g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Eredivisie 2023/2024

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Yeah, he looks promising. Though a bit weird we will break our transferrecord (yes 10 million will be our most expensive signing of all time) for a back up striker. There is no way he's keeping Gimenez from the starting line up.
Surely you will play both of them ?

He seems to be able to play anywhere along the front line.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
I cant believe Ajax went from having

Tagliafico Blind Martinez Timber Schuurs Mazraoui Rensch

as defensive options to

Wijndal Salah Edinne Hato Aertssen Kaplan Rensch Sanchez (1 or 2 signings pending probably though)

in just 2 fecking years...

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I cant believe Ajax went from having

Tagliafico Blind Martinez Timber Schuurs Mazraoui Rensch

as defensive options to

Wijndal Salah Edinne Hato Aertssen Kaplan Rensch Sanchez (1 or 2 signings pending probably though)

in just 2 fecking years...
At least Rensch is still there!

How do you feel about Bassey leaving for Fulham? I'm actually not even sure if that's a step up, down, or sideways for him - but I got the impression he disappointed a bit last season and wasn't a great fit for Ajax, so maybe it's best for all parties that he left?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

How do you feel about Bassey leaving for Fulham? I'm actually not even sure if that's a step up, down, or sideways for him - but I got the impression he disappointed a bit last season and wasn't a great fit for Ajax, so maybe it's best for all parties that he left?
Dissappointed a bit yeah, like Loris Karius in that CL finale against Real or Marcus Crassus in his Parthian campaign (couldn't think of another football comparison).

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Dissappointed a bit yeah, like Loris Karius in that CL finale against Real or Marcus Crassus in his Parthian campaign (couldn't think of another football comparison).
I guess that tells me all I needed to know! :lol:

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam

The thing is.. Bassey became a scapegoat and symbol for the failed last season and the awfull summer transfer window Ajax had and the decline that followed shortly after..

He was incredibly expensive for Ajax and is not the typical Ajax player.. Not the most technically gifted and comfortable on the ball. If you are used to Blind Martinez Timber Mazraoui Taglifico in your back line and suddenly see Bassey there its not difficult to point out the difference.. That being said he was af one point singled out more often and you saw his self confidence fade and fade until he looked like a parody of a football player on the pitch.. I still wouldnt have excluded he would have made a Davinson Sanchez like development at Ajax, who was more valued for his strenghts than his weaknesses (which are awfully similar), but his weaknesses were camouflaged because he had a coach with a plan (God, I miss Peter Bosz..).. It would have been extremely difficult for him though because of the existing skepticism surrounding him.. He wouldnt get a fair change anymore and he would get slayed by a part of the supporters and the media at every chance..

We will never find out whether he was just a misfit for Ajax in general or whether he might have been a potentially right player, but at the wrong time.. I think Ajax would still have given him a fair chance this season and he would have had the opportunity to fight back, but in a summer where we missed CL football which has a huge financial impact for Ajax, Ajax just jumped at the opportunity to sell him with minimal loss.. And I think it's a good choice if we can get this amount for him again as like said above.. It would be extremely difficult for him to turn things around in Amsterdam..

From all the stories and the interviews Ive seen of him he looks to be a great positive friendly guy though for which you only hope the best.. I hope he succeeds at Fulham!

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The thing is.. Bassey became a scapegoat and symbol for the failed last season and the awfull summer transfer window Ajax had and the decline that followed shortly after..

He was incredibly expensive for Ajax and is not the typical Ajax player.. Not the most technically gifted and comfortable on the ball. If you are used to Blind Martinez Timber Mazraoui Taglifico in your back line and suddenly see Bassey there its not difficult to point out the difference.. That being said he was af one point singled out more often and you saw his self confidence fade and fade until he looked like a parody of a football player on the pitch.. I still wouldnt have excluded he would have made a Davinson Sanchez like development at Ajax, who was more valued for his strenghts than his weaknesses (which are awfully similar), but his weaknesses were camouflaged because he had a coach with a plan (God, I miss Peter Bosz..).. It would have been extremely difficult for him though because of the existing skepticism surrounding him.. He wouldnt get a fair change anymore and he would get slayed by a part of the supporters and the media at every chance..

