Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andersons Dietician

Not really. He was our best defender in his first year. Injuries have slowed his progression but no-one accused him of rashness or being brainless .
Not true it’s always been there, most comments were along the lines of I close my eyes everytime he goes in to a tackle and so on.

I just wonder if by the time he learns how to defend and calms himself down will his physical attributes have diminished or will he learn that could defending is not about breaking someone in half and diving in to tackles left and right and winning every ball no matter where it is on the pitch.

He’s just really poor at the mental aspect of defending. It’s a shame we don’t still have Blind to help him a long as that was a guy with none of Bailly physical gifts but he understood defending probably better than Bailly ever will.

Foxbatt

He is very athletic and brave too. He is quick but he does not have a footballing brain. He does not know how to play as a team. It is all individualism with him. He is way too reckless and he really could have conceded a penalty too before.

Member 39557

He is very athletic and brave too. He is quick but he does not have a footballing brain. He does not know how to play as a team. It is all individualism with him. He is way too reckless and he really could have conceded a penalty too before.
Is this a Souness quote on Pogba?

haram

He's a very good 'one on one' defender and a great athlete; who I would argue is pretty good on the ball as well (although you disagree). I think there's a player there.
He is ok with the ball at his feet. He does not pass it well though.

Minimalist

I've believe passionately that he's our best CB by some distance. He's got it all, strength and aggression, pace, change of pace. Just needs to reign in that occasional recklessness. Love seeing him in our starting XI.
Believe it passionately all you want. I think it's pretty clear he isn't if he can't head a fecking ball. :lol:

Crackers

greasy ginfers
I've believe passionately that he's our best CB by some distance. He's got it all, strength and aggression, pace, change of pace. Just needs to reign in that occasional recklessness. Love seeing him in our starting XI.
He's had more than enough time to do it. He's a headless chicken. He's lucky to only have one red card in the league.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's had more than enough time to do it. He's a headless chicken. He's lucky to only have one red card in the league.
Does he really only have 1 red card in the league? That's unbelievable :lol: thought he had at least a few more.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Not really. He was our best defender in his first year. Injuries have slowed his progression but no-one accused him of rashness or being brainless .
He was only our best for the first three or so months of that season. After that he spent the rest of the season either playing poorly, injured or off at the ACON (where he played poorly if I remember correctly). Actually to be fair there was another month later in the season where he did play fairly well (Rojo was better though), before he inevitably got injured again.

At the end of that season most people on here thought Rojo had been our best over the course of the season.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
My first comment in a thread comparing him to Vidic in August 2016.
Far too early yet to be making such comparisons. Looks rash so far which will cost us a few goals I think.

Minimalist

My first comment in a thread comparing him to Vidic in August 2016.
He's at fault for the first City goal in the first Derby under Mourinho because he decided not to jump for a header. The idea he wasn't getting criticism in his first season is nonsense.

Bobski

The way he goes flying randomly into tackles is bizarre(and at times hilarious) Like a klaxon goes off in his head and it's time to charge.There was one in the first half out in our RB area where he smashed into one of their players trying to keep a ball in. Good tackle in isolation, massive cheer, but the level of force he puts in just makes him stand out from other more controlled defenders.

He was mostly good in his first season but new signings, especially with a crowd pleasing style of play like his always get a little more understanding and patience. Pretty clear by the end of that season that he had plenty to work on.

Moriarty

I think he's prone to tunnel vision at times. I don't mind an aggressive defender willing to get stuck in but that red card challenge was unnecessary. The player wasn't going anywhere. Also, he isn't playing alongside a more experienced head that could guide him a bit.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Believe it passionately all you want. I think it's pretty clear he isn't if he can't head a fecking ball. :lol:
Don't forget "by some distance" also. So according to him, Bailly is a level or two above Smalling and Jones.

Footyislife

Most people posting negative comments on him are either being very short sighted or just not using reason. I don't know what game most of you watch but he's composed passing the ball. Two footed which even Lindelof can't do. He's our best ball stopper very forceful & aggressive the likes of Vidic. Finally he's ridiculously athletic & agile which is a combo very few defenders in the world have. That's like 80% of what our ideal defender needs.

Now his two biggest weaknesses at only 24 yrs old are:
1. Lacks bulk/positioning to challenge effectively in the air & also leads to excessive injuries for his style of play.
2. Too aggressive in his decision making that can lead to an unnecessary rash challenge/poor positioning (then again look at how many reds Vidic got. You tend to screw up sometimes when you play with that intensity)

Both of those can easily be fixed with time. The second one is much easier, he just needs to cut out the rash stuff when it doesn't matter in a game (ball going down the sideline or up by multiple goals), i'm okay if he messes up trying to play good defense, no defender is perfect. Most defenders don't hit their peak till 28/29. I think he'll be a beast in a year or two given consistent playing time/no injuries.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
You can’t compare him to vidic, vidic was freaking dominant in the air and a really proactive defender who could snuff out danger before the play develops. Only thing they have in common is a forceful tackle, vidic picked his fair share of reds but he had particular defensive matchup problems with quick attackers like a prime Torres. He wouldn’t lose his shit against a side like Bournemouth.

SiamDevil

Annoyed at some who praised Bailly for preventing Fellaini from coming on. Even though they are clearly joking we all know for a fact what will happen if it was Jones or Smalling.

I used to believe that Bailly is our best cb or at least has the potential to be, but he shows little to no sign of improvement over his weaknesses. It’s dissappointing how there are still many fans who believe he is currently BY FAR our best cb and how baffled when he doesn’t start.

AKDevil

* And he also has a really crap fitness record.

Not even close. Even if you take away the remedial red and the nailed on penalty for a 6 ft high totally unnecessary jump-kick. Lindelof was having to cover for his poor positioning constantly, and was also about 3x more composed on the ball despite being on the more uncomfortable side.
Yeah it’s not the best but has a lot going against him. A shame as he looked a potential great signing. Hopefully 4th choice next year. Maybe 5th.

Irwin99

He's at fault for the first City goal in the first Derby under Mourinho because he decided not to jump for a header. The idea he wasn't getting criticism in his first season is nonsense.
And that was when Mourinho threw Blind under the bus and decided he wasn't good enough to play centre back again :( (still think he's better than quite a few of the centre backs we have here)

dpansheth

And that was when Mourinho threw Blind under the bus and decided he wasn't good enough to play centre back again :( (still think he's better than quite a few of the centre backs we have here)
Actually he’s at the bottom of the food chain, lowest heading ability than herrera probably. To me that should put him on the list to ship out as soon as possible. Recklessness is an add-on..

staniswin

How is he best cb just based on physical attributes ? All of the best defender in history has more brain than brawn, not other way around. For example Bailly being bad in the air means he is bad at timed his jump or misjudge where the ball will drop.

"If i have to make a tackle then i i have already made a mistake" - Paolo Maldini. Guess who forced to make a tackle thethe m often in our squad ? Jose Mourinho has worked with the likes of Terry , Carvalho , Samuel , Lucio , Cordoba , Pepe , Varane , Ramos so he knows exactly how a good defender look like and that's exactly why Bailly is down on pecking order under him.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
I keep hearing he is one of our best ball playing centrebacks but in that game I saw nothing that suggests he is anywhere near one of the best that people like Stephen Howson say he is. In that game he was mostly passing it sideways and was making one too many touches just to make a decision. Also as per usual he was being far too rash and it cost him his game. There was literally no reason to flying into a tackle like he did 4-1 up, there is just no logical reason. That is not something that a good defender does. The thing is though, it's not isolated, he does it in most of his games. He did it a fair few times in that game, one that stands out was his tackle against one of the Bournemouth players outside the box on the right back position, he was going nowhere and he flew into a tackle on him resulting in a freekick. He's not even one of the best defenders in our team, let alone the league.

Dinghy

He's rash, poor in the air, injury prone and his passing is a bit shit. That's way too many negatives for me, even though he has the occasional game where he looks world class.

edcunited1878

He would be a prototypical CB for a team who plays a higher line and condenses the space/pressing from midfield to attack. Has the pace, strength and athletic ability to cover ground and challenge players.

