Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager / awaiting clarity from the club over his position

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Djemba-Djemba

He seems to be genuinely implementing a system where if you play well you're in the team and if you don't you're dropped.

It sounds a simple concept but so many Utd managers post Fergie never seemed to do it.

RedDevil@84

He seems to be genuinely implementing a system where if you play well you're in the team and if you don't you're dropped.

It sounds a simple concept but so many Utd managers post Fergie never seemed to do it.
It is simple only if you have absolute backing of the people above the manager. For years now, the players have been given silly amount of power by incompetent men, dishing out high salary contracts for few months of good form.

Fitchett

I'm very happy with Erik - he's made all the right calls, his signings have been great. Last night's performance was the best 90 minutes I have seen since Fergie was manager.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
My manager.
This not only fixes the ronaldo issue but sends a message to the other players aswell.

I am proud to have been on the ten hag bandwagon when we were looking for a manager.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Difficult to complain too much so far. He’s spent money well, got good results against big sides and when it works he has us playing great football. His handling of Ronaldo has been excellent, just a shame CR7 is taking the limelight away from our performances.

city-puma

Good, the top hierarchy backs ETH this time. They finally did a right thing to clean up a mess they created.

BorisManUtd

Made some big decisions by dropping Maguire and Ronaldo out of starting 11 and win against Spurs is one of our best performances of the last decade. There'll be many ups and downs surely but so far so good imo.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He's so different to Mourinho. Mourinho blamed others but not himself. While ten Hag is willing to share the blames to himself and willing to take responsibility, from the day one he shows to his players that this is team's responsibility including coaches and manager and not individual. This attitude of being responsible obviously gained respect from some of the players and the board, as a result, ETH was backed to banish Ronaldo.

dpansheth

Difficult to complain too much so far. He’s spent money well, got good results against big sides and when it works he has us playing great football. His handling of Ronaldo has been excellent, just a shame CR7 is taking the limelight away from our performances.
This actually might help us, and I wonder if ETH is also thinking the same. After a while we played a team, and now comes increased pressure & expectations, especially against Chelsea. This situation will shift the focus away from the team & they can happily use 1 day of training without ManBaby at Carrington.

this whole episode with the petulant man-child will only strengthen him at this club. We finally have another manager who has the right attitude, personality and authority.

Back him at any cost.
Aye, Mourinho had authority as did LVG, but getting all the players and upper management to buy into that when you want to make big calls (Mourinho wanting rid of Pogba/Martial comes to mind) is absolutely vital; it appears ETH will be backed on this by both the squad and those upstairs.

Bwuk

We’ve got a possible 12 points to play for before the World Cup.

I think we can get all 12. ETH is working wonders.

mu4c_20le

Aye, Mourinho had authority as did LVG, but getting all the players and upper management to buy into that when you want to make big calls (Mourinho wanting rid of Pogba/Martial comes to mind) is absolutely vital; it appears ETH will be backed on this by both the squad and those upstairs.
I mean, they already backed him with over 200m and let him play DoF this summer to build his team. Ronaldo wanted out so these decisions are pretty straight forward so far. I'm more interested to see how the club backs him to get rid of the players he doesn't need. Like Maguire, and the gk situation.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Protect Papa Dutch at all cost.

I mean, they already backed him with over 200m and let him play DoF this summer to build his team. Ronaldo wanted out so these decisions are pretty straight forward so far. I'm more interested to see how the club backs him to get rid of the players he doesn't need. Like Maguire, and the gk situation.
I’m not sure he has a “gk situation” any longer. De Gea is improving by the week at ETH-ball.

Maguire has already been sidelined and the club despite having tonnes of CB’s + Maguire and Varane, backed him for Martinez. So safe to say they’ll back him on Maguire also.

Kostov

Well, for a start, he didn't cost 100m, so that negates the rest of your post.
Well he cost way over his worth that is for sure. But I think Antony is getting better and better, if his current growth continues I don't see a reason why one day he wouldn't be in the consideration for one of the best players around.

AdNani

It's so annoying that, We completely bossed a game against a good opposition, since Probably Juanfield? and even at that we created far more chances against Spurs, and all the talk is about fecking Ronaldo, him being a man child shouldn't take away from

1.The Performance
2. The work Ten Hag and the coaching staff are clearly doing.

That was what we've wanted for so long, what we've watched the Dippers and City do for years. We've got a good one, finally.

phelans shorts

It's so annoying that, We completely bossed a game against a good opposition, since Probably Juanfield? and even at that we created far more chances against Spurs, and all the talk is about fecking Ronaldo, him being a man child shouldn't take away from

1.The Performance
2. The work Ten Hag and the coaching staff are clearly doing.

That was what we've wanted for so long, what we've watched the Dippers and City do for years. We've got a good one, finally.
It’s only when I look on here I even remember the other thing happened, didn’t notice it live either. The performance has had me buzzing however.

romufc

Finally we have a manager who’s shows who’s in charge. Almost Fergie like authority.
How good does it feel? I feel this is a very big step for Ten Hag. The rest of the squad is probably looking at this thinking wow, if Ronaldo is not getting his way, none of us are.

This is where we need this squad to be, the manager is in charge, everyone knows that now.

