahead in 6th, if their game stays 0-1).

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Bigger than the club?

Definitely not bigger than the club, but I must say general consensus is that Ajax has been able to tie down one of the best (former) players in the world.. I mean.. Henderson has been massive for a great Liverpool side for many years, but the media has been all over it as though we have tied down Messi with some good years to go..

Im very curious how this will pan out..

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Hi friends, I'm going to be in the NL from Friday - Monday (2nd to the 5th). Probably looking to go to a game on the Sunday. I've seen the Sparta Rotterdam and Utrecht games are on that day and I'll be in that area. Would you advise getting tickets now or can I leave it quite late? (Are they going to sell out?). Would be looking for two tickets.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Hi friends, I'm going to be in the NL from Friday - Monday (2nd to the 5th). Probably looking to go to a game on the Sunday. I've seen the Sparta Rotterdam and Utrecht games are on that day and I'll be in that area. Would you advise getting tickets now or can I leave it quite late? (Are they going to sell out?). Would be looking for two tickets.
Go to Sparta, their stadium is fantastic. Not sure how fast they sell out honestly.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Go to Sparta, their stadium is fantastic. Not sure how fast they sell out honestly.
Nice one! Will prioritise them. Just saw their website and it says due to big season ticket sales the only ones available are the business seats!

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Utrecht is also entertaining I reckon... Stay away from Vitesse though, probably the most boring homegames you could attend in NL..
Yeah Utrecht is probably a bit more passionate, Sparta is a bit of an elite club, but their stadium is just so iconic.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Thanks both. Had a look and there seems to be business seats for Sparta c. 90 Euros total or regular seats for Utrecht at c. 50-60 euros. Don't mind doing the Sparta game, looks like a cool atmosphere.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yeah Utrecht is probably a bit more passionate, Sparta is a bit of an elite club, but their stadium is just so iconic.
Sparta's stadium is a bit small I guess, but definitely iconic from the outside. But I have never been to either Het Kasteel or the Galgenwaard, so I have no idea really. :wenger:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Turns out Sparta website is a bit shit in the translation and it's 180 euros total for two tickets. Yikes. Will see if we can get to the Utrecht game.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Think Bosz has lost his touch at PSV. They're now at a 2 game non winning streak. Might be time to thank him for services rendered and feck him off.

I think Maurice Steijn is free.

ArjenIsM3

Think Bosz has lost his touch at PSV. They're now at a 2 game non winning streak. Might be time to thank him for services rendered and feck him off.

I think Maurice Steijn is free.
That game was crap. Feyenoord won and were arguably the better side overall but PSV were robbed of a penalty which would also have meant a second yellow for Wieffer. A game to forget for all parties involved :lol:

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
@KirkDuyt How do you feel about the penalty situation?

Regardless of that I think this game was a Feyenoord fan wet dream..

Big game, night game, start well, get ahead, see your opponent get better and better, get riled up, see your opponent get frustrated, get more riled up, see your opponent get more frustrated, luck out on a drunk VAR for the penalty moment, survive a tight final part of the game, beat your unbeatable opponent.. If only Noa Land and Peter Bosz would have worn Ajax shirts yesterday it would be the perfect Rotterdam evening...

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
@KirkDuyt How do you feel about the penalty situation?

Regardless of that I think this game was a Feyenoord fan wet dream..

Big game, night game, start well, get ahead, see your opponent get better and better, get riled up, see your opponent get frustrated, get more riled up, see your opponent get more frustrated, luck out on a drunk VAR for the penalty moment, survive a tight final part of the game, beat your unbeatable opponent.. If only Noa Land and Peter Bosz would have worn Ajax shirts yesterday it would be the perfect Rotterdam evening...
Obvious penalty. I thought maybe Mauro was offside in the lead up, but that wasn't the case either. Some people claiming Wieffer got a bit of the ball, but even then, the VAR looked at it for all of 2 seconds. I would be furious as a PSV fan. The endless Noa Lang tears are a joy though, such a hateable little cnut.

I don't really care about the cup though, I wish we had beat them in December, because bottomline, there's not that much difference between Feyenoord and PSV this season. They just kept winning everything. Hopefully not winning 2 games will stagger them slightly. Aren't you playing the, in Amsterdam soon? Hope you lot wallop them.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
In other news prosecuters are asking for Quincy Promes to be jailed for 9 years over playing a leading role in the smuggle of 1200 kilo's of cocaine.

Promes replied with a cool selfie with new trainers from his house in Russia. He played for Ten Hag, cheeky bid maybe? Surely England doesn't hand over people to EU countries since brexit.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
In other news prosecuters are asking for Quincy Promes to be jailed for 9 years over playing a leading role in the smuggle of 1200 kilo's of cocaine.

Promes replied with a cool selfie with new trainers from his house in Russia. He played for Ten Hag, cheeky bid maybe? Surely England doesn't hand over people to EU countries since brexit.
I think it's so weird that the FIFA gives Marc Overmars a worldwide ban from football while not being prosecuted by law, where Quincy Promes is charged by law and FIFA keeps their mouths shut...

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I think it's so weird that the FIFA gives Marc Overmars a worldwide ban from football while not being prosecuted by law, where Quincy Promes is charged by law and FIFA keeps their mouths shut...
The Overmars ban is a KNVB one and Promes is a criminal charge. Might be the reason? I dunno.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The Overmars ban is a KNVB one and Promes is a criminal charge. Might be the reason? I dunno.
Yeah, completely unrelated jurisdictions. Also, Promes hasn't actually been found guilt of anything yet (unlike Overmars), so there isn't even a sentence to implement yet, even if football associations did want to do something.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Yeah, completely unrelated jurisdictions. Also, Promes hasn't actually been found guilt of anything yet (unlike Overmars), so there isn't even a sentence to implement yet, even if football associations did want to do something.
Wasn't he already found guilty over the stabbing? I think he appealed on that or something.