g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Erik ten Hag vs Sancho

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I am so done with Sancho, hope we get rid asap. And I can only laugh about his fanboys. Thankfully not many left.
There was a time when the vast majority of United fans sided with Fergie even after he had almost damaged/destroyed Beckham’s eye. And before anyone says Fergie had much more credit in the bank than ETH, so did Becks compared to Sancho.
And here this wet wipe made of ice cream Sancho is behaving like a small spoilt kid over an absolutely nothing event.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
To be fair, Sancho wasn't completely wrong either, as he basically insinuated that others have been getting away with it for the same things. He had more goal contributions than Antony soto be completely dropped from the team warranted a question from the media.
Yet nowhere near enough goal contributions to compensate for his pathetic workrate and defensive effort. Which is why he was completely wrong to claim he’d been unfairly treated.

9 Stone Elvis

Yet nowhere near enough goal contributions to compensate for his pathetic workrate and defensive effort. Which is why he was completely wrong to claim he’d been unfairly treated.
Thats the biggest issue, his social media post was made from the position of being a Roy Keane type figure when his contribution to Man Utd has been more Will Keane.

Gavinb33

Exactly people are questioning this like he is way way above Antony's level when in fact he is marginally better going forwards but in terms of the team he is a liability whereas Antony is not

crossy1686

career ending
A lot of people are acting under the assumption that Ten Hag has caused something by speaking out when the reality is that Sancho was available for sale over the summer and no one was interested so he’s taken the first opportunity he could find to get himself out the door at a lower valuation. The reality is it’s got very little to do with what Ten Hag said, because if it did, he’d just apologise so he could train and play minutes again.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Do you think that ETH telling everyone in public that Sancho does not train well will bring more potential buyers? Did this increase our ability to sell him? Obviously no.

So what was the point of telling anyone about this? If ETH wanted to sideline him, or make him train with the reserves, or send him on loan, or just buy his contract and release him, he could do all that without telling the journalists that Sancho does not train well. It was a mistake by ETH. He had a problem, he made the problem worse for no reason at all.
Call me crazy but maybe Ten Hag thought that Sancho would hear the public challenge to do better, like he and other managers have done with many players in the past, and Sancho might actually be a professional and take on the challenge rather than be a whining little bitch about it.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Call me crazy but maybe Ten Hag thought that Sancho would hear the public challenge to do better, like he and other managers have done with many players in the past, and Sancho might actually be a professional and take on the challenge rather than be a whining little bitch about it.
His assistant should have told him that Sancho will respond better to a quiet word in private.

Irwin99

To be fair, Sancho wasn't completely wrong either, as he basically insinuated that others have been getting away with it for the same things. He had more goal contributions than Antony soto be completely dropped from the team warranted a question from the media.
Last time i checked they were pretty similar with Sancho ahead by virtue of playing more games in his United career but it really is two absolutely dismal records-for 80 million pound players- side by side. Both have not been worth anywhere near what we paid for them but one of them does at least work hard for the team.

Dannn411

At this point, i'd bin both Antony and Sancho in January and push for Neto.

criticalanalysis

He got that question after a loss = then it's big chance something negative coming out from him.
After a loss you should be in a bad mood.

Alternative Ten Hag's answer could : "Today i picked the best squad from training performances and Sancho is not on that squad" = this will not mean Sancho was doing poor training. Others players was just doing better than him.

But again. In a bad mood after a loss/his mind. Answered quick. Yes, for some they will take it negative and for some not.

But just being boring. Today i picked the best squad. Then both Sancho and the journalist should have nothing to make a story or a contra answer and respond back.

Every players shall respect the manager always try to pick the best XI and squad.

And if you disagree with the manager. Go direct and talk one to one in his room.

Sancho as a human didn't like critise in public. Ten Hag or most human too. Getting criticise in public.

So i m not saying what is wrong and right. Like someone stand on the left side telling is a nr.6 , the other one saying it is a nr.9. Depend on where you stand at. Your view about things.
That's not just not true. Dan Gore was in the squad so you can bet, someone would comment further and then say 'Gore was a better choice for the game, compared to struggling £70m star Sancho'.

