Eric Dier runs into stand angrily confronting fan, has to be restrained

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
At first I thought it would be a lengthy ban, but on closer inspection he’s English.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Did he just 'confront' the fan (i.e. get up to him and end up doing little else), or did he swing a punch?

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
He’ll probably get a ban but if most of us saw our brother in trouble regardless of anything else we’d do the same. It’s just because he’s Eric Dier and a bit shit at football that he’s getting stick.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Did he actually hit a fan or was he stopped before he could get to him?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
another view

Admin edit: the text in the tweet is bollocks. Only keeping this up because of the angle, but Dier going into the stands had nothing to do with racism to Gedson.

redshaw

We eulogise Cantona for doing something similar so fair enough, fight away.
What Cantona did was art, a flamboyant flying kick resulting in an iconic piece of history to be played through the ages.

This was like watching a pissed up Phil Mitchell

Renegade

another view

I hope the twitter user hasn’t made that up. I’m struggling to believe Dier heard those insults from where he was.

EDIT - just watched the other angle of that video and there’s no way Dier heard anything from where he was.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Why’s he going to get a hefty ban if he hasn’t hit anyone?
I don't think that's how it works. Jumping into the crowd when celebrating a goal lands you in trouble with the referee, jumping into the crowd and being restrained is likely to get you in trouble with the FA.

It's professional suicide. But if the guy he was going for was being a thundercnut, and he chose blood over professionalism in the heat of the moment then I'm sure the context might help his case, but he's 100% banned and not playing again this season.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I don't think that's how it works. Jumping into the crowd when celebrating a goal lands you in trouble with the referee, jumping into the crowd and being restrained is likely to get you in trouble with the FA.

It's professional suicide. But if the guy he was going for was being a thundercnut, and he chose blood over professionalism in the heat of the moment then I'm sure the context might help his case, but he's 100% banned and not playing again this season.
He’s going to get a big ban but it’ll be heavy handed for the actual ‘crime’ in my opinion.

RedDevilRoshi

Don’t blame him for what he done if his younger brother was getting abused in the stands after Norwich won the shootout. Footballers are human beings after all and are going to defend their family if they see them in trouble. It’s natural instinct.

Tel074

The headline here is slightly exaggerated. He ran up the stand and had a row he didn't beat anyone up and there's no chance he will get a lengthy ban that some people on here are calling for

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I hope the twitter user hasn’t made that up. I’m struggling to believe Dier heard those insults from where he was.

EDIT - just watched the other angle of that video and there’s no way Dier heard anything from where he was.
If he couldn't hear anything, he probably couldn't see the guy either, might want to ask why he went up there at all? The made up twitter thing makes sense.

redshaw

Looks like Dier was after the fan with the orange hood lining, the fan goes for the exit when Dier is approaching and can't resist doing a hand signal like a middle finger or V sign the cheeky bastard.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
My old man has just text me asking if someone has racially abused Dier's brother and I don't know what to say

Renegade

Fans get banned for life if they run onto the pitch right? A lengthy ban should/will be given I reckon. Unfortunate if his brother was abused though.
How would anyone know his Dier’s brother though? Could it be the fan cristised Dier‘a performance which made his brother react at the fan. Itll be interesting to hear more.

ReddBalls

If he couldn't hear anything, he probably couldn't see the guy either, might want to ask why he went up there at all? The made up twitter thing makes sense.
But the statement from his manager IN THIS VERY thread of what actually happened makes even more sense.

RUCK4444

Yeah looks like he comes to his senses by the time he has hurdled all those seats :lol:

He doesn't seem to hit anybody so may avoid a lengthy ban.

mu4c_20le

Shouldn't be hard to spot the guy having a go at your family, and chase after him. The racism thing makes no sense because a.) nobody else heard anything, and b.) reaction was entirely over the top unless it was sustained abuse, or something extremely vile. In which we go back to A.

Renegade

That would be a huge assumption. You can definitely see people from that distance especially as he’d know exactly where his brother is sitting.

Stadjer

He's gonna get a big ban and objectively that's the right thing as you can't have footballers attacking fans.

That said....

It's amazing that adult men think they have a right to scream horrible abuse at people with no consequences, just because they've paid to see them play football. Footballers who react to that tend to have my sympathy.

Even more so if the abuse crosses the line of what many might think of as typical, supposedly "acceptable" abuse.
Agreed. It is quite weird that buying a ticket to a football game gives you the 'right' to shout whatever (no racist shouting anymore at most places) you want to football players, referees or other fans. Stuff that if you shout that at any other place will get you kicked out or worse (arrested or whatever). Instead shouting those kind or otherwise normally not socially accepted behaviour is applauded when in a football stadium.