Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Vardy pulls off he and Bissaka. Simply a good bit of movement. Bailly hardly to blame for that either. He’s is doing what 99% of Cb’s would do Cover the front post run. Vardy is also on his blind side and should have Bissaka touch tight.
Good bit of movement and lapse by the defender also

Obiorahking_

hahahahah you call that a bad game?! Vardy had literally 1 chance all match.

You are just going way over the top to try and bad mouth somebody. Ridiculous.

If Lindelof put in that performance his fanboys would be creaming themselves in his thread for 2 weeks over that.
On the first goal he puts in a poor effort to block that shot (everyone was at fault in that goal but he played his part)

On the second goal he dosent close Vardy down quick enough despite being the only threat in the box

Also had multiple questionable moments. No hate he played really well yesterday but I need him to start being consistent both in terms of performances and health before I rate him like that.

Obiorahking_

Vardy pulls off he and Bissaka. Simply a good bit of movement. Bailly hardly to blame for that either. He’s is doing what 99% of Cb’s would do Cover the front post run. Vardy is also on his blind side and should have Bissaka touch tight.
How is Baily covering the front post when Maguire was doing that? Wan Bissaka being tighter dosent make sense either considering that is litterally what we’ve been killing him for instead of covering the back post/ opposition winger. That was clearly Bailys man and he didn’t pick him up.

EDIT: we are talking about Tuanzebe not AWB right?Haha

stevoc

This not true at all. He is consistent when playing - the one player who was man of the match for many games when he had just come even when Zlatan had scored the winning goals.
It is true though, he was consistent for a time when he first arrived back in 2016. But since then has has been very inconsistent, which could be down to how often he's been injured. But regardless Eric Bailly is many things good and bad but consistent he is not.

Andersons Dietician

How is Baily covering the front post when Maguire was doing that? Wan Bissaka being tighter dosent make sense either considering that is litterally what we’ve been killing him for instead of covering the back post/ opposition winger. That was clearly Bailys man and he didn’t pick him up.

EDIT: we are talking about Tuanzebe not AWB right?Haha
Maguire wasn’t covering the front post. He was miles out of position. It’s not Baillys man nothing of the sort as he’s having to cover Maguire and try to cut out any ball or run across the front post. It’s then Tuanzebe is it that should be dealing with Vardy as he can see the full picture.

he is nowhere near the guy coming in to shot either inside the 18 yard box and is covering no one. He should be touch tight with Vardy. Watch the goal, it’s painfully obvious he isn’t the main issue in it and hardly can be held accountable for the soul reason of costing us 3 points as many are saying.

To be fare to Leicster it’s a fantastic ball across and an excellent bit of movement/understanding by Vardy to see there is no way he can score across the front and gambles on a ball that should easily be cut out finding it’s way to where it did.

Add in, Shaw and Fred both go to the same man, Pogba can see Perez does nothing, ball is played in to that space where Pogba should see the danger and be covering. Luke Shaw tries to scramble back, Maguire gets dragged out and caught between going full whack for Perez or holding position. Bailly then covers Maguires space and front post. Tuanzebe isn’t touch tight to Vardy. There is a whole catalogue of errors in that bit of play and that’s not even getting in to where were the forwards tracking back with Leicster having the freedom of our half from the looks of it to do as they please.

i’m no Bailly fan but people holding him culpable for that? Crazy.

Last edited:

stevoc

I think some of our fans are as up and down as Bailly. He has played three PL matches: one horrible, one ok but cost us, and one good.
We have 1 win, 1 draw and 1 loss with him as CB in PL.

Without him we have 8 wins, 2 draws, 2 losses. And then somehow he is suddenly our best defender?

As I wrote before. He is great in matches where the other team has weak attack and we need to keep possession. He is great at winning back the ball early but struggle when facing good forwards like Kane, Son and Vardy who easy find open space around him. His speedy recovery pace is good for him, but I haven’t really seen us concede many goals due to poor recover pace.

I am wondering if Ole will play him next match or Tuanzebe. Playing several games in a row could be taking a risk with Bailly considering his injury record. On the other hand, Ole does not seem to trust Tuanzebe.
Yeah bit of an overreaction on here last night and today to his first really good performance in quite a while.

stevoc

It may be, but we see it so rarely what’s the point? We’ve been here before. I would’ve thought people would learn after four years.
Some never do, there's probably still a few on here holding out hope that Jones will get over his injury problems and become a top defender.

Member 101269

Maguire wasn’t covering the front post. He was miles out of position. It’s not Baillys man nothing of the sort as he’s having to cover Maguire and try to cut out any ball or run across the front post. It’s then Tuanzebe is it that should be dealing with Vardy as he can see the full picture.

he is nowhere near the guy coming in to shot either inside the 18 yard box and is covering no one. He should be touch tight with Vardy. Watch the goal, it’s painfully obvious he isn’t the main issue in it and hardly can be held accountable for the soul reason of costing us 3 points as many are saying.