It's Utd. Everything can be made a headline or issue simply because we're the biggest draw and the ABU pundits in the media.

frostbite

But that's exactly what I am saying! Yes, you and I may expect this from Sancho. But we are two random people on the internet, we don't really know Sancho, we haven't talked to him, we know nothing about him. On the other hand, ETH managed Sancho for a full year, and I expect ETH to know more about Sancho than you or me! A good manager can predict how a player will respond. It is a skill that good managers have (not just in football, but in any job) and I am worried that ETH doesn't have this skill.

RVN1991

Sancho will 100% outlast ETH at Man Utd.
New manager will come in eventually and Sancho will be back in the squad.
It would be an absolute embarrassment if Sancho is still at the club come next season with or without ETH at the helm.

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
But that's exactly what I am saying! Yes, you and I may expect this from Sancho. But we are two random people on the internet, we don't really know Sancho, we haven't talked to him, we know nothing about him. On the other hand, ETH managed Sancho for a full year, and I expect ETH to know more about Sancho than you or me! A good manager can predict how a player will respond. It is a skill that good managers have (not just in football, but in any job) and I am worried that ETH doesn't have this skill.
Since ETH appears to be managing some other 24-25 players just fine, and there's precedent with Sancho in previous clubs plus the National team, it looks like the issue is on the player.

Betson

Even if he does apologize now he is not a good enough player to put up with the hassle , some players you give a bit of leeway if they are worth it.

In his time here is has shown neither the talent or desire to suggest that he would be anything more than an average squad player.

We are not missing anything playing wise with his absence , just so frustrating the money and time resources we have wasted yet again on a big money signing.

frostbite

Since ETH appears to be managing some other 24-25 players just fine, and there's precedent with Sancho in previous clubs plus the National team, it looks like the issue is on the player.
You missed the argument. ETH said something that helped in nothing, lowered the value of a player we want to sell, and made it much harder to actually sell him. It was harmful to the team, there were no positives from what ETH said.

But I am curious, how do you know that he is managing the others "just fine"? We know that Ronaldo felt disrespected by ETH. We know that the team offered a contract to De Gea, he signed the contract, and ETH vetoed it and let him go, to be replaced by Onana, who is actually worse so far. We know that last year ETH was constantly playing Wout at the 10, and played Bruno on the right or further back, which is not Bruno's preferred position. We know that ETH is constantly playing Antony, who is not very good.

I see no players that have actually improved from two years ago (except maybe Garnacho). So, how do you know that he is managing the others "just fine"?

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
A lot of people are acting under the assumption that Ten Hag has caused something by speaking out when the reality is that Sancho was available for sale over the summer and no one was interested so he’s taken the first opportunity he could find to get himself out the door at a lower valuation. The reality is it’s got very little to do with what Ten Hag said, because if it did, he’d just apologise so he could train and play minutes again.
This is the thing. He's a flop. He knows it, the club knows it, and we know it too. He was going to either stay as flop or leave as a flop. With this situation now, he gets to leave under the irreconcilable differences cloud.

frostbite

This is the thing. He's a flop. He knows it, the club knows it, and we know it too. He was going to either stay as flop or leave as a flop. With this situation now, he gets to leave under the irreconcilable differences cloud.
This has been stated ad nauseam here.

Yes, Sancho should be sold. But how did ETH help with selling Sancho, telling the journalists that he doesn't even train well?

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers

Yes, Sancho should be sold. But how did ETH help with selling Sancho, telling the journalists that he doesn't even train well?
He didn't say that though. Then again, his job is to manage his team in order to get the best results. Not to increase a particular player's sale value. That's on the player and his agent.

You missed the argument. ETH said something that helped in nothing, lowered the value of a player we want to sell, and made it much harder to actually sell him. It was harmful to the team, there were no positives from what ETH said.
He didn't have to be helpful, he was answering a question. As stated above, increasing that player's value or selling him is not his job. It wasn't harmful to the team as A) Sancho wasn't making a difference and B) team performances weren't really affected.

