Eric Cantona inducted into the Premier League Hall of Fame | Roy Keane too

Spaghetti

Mom's
Thoroughly deserved. Surprised he only got one Player of the Month award though. Bruno has 4 or 5 already and he’s nowhere near Eric’s level and hasn’t even won anything. Cantona was the key to 4 Premier League titles.

Shalashaska

There are probably more "talented" players on the shortlist, but there is nobody that encapsulates the word "Legend" like this man. The man was an absolute enigma, and could do things that other players couldn't imagine.

I doubt any other player could physically attack a fan on live TV and end up appearing in an official Hall of Fame like this.

Nero

You can't put stats against aura, influence, inspiration, catalyst.

Not long at all - Shearer and Henry were first inductees last month.

I expect Giggs was going to be one of the inaugural inductees before the recent court case.
Ok. Cheers. Not heard of it before.

mint really a fan of these types of things. At the moment it’s a taxi cab of fame.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Seem appropriate. I'd induct him into a hall of fame over his Liptonice commercials alone. The Fonz levels of cool.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I still can't understand decision about Giggs being out of list. How?!
His personal life has nothing to do with all records and trophies which he did in PL

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
His personal life has nothing to do with all records and trophies which he did in PL
it would have been a terrible pr move.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Giggs was supposed to be the first inductee alongside Shearer but then he was charged just before the announcement.

Does anybody know if/when they are inducting managers?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Giggs himself wouldn't want to in right now. He's many things but not a complete dummy.

There's no rush with these things. Let Giggs go in a a few years when all the focus is on his fantastic career.

If he went on now there would be a shitstorm towards Giggs and the Premier League.

An obvious choice and should have been in the first group. Cantona's collar is the most iconic Premier League image there is.

Minkaro

Should have been in front of Henry imo.
It’s not a race. As long as the deserving players get in, it doesn’t matter who goes in when.

BB King, Marvin Gaye, and Aretha Franklin were in the second set of Rock and Roll HOF inductees, for example.

pacifictheme

Never saw his assist stats before. 136 goals and assists in 156 games is insane numbers. Not many players will have better g+a to games ratios in the prem.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Does a bird in a cage sing as sweetly as a bird who is free..?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Never saw his assist stats before. 136 goals and assists in 156 games is insane numbers. Not many players will have better g+a to games ratios in the prem.
I remember he was king of assists back in his time. He used to drop back deep and play a free role for us, and our team rely heavily on his creativity and visionary pass/throughballs. Of course, when we needed a goal he would score some fine and crucial goals for us too.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Giggs himself wouldn't want to in right now. He's many things but not a complete dummy.

There's no rush with these things. Let Giggs go in a a few years when all the focus is on his fantastic career.

If he went on now there would be a shitstorm towards Giggs and the Premier League.
Yeah. Hall of Fame was announced on 26th April and Giggs was charged three days earlier on the 23rd April. He likely would have been one of the first named if not for the legal issues. Can't see him be inducted until 2025 at the earliest.

Nominees here: https://www.premierleague.com/hall-of-fame/nominees

Inducted so far:
Shearer
Henry
Cantona

and there will be five more named by the 21st, which will probably be dominated by Arsenal and Liverpool players (minus Owen and van Persie) due to it being fan-voted.

DouLou

Been caught pooping
I mean it's up to them to decide the criteria for the Hall of Fame, isn't it? No-ones striking Giggs achievements off of official lists. But if the PL wants to make a Hall of Fame I think it's within their rights to exclude players who have proven to be pretty fecking shitty people.

RUCK4444

I remember he was king of assists back in his time. He used to drop back deep and play a free role for us, and our team rely heavily on his creativity and throughballs.
Yeah this was a massive part of his game.

It’s what makes Bruno sometimes remind me of Eric, the way he sees the game differently to others in that area of the pitch, also the way he favours the extravagant like the king did. :drool:

RUCK4444

I mean it's up to them to decide the criteria for the Hall of Fame, isn't it? No-ones striking Giggs achievements off of official lists. But if the PL wants to make a Hall of Fame I think it's within their rights to exclude players who have proven to be pretty fecking shitty people.
I can genuinely see both sides to this argument in fairness.

It’s tricky. I mean how can you possibly exclude a player who has won more than any other player in the competition? Especially when he hasn’t been found guilty of anything.

Baneofthegame

Should of been the first name in their in my opinion, one of my favourite players of all time.