We will never find out whether he was just a misfit for Ajax in general or whether he might have been a potentially right player, but at the wrong time.. I think Ajax would still have given him a fair chance this season and he would have had the opportunity to fight back, but in a summer where we missed CL football which has a huge financial impact for Ajax, Ajax just jumped at the opportunity to sell him with minimal loss.. And I think it's a good choice if we can get this amount for him again as like said above.. It would be extremely difficult for him to turn things around in Amsterdam..

From all the stories and the interviews Ive seen of him he looks to be a great positive friendly guy though for which you only hope the best.. I hope he succeeds at Fulham!
So how are you doing for replacements in defence? Or is that list you posted earlier already final?

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Ah, I see you're a man of culture too. :smirk:

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
So how are you doing for replacements in defence? Or is that list you posted earlier already final?
Apart from that list it looks like we are putting all our eggs in the Josip Sutalo basket, even though there is competition from Fiorentina and he is quite expensive for Ajax standards..

For the rest..
- Wijndal at left back has been horrible for over a year now... Where is his AZ form?
- Jorrel Hato can play left back and centre,.. Looks promising but is only 17.. Played quite a bit already last season..
- Salah Edinne just got back from a succesful loan spell and can play left back, but doesnt look to become a starter soon
- Aertssen is an 18 year old central defender.. Doesnt look like a top tier talent, but dont know him well to be honest. still to make his debut in a competitive game.
- Kaplan we bought from Trabzonspor last summer for about 10 million euro's, 19 years old.. But has been injured since he came.. Yet to make his debut in a competitive game.
- Rensch had a very promising breakthrough 2 years ago, already played for the NT as well shortly after, but didnt really step up last year when Mazraoui left.. Definitely talented but looks flaky.. Needs to really step up this season.
- Sanchez is awful and we should/will probably move on. He was way worse than Bassey, but there was a lot less focus as he was significantly less expensive..

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Apart from that list it looks like we are putting all our eggs in the Josip Sutalo basket, even though there is competition from Fiorentina and he is quite expensive for Ajax standards..

For the rest..
- Wijndal at left back has been horrible for over a year now... Where is his AZ form?
- Jorrel Hato can play left back and centre,.. Looks promising but is only 17.. Played quite a bit already last season..
- Salah Edinne just got back from a succesful loan spell and can play left back, but doesnt look to become a starter soon
- Aertssen is an 18 year old central defender.. Doesnt look like a top tier talent, but dont know him well to be honest. still to make his debut in a competitive game.
- Kaplan we bought from Trabzonspor last summer for about 10 million euro's, 19 years old.. But has been injured since he came.. Yet to make his debut in a competitive game.
- Rensch had a very promising breakthrough 2 years ago, already played for the NT as well shortly after, but didnt really step up last year when Mazraoui left.. Definitely talented but looks flaky.. Needs to really step up this season.
- Sanchez is awful and we should/will probably move on. He was way worse than Bassey, but there was a lot less focus as he was significantly less expensive..
Thanks!

I suppose your hope for a lot of players will have to be that Steijn will let them rediscover their form. If he can handle the pressure of being at Ajax, I'd expect you to be solid (if not too exciting) - which might be good for for players looking to settle back in.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

For the rest..
Is Sanchez really THAT bad? Granted he had some stinkers, but he just arrived and I thought he looked ok for Mexico.

I remember how bad Michel Bastos was at left back for Feyenoord. Only for him to become an integral part of that great Lyon side that won like 6 leagues in a row and was always in the later stages of the CL. Similarly to Bassey, I feel Ajax has overreacted a bit with wanting to get rid of everyone that was poor last year.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Is Sanchez really THAT bad? Granted he had some stinkers, but he just arrived and I thought he looked ok for Mexico.