Chumpsbechumps

I am just so happy that we finally have a manager putting some manners on players. The team and club has finally got a bit of pride back. No one player should be allowed to disrupt things as much as the certain players now and in the past were getting away with. I have to be honest, I didn’t think the club would back ETH over Ronaldo , maybe this is one of the first major differences between Arnold and Woodward, perhaps finally the commercial arm has been sidelined from football matters and the powers that he will see why it’s important to do this and empower managers over players.

Things really are looking like they are coming together for Ten Haag. The team is doing exactly what he’s asking of them, the intensity in play looked immense and he’s been able to lay down the law to the biggest name player. This actually does feel like maybe the beginning of United’s return to the top, or at least return to actually challenging for top honors.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
How good does it feel? I feel this is a very big step for Ten Hag. The rest of the squad is probably looking at this thinking wow, if Ronaldo is not getting his way, none of us are.

This is where we need this squad to be, the manager is in charge, everyone knows that now.
I think regardless of the result against Chelsea he will look strong but you’ll always get the dickheads blaming him for dropping Ronaldo if we lose.

If we beat Chelsea he will be in such a powerful position.

romufc

I think regardless of the result against Chelsea he will look strong but you’ll always get the dickheads blaming him for dropping Ronaldo if we lose.

I don't think the Chelsea result matters to me. If we lose the game, it wont be because Ronaldo was playing.

Collectively, attacking or defending, we look a more cohesive unit without Ronaldo, the future is also without Ronaldo.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I don't think the Chelsea result matters to me. If we lose the game, it wont be because Ronaldo was playing.

Collectively, attacking or defending, we look a more cohesive unit without Ronaldo, the future is also without Ronaldo.
No I agree as well. But I think a win there would even convert the casuals.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Doing everything right as a manager so far. I saw someone on Twitter refer to him as Erik Ten Inch :lol:

At this stage I'm just waiting for him to somehow get rid of the Glazers.

Godfather

Having Martial for the game would be a huge boost. I hope this crock makes it. If we win the whole Ronaldo fiasco will be forgotten.

mctrials23

If we win convincingly at Chelsea that will rub Ronaldo up the wrong way even more. There comes a point where even the most self centred and arrogant twat on the planet can't ignore the reality that they are the problem and people are better off without them.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
This topic was a huge distraction for the important game against Chelsea. I cant stand Ronaldo anymore, and I hope ETH kicks him out for good

Strelok

Same here.

I've written this season off so results don't really matter to me. In fact I was only expecting this sort of performance by next season or even later so this is actually much much sooner than expected. ETH has said the last match should be our standard and what he and the team are expecting to build on that from now on. The whole team surely has much more confidence now since they did it once they surely believe they can do it again. Squad harmony seems to be also very good. They all work really hard for each other and are enjoying the football themselves. ETH seems to have a really golden touch on his players almost all of them showed considerable improvement.

Anyway it's still pretty unrealistic to expect us to play like that week in week out. Still a long way there imo and there will be lot of ups and downs. But we're in the right direction and keep progressing. That's what matters the most. Eventually we'll get there if we can keep the faith and work hard I think.

romufc

Same here.

I've written this season off so results don't really matter to me. In fact I was only expecting this sort of performance by next year or even later so this is actually much much sooner than expected. ETH has said the last match should be our standard and what he and the team are expecting to build on that from now on. The whole team surely has much more confidence now since they did it once they surely believe they can do it again. Squad harmony seems to be also very good. They all work really hard for each other and are enjoying the football themselves. ETH seems to have a really golden touch on his players almost all of them showed considerable improvement.

Anyway it's still pretty unrealistic to expect us to play like that week in week out. Still a long way there imo and there will be lot of ups and downs. But we're in the right direction and keep progressing. That's what matters the most. Eventually we'll get there if we can keep the faith and work hard I think.
Agreed. I did not expect us to play that game the way we did until closer to the end of the season.

That is not to say, I dont rate Ten Hag but it was more I dont trust these players, we have seen them struggle to adapt to this sort of game plan.

Ten Hag also said that he knows we cant play like this every week but that performance was big for various reasons. Firstly, it gives Ten Hag more power, the players can see if they follow him, what can be achieved, you kind of need that to get the players on side. Secondly, it allowed him to say, Ronaldo who? Your antics cannot work, we have just had the best performance without you.

Its given Ten Hag a bit of breathing room with the players and one thing is for sure, the fans are 100% behind the manager.

Strelok

That is not to say, I dont rate Ten Hag but it was more I dont trust these players, we have seen them struggle to adapt to this sort of game plan.
Pretty the same here. When the season started literally the whole caf (including me) believed like maybe only 3-4 players max would fit ETH style and a whole sale change would be required. Our squad by last season proved themselves to could not even string two passes together ffs. Worse thing was they didn't even look like they'd care.

Tbh at the start I was pretty skeptical regarding ETH. He is no doubt a fantastic coach given what he did at Ajax. However managing Ajax and United are completely different stories with our so called primadonas and the bad culture of giving too much power to the players. Plus the stupid incompetent top hierarchy. Hell of a job ETH has done here I must say.

Last edited: