Erik ten Hag vs Sancho

Litch

So because Sancho was expensive he shouldn't be criticised? And saying someone didn't train well this week slashes 60% of any potential fee?
No clearly not but dont you think the media are going to act the same if he wasnt?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
No clearly not but dont you think the media are going to act the same if he wasnt?
It wouldn't have been a particularly big deal if Sancho hadn't reacted so ridiculously. It would've been news for a few days, Sancho would have played the next game and then everyone would have forgot it happened. Of course this relies on Sancho actually reacting like someone with the right type of mentality to make it at a top club.

NLunited

One of the reasons I want Ten hag sacked asap. He doesn't know who our better players are. Martial and Sancho should be starting week in, week out. Yet he won't play Martial and has fallen out with sancho. Those two are our best attackers and the manager just doesn't see something so obvious.
:lol::lol::lol:

What has Martial shown? He can’t run anymore. Please tell me you are trolling.

NLunited

There is nothing stopping Ten Hag from organising a meeting with him to get him back on board, might even get an apology if he communicated with him, he’s top earner in the club it’s an incredible waste to make no effort to reach him halfway, when we have arguable the worst attack in the league too, it’s an even bigger waste. That’s the job of manager, to use your resources to the best of your ability. Not using your resources properly is on you as a manager. Is it a coincidence that Rashford’s play changed after the row too? Sorting out this issue could save things for Ten Hag. His stubbornness may cost him.
If that is true about Rashford then he needs to go too. There is no room for immature unprofessional slackers at MU.

NLunited

Ah. Sorry, you see some wild takes so it’s hard to tell at times :lol:

I guess it could be principle, but it’s a weird hill to sacrifice the momentum of your career on.

Anyway, clearly we have very different views on this. Cheers for the civilized rebuttals, I think I’ll leave it there.
Sancho probably didn’t realize this is going to ruin his career. No one will pay his wages.

Now he either has to take a huge wage cut or not play at all until the summer.

Even if he moves, he won’t succeed. He is pathetic.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
It’s baffling to me how many people still defend Sancho, despite him being so obviously in the wrong and behaving so incredibly childish. Especially when those people are United fans, as he has done nothing of note for your club. I kind of get Dortmund fans taking his side. But United fans defending him is really strange.
Spot on.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
One of the reasons I want Ten hag sacked asap. He doesn't know who our better players are. Martial and Sancho should be starting week in, week out. Yet he won't play Martial and has fallen out with sancho. Those two are our best attackers and the manager just doesn't see something so obvious.
Yep, it’s so obvious :lol:

djembatheking

This has got to be a wum, No one can really think Martial and Sancho should be starting week in week out surely.

Pickle85

Obvious oppo wum. Yawn.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Laughable comparison. Totally different day and age with entirely different demands placed on players, and we’re also talking about a player who was delivering the goods.

Regardless of what’s really happened behind the scenes, I doubt Sancho’s advisors have told him that his best course of action was to blow up on instagram over a fairly innocuous comment, and then put his career on hold and miss out on training and matches for months on end.

If they did then his advisors are well-suited to his unprofessional arse.
To be honest, if his reactions leads to him leaving United a year or two in advance, it will be better for his career than keeping quiet and staying.

Why are you still making things up?

It’s not a single offense, it’s not one event that has led to this, it’s a culmination of Sancho’s lack of professionalism over an extended period of time that has led to this.

Ten Hag has defended him time and time again, he was happy to send him away under a strict training regime in order for him to regain full fitness, never had a go at him in public even though he had every reason in the world to tear him a new one.

When protecting a player in publuc time and time again doesn’t work, when said player still turns up late, when his performances are nowhere near the required level and he’s one of the most expensive signings and best paid players in the league, you try a different approach in the hope that the player gets his shit together.

He didn’t even hang him out to dry, it was hardly much of an attack on Sancho. Rashford got dumped for being late to a team meeting prior to a match. Garnacho was punished in a pre-season for being late, he’s been critized in public several times about needing to mature and become more professional. They got on with it..Every once in a while a player will get called out, most players will rarely think it’s nice or deserved, but few of them are thick enough to challenge the manager in public afterwards. Sancho decided it was a good idea to go public with a claim that the manager was lying, that he was being scapegoated, the level of stupidity is off the charts really.
I think the notion that I am making stuff up when it is you who takes vague hearsay for gospel is a bit ironic ;) Fact of the matter, we don't know what happened behind the scenes. Sancho clearly didn't snap because of the interview alone, it was rather the tipping point. He also has absolutely no history of falling out with managers. All the stuff that happened at his previous clubs were minor disciplinary issues like punctuality and he never threw a tantrum like this when he was punishment for it.

Whatever happened behind the scenes, it most definitrly was terrible man management by Ten Hag. Which doesn't mean that Sancho was a saint. It just means that Ten Hag isn't blameless.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think ten Hag just Dutched himself into a corner. Being principled is a great in theory, but it's also a bit of a luxury, Pep for example can axe just about any player at a moment's notice, because he has the success and "philosophical" credibility to back it up.
Ten Hag however doesn't. He has to be on the brink of being sacked, in no small part thanks to his impotent attack: the output of United's players in the PL is actually hilarious:
Rashford 2/2
Garnacho 1/1
Hojlund 0/0
Antony 0/0

Bruno (3/3) is the only one you wouldn't confuse for a CB on paper and that's in part, because he's been taking penalties. It's hard to imagine that Sancho wouldn't be able to better the record of some of these players, especially ten Hag's own signings.

Sure he's shown his squad that he's tough, I'm sure that they'll think a lot about it while Potter or some other guy coaches them. Meanwhile the club watched the value of one of their top earners plummet in real time and will maybe have to pay him off in the end, just to get rid.

Sancho does look like a spoiled brat in this, but a lot of players are brats and I think a top coach should be able to either moderate better or know when to pick his battles.

Litch

It wouldn't have been a particularly big deal if Sancho hadn't reacted so ridiculously. It would've been news for a few days, Sancho would have played the next game and then everyone would have forgot it happened. Of course this relies on Sancho actually reacting like someone with the right type of mentality to make it at a top club.
Like said, depends on your values, beliefs, ethics and principles. Many on here wouldnt even allow a stranger challenge their opinion.

If your manager calls you a liar or calls you lazy, in public and sends a memo to everyone in the company, you can ignore it or challenge it.

Are you saying you would ignore it?

Shinjch

If Sancho had shown that he is a top player at the current level then it may be a different discussion. He has shown he is a nothing player too. He isn't worth backing down for anyway.

Last edited:

JuriM

Like said, depends on your values, beliefs, ethics and principles. Many on here wouldnt even allow a stranger challenge their opinion.

If your manager calls you a liar or calls you lazy, in public and sends a memo to everyone in the company, you can ignore it or challenge it.

Depends, if you are what they say, it's your fault.

If you are being done unfairly, then you go to war and I would be ready to rip out everyone's spine through their eyeballs who come after me.

Sancho has no case, he hasn't done anything to make people believe in him or start building a case against the manager. He just doesn't care about playing for Manchester United.

clarkydaz

If it was true you would take it on the chin. Particularly after being given compassionate leave previously, and your ex team mate publicly calling your professionalism out recently aswell

pascell

The way I see it, Sancho was performing way below average, was underwhelming to say the least and failed to do his defensive duties much of each game. Then to under perform in training, be dropped as a consequence and them make that social media post suggests he's not the brightest button, nor intends to fight for the shirt. I'm siding with ten Hag with this, even if I'm not ten Hag biggest fan, standards need to be set and adhered to, which players like Garnacho and Rashford have done.

Waste of money, move him on and prevent similar mistakes happening as part of the football & transfer team overhaul under SJR.

Litch

Depends, if you are what they say, it's your fault.

If you are being done unfairly, then you go to war and I would be ready to rip out everyone's spine through their eyeballs who come after me.

Sancho has no case, he hasn't done anything to make people believe in him or start building a case against the manager. He just doesn't care about playing for Manchester United.
I dont think its about whether he thinks he is right or wrong, thats a matter of opinion. I think its more about whether the matter was dealt with in the right way. Some think the manager can call players publicly out, I dont irrespective of whether he is right. Nothing good generally comes of it and the best managers dont.

Players ultimately are employees not fans and some dont care about their place of work I guess.

Litch

If it was true you would take it on the chin. Particularly after being given compassionate leave previously, and your ex team mate publicly calling your professionalism out recently aswell
If you believe what was said that Sancho had issues around his mental health, how does calling him out supporting that? Hardly conducive with taking it on the chin....who knows.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

ETH didn't call him a liar, or call him lazy. The fact YOU have to keep lying or exaggerating about what he said to make it sound bad proves that there wasn't actually anything wrong with it.

All ETH said is that Sancho wasn't selected due to his performance in training as we have other choices. He even specifically said it was only for that game. ETH didn't give any details, so we don't know if it was a lack of effort, his regular late show, or whether it was more due to form as he was trying his heart out but just nothing was coming off for him.

If your boss at work says another employer performed better than you this week so therefore he gets selected to represent the company, you'd throw a tantrum and publicly call your boss a liar?

Last edited:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
ETH didn't call him a liar, or call him lazy. The fact YOU have to keep lying or exaggerating about what he said to make it sound bad proves that there wasn't actually anything wrong with it.

All ETH said is that Sancho wasn't selected due to his performance in training as we have other choices. He even specifically said it was only for that game. ETH didn't give any details, so we don't know if it was a lack of effort, his regular late show, or whether it was more due to form as he was trying his heart out but just nothing was coming off for him.

If your boss at work says another employer performed better than you this week so therefore he gets selected to represent the company, you'd throw a tantrum and publicly call your boss a liar?
Those examples are very off. In truth we know almost nothing about the circumstances so everybody should be a bit more careful with their assessments unless they have background information.

Right now we know

- Sancho suffered from online (racial) abuse after the penalty shootout with England
- ETH sent him to a mysterious training camp in the Netherlands to work an his 'physical and mental issues'
- ETH left him out of the squad, answered it was because of his training performance and Sancho disagreed with that publicly, claiming to be scapegoated
- ETH values discipline very highly, Sancho seems to have had issues with his punctuality

The rest is up to interpretation and depending what happened behind the scenes, within the room of interpretation the facts leave us, there are scenarios imaginable in which both reactions are understandable.

If Sancho indeed suffered from a mental illness, Ten Hag's way of gandling this was disastrous. If the 'mental issues' he spoke about when Sancho was in the Netherlands were actually not health related but rather disciplinary it is a different topic. But then a measurement such as this seemed a bit out of proportion as well.

One way or another, there are hundreds of players like Sancho who aren't the most disciplined out there and IMO it should have you thinking that you rarely if ever see a manager clash with a player like this. One quality of a top manager is that he knows how to handle different characters and egos, that he knows how to get different personalities behind him and how he keeps players who are not in the starting line up or go through a somewhat frustrating episode motivated and loyal.

Litch

Not sure what the capital letters are about, it was a hypothetical example more relevant to a 'Joe Public' situation. I'm not suggesting thats what he said.

What he did say was pretty unprecedented and not something you hear managers comment about, as they know that it gets exactly this kind of reaction....unless of course they want it to?

If your boss says anything publicly to anyone that you believe isnt true, maybe you would. Maybe he has lied, work for enough managers that have. Like said, everyones reactions are different, you can see how people react on here to total strangers offering just a different opinion!!!!!

I'm not saying Sancho is right but unlike you, Im not saying he is wrong either. Im just saying EtH has already proven to his views to be 'inconsistent' (lied) about a number of things, most recently around Varane and maybe around DDG too.

Not unusual football managers to lie, normally its the other way and they say they have a niggle, twinge or ill. Less controversial ironically.....

Last edited:

fallengt

Its controversial cause the only manager that generally has done it, is one of the most controversial managers of the prem era.

Any other examples you can think off made against 80m, 300K players chased for 2 seasons...especially has your comments just slashed 60% of any potential fee? To add insult to injury, told everyone the reason why?
ozil at arsenal?
pepe also got his contract terminated?
What has Sancho done to get that status other than his inflated pricetag and wage? He's gambled his carrier on some minor shit ffs..

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Not sure what the capital letters are about, it was a hypothetical example more relevant to a 'Joe Public' situation. I'm not suggesting thats what he said.

What he did say was pretty unprecedented and not something you hear managers comment about, as they know that it gets exactly this kind of reaction....unless of course they want it to?

If your boss says anything publicly to anyone that you believe isnt true, maybe you would. Maybe he has lied, work for enough managers that have. Like said, everyones reactions are different, you can see how people react on here to total strangers offering just a different opinion!!!!!

I'm not saying Sancho is right but unlike you, Im not saying he is wrong either. Im just saying EtH has already proven to his views to be 'inconsistent' (lied) about a number of things, most recently around Varane and maybe around DDG too.

Not unusual football managers to lie, normally its the other way and they say they have a niggle, twinge or ill. Less controversial ironically.....
Didn't Poch say a similar thing about one of his players the other day?
It's really nothing new or anywhere near as controversial as you keep trying to make out.

The Bloody-Nine

What he did say was pretty unprecedented
No. No, it wasn't. At all.

The fact that you keep having to lie to attempt to make your argument is very telling.

criticalanalysis

Its controversial cause the only manager that generally has done it, is one of the most controversial managers of the prem era.
:lol:

Pep said Phillips was overweight and Nunes had a poor first touch.

Criticise ETH all you want but stop making things up to fit your agenda ffs.

USREDEVIL

regardless of the issue with ETH, i think ditching Sancho would have been a good move considering the wages he's on. This makes it virtually a done deal but the money we will get will decrease.

Litch

Didn't Poch say a similar thing about one of his players the other day?
It's really nothing new or anywhere near as controversial as you keep trying to make out.
If you add up how many prem manager interviews over decades, these kind of comments arent a regular occurrence of this kind. It is absolutely a rarity that a manager specifically speaks out about a players performance in training not being good enough or to an acceptable standard so he didnt make the squad.

People can argue about whether Sancho should have responded in the way he did, but to suggest that this isnt controversial is absolute nonsense.

Couple it with the same manager agreeing that he spends months away from the club, and it potentially be related to mental health issues, then publicly responding to a question about Sancho he didnt have to answer, not controversial or unprecedented at all....happens every season.

Now theres talk about not selling him in Jan so if he doesnt agree to a loan deal (they cant make him), this continues to linger around the club like a bad smell.

Not controversial, every club has a 75m 300K player eating his lunch in his car....

Litch

No. No, it wasn't. At all.

The fact that you keep having to lie to attempt to make your argument is very telling.
Lie, its a public forum where people post opinions, its no argument. Im not trying to win or lose, there is no prize or medals being handed out. The only two people's truth that's relevant, is EtH and Sancho.

The Bloody-Nine

Lie, its a public forum where people post opinions, its no argument. Im not trying to win or lose, there is no prize or medals being handed out. The only two people's truth that's relevant, is EtH and Sancho.
You literally claimed what ETH said was "unprecedented".

unprecedented
adjective
UK /ʌnˈpres.ɪ.den.tɪd/ US /ʌnˈpres.ə.den.t̬ɪd/
Add to word list
C2
never having happened or existed in the past:

You lied, and I will gladly provide examples of managers saying what ETH said, if you deem it necessary?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Nah, just an opinion. We all can have one, and no body has the monopoly of knowledge even if they dont agree.
Its not an opinion when you claim Ten Hag is one of the only managers to do it, when you were quickly sat down with two examples from Pep.

That would actually be more of a cherry picking of history to make Ten Hag's statements sound abnormal.

What IS unprecedented is a manager allowing a top earner 70m+ signing 3 months break midway through the season, unrelated to injury, just to get his headspace together. And then that player returning and still being an unprofessional cnut.

Litch

You literally claimed what ETH said was "unprecedented".

unprecedented
adjective
UK /ʌnˈpres.ɪ.den.tɪd/ US /ʌnˈpres.ə.den.t̬ɪd/
Add to word list
C2
never having happened or existed in the past:

You lied, and I will gladly provide examples of managers saying what ETH said, if you deem it necessary?
Lied? So you are making assumptions that I knew it wasnt true? I think it was unprecedented due to a unique set of circumstances, but again thats my opinion. Not sure why you are intent in proving me wrong, when theres no 'right'.
If it helps, you win todays forum medal for persistence.

Last edited:

UnRational

One of the dumbest fecking posts I’ve read on this site in all my years here.