I remember how bad Michel Bastos was at left back for Feyenoord. Only for him to become an integral part of that great Lyon side that won like 6 leagues in a row and was always in the later stages of the CL. Similarly to Bassey, I feel Ajax has overreacted a bit with wanting to get rid of everyone that was poor last year.
He is probably not thát bad and perhaps he would have a better year than last and could become okkish if we are patient.. But the thing is I have not seen anything in which he stands and/or which I really admire.. He doesnt have the energy and grinta as Tagliafico.. he is not press ressistant and import in build up as Daley Blind and Mazraoui (miiiiiiilesss away from both) or even Joel Veltman.. He doesnt have the technique and energy going forward as even the likes of someone as Sinkgraven or Dest had or Rensch when he broke through.. He is not defensively a warrior like Kenny Tete.. All the names I mention had something which make you look at them and say: hé, you are pretty decent at some part of the game.. And Sanchez is just so mehhhh at everything and its just so underwhelming in all aspects of the game..

And given that Rensch really needs to step up and is not a certainty for the moment (though I still dont doubt his potential), I'd rather have a rightback who can really compete with him and challenge him and take over if he doesnt deliver.. Not just some Sanchez who might have a decent game but is just meh and underwhelming overall.. We could have had Youri Regeer for that..

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Ohh how I envy Feyenoord.. They really have their shit in order, a solid squad with tranfers that make sense.. And a top tier coach..

Ohh how I envy PSV.. They seem to be going in the right direction with Peter Bosz as a coach and Lang and Pepi is the type of signings..

They both look more like Ajax than Ajax does itself.. Its so painful..

King Kendrick

Supports
Eredivisie
He is probably not thát bad and perhaps he would have a better year than last and could become okkish if we are patient.. But the thing is I have not seen anything in which he stands and/or which I really admire.. He doesnt have the energy and grinta as Tagliafico.. he is not press ressistant and import in build up as Daley Blind and Mazraoui (miiiiiiilesss away from both) or even Joel Veltman.. He doesnt have the technique and energy going forward as even the likes of someone as Sinkgraven or Dest had or Rensch when he broke through.. He is not defensively a warrior like Kenny Tete.. All the names I mention had something which make you look at them and say: hé, you are pretty decent at some part of the game.. And Sanchez is just so mehhhh at everything and its just so underwhelming in all aspects of the game..

And given that Rensch really needs to step up and is not a certainty for the moment (though I still dont doubt his potential), I'd rather have a rightback who can really compete with him and challenge him and take over if he doesnt deliver.. Not just some Sanchez who might have a decent game but is just meh and underwhelming overall.. We could have had Youri Regeer for that..
I was going to say exactly that. He has no standout quality that you can at least point to and say “well at least he does that.”
It’s funny though because his metrics on FBref would tell you he’s one of the top attacking fullbacks in whichever comparative group the eredivisie is in in their system, yet the eye test tells you no chance.

I would also agree on Rensch needing to pull his head out and get to it, would be a shame wasting that talent. At the end of the day, i do believe in part sone of their struggles comes down to the board’s decisionmaking infiltrating the pitch. I’m willing to give both the benefit of the doubt with the shitshow that was last season and Megamind, then you realize Steijn is again a defensive manager when all of your fullbacks are more attack minded just boggles the mind.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
Ajax going bonkers on transfers right now. Borges, Ramaj, Sutalo, Spertsyan, Maatsen and Ziyech.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Ajax going bonkers on transfers right now. Borges, Ramaj, Sutalo, Spertsyan, Maatsen and Ziyech.
Yeah, bit disconcerting. You guys all convinced me that you would be fighting for 5th place this season.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
Yeah, bit disconcerting. You guys all convinced me that you would be fighting for 5th place this season.
Ajax convinced me and most of us as well. Time will tell how many rumors turn out to be true. The Borges one I am most interested in. Any United fans that can tell a thing or two about him?

Stadjer

Ajax convinced me and most of us as well. Time will tell how many rumors turn out to be true. The Borges one I am most interested in. Any United fans that can tell a thing or two about him?
All Manchester United fans seem to know is that there is some behind the scenes shady deal with City youth players. City manages to sell their young players for a lot of money while Manchester United manages to sell their young players for peanuts.

