Eric Dier | Poch: “He is an important player for us and the idea is not to sell him."

Do you want United to sign Eric Dier?

• Total voters

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Wanted him when he was at Sporting and was surprised we didn't try for him given our connections. We've always wanted to add some steel to our midfield ever since Keane left and we'd get run over from time to time, I think he fits the bill, not to mention him being a United fan and already PL proven.
Similiar to so many posts in the lead up to the Fellaini signing. Obviously Fellaini and Dier are very different players but the obsession with "steel" to the point of ignoring quality remains the same. That and "PL proven", which worked out so well with Schneiderlin too.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Do the Spurs fans on here think there is any truth in Any of this?
I personally don't.

It may for all I know be true that he prefers to play in CM rather than as a CB (and thus it may be true for all know that he's a bit unhappy about our switch to playing with a back 3), but I don't see Poch sanctioning a sale and I don't see Dier being so unhappy that he cuts up rough, even assuming that he is a bit unhappy in the first place.

saivet

Do the Spurs fans on here think there is any truth in Any of this?
I play football with a few Spurs season ticket holders. None of them think there's anything in it. They all seem to rate him pretty highly and wouldn't want to sell (unlike Walker, though think it's more of an acceptance and comfort that they have Trippier anyway)

Wan

If Mourinho goes for Dier, I would trust his judgement. It's not like he's limited on the ball. I expect us to play with two in the middle if Griezmann comes for most of the season. So Pogba+another(Herrera/Dier). Looks good to me.

He can play CB as well which is a plus considering our injury prone CBs can miss a few games now and then at the same time and because I don't see us getting another CB in, not with so many holes to fill in other areas. Baily, Rojo, Jones, Smalling, Blind and Tuanzebe..more than enough IMO and as already shown when fit they are good defenders.

Our attacks on the other hand need serious work.

AndyJ1985

I've nothing against signing a good young English player. We can't always go after foreigners with fancy names.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If Mourinho goes for Dier, I would trust his judgement. It's not like he's limited on the ball. I expect us to play with two in the middle if Griezmann comes for most of the season. So Pogba+another(Herrera/Dier). Looks good to me.

He can play CB as well which is a plus considering our injury prone CBs can miss a few games now and then at the same time and because I don't see us getting another CB in, not with so many holes to fill in other areas. Baily, Rojo, Jones, Smalling, Blind and Tuanzebe..more than enough IMO and as already shown when fit they are good defenders.

Our attacks on the other hand need serious work.
Guess that depends on how low your expectations are. He's certainly more limited on the ball than I want any midfielder we sign to be.

AndyJ1985

Guess that depends on how low your expectations are. He's certainly more limited on the ball than I want any midfielder we sign to be.
He's not as limited as Fellaini and a lot of people seem ok with having him in the squad.

Devil may care

Look in his thread after the Ajax match.
There's a set of people on here that see him like the Elephant Man and that pity fuels them in defending a very mediocre player with massive limitations, especially if you want to play good football.

liamp

He's not as limited as Fellaini and a lot of people seem ok with having him in the squad.
They would be serving very different roles. We've tried playing Fellaini in the role Dier would fill and it was neither pretty nor effective.

liamp

Can't see Levi selling him to us.
I can, if United overpay enough. That's the problem I have with a Dier signing...he's a fine player, but for the money that Levy would want, there are better players available. As an example, there are rumors of Liverpool being in for Naby Keita for 50mm. For what it would take to sign Dier, I'd want a more dynamic player like that.

RepardReece

I'm not a fan of Dier, but would happily replace him for Fellaini if that is the case because it sure sounds like it. Mourinho would be stupid to change Herrera and Pogba as the main two in CM, and Fellaini is the only other midfielder.

I do hope we get this type of player, so that they can sit just behind Herrera and Pogba giving them two more space to attack, without Fellaini stopping all opportunities. Would be brilliant.

Stacks

You are talking like Wanyama and Dembele are shit players
they are 7 or 7.5/10 midfielder players with Dembele the better rating. Wanyama is a bit of a donkey. I remember he was linked to United and his Celtic boss said opponents just let him keep the ball so I was truly against us signing him. I will admit that the 2 working together is effective as they can support each other but individually, I am not sure. United should not be signing midfielders that can't make the Spurs team and then putting said player into our starting line up. its small time. In other words....feck Dier.

notcool

Supports
a
I don't get it. Dier is supposedly average but Fabinho is somehow a great player. Not sure how people make out a huge gulf.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
they are 7 or 7.5/10 midfielder players with Dembele the better rating. Wanyama is a bit of a donkey. I remember he was linked to United and his Celtic boss said opponents just let him keep the ball so I was truly against us signing him. I will admit that the 2 working together is effective as they can support each other but individually, I am not sure. United should not be signing midfielders that can't make the Spurs team and then putting said player into our starting line up. its small time. In other words....feck Dier.
Can't make the spurs team but virtually plays every game. Makes sense.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
He's tailor made for the set up we required for big games this season behind Pogba and Herrera. A mobile, strong dm in the tackle with versatility to drop deep, anchor the midfield and create an in-game back 3, play all range of passes, be a bastard when needed and a good set piece option as a taker and on the receiving end of a high ball.

Still failing to see the validity in critiques of him or the dismissal of transfer links.
Everything I said above still remains.

Chrissypop

Dier was awesome in the Euro's for England, if he can play to that level consistently this is a no brainer

SATA

If Jose thinks Dier is the perfect player to free up Pogba into the attacking monster everyone expects of him and want to see, i am all for it

Zoo

He does seem like a typical Mourinho player. He is definitely a midfielder only I think but Poch can't guarantee him a place there. It could make sense for all parties if the deal is right.

prtk0811

I have never seen dier play, How is he like? Attributes, On the ball, off the ball , Passing range, Vision, Proactive Threat Siffing qualities?

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
I have never seen dier play, How is he like? Attributes, On the ball, off the ball , Passing range, Vision, Proactive Threat Siffing qualities?
He's like a center back playing in midfield, just a few extra attributes that makes him a bit different like shooting and a bit calm with the ball under pressure.

ottosec

I don't see him being anything special. Does he even count as home grown?

dbs235

He'd be a good signing. He's not rated on here because he's English and plays for Spurs. Which is why even Kane and Alli struggle to be rated on here at times. And he's not their level so he literally has no chance.