But I am curious, how do you know that he is managing the others "just fine"? We know that Ronaldo felt disrespected by ETH. We know that the team offered a contract to De Gea, he signed the contract, and ETH vetoed it and let him go, to be replaced by Onana, who is actually worse so far. We know that last year ETH was constantly playing Wout at the 10, and played Bruno on the right or further back, which is not Bruno's preferred position. We know that ETH is constantly playing Antony, who is not very good.

I see no players that have actually improved from two years ago (except maybe Garnacho). So, how do you know that he is managing the others "just fine"?
I think this post reveals an agenda more than anything. But I'd say that since the rest of the squad aren't throwing tantrums and are training well enough to actually be selected for playing, it appears to be "just fine". Or we can also ask ourselves if the events immediately after Ronaldo and De Gea's departures proved ETH or them wrong.

criticalanalysis

Perhaps ETH's priority and in some ways rightly for him is that he wants to manage the squad, set standards and account for the on the pitch performances. Sure right now, he's not exactly doing that well but this focus means he has no time to being playing politics for a player he did not sign, that has consistently under delivered and also to be doing the job of the DoF.

There are many legitimate things to criticise ETH for but this is nitpicking at best. On one hand, you could argue he didn't do 'perfectly' to mitigate this situation but that's only if you take this as an isolated incident existing in a vacuum; the context is that ETH gave Sancho 3 months off last year, lavished praise on him last season and gave him PLENTY of opportunities to get back into match rhythm. The fact Sancho felt the way he needed to react is that he's had enough in his mind with his Utd career thus far and as I've said before in previous posts, ETH's comment was only a catalyst i.e Sancho was just using this as an opportunity.

I have no issue with Sancho wanting to leave but this is not the way to do it and make a ridiculous stand.

In my opinion, it's a mountain out of a molehill really but if I had to attribute responsibility it's 70% on Sancho and 30% on ETH. For ETH and the team, Sancho just isn't worth it and that's the cold hard truth.

frostbite

He didn't have to be helpful, he was answering a question. As stated above, increasing that player's value or selling him is not his job. It wasn't harmful to the team as A) Sancho wasn't making a difference and B) team performances weren't really affected.
Yes, he answered a question, but he is not in kindergarten, he is the manager of a multi-billion company, he can avoid the question, he can answer in generalities. Part of his job is to talk to the press. He is not the janitor, he is the manager! And yes, part of his job is to add value to Man Utd, not to subtract value! That's why the manager makes millions per year.

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
Yes, he answered a question, but he is not in kindergarten, he is the manager of a multi-billion company, he can avoid the question, he can answer in generalities. Part of his job is to talk to the press. He is not the janitor, he is the manager! And yes, part of his job is to add value to Man Utd, not to subtract value! That's why the manager makes millions per year.
Exactly what he did.

alexthelion

You guys are super dramatic. Manager Sancho created this mess, to be honest, but besides that - players usually get a new slate when a new manager comes in. Not that I think EtH will go anytime soon.
Believe that's what you meant.

TsuWave

Except he didn't, Sancho did.
Except Sancho didn't, manager did.

This is the pointless exchange I was referring to. You won't change my mind, and I'm not looking to change yours. You quoted me, not the other way around. Be easy.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Would love to see how some posters here manage anyone in real life.

crossy1686

career ending
Except Sancho didn't, manager did.

This is the pointless exchange I was referring to. You won't change my mind, and I'm not looking to change yours. You quoted me, not the other way around. Be easy.
Is the manager not allowed to speak out about players anymore? Pep has done it, Arteta has done it, Klopp has done it, but Ten Hag isn’t because he’s starting something? Managers can use whatever tactics they feel necessary to get a response out of people. For managers like Jose, speaking publicly is the first option, for others it’s further down the list but it’s a legitimate option if nothing else is working, and by all accounts this worked. Sancho hasn’t been doing enough, he got called out and he threw his toys out of the pram, successful operation all round.

gajender

As usual the Club is the one taking the biggest hit and suffer through this whole episode .

Chances are neither Sancho nor Ten Hag would be at the Club come next season because they just couldn't hack it .

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
As usual the Club is the one taking the biggest hit and suffer through this whole episode .

Chances are neither Sancho nor Ten Hag would be at the Club come next season because they just couldn't hack it .
Why is the club suffering?

Sancho being nowhere near the first team is only a benefit in my eyes.