To be fare to Leicster it’s a fantastic ball across and an excellent bit of movement/understanding by Vardy to see there is no way he can score across the front and gambles on a ball that should easily be cut out finding it’s way to where it did.
Actually, Pogba was closer to Pérez, Shaw was higher up the field than Fred, Shaw ran back while Pogba observed jogging and could have cut things off. Maguire had no choice but to push to the left, so as Bailly and AWB. The latter two ultimately ball watched..

Andersons Dietician

Actually, Pogba was closer to Pérez, Shaw was higher up the field than Fred, Shaw ran back while Pogba observed jogging and could have cut things off. Maguire had no choice but to push to the left, so as Bailly and AWB. The latter two ultimately ball watched..
I’m not even sure Pogba broke in to a jog. Think he just pointed. I Remember writing after the game two poor moments from the midfielders cost us. Pogba just watching and McT. Not even sure what he was doing, was just ridiculous.

OldTrevil

Great game from Bailly last night, a deserved clean sheet.

The question, as I'm sure many have pointed out is can he stay fit

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Some never do, there's probably still a few on here holding out hope that Jones will get over his injury problems and become a top defender.
Very very different scenarios.

Bailly hasn’t got a history of muscle injuries, he’s had 2 bad knee injuries which put him out for a long time.

he’s still only 26 and just reaching his prime. Let’s not forget he only started playing football at 18 years old! Anyway, people can think what they like but if he plays regularly like he did against Leicester and wolves we will be ok at the back.

stevoc

Very very different scenarios.

Bailly hasn’t got a history of muscle injuries, he’s had 2 bad knee injuries which put him out for a long time.

he’s still only 26 and just reaching his prime. Let’s not forget he only started playing football at 18 years old! Anyway, people can think what they like but if he plays regularly like he did against Leicester and wolves we will be ok at the back.
Big if for now mate.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Jeez, that’s a fast sprint from Traoré, AWB had no chance to keep up. We’re a bit lucky they totally missed the passed.
We're also lucky because Bailly also read the situation perfectly and had the pace to shift quickly from the opposition half to extinguish the threat.

A-man

We're also lucky because Bailly also read the situation perfectly and had the pace to shift quickly from the opposition half to extinguish the threat.
That’s not really luck, Maguire has control of his player and then the other CB I would expect to take care of a pass to the centre.

Edit: I mean it was good from Bailly, but if he had failed to stop the pass I would have been more surprised.Fairly standard defending.

Foxbatt

Bailly could be brilliant in one minute and horrible in the next minute. You never know what Bailly is going to turn up. Individually he is very talented but as a team player I still don't have any confidence in him.
When Rojo and Bailly played together they were good because both were mad and unconventional. Maybe they understand each other better than any others.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
That’s not really luck, Maguire has control of his player and then the other CB I would expect to take care of a pass to the centre.

Edit: I mean it was good from Bailly, but if he had failed to stop the pass I would have been more surprised.Fairly standard defending.
But his pace and athleticism allowed him to get back into position quickly from with-in the opposition half to intercept the pass. He's a profile of player that allows you to play a more expansive game and that particular action further demonstrated why Solskjaer wants to sign a CB that has the ability to defend 1v1.

A-man

But his pace and athleticism allowed him to get back into position quickly from with-in the opposition half to intercept the pass. He's a profile of player that allows you to play a more expansive game and that particular action further demonstrated why Solskjaer wants to sign a CB that has the ability to defend 1v1.
Yes it was well done by him, although this is a classic example of how his abilities are exaggerated, like no one else on earth could have stopped that pass. The poster even writes he doesn’t believe Lindelof would have made it. Most likely Lindelof would not have run on the same ball/player as Maguire (which Bailly did), but instead already from the start have run to cover a potential pass.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yes it was well done by him, although this is a classic example of how his abilities are exaggerated, like no one else on earth could have stopped that pass. The poster even writes he doesn’t believe Lindelof would have made it. Most likely Lindelof would not have run on the same ball/player as Maguire (which Bailly did), but instead already from the start have run to cover a potential pass.
Had Lindelof been playing along side Maguire then I fully expect Ole to play a deeper defensive line with Pogba on the bench.

Whether Bailly can maintain consistency remains to be seen and it's understandable why many are sceptical about his long-term prospects. But I have to say that with Bailly in the team, Solskjaer takes more risks with how he approaches games IMO.

A-man

Had Lindelof been playing along side Maguire then I fully expect Ole to play a deeper defensive line with Pogba on the bench.

Whether Bailly can maintain consistency remains to be seen and it's understandable why many are sceptical about his long-term prospects. But I have to say that with Bailly in the team, Solskjaer takes more risks with how he approaches games IMO.
I think he needs to take bigger risks when he has to play Bailly, because Bailly is a risk taking defender. He likes to attack the ball, without really being aware of what’s going on behind him. In general, he doesn’t play very safe. I don’t think it is something Ole wants a to do on purpose. Lindelof/Maguire have so far 2.2 points per match while Bailly/Maguire has 1.3 points per match. Don’t see that Ole would add risks on purpose when he is getting the results anyway.

