g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Eric Bailly image 3

Eric Bailly Ivory Coast flag

2018-19 Performances

View full 2018-19 profile

5.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

sugar_kane

Thought this guy would be immense but he barely looks like a professional footballer these days.

I'm sure I read somewhere he only really started training professionally as a footballer very late on, around 16/17 or something. It shows.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Was brilliant when he first arrived but he's regressed a lot since then. Like all of our other defenders he's a complete liability.

dbs235

Been saying to mates for a while I don’t think he will turn out to be the real deal we all hope he will. Too rash for me, too injury prone
The two words you'd use exactly to describe Jones as well. Really needs to be Smalling +1 and I really don't know who the +1 should be. Alderweireld ideally :lol:

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Reminds me of Mangala, all brawn no brain.

If he isn‘t even good enough against lower table PL sides despite his physical advantages, he should look for a new level. Something like Ligue 1 mid table / relegation battle sounds about right. Or maybe the Russian league.

Ekeke

The two words you'd use exactly to describe Jones as well. Really needs to be Smalling +1 and I really don't know who the +1 should be. Alderweireld ideally :lol:
And Rojo.

The real question is why when we had Jones, we then bought 2 more rash but aggressive CBs. Now we have 3 all with the same problem

RedDevil@84

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/foot...ary-13134570.amp?1=&__twitter_impression=true

Sky pundit Graeme Souness claimed Bailly did not know “if he’s in New York or New Year” during the disastrous defeat at Brighton last Sunday.

“I always take criticism well when they are constructive, when they are there to help and I actually like criticism but in a positive way,” said Bailly.

“But what Graeme Souness said was a little bit disrespectful because it became so personal and it’s not the sort of criticism that can help a young player improve and become a better player.”

Bailly, 24, admits that he did not even understand Souness’s phrase but found Neville equally baffling as his comments would be damaging to some players’ morale.

“I think the criticism was a bit harsh, particularly from people who have played the game and have probably made mistakes themselves during their career,” said Bailly.

“As young players, we need support from these people. If we got more support from these people, that can help us. But negative comments all of the time doesn’t help the young players or the team.

“It was not just one individual performance on Sunday. It was the whole team that struggled. But it was just one battle lost, not the whole war.

Ekeke

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Weird timing to comment on critics. He should show better performances, then people might listen to his pleas.

RedDevil@84

Why would Souness be supportive?
I doubt if Bailly has any idea about Sou(r)ness.
Probably thought Souness should be calm in his criticism.

Anyways, the only way Bailly is going to shut the press up is by performing well.

Kostov

He should shut up and prove them wrong on the pitch. That performance warranted every bit of criticism, that penalty basically killed the game for us, and he should as he said embrace the criticism and learn from those mistakes. Something that he has failed to do so far.

SpyLuke10

Wow the idiot rating is very high on this post. Bailly has gone from our best defender to ligue 1 mid table level. lol.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Needs the support from Mourinho, i hope he starts against Spurs. Had a shocker against Brighton but it happens to all players, one bad performance doesnt mean he's a poor player. As with everything our fans will claim he's the best in the league again if he puts a performance in against Spurs.

Does need to cut down on the rash tackles, he's a penalty/red card waiting to happen - that will come with age/experience.

Macca7

Like all too many of our players recently, Bailly needs to shut up complaining and answer his critics on the pitch. This is a big problem with our squad at the moment. All too happy to talk in the media after a loss instead of getting their head down and working to put it right the next game.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Weak mentality to go with his poor defending. He's 24, not some 18 year old that's been given a chance in a league cup tie.

Raven

I hate overreactionism, happens with all our players, a few bad performances (one in Bailly's case) and a player can go from our best player or player in their position to the worst. Its called form. Many things effect form, one is playing in totally inexperienced backline, another is injuries.

If he stays fit I'd continue to start him and Lindelof. They've had good moments and I feel it can grow, injury permitting. Too much scapegoating on here.

Rajma

He’s just not very smart is he and his attitude is not great in adversity, loses his head completely in a similar fashion to Luiz.

acnumber9

I hate overreactionism, happens with all our players, a few bad performances (one in Bailly's case) and a player can go from our best player or player in their position to the worst. Its called form. Many things effect form, one is playing in totally inexperienced backline, another is injuries.

If he stays fit I'd continue to start him and Lindelof. They've had good moments and I feel it can grow, injury permitting. Too much scapegoating on here.
He was never our best defender though. Saying he’s not that good is no more an overreaction than saying he’s great was.

Raven

He was never our best defender though. Saying he’s not that good is no more an overreaction than saying he’s great was.
A consistent run of games to get him properly match fit and I think he's our best CB. Has all the tools, people need to be patient and not so reactionary.

Macca7

Smalling is still our best out and out defender by a mile. Gets a lot of stick for his ability on the ball but Lindelof/Bailly aren't exactly a massive improvement. Smalling needs to be 1st choice alongside someone else until we get a top class CB imo.

acnumber9

A consistent run of games to get him properly match fit and I think he's our best CB. Has all the tools, people need to be patient and not so reactionary.
He doesn’t though. He lacks any composure, doesn’t read the game well, has poor positioning and is terrible in the air. He lacks most of what makes a good defender.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I just hope Bailly's comments about the pundits are something he is using to get himself going. The way they come across is quite worrying to me.

