Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting

Devil81

Seems ridiculous to suggest a striker that's played for both PSG and Bayern over the last four years is not good enough but I'd be hugely underwhelmed if we signed him.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Seems ridiculous to suggest a striker that's played for both PSG and Bayern over the last four years is not good enough but I'd be hugely underwhelmed if we signed him.
I think it depends on the intented role? As a backup he would be excellent

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I still can't get around how crass that tweet is. What has Choupo-Moting done to be reduced as a Stoke flop? By all account he is a very professional and nice teammates who has done his job to a good standard at PSG and Bayern.

Whoever wrote that title should be referred to as a professional cnut whenever their name is used.
I was thinking the same. he has played a CL final more recently than most players in the PL, even at the top 6 clubs.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I still can't get around how crass that tweet is. What has Choupo-Moting done to be reduced as a Stoke flop? By all account he is a very professional and nice teammates who has done his job to a good standard at PSG and Bayern.

Whoever wrote that title should be referred to as a professional cnut whenever their name is used.
I think at Stoke he just got grouped in with the players they brought in and then got relegated not giving a feck e.g. Shaqiri and Jese.

Think his problem at Stoke was more injuries and not having the quality around as he came in to replace rather than play with Aranutovic.

The Stoke fans on here on the whole didn't mind him too much:

Choupo-Moting | Oatcake Fanzine (proboards.com)

Interesting career though. He was at Schalke for years posting o.k stats and Stoke were only ones to pick him up on a free in summer 2017. People probably just find it amusing since being relegated with Stoke he's since played for PSG and Bayern although mostly in squad striker role which at his age he's happy to accept.

Erik the Red

Oh, I definitely hope he will stay
In fairness, this "clown" is on course to smash his best season's record of 11 goals (at the age of 33), and is hot on the heels of one of United's greats in Marcus Rashford, with 98 career goals vs Rashford's 100, although Rashford is only 25.

Can we just agree to move on from this, and look at Sesko, Endrick, Osimhen, Gakpo and Brobbey. We have lost Cavani, Ronaldo is done, surely Greenwood is done, and Martial cannot stay fit, so we need another 2 or 3 up front, and I would pick any of those listed ahead of this clown. I would even promote McNeill and Hugill ahead of signing him. I've nothing against him, but we shouldn't be looking at 33 year old strikers. Even Harry Kane I'm not sure about, as you know that he will be declining from the day he walks through the door.

Last edited:

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
In fairness, this "clown" is on course to smash his best season's record of 11 goals (at the age of 33), and is hot on the heels of one of United's greats in Marcus Rashford, with 98 career goals vs Rashford's 100, although Rashford is only 25.

Can we just agree to move on from this, and look at Sesko, Endrick, Osimhen, Gakpo and Brobbey. We have lost Cavani, Ronaldo is done, surely Greenwood is done, and Martial cannot stay fit, so we need another 2 or 3 up front, and I would pick any of those listed ahead of this . I would even promote McNeill and Hugill ahead of signing him. I've nothing against him, but we shouldn't be looking at 33 year old strikers. Even Harry Kane I'm not sure about, as you know that he will be declining from the day he walks through the door.
If he wasn't already at the club and delivering, i wouldn't want Bayern looking at him twice. But the stars have aligned and I'd welcome him staying on for another 1-2 seasons, since the Haalands and Lewandowskis are not growing on trees and there's no guarantee whatsoever that a lower tier forward would slot in the way EMCM does right now.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Choupo-Moting is a unusual player, looks clumsy at times, very talented at others, he was a bit of a joke at PSG but I always liked the guy.

He'd sometimes have high level moves, or sometime do insane things like that as if he couldn't control his feet :

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
So we're just going to continue lurching from has-been to never-was?

Looking forward to 36 year old Lewandowski in 2024 followed by plucking Michy Batshuayi out of the Emirati league a couple of years after.

Boavista

Why are we chasing this bum?
Probably because his contract running out makes him seem cheap and attainable which he likely isn't. And there aren't a lot good forwards around at a decent price point.

I imagine Bayern would rather let him leave on a free than sell him given they'd have to find an alternative. And after a nomadic career and just being a good squad option in Paris and Bayern, I don't see why he'd want to leave mid-season now that he's unexpectedly first choice and thriving.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Probably because his contract running out makes him seem cheap and attainable which he likely isn't. And there aren't a lot good forwards around at a decent price point.

I imagine Bayern would rather let him leave on a free than sell him given they'd have to find an alternative. And after a nomadic career and just being a good squad option in Paris and Bayern, I don't see why he'd want to leave mid-season now that he's unexpectedly first choice and thriving.
I think for him it's the other way round - if Bayern sign a new first choice striker, he could be interested to have a shot at Manchester.

Boavista

I think for him it's the other way round - if Bayern sign a new first choice striker, he could be interested to have a shot at Manchester.
True, but are Bayern looking for a striker in January? I reckon they'll leave that till next season. And in that case he'd probably face the same situation in Manchester in summer

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
True, but are Bayern looking for a striker in January? I reckon they'll leave that till next season. And in that case he'd probably face the same situation in Manchester in summer
Pretty much

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Pointless cfwd policy at the club, pointless getting the next Ighalo to not play him and again miss out on a premium young quality Cfwd. Can't believe we missed out on Haaland after 5 years of having last legs strikers.. Pointless in going after him.

spiriticon

What's with the links to these old Stoke folks like Arnautovic and now Choupo Moting?

Maybe our next target can be Wifried Bony? Or Berahino?

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

That is literally what I thought too. Fecking Daily Mail.

His goal last week into the top bin was outrageous :drool:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Presumably we'd target Choupo-Moting because we're not going to spend the big money it will take for a proper first choice striker in January, having already spent more than we intended to in the summer.

So if people don't want him, that's fine. But the alternative is stick with the options we have or find another relatively cheap striker to tide us over until the summer. And you're probably not going to like any cheap striker option we could get in January. So I'm not sure what you're really expecting instead beyond sticking with Ronaldo and hoping Martial stays fit.

At least this guy isn't a noted racist and has spent the last six years playing for PSG/Bayern rather than Shanghai Port/Bologna. So a step up on the similar profile player we were linked with in the summer.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
The idea that Bayern would be willing to sell him in January... :lol:

largelyworried

Not the worst idea to be honest. Would improve our (very bare) options if we bought him in January. Even if we pony up for a top tier striker in the summer, its not like we're so awash with attackers that he immediately becomes redundant. That said, if we don't try and get him in January, Id have no interest in getting him next summer, even on a free.

Telsim

This has to be some sort of sick joke, surely? Please, no.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
His contract is up in the summer, sooo surprised that he's suddenly being linked to United :rolleyes:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
His contract is up In the summer so if they wanted a fee…. It’s not quite the laughing emoji you make it out to be
Bayern need a true 9 more than any fee they could get for EMCM, and he is their only one (except 17 years young Mathys Tel - great talent, but they won't go into CL knockout stages with him as first choice).

A winter transfer would only be possible if Bayern sign a new striker at the same time, and I don't expect Harry Kane (who has been rumoured) or any other striker of that standing to move in winter.