Chief123

Great game from Bailly last night, a deserved clean sheet.

The question, as I'm sure many have pointed out is can he stay fit
For me it’s not even whether he can stay fit.

Its whether he can remain rational on the pitch. It’s the crazy moments that make him risky.

It’s so frustrating because he has everything we need in a defender. It’s like teasing us into thinking we have what we need but then his brain just messes it all up.

Wish we could get him a brain transplant.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think he needs to take bigger risks when he has to play Bailly, because Bailly is a risk taking defender. He likes to attack the ball, without really being aware of what’s going on behind him. In general, he doesn’t play very safe. I don’t think it is something Ole wants a to do on purpose. Lindelof/Maguire have so far 2.2 points per match while Bailly/Maguire has 1.3 points per match. Don’t see that Ole would add risks on purpose when he is getting the results anyway.
You act like Bailly just runs around like a mad dog and doesn’t actually know what’s happening around him :lol: it’s so disrespectful. Whenever the ball went long he was there to chase it down.

maybe you’re just so used to Lindelofs cowardly style of defending that you’re not used to a front foot defender anymore.

Red00012

He played well last night but let’s not forget the Spurs shitshow that he is also capable of

Siviz

Supports
Swansea
You act like Bailly just runs around like a mad dog and doesn’t actually know what’s happening around him :lol: it’s so disrespectful. Whenever the ball went long he was there to chase it down.

maybe you’re just so used to Lindelofs cowardly style of defending that you’re not used to a front foot defender anymore.
The cheek of calling that disrespectful while styling Lindelof a coward. :D

Adnan

Talent Spotter
What you're describing there is a player that could be improved with a run of games and even in training sessions. But his biggest problem has been bad luck with injuries which has affected his match rhythm.

Solskjaer has gone on record and said he wants to press high and play a high-line which is how he setup at Molde from the limited games I watched. So you need at least one CB who is comfortable defending in 1v1 situations when the fullbacks are caught up field. Whether Bailly is good enough to be that player long-term I don't know, but he does have the attributes to be considered to play in such a way. I don't believe Maguire and Lindelof will allow him to do that hence he's (Ole) quite intelligently adopted a cautious approach by playing two DMs to provide protection which offsets the weaknesses of the two CBs.

A-man

It’s not disrespectful, it’s a fact that he leaves space behind him and is often unaware of what’s going on behind him. Disrespectful is to call a United player’s style cowardly, especially when he is one of those who made our second place in the PL happen.

A-man

What you're describing there is a player that could be improved with a run of games and even in training sessions. But his biggest problem has been bad luck with injuries which has affected his match rhythm.

Solskjaer has gone on record and said he wants to press high and play a high-line which is how he setup at Molde from the limited games I watched. So you need at least one CB who is comfortable defending in 1v1 situations when the fullbacks are caught up field. Whether Bailly is good enough to be that player long-term I don't know, but he does have the attributes to be considered to play in such a way. I don't believe Maguire and Lindelof will allow him to do that hence he's (Ole) quite intelligently adopted a cautious approach by playing two DMs to provide protection which offsets the weaknesses of the two CBs.
Bailly would, like all players who have played few games, benefit from playing. But for me it is clear that he lacks a lot of the basics. Could be because he started playing football late and hasn’t had the proper training. We will always have a higher line with Bailly, since he moves forward high up. When we face teams with poor attack like Wolves it is good. When we face teams like Spurs with fast and smart forwards it can be a disaster.

Then there is the question if we need a higher line.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Bailly would, like all players who have played few games, benefit from playing. But for me it is clear that he lacks a lot of the basics. Could be because he started playing football late and hasn’t had the proper training. We will always have a higher line with Bailly, since he moves forward high up. When we face teams with poor attack like Wolves it is good. When we face teams like Spurs with fast and smart forwards it can be a disaster.

Then there is the question if we need a higher line.
Can't disagree with too much here..

Against the bigger teams I would hope we adopt a more conservative approach especially away from home.

Silverman

When Rojo and Bailly played together they were good because both were mad and unconventional. Maybe they understand each other better than any others.
It's like when ya flip two coins. More of a chance that they won't both be tails.

Mike Smalling

Arguably has both the highest ceiling and lowest floor of all our senior CBs. With his inconsistencies and injury issues it is difficult to see him establish himself in the starting XI.

Love seeing him play though. Reminds me of Rio when he is playing well.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Love this guy. Hope he stays fit and gets picked as often as possible
Me too. Something that is very earnest and wholesome about him, despite him being a kamikaze ninja when he is in form.

His assets make him the perfect foil for Maguire in a high line against pacy forwards.

We can only hope he is able to stay injury free for a few months as that will significantly help is in our challenge for the title, and would negate our need to buy another centre back.

Status
Not open for further replies.