But he's rarely in control of himself and has shown to be brainless. You're up multiple goals, the game is in the bag and you do something like that in the middle of the pitch. Mental really.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Rash like Ramos but also a bit idiotic and hasty.

He's quick but his decision making has been questionable. Still think He has the highest ceilings out of all our CBs though.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Rash like Ramos but also a bit idiotic and hasty.

He's quick but his decision making has been questionable. Still think He has the highest ceilings out of all our CBs though.
Usually Ramos gets sent off for being cynical in my experience of watching him, Bailly just makes braindead decisions.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
I keep hearing he is one of our best ball playing centrebacks but in that game I saw nothing that suggests he is anywhere near one of the best that people like Stephen Howson say he is. In that game he was mostly passing it sideways and was making one too many touches just to make a decision. Also as per usual he was being far too rash and it cost him his game. There was literally no reason to flying into a tackle like he did 4-1 up, there is just no logical reason. That is not something that a good defender does. The thing is though, it's not isolated, he does it in most of his games. He did it a fair few times in that game, one that stands out was his tackle against one of the Bournemouth players outside the box on the right back position, he was going nowhere and he flew into a tackle on him resulting in a freekick. He's not even one of the best defenders in our team, let alone the league.
In terms of ball-playing, he's better than Smalling but he's very erratic. Sometimes pulls off a good pass that Smalling wouldn't (e.g. the lofted pass to Lukaku that started the sequence for our second goal against City last season), but he has no consistency at all at the moment. Jones in the past few games has shown more composure on the ball than Bailly, and I would contend (to the Caf's howls of derision) that Rojo contributes more to our attacking play with his passing than Bailly and indeed Jones.

kr0nix

He seems too aggressive while lindelof looks passive than he should be.

Bailly needs some mental calmness, to effect that in his game as well.
Lindelof probably reckons he can't match someone in a straight up physical duel, which is why he focuses on making interceptions rather than tackles. It might help him to bulk up a bit but I don't think he'll ever be that aerially dominant as a defender, which is why the next CB we sign has to be able to compensate for that.

cyril C

Lindelof probably reckons he can't match someone in a straight up physical duel, which is why he focuses on making interceptions rather than tackles. It might help him to bulk up a bit but I don't think he'll ever be that aerially dominant as a defender, which is why the next CB we sign has to be able to compensate for that.
Lindelof lost his marker twice in the game and cost us the goal. He failed to intercept or even trying to get close to Ake

Irrational.

A defender that would rather kung-fu kick the ball away than head it would always worry me. Luckily he's young and has some developing to do, and hopefully the rashness can be ironed out.

Andersons Dietician

Lindelof lost his marker twice in the game and cost us the goal. He failed to intercept or even trying to get close to Ake
Are you trolling? Because Ake was being marked by Matic and if any CB was at fault there it was Bailly being drawn out of position when Lingard was dealing with the situation.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I get more nervous when I see his name than I do when I see Jones and Rojo. Lindelof is the centre back I trust the most these days, hell of a turnaround.

Honestly, I don't see what people see in him. Quite frankly, he seems like an idiot.

kr0nix

For a tall bloke, Bailly is pretty terrible in the air. And that aerial weakness is an issue whenever he plays alongside Lindelof.
Yeah which is why I'm not a huge fan of signing Alderweireld whose main weakness is said to be aerial too.

Mcking

Yeah which is why I'm not a huge fan of signing Alderweireld whose main weakness is said to be aerial too.
Yes. He is Lindelof's level, if not worse. Bailly for example is much better than him on the air.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Bailly has all the attributes to be the best CB at United but mental issue is why he is down the pecking order. Jones and Bailly are so similar, I pray that one of them will develop into the CB that we believe they can be.

Bailly has all the attributes to be the best CB at United but mental issue is why he is down the pecking order. Jones and Bailly are so similar, I pray that one of them will develop into the CB that we believe they can be.
He doesn't have all the attributes though does he, not all. He can't head the ball for a start. Mental attributes are just important as physical/ ability attributes.

Ekeke

He's actually our worst. Worst vision and makes the least passes of our CBs. He sticks to easy passes and he's fine at delivering them. But thats all you get. He's a bit better at running the ball out of the back, not as good as Jones though.

Status
Not open for further replies.