Every transfer it is the same type of comments. Iqbal to Utrecht for 1m while City sells a GK to Burnley for way more so something must be wrong. Its quite funny to read :lol:

King Kendrick

Supports
Eredivisie
I’m confident Spertsyan will be the signing of the window if it manages to go through. Ajax should also look into Tiknizyan as well, started off on fire this season, although been excellent for a while now.

SportingCP96

Supports
Considered one of the most talented Portuguese players at the U19 level and was a key player in us getting to the final along with Ruben Ribeiro. He is a fast winger with a strong ability in front of goal. He scored 21 goals in 24 games for the City youth team and I think Ajax can make him into a player.

you also have Conceição who I do rate.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Man, Ajax is going like a train. Someone should tell them that a bag of money can't score goals.

Nearly 20 million for Borges seems like a lot though for someome with no 1st team experience. Any chance he's shite?

Last edited:

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Hato is a very promising player.

Ajax should not however win the league this year. Finally AZ’s turn!

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Santiago Gimenez extended his contract, great success.

Also, Ajax spend 10 million on a 2nd goalkeeper. Bit weird.

SportingCP96

Supports

With Ramos going to PSG I expect Benfica to attack Giménez as main priority now

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
With Ramos going to PSG I expect Benfica to attack Giménez as main priority now
Good luck to them then. If they want to buy him now, they'll have to pay a huge sum and Benfica usually don't spend that much on a single player do they?

No fecking way they'll get another steal like they did with Kökcü.

SportingCP96

Supports
Good luck to them then. If they want to buy him now, they'll have to pay a huge sum and Benfica usually don't spend that much on a single player do they?

No fecking way they'll get another steal like they did with Kökcü.
Between Darwin Enzo and now Ramos they have made 300M. After breaking their record fee for Kokcu I’m sure if they really wanted Giménez they would do it again but who knows.

They certainly have the captal that’s for sure.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax

And you just signed a 5,7" goalkeeper. Strange day for GK.

Stadjer

Hato is a very promising player.

Ajax should not however win the league this year. Finally AZ’s turn!
Right now i think Feyenoord is most likely to win it. Although i want Bosz and PSV win it this year. Tomorrow PSV and Feyenoord play the Johan Cruijff schaal game so that could be a first indication at how strong both teams are right now.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Between Darwin Enzo and now Ramos they have made 300M. After breaking their record fee for Kokcu I’m sure if they really wanted Giménez they would do it again but who knows.

They certainly have the captal that’s for sure.
I don't think we will listen to anything below 50 million at this stage. We don't have to sell more players and we've rejected a substantial bid from Leipzig for Geertruida as well. Think Benfica will have to look elsewhere. Maybe they can buy Brobbey.

SportingCP96

Supports
I don't think we will listen to anything below 50 million at this stage. We don't have to sell more players and we've rejected a substantial bid from Leipzig for Geertruida as well. Think Benfica will have to look elsewhere. Maybe they can buy Brobbey.
I hope they spend 30M on a flop and lose the league. :drool:

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
Think it says enough that no one cared when he joined Ajax after playing for Feyenoord and no one will care now.
Absolutely. It's not Berghuis or Vermeer for that matter. More like Charisteas or Danilo really.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
Man, Ajax is going like a train. Someone should tell them that a bag of money can't score goals.

Nearly 20 million for Borges seems like a lot though for someome with no 1st team experience. Any chance he's shite?
Daramy out for 16 million to Burnley, Borges from City in for 14. Someone pinch me.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Daramy out for 16 million to Burnley, Borges from City in for 14. Someone pinch me.
How the feck do you cnuts get 16 million for Daramy. He's hardly good enough for a mid table Dutch team :lol:

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
How the feck do you cnuts get 16 million for Daramy. He's hardly good enough for a mid table Dutch team :lol:
I dunno mate but there are plans for a statue for Kompany next to Cruijff's.