I know these guys are in front of the public eye but I can still remember Alan Hansen slaughtering our youngsters on the opening day of 1995/96. Even after they won the double those kids regularly got annihilated in the press. The whole country bar United fans wanted to hang David Beckham after the 1998 World Cup.

The mentality in this team looks a million miles away from what it was when we were fighting for titles. You wonder whether, even if we're in the title race next May, the fragility in this squad would see it crack under the pressure of maintaining a charge?

It’s good and well saying that if he gets a run of games he can be our best CB, but in 2 years he’s never proved capable of doing so. We are talking about what ifs here. Smalling is our best CB - he’s proved to be so.

Decomposing In Paris

It was a poor individual performance, surrounded by a poor team performance. I hope he plays the next game, but I hope Smalling handles Kane.

TsuWave

"not smart"
"all brawns no brains"

:rolleyes:

i see a recognisable pattern forming here. the guy had a bad game, but if you go look at all the goals we conceded, he was dragged by having to track players that Young on the right should have been tracking. Bailly has had good games for us, in which he read, anticipated and imposed himself against attackers. all of a sudden he's ligue 1 level and dumb. all muscle.

some dickhead opinions

Raven

It’s good and well saying that if he gets a run of games he can be our best CB, but in 2 years he’s never proved capable of doing so. We are talking about what ifs here. Smalling is our best CB - he’s proved to be so.
Well, play him till he gets injured then, if the injury is only another game or 2 away, fair enough, if it's half a season and he shows the talent we know he possesses then happy days. Playing him next to Smalling wouldn't be bad either. Although I really think the Bailly Lindelof partnership could be great.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
"not smart"
"all brawns no brains"

:rolleyes:

i see a recognisable pattern forming here. the guy had a bad game, but if you go look at all the goals we conceded, he was dragged by having to track players that Young on the right should have been tracking. Bailly has had good games for us, in which he read, anticipated and imposed himself against attackers. all of a sudden he's ligue 1 level and dumb. all muscle.

some dickhead opinions
More Young made him kick it out for a corner for no reason?

It's not a dickhead opinion that he was dog shit, it's actually a fact. Give over trying to blame Young.

TsuWave

More Young made him kick it out for a corner for no reason?

It's not a dickhead opinion that he was dog shit, it's actually a fact. Give over trying to blame Young.
I said he had a bad game, but he wasn't alone in it, it was compounded by a terrible team performance, especially defensively, and yes, Young had a bad game and was caught out of position for almost every single goal we conceded. That's factual, and its not trying to blame him. don't be a weirdo, read and understand what's being posted.

dickhead opinions was in reference to "he's dumb" and "his all muscle no brains" (paraphrasing) posts.

Ekeke

I said he had a bad game, but he wasn't alone in it, it was compounded by a terrible team performance, especially defensively, and yes, Young had a bad game and was caught out of position for almost every single goal we conceded. That's factual, and its not trying to blame him. don't be a weirdo, read and understand what's being posted.

dickhead opinions was in reference to "he's dumb" and "his all muscle no brains" (paraphrasing) posts.
This is something Smalling deals with every week with Valencia being out of position and coming across to fill in for him. This is the requirement of a RCB at United with Young/Valencia as our right backs

Well, play him till he gets injured then, if the injury is only another game or 2 away, fair enough, if it's half a season and he shows the talent we know he possesses then happy days. Playing him next to Smalling wouldn't be bad either. Although I really think the Bailly Lindelof partnership could be great.
I’m not saying we shouldn’t play him. I would play Bailly with Smalling. I don’t see anything in Lindelof to suggest he will be a good Utd player. Bailly, whilst inconsistent, does at least do some remarkable things on a football pitch.

However, until Bailly does put a run together and performs consistently, no one can claim he’s our best defender - he’s never actually performed consistently well, even for 4-6 weeks. I have high hopes for him, and he has the potential to be a great defender.

Litch

This place is becoming more toxic than ever.....The lad is beyond where he should be in his development as a CB at his age. It's not like he's playing with a Vidic or Rio next to him and often he's expected to be the senior player. Yes he's rash at times and impulsive but he's also very aggressive and dominating too. One shit game and the vultures are circling. Instead of defending him, some on here are agreeing with the absolute tossers in the media and making him out to be something he's already shown he's not. I know we are unhappy about the team but let's have some perspective please....

Raven

I’m not saying we shouldn’t play him. I would play Bailly with Smalling. I don’t see anything in Lindelof to suggest he will be a good Utd player. Bailly, whilst inconsistent, does at least do some remarkable things on a football pitch.

However, until Bailly does put a run together and performs consistently, no one can claim he’s our best defender - he’s never actually performed consistently well, even for 4-6 weeks. I have high hopes for him, and he has the potential to be a great defender.
I agree with pretty much everything you say about Bailly. I disagree about Lindelof, but this isn't his thread. Bailly has the makings of a great centre back if